Rick Ratlin's World

• Thread starter rick ratlin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Beautiful job in that lab of yours! Nice craftsmanship and awesome looking plants. I love when I see gardens where I can tell just by looking at photos that the grower is enthused and loves what he's doing.

Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the kind words!
Wish I had your garage, your build up was real nice. Jealous of the Dreamstar. Looks like your crushing it. FWIW, I run digital titan timers for my lights, and never had one fail.
Anybody who is cool with Ricky and the rest of the greasy Trailer park boys is alright by me. That's a nice fucking kitty you have there too. Bokashi makes an excellent kitty litter amendment too, really knocks the smell out too.

This has to be one of the most hands on grow journal's I have came across nice job! An you have a really nice an clean setup I imagine your thread will help some people who are trying to setup the beds in there room because of your attention to detail! I'm here for the long haul! @rick ratlin

Get comfortable, pack a bowl of that sweet GDP you grow. I've never had the Chemdog D, but a purple with that strength is a real nice find! Thank you

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
hi rick. I really like your work!
Thanks @VERMONTSKUNKS! Subbed up for your BOG thread. I've gotta lot of military in my family, Army, Navy, Marines, and Airforce. WW2 all the way to the present. All badasses, and great human beings. Hopefully these new strains will do well for you. Although I am using coco now, I think some of my probiotic methods would work great for your soil grows. I'll get into a good pest/fungal control regimen using only microbes, molasses, and a few green things, in the next few days, stay tuned!

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Hey brother, thanks for the compliments! I gave up on the trees, running 3x3 coco dominant super soil beds w/ the blumats. Been running this mix for a while but it's my first run in these beds. Loving it so far. Needs some brokashi tho.

You're right about trimming dry! I quit doing such an aggressive leg shaving just so I could use those lowers for fresh frozen IWE. Sometimes ill just take one whole plant down just for some fresh frozen. It's worth it to me, the quality difference is pretty drastic.

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Hope everyone had a great Holiday and New Year! I have only been home for a 2 days since my last post. Really busy, I didn't even get to couch tour Phish's New Years shows. Lots of good stuff going on, new babies, new jobs, should be a great new year.
Unfortunately, my camera sank like the titanic in a bowl of Thanksgiving punch, so I haven't taken any new pics. I should have my new baby camera on Monday when I FINALLY get back home. I'll get some pics going then and give my summation of the grow up to this point. Been a long holiday. Last time I saw the garden (about 14 days ago) everything looked pretty good. As good as an unmonitored garden can look I guess. I left 2 RAoRgE phenos to keep finishing up, they should be about 78 days in. Before I left I pulled a few testers and put in some Strawberry Mango Haze from Top Dawg, my personal favorite. When I get back the cloner should be rocking and ready to plant for the next run.

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Everything is all good everyone, life is just throwing curveballs at the moment. I just got back from a funeral, my Granddad past last week, and I'm just getting back to regular life. It was his time, and he's free from all worldly pains. I also got to hear some amazing stories about him. Also, the deads 50th anniversary announcement had me scrambling for envelopes, money orders, and colored pencils. The Room is all good, just started the flush on Tuesday before I flew out. I hope everyone is crushing it. I'll have updates and pics this weekend.

soserthc1

soserthc1

Sorry to hear about gramps ....
It's always better to see people leave that have lived a full life .
Look forward to the pictures
Be well

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
I got a minute to post up, and want to catch everyone up. So theres no pics from November 17th to January 7th, but I did get a replacement camera. Before I get in to the current pics ,which are of day 37 of the mango hazes and day 52 of the Stardawg, I'd like to share some thoughts on the grow up to that point.
Because of my impending crazy schedule, I chose this run to be flowered immediately upon transplant to the 4x4 coco beds. The beds were planted with a mix of Stardawg and the new seed run (RAoRgE, Lemon Alien Dawg or LAD, Sour Sister, and Strawberry Mango Haze). Unfortunately, they stalled out due to grower error. Looking back, I should have waited until the plants bounced back from transplant to add the bokashi/cocoa shell mulch layer. I also greatly overwatered the beds the first time, and probably overdid it with the microbes/teas added as well. The beds stayed wet for days, and for my first time growing, I lost 3 plants in flower. Some in a couple of days, some in 10-12 days. Total stem/root rot on 3 plants, and after they were pulled, I noticed these 3 in particular were planted deeper than the others. Combine all of that with the fact I put the mulch layer all the way to the trunks of the plants, disaster was bound to happen. I should have paid attention and copied my exact transplant method for the previous and first run in coco. So, with all that we had 3 dead, and most doing well, and some just surviving. I immediately planted my back up clones on November 18th and started vegging them in 5.5" pots of coco. Live and Learn.
So the dead were pulled, and back-up plants were vegged for 2 weeks and planted on December 1st to fill the gaps. I usually try to follow med-mans plan of 4, but didn't this time. Luckily I did have extra clones just chilling in the cloner. Unfortunately, these were about 2 weeks behind the stardawg in flower. However, I like to run this stardawg for 80 days, leaving the multi strains to flower about 65 days, so on paper it should work out.
From December 1st to January 3rd, the back up plants grew nicely and without any serious issue. Running just a two part base (Heavy 16) and Heavy Fire with the Heavy Foliar, and not being in the grow but a couple days a month, you're bound to have plants that need more of this, and less than that. (Not a knock on Heavy, it happens when you run multi strains with the same feed) Some have a bit of claw, some mag deficient. Others want more water, others less. Anyway, I tried to foliar the days I was there. Looks like I have some serious lengthy phenos, the 2 RoARgE phenos need at least 75 days, as well as 1 Sour Sister. The LADs are really quick. I'm getting purple fade as soon as 46 days on 1 particular pheno. All smell really terrific. (edit: give yourself a pat on the back if you read and understood this long ass post)

Last edited:
rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
January 7th, 2015
This is a day 80 Roarge
Completely smells like you're standing in the wet suit section of the Surf Shop
DSC 1046

Day 37 multi strains/ Day 52 of Stardawg
Stardawg day 52 Just beginning to start it up
DSC 1019

Strawberry Mango Haze #3 day 37 (She's my daily sativa go-to) She's a light feeder, and got burned.
DSC 1035

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
January 7th Continued
All pics are day 37

Strawberry Mango Haze #4 pheno day 37(Big airy bud producer, well balanced high, with a nice mango flavor.
DSC 1015

Lemon Alien Dawg (LAD) #2 day 37(it has really thick hairy white hairs that just fall over. Very fragrantly fruity and looks like a very fast finisher.
DSC 1034

LAD #1 day 37(nice smell, already showing some color. Does have some claw the fan leaves that is not shown
DSC 1027

Last edited:
rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Here's a Sour Sister (Top Dawg) Killer citrus smell at this point day 37
DSC 1048

And here's a full room shot day 37/52 The dead looking plant is on day 85, its a RoARgE pheno that is absolutely devastating. It's a crappy canopy, but at least I've got 14 strains to sample from after its done. But seriously, if I did this for a living I'd fire myself for not being on the job.
DSC 1055

Well thats all the time i've got. Next post will be current pictures, and auto watering set up.

B

Burned Haze

Wow everything is looking great and the SOG looks great . What would u say is ur favorite smelling strain in there ? ( hope you didnt mention it already )

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
all I can say is WOW!!!!!
Thanks Chickenman, I hope all is well with you and that your intern is getting by.

Sorry to hear about gramps ....
It's always better to see people leave that have lived a full life .
Look forward to the pictures
Be well
I appreciate the kind words Soserthc1.

Wow everything is looking great and the SOG looks great . What would u say is ur favorite smelling strain in there ? ( hope you didnt mention it already )
@burnedhaze thank you kindly. Right now my favorite smells are coming from the 2 phenos of LAD, and also the 2 RoARgE phenos.

Last edited:
rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
I never mentioned how my seed run turned out.
I got 3 females of the RoARgE (Golden Lion): #3 was a runt, but loud as hell; #4 has a medium stretch. turns purple at the end, and smells like a brand new wetsuit. Smooth smoke, a real earthy flavor. It starts off with a real pretty citrus smell before it finishes completely different. Takes between 70- 80 days, toward 80 it turns purple. RoARgE #5 is a bit picky. Probably needs a higher dose of Cal Mag, and takes about 85 days to finish flowering. It is ,however, by far the strongest smoke of the 3. Smells like Banana Runts.

I got 2 females of the Lemon Alien Dawg LAD (Alien Genetics) Both are low stretch, and exhibited some claw this grow. The number 1 is a nice orange citrus smell with some funk. #2 has a louder lemon sweet tart smell. I can't wait to sample these.

I got 3 females of the Sour Sister (Top Dawg) #3 is a short, stocky plant with very little stretch, and just chem smells #4 has a nice chem, garlic smell. #5 has almost no smell at all. I have not finished these yet, so they about 10 days left to finish.

Big League Billy (Golden Lion Genetics), Funkberry (Pisces Genetics) and EWOK (Alien Genetics) were all males and subsequently culled.

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Here's the Banana Runt RoARgE #5 Pheno, gonna have to work on this one next run, I think adding a cal mag foliar will help. I also wasn't able to stay on top of the Heavy 16 foliar this run.
day 53
DSC 1073

Here's the RoARgE #4 Pheno, it looks like it grew out of its trifoliate structure. Dark Green leaves on this one.
Day 53
DSC 1070

Another Angle
DSC 1071

Another Branch RoARgE #4
DSC 1072

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Here's the Stardawg, day 68 now starting to pack that weight
DSC 1068

I'll try to take pics tomorrow and show the Sour Sisters. The Stardawgs are currently day 71, and the other strains are day 56.

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
I also forgot to mention, looks like I have Hypoaspis Miles. Tons of them in the beds. They come up to the surface whenever I water. I'm not sure where they came from, either a bag of coco, or the cocoa bean shells. I first noticed them around January when I set up the auto watering system.
I'm not sure if the high levels of Hypoaspis Miles I have in the beds are having a negative effect on the plants themselves. I assume that they have been feeding on the mycelium layer throughout the mulch layer, as it is not as full and white as it was weeks ago. If anybody has any input on this, please chime in. Here's a shot of them crawling on the fabric liner.
DSC 0990

Last edited:
Top Bottom