Road Kill Skunk - Ester Alcohols, Train-wreck and the Catpiss Connection

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

IF you are familoiar with People's olifactory systmes they work in cycles to protect the Mind. Like back to the CaveMan days when our Noses would need to turn off to the stench of our dirty Cave brothers during the winter...
Yessir. Exactly my point. Most dogs have that cycle faster at first then slows down to protect the brain, just like you said. I should have been more clear lol

Dothraki

Dothraki

New Research Confirms How Cannabis Gets Its Skunky Smell

Each cannabis strain has its own aroma, some being more distinctive than others. All, however, share a “skunky” scent that has become widely associated with cannabis by users and non-users alike. But where exactly does this smell come from—and are skunkier-smelling strains better?
A study published in November 2021 in the peer-reviewed journal ACS Omega holds many of the answers. While many have speculated that the skunk smell could be attributed to the terpenes, or aromatic compounds, of cannabis, the research team behind the study actually discovered a whole new class of volatile sulfur compounds (VSCs) to thank for the cannabis-skunk phenomenon.
Yeah I lump those in with terpenes when speaking of how a strain smells, although not technically correct in all instances…it gets the point across. Honestly I never really thought about how or where the terpenes or other sources of smells originated, I just knew what I liked and when it was good. Once federal listing is changed maybe we will start to see some serious large scale research being done and published. You know some plant biologist somewhere has a vault of every strain‘s seed imaginable, preserved, locked in an underground environment controlled research preservation facility in the middle of Antarctica with some guy that lives down there with a 1980’s lab computer and cycles the air filters and shit. Just waiting for the green light. Probably old and slow, eating fish for the past 35 years, making coffee every morning, turning the filters, checking the volumetric pressures, etc.

Anthem

Anthem

How do they know if they don't have a skunk plant to use??? 🤔
Good Point. I am kind of surprised by something that could be added to this discussion. About 6 months ago I gave a new grower cuts of a strain I have been running for years. I was well aware of the terp profile from growing it for so long. I taught the guy out to grow at first. FFOF and Botanical Pure Blend Pro. Well he finished the run and I got a hold of some of his finished product. Here is why I am posting in this discuss. The smell was nothing like what I expected from the strain. I have grown the plant in soil, coco and hydro and it kind of always smelled the same. Fruity with gas smells. It was the Botanicare that changed the profile. The smell profile was very familiar to me because I knew a couple guys that were using the same nutrients but I did not know that until I smelled this new batch of a know strain.
Considering how long gone the skunk has been. Is is possible part of the smell can be attributed to nutrients? I can further confirm there is something to this because I was using Athena Pro Line and pretty much every single cultivar had a very similar flavor profile. I am wondering if these old time growers had something they were throwing in with the soil to help bring out the smell profile. Remember this was all BM back then and anything basically could be used.

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

Good Point. I am kind of surprised by something that could be added to this discussion. About 6 months ago I gave a new grower cuts of a strain I have been running for years. I was well aware of the terp profile from growing it for so long. I taught the guy out to grow at first. FFOF and Botanical Pure Blend Pro. Well he finished the run and I got a hold of some of his finished product. Here is why I am posting in this discuss. The smell was nothing like what I expected from the strain. I have grown the plant in soil, coco and hydro and it kind of always smelled the same. Fruity with gas smells. It was the Botanicare that changed the profile. The smell profile was very familiar to me because I knew a couple guys that were using the same nutrients but I did not know that until I smelled this new batch of a know strain.
Considering how long gone the skunk has been. Is is possible part of the smell can be attributed to nutrients? I can further confirm there is something to this because I was using Athena Pro Line and pretty much every single cultivar had a very similar flavor profile. I am wondering if these old time growers had something they were throwing in with the soil to help bring out the smell profile. Remember this was all BM back then and anything basically could be used.
Now days, no. Back in the 90's if you used to much nitrogen in flower, using GH, it would make your buds taste spicy and off. That's why flushing used to be kinda part of it. Now everything is mostly organic inputs.

D

DrToboggan

How do they know if they don't have a skunk plant to use??? Like, what are they using for a base line? 🤔
I read the original paper a while ago, so bear with me if my memory is incorrect. IIRC, they used a combo of gas phase chromatography inline with mass spec. The chromatography separates the volatiles, while the mass spec is used to id the compounds. I think they had a “sniffer” port in chromatographic separation, which allowed them to smell each chemical species. They grew a few strains and measured which ones had the highest concentration of “skunky” aromas. Pretty cool paper!

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

Bring on the Volitile Sulfur Compounds.... Did you know 'we' are like 10% Sulfur by weight? Makes me want to take some MSM...

Dothraki

Dothraki

It’s a good thought…but I’ve had it from indoor, outdoor and everything from Miracle Grow to organic and was always that same nostril flaring 3 mile scent trail.

I‘ll tell you what killed the genetics, fucking Richard Nixon and his war against humanity. And every piece of shit that’s come after him in the same seat, all of their cabinets full of dirty scumbag criminals and dirtbag colleagues and associates. It’s the United States Mafia, that’s why Skunk isn’t around anymore.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

It’s a good thought…but I’ve had it from indoor, outdoor and everything from Miracle Grow to organic and was always that same nostril flaring 3 mile scent trail.

I‘ll tell you what killed the genetics, fucking Richard Nixon and his war against humanity. And every piece of shit that’s come after him in the same seat, all of their cabinets full of dirty scumbag criminals and dirtbag colleagues and associates. It’s the United States Mafia, that’s why Skunk isn’t around anymore.
Yes I agree. I have grown weed in all styles indoor, greenhouse, outdoor. Also with all types of grow mediums from bloom boosters to straight organics. I think it was the breeding that killed skunk. People started focusing on Fruit tones when CAMP was raiding the NorCal farms decades back. The K9 dogs were getting too close and it pushed shit indoors and farmers started focusing on fruit instead of the nose burn. Fuck Richard Nixon the war on drugs killed skunk.

Anthem

Anthem

I understand. In what part of the world do you live?

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

Did you know 'we' are like 10% Sulfur by weight?
Sorry I must have exageratted...: Sulfur is an essential component of all living cells. It is the seventh or eighth most abundant element in the human body by weight, about equal in abundance to potassium, and slightly greater than sodium and chlorine. A 70 kg (150 lb) human body contains about 140 grams of sulfur.

D

DrToboggan

I‘ll tell you what killed the genetics, fucking Richard Nixon and his war against humanity. And every piece of shit that’s come after him in the same seat, all of their cabinets full of dirty scumbag criminals and dirtbag colleagues and associates. It’s the United States Mafia, that’s why Skunk isn’t around anymore

Another interesting point about thiols is their protective role in plants. Thiols are potent antioxidants in plants and serve to scavenge free radicals from oxidative stress. UV can certainly generate oxidative stress in plants, so maybe outdoor bud gets enough uv in some environments to stimulate up regulation of thiol producing genes.

Anecdotally, I’ve noticed a skunk smell in my tent after my UV b bulb turns off. This run I’m cranking it up to see if it helps with the stink.

Of course, the genes have to be there in the first place. So choosing the right cultivar is priority #1.

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

Another interesting point about thiols is their protective role in plants. Thiols are potent antioxidants in plants and serve to scavenge free radicals from oxidative stress. UV can certainly generate oxidative stress in plants, so maybe outdoor bud gets enough uv in some environments to stimulate up regulation of thiol producing genes.

Anecdotally, I’ve noticed a skunk smell in my tent after my UV b bulb turns off. This run I’m cranking it up to see if it helps with the stink.

Of course, the genes have to be there in the first place. So choosing the right cultivar is priority #1.
Interesting you brought up UV. I noticed that using UV and IR (I'm actually thinking it's more the IR) indoors brings out more of the skunky smells. I can def notice the difference.

shaganja

shaganja

Omg yes! The grow I trim for, uses it, and everything grown with athena tastes like athena. It over powers the terp expression of the plant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom