Road Kill Skunk - Ester Alcohols, Train-wreck and the Catpiss Connection

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Culture shock for me was moving to Oceanside California in 1990-1991.
You could not get any kill bud there at the time, it was strictly dirt weed from south of the border.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Culture shock for me was moving to Oceanside California in 1990-1991.
You could not get any kill bud there at the time, it was strictly dirt weed from south of the border.
Yeah that doesn't surprise me because the market was still really black back then. Those years that you moved to Oceanside was when CAMP was really in full swing. It was the DARE anti-drug movement in all the public schools. I remember when I was a kid in Elementary school in Huntington beach public school I went through all of that. Everyone saying weed was the devil. The CAMP war on cannabis was especially strong in California because Humboldt was going bananas back then. So when you say the herb was shitty in SoCal back then I actually don't doubt you cuz guys were getting popped constantly. The muy fuego was all super hush hush cuz the German Shepherds were in full force. Plus Oceanside is pretty close to the Mexican boarder so Im sure there was a ton of brick-weed for cheap.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

But just to clarify in no way am I claiming that CA is the home of the RKS. All my studies and research point to the Midwest. Primarily certain parts of the Appalachias super rural communities where illegal moonshiners and other fringe members of society kept the skunk genes pure and it wasn't all cross bred. This I totally believe to be true no doubt. OGs on the other hand primarily originated from FL and CA.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Sorry fella not hating on you, just cajoling. Users here know I'm functionally retarded. I hope you find your stuff from the glory days; if you do I'd like to sample some.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

There was still skunk in the MidWest in the 2000’s Not RKS, mostly outdoor though. It was all relatively true breeding for a long time. I always assumed it was humidity here that made weed so skunky. I remember being young and my dad had me convinced that a skunk was living next to our garage one year lol. Took me a few years to put that one all together

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Anybody smell a skunk lately? They don’t even smell that skunky anymore!! I blame global warming lmao everything was better in my day!!
Found it:)

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

There was still skunk in the MidWest in the 2000’s Not RKS, mostly outdoor though. It was all relatively true breeding for a long time. I always assumed it was humidity here that made weed so skunky. I remember being young and my dad had me convinced that a skunk was living next to our garage one year lol. Took me a few years to put that one all together
Yeah man I believe you. The 80s and 90s were the pinnacle of the cannabis skunk era but in the 2000s there was still a little bit of skunky stuff still going around. It completely disappeared soon after that. By the 2010s it was well gone. Its been gone for a while now.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Yeah man I believe you. The 80s and 90s were the pinnacle of the cannabis skunk era but in the 2000s there was still a little bit of skunky stuff still going around. It completely disappeared soon after that. By the 2010s it was well gone. Its been gone for a while now.
For real I’m from a really rural community so there were some holdouts but they pretty much gave it up around then as well. Good ole war on drugs

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

But this is why I wanted to start this thread so we can talk about the genetics. I simply wanted to share my Old school Train-wreck experience because after listening to Kevin Jodrey it sounds like the Ester Alcohols that were lost accounted for a lot of the potent smells of the era. And the specific Train-wreck pheno that I had back then DEFINETLY had these alcohols. Its those extremely volatile alcohol and fat based compounds that used to occur naturally in the flower. So volatile that you cant make extracts with it, were talking exclusively smoking cannabis. Super oily and fatty when you pick apart the nug, every little calyx sticks to you fingers you gotta flick em off. This is what I want this thread to focus on. I have been using the term Ammonia a lot as a smell descriptor but actually now that I think about it... The smell Im talking about is like a cross between Ammonia and Rubbing Alcohol. I have yet to ever hear ANYONE not even 1 single person (Outside of Kevin Jodrey in his video) ever mention the strain Train-wreck when discussing the old extinct skunks. So all Im saying is maybe this might be a good place to perhaps look for some experimental breeding.

Has anyone out there ever smoked the Ammoniated Catpiss version of Train-wreck? The old one from the 80s? Or the HogsBreathe? Or hell even an Ammoniated skunk. If anyone has these strains or if you know someone who might please let me know! Even if its something similar. 🙏 Im trying to bring together a handful of strains together from the past. I will pay you big cash for a real cut. Im not a sloucher I got dough I will put my money where my mouth is. If I cant find the Ammonia/Alcohols in a direct cut then Im hoping to do some big open pollination runs between these exclusive vintage lines. If I pop enough beans my thought is I might be able to find one of those recessive phenos that has the Ester Alcohol in it. The nose burn sting.

I know a lot of people say that the skunk they smoked did NOT have the Ammonia/Rubbing Alcohol smell. That must mean that the version of skunk they were smoking probably was super high in the skunk terps profile but didn't have the Ester alcohol. I firmly believe that RKS was NOT a single strain it was actually an era in cannabis. There was a time in the US when the skunk flower was REALLY good and if you traveled around the country then you would likely find that the flower variations are not always identical. There were different versions floating around of what everyone is now referring to as "RKS". This is the best explanation for why everyone is arguing about the way it smells. There were different variations of what everyone is calling RKS. I want to stop arguing about it and start cooperating together to try to bring a collective of vintage strains together. Both Ammoniated/Alcohal skunks and non Alcohol skunks too! Im open to anything that is legit! Females and males both! If I start splashing around the pollen who knows? Maybe I will get lucky and find a Unicorn again like I did in college. If I do I would gladly share it with everyone on the THCFarm! I don't hoard shit I believe everyone should be openly trading together. It makes our grow community stronger.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

But this is why I wanted to start this thread so we can talk about the genetics. I simply wanted to share my Old school Train-wreck experience because after listening to Kevin Jodrey it sounds like the Ester Alcohols that were lost accounted for a lot of the potent smells of the era. And the specific Train-wreck pheno that I had back then DEFINETLY had these alcohols. Its those extremely volatile alcohol and fat based compounds that used to occur naturally in the flower. So volatile that you cant make extracts with it, were talking exclusively smoking cannabis. Super oily and fatty when you pick apart the nug, every little calyx sticks to you fingers you gotta flick em off. This is what I want this thread to focus on. I have been using the term Ammonia a lot as a smell descriptor but actually now that I think about it... The smell Im talking about is like a cross between Ammonia and Rubbing Alcohol. I have yet to ever hear ANYONE not even 1 single person (Outside of Kevin Jodrey in his video) ever mention the strain Train-wreck when discussing the old extinct skunks. So all Im saying is maybe this might be a good place to perhaps look for some experimental breeding.

Has anyone out there ever smoked the Ammoniated Catpiss version of Train-wreck? The old one from the 80s? Or the HogsBreathe? Or hell even an Ammoniated skunk. If anyone has these strains or if you know someone who might please let me know! Even if its something similar. 🙏 Im trying to bring together a handful of strains together from the past. I will pay you big cash for a real cut. Im not a sloucher I got dough I will put my money where my mouth is. If I cant find the Ammonia/Alcohols in a direct cut then Im hoping to do some big open pollination runs between these exclusive vintage lines. If I pop enough beans my thought is I might be able to find one of those recessive phenos that has the Ester Alcohol in it. The nose burn sting.

I know a lot of people say that the skunk they smoked did NOT have the Ammonia/Rubbing Alcohol smell. That must mean that the version of skunk they were smoking probably was super high in the skunk terps profile but didn't have the Ester alcohol. I firmly believe that RKS was NOT a single strain it was actually an era in cannabis. There was a time in the US when the skunk flower was REALLY good and if you traveled around the country then you would likely find that the flower variations are not always identical. There were different versions floating around of what everyone is now referring to as "RKS". This is the best explanation for why everyone is arguing about the way it smells. There were different variations of what everyone is calling RKS. I want to stop arguing about it and start cooperating together to try to bring a collective of vintage strains together. Both Ammoniated/Alcohal skunks and non Alcohol skunks too! Im open to anything that is legit! Females and males both! If I start splashing around the pollen who knows? Maybe I will get lucky and find a Unicorn again like I did in college. If I do I would gladly share it with everyone on the THCFarm! I don't hoard shit I believe everyone should be openly trading together. It makes our grow community stronger.
If I’m not mistaken Trainwreck was an Arcata strain? Maybe cruise up to the bar on the plaza square some weekend and ask around. Always old heads and farm workers chilling around there.

Anthem

Anthem

BB on one of the RKS rants around here it was stated that the skunk was breed out of the strain on purpose. If you take a look the time frame for that happening and the war on drugs it does make sense. So hopefully you can either find a cut with the correct Pheno type or like you mentioned be lucking on some pollen chucking.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

BB on one of the RKS rants around here it was stated that the skunk was breed out of the strain on purpose. If you take a look the time frame for that happening and the war on drugs it does make sense. So hopefully you can either find a cut with the correct Pheno type or like you mentioned be lucking on some pollen chucking.
Exactly. The smell was getting everyone busted so they just stopped growing it and started crossing and breeding the fruity stuff instead. The way I see it the more "Pure bred" the skunky pungent vintage varieties the better. Meaning they are not crossed with any of the modern stuff. I figure if i use the most pure bred stock for breeding then it will increase my odds of finding an Ester Alcohol phenotypes. I want that loud and rude boarder-line offensive experience.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

If I’m not mistaken Trainwreck was an Arcata strain? Maybe cruise up to the bar on the plaza square some weekend and ask around. Always old heads and farm workers chilling around there.
Yes you are correct its an Arcata strain from way back in the day long long ago. A lot of mystery around this one too. Not totally sure exactly who is responsible for it there is a local legend about a train-wreck that happened. Thats how it got its name not because of the way it makes you feel. Its because the growers were apparently doing an illegal outdoor grow over near the train-tracks and one day a railcar came off the track and the authorities came to assist with the emergency. The guerrilla growers had to flee the scene and abandon the grow as to not be seen by the law enforcement that were surrounding the area. In their mad dash escape rumor has it they ran down the crop line and started frantically taken cuts so that the genetics from their amazing outdoor grow would not be lost. one of those surviving cuts was the unicorn and the crew just named the strain "TrainWreck" because it all happened on the day the train actually wrecked over by their grow field.

I would love to drive up to Arcata and talk to someone about this however unfortunately Arcata is an 11hr 30min drive from where I live in SoCal. I would totally make the drive if I was meeting someone who had it. But to drive up just to ask around might be kinda tough lol 😂

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Quick update on JRs Skunk project over at oldschoolchronic.com

He posted this yesterday on his Instagram. I would have shared the link so you could watch the video however his account is private and it doesnt let me do that apparently. I snapped screenshots just so you know. This is is best one thus far and its what he will be releasing soon. Everything from a genetics standpoint that went into this line is from KENTUCKY and everything is either from the 80s or 90s. This particular strain was derived from crossing a 1996 Kentucky skunk with another vintage Kentucky strain. The plant in this picture is fully seeded. You can even see the male pollen flowers all over her yet you can see still frosty as fuck! 3 color phenos... a darker purple, medium shade, and a green pheno. This is gonna be very legit fellas the seeds were gifted to JR from the real backwoods moonshiner families in KY...

Screen Shot 2022 04 02 at 91109 AM

Screen Shot 2022 04 02 at 91138 AM

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

Wonder how soon for that one...
His monster piss is looking mighty tasty. And the skunk piss. And well... everything he's got looks phenomenal.

Top Bottom