Road Kill Skunk - Ester Alcohols, Train-wreck and the Catpiss Connection

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

I'm looking to add it in, but you've both given me more confidence that it could make a difference.........even if that difference is only a bit more terpene intensity, that alone would be worth it.

For you, and BackBoo.... ;).....why during flower only? Do you think they could go for s little acclimation to the UVÙ? What/how many hours do you use it, and how do you add IR? I Have 1 full spectrum and 1 full spectrum that leans more red. I was thinking 1-2 hrs a day, I don't know if whether the first hours or last hours of the 12 on are better, but I'm willing to try it in a variety of ways.
I have been turning on my UV bulbs during the later half of the flowering process. I leave them on for 3 hours right in the middle of the 12 hour light cycle. But as mentioned by I_Grow_Skunk other growers sometimes add them at the end of the days light cycle. I’m not really sure which is better I simply went off of others recommendations when I set them up. It’s supposed to increase terpene production in theory.

Last edited:
Dothraki

Dothraki

That just went way over my head..... ;)

Any studies done on IR? Obviously we go a bit more red spectrum for flowering, but I've never seen anything on infrared.
It raises leaf temperatures to allow for better transpiration for one. I’ve noticed that LED’s tend to bring out foxtail traits more so than HID or the sun…not from experience but from digging around. I think what happens is with LED there is no IR light to speak of…which means leaf temps are lower, and in order to bring them up to optimal temps you have to run the tent (or room) a lot hotter, like temps in the 80s (26-29c for the Canadians). I also have a strong belief that these LED’s are not producing the same quality that HID’s always have. Again, only speaking from experience smoking, not growing myself.

I suppose this isn’t an issue for outdoor growers…but IR is definitely something the plant needs to run healthy and strong. On the other hand…LED’s are just too damn convenient, more cost effective and less hazardous so that’s why I chose led.

Anyway, yeah, maybe it’s possible the lack of IR has an effect on volatile sulfur compounds but I doubt it’s enough to notice..people still grow outside so they would all still have real skunk lol.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

It raises leaf temperatures to allow for better transpiration for one. I’ve noticed that LED’s tend to bring out foxtail traits more so than HID or the sun…not from experience but from digging around. I think what happens is with LED there is no IR light to speak of…which means leaf temps are lower, and in order to bring them up to optimal temps you have to run the tent (or room) a lot hotter, like temps in the 80s (26-29c for the Canadians). I also have a strong belief that these LED’s are not producing the same quality that HID’s always have. Again, only speaking from experience smoking, not growing myself.

I suppose this isn’t an issue for outdoor growers…but IR is definitely something the plant needs to run healthy and strong. On the other hand…LED’s are just too damn convenient, more cost effective and less hazardous so that’s why I chose led.

Anyway, yeah, maybe it’s possible the lack of IR has an effect on volatile sulfur compounds but I doubt it’s enough to notice..people still grow outside so they would all still have real skunk lol.
I agree with a lot that you are saying here. I have a really high end LED board its the HLG Scorpion Diablo board and I get rock hard flowers with it. Great bag appeal and quality however one thing that is really annoying is the temperature issue. During the winter even in a warm climate like CA my garage gets rather chilly it dips down into the 50s and with an LED board the plants really struggle with these chillier temps. In the summer when the garage is in the 80s and even 90s the plants actually thrive under the LED. I really don't want to need to heat my whole dam garage in the winter just to heat a 4x4 in the corner. Sometimes I throw my electric space heater over there but it really is a pain and plus the electric heaters drain a ton of electricity. Im actually thinking about getting a used HID perhaps a 1000w system. That way in the winter I run the HID in the garage to help warm up that tent. Then in the Summer I switch lights and run the LED board cuz the temps are ideal for it. Switching between these two light systems during the different season will likely be the best bet for overall plant health IMO.

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

Hell a little space heater would work perfectly. Here in Oklahoma we get over 100 degree ENTIRE MONTHS and the plants thrive as long as your taking care of their water and nutritional needs. The resin production is dumb to

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Hell a little space heater would work perfectly. Here in Oklahoma we get over 100 degree ENTIRE MONTHS and the plants thrive as long as your taking care of their water and nutritional needs. The resin production is dumb to
Yeah I know my problem is always that my tent is jam packed full of plants and I have little space inside for even a small space heater. I see others on the grow forums and they will have like 3 or 4 little plants in a big tent with all this extra space inside. For whatever reason I just cant practice self restrain! Every time I do a grow my tent ends up looking like this...🤣

IMG 3689

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

But yes you are correct if I had the correct style space heater maybe a little one that could be mounted up higher on one of the poles it would likely resolve the issue. I gotta figure something out LOL

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

Yeah I know my problem is always that my tent is jam packed full of plants and I have little space inside for even a small space heater. I see others on the grow forums and they will have like 3 or 4 little plants in a big tent with all this extra space inside. For whatever reason I just cant practice self restrain! Every time I do a grow my tent ends up looking like this...🤣

View attachment 1319949
That's a good problem to have. Nice chunky buds!

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
The last 2-3 hours before lights off, for the last 2-3 weeks of flowering.
Got it. Yeah given where we're at around UV knowledge, I'll probably run it for a few hours a day in the 2nd half of flowering, maybe ease it in a little more each day first.

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

Possible best reason (for me) to run them at the end of Light cycle and 'extending' into the Dark period. This is what I do. Powdery Mildew Spores have a protective mechnism that deactivates at night so UV can kill the spores.

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

Possible best reason (for me) to run them at the end of Light cycle and 'extending' into the Dark period. This is what I do. Powdery Mildew Spores have a protective mechnism that deactivates at night so UV can kill the spores.
I was referring to UV not IR. P.S. ANyone have a link to a good Infrared Panel to combine with LED to rasie Leaf Surface Temperature. P.S> Adding a CMH is probably the best move and diming down LED if necessary...

Last edited:
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter

Those are strong statements to make off of smoking only.........not that you're wrong, it's just tough to say. The first being that LEDs require temps in the 80s, that's pretty hot for any indoor environment (of course, big difference between 80 and 89, whether there'sa direct fan...), I always found the best growth/happiest plants in the low to mid 70s, and a little lower humidity than most others think (of course, there are the more tropical/hotter climate varieties). But I don't know if LEDs require higher temps, I'd like to see more about that, and more info around IR.

As far as overall quality being lower with LEDs vs. HIDs, that's also a strong statement, maybe some of the more inferior, incomplete LEDs don't do as good a job, but I'd like to see comparison with some of the top LEDs that have come out only in the last 2-3 years.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
That's interesting. This is all around "learn one thing, 2 more things pop up" ;).......so probably a dumb question, but UV alone doesn't affect the dark cycle...? I feel like I should already know this.......

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I agree with a lot that you are saying here. I have a really high end LED board its the HLG Scorpion Diablo board and I get rock hard flowers with it. Great bag appeal and quality however one thing that is really annoying is the temperature issue. During the winter even in a warm climate like CA my garage gets rather chilly it dips down into the 50s and with an LED board the plants really struggle with these chillier temps. In the summer when the garage is in the 80s and even 90s the plants actually thrive under the LED. I really don't want to need to heat my whole dam garage in the winter just to heat a 4x4 in the corner. Sometimes I throw my electric space heater over there but it really is a pain and plus the electric heaters drain a ton of electricity. Im actually thinking about getting a used HID perhaps a 1000w system. That way in the winter I run the HID in the garage to help warm up that tent. Then in the Summer I switch lights and run the LED board cuz the temps are ideal for it. Switching between these two light systems during the different season will likely be the best bet for overall plant health IMO.
That's what I went with, I got a Scorpion Diablo, but I also got a Scorpion RSpec. My closet is 6' x 12', so that's a lot of light, more reds for flowering. As you know, we can dial them down early and work up to 100%, but now you really got me thinking about the temp issue. Until now I've been psyched about the fact that the basement stays so cool. We live up north, and even in the heat of July and August, even when it gets above 90f out, the basement never gets above 68f. It's like free air conditioning down there. And I have a dehumidifier. The grow closet is in the boiler room section of the basement. So most of the basement is like a downstairs living room, the entertainment system is down there, it's a great hang out area, and we keep it on the cold side through the winter too (it settles around 57f when I don't put the heat on a little). The boiler room is adjacent to it, and that's where the large closet is. Then it's upstairs to the garage. So I've been payched about this closet, tucked away in a chilly basement area. When I used a Halide years ago in an NYC brick building apartment closet, it was always about getting the temp as low as possible. I ran the A/C in April-May and October when most people didn't, and I always found the plants did the best at the lowest temps and himidity. 75f was better than 80f, but 70f was even better, and they loved 67f and dry.........

I assume these 2 lights, in a closet, are going to bring the temp up, but now you got me wondering if it will be enough, I don't know how much heat these lights will add, but I hope I don't have to keep it up to 80f or higher. I'll see how they do........this will be interesting. Then there's the hotter climate varieties I'll be growing, I'll have to make some adjustments for those too.

Last edited:
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

That's what I went with, I got a Scorpion Diablo, but I also got a Scorpion RSpec. My closet is 6' x 12', so that's a lot of light, more reds for flowering. As you know, we can dial them down early and work up to 100%, but now you really got me thinking about the temp issue. Until now I've been psyched about the fact that the basement stays so cool. We live up north, and even in the heat of July and August, even when it gets above 90f out, the basement never gets above 68f. It's like free air conditioning down there. And I have a dehumidifier. The grow closet is in the boiler room section of the basement. So most of the basement is like a downstairs living room, the entertainment system is down there, it's a great hang out area, and we keep it on the cold side through the winter too (it settles around 57f when I don't put the heat on a little). The boiler room is adjacent to it, and that's where the large closet is. Then it's upstairs to the garage. So I've been payched about this closet, tucked away in a chilly basement area. When I used a Halide years ago in an NYC brick building apartment closet, it was always about getting the temp as low as possible. I ran the A/C in April-May and October when most people didn't, and I always found the plants did the best at the lowest temps and himidity. 75f was better than 80f, but 70f was even better, and they loved 67f and dry.........

I assume these 2 lights, in a closet, are going to bring the temp up, but now you got me wondering if it will be enough, I don't know how much heat these lights will add, but I hope I don't have to keep it up to 80f or higher. I'll see how they do........this will be interesting. Then there's the hotter climate varieties I'll be growing, I'll have to make some adjustments for those too.
Yes you are in basically the same exact camp that I was in. In the sense that everything that I was thinking prior to buying my new LED was always cool cool cool. My mind was stuck in the reality that cooler temps are better for the plants. This is totally true for HIDs and even outdoor or greenhouse because of the more full light spectrum. However I have found out through trial and error that the cool temps do NOT work that great for the LEDs. And that HLG Diablo board is very efficient it puts out an incredible amount of light but barely any heat at all. So this means you really cant depend on the light itself to help keep your space warm. My best flowering runs with my new board have been in the middle of the summer. Don't get me wrong you can still grow with the LEDs in cooler temps but what I noticed is the vigor and speed of growth is effected. It's basically cut in half the veg takes longer they tend to just creep along whereas during the hot time of the year they take off like a rocket. This is what I have noticed personally but its possible there are other factors at play here as well. Im still learning myself.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yes you are in basically the same exact camp that I was in. In the sense that everything that I was thinking prior to buying my new LED was always cool cool cool. My mind was stuck in the reality that cooler temps are better for the plants. This is totally true for HIDs and even outdoor or greenhouse because of the more full light spectrum. However I have found out through trial and error that the cool temps do NOT work that great for the LEDs. And that HLG Diablo board is very efficient it puts out an incredible amount of light but barely any heat at all. So this means you really cant depend on the light itself to help keep your space warm. My best flowering runs with my new board have been in the middle of the summer. Don't get me wrong you can still grow with the LEDs in cooler temps but what I noticed is the vigor and speed of growth is effected. It's basically cut in half the veg takes longer they tend to just creep along whereas during the hot time of the year they take off like a rocket. This is what I have noticed personally but its possible there are other factors at play here as well. Im still learning myself.
Yeah, I'm certainly gonna find out soon. I'm running through my seeds right now, plotting strategy, ready to plant......I've never done the paper towel thing, it scares me a little. Easy to pop, but we've always learned that sprouts are really delicate, don't like to be handled, moved.......i popped a few from the 300++ seeds I made this summer, but when it comes to the 10 Panama Red, or the Thais, or DJ Short stuff.......I can't just experiment and have a high failure rate. I gotta get it right.

I'll start my 1st grow diary here today or tomorrow......I'll even ask for some input on which ones wpuld be cool to run first, and therefore which ones would make interesting crosses.......that should be fun. :)

Dothraki

Dothraki

Those are strong statements to make off of smoking only.
If you mean the statements about leaf temps and such, no, those are facts of the plant and how it lives…as far as quality though, those statements can ONLY be made by smoking. Quality is not apparent in a photo, you can still have harsh flavorless bud that looks amazing.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
But yes you are correct if I had the correct style space heater maybe a little one that could be mounted up higher on one of the poles it would likely resolve the issue. I gotta figure something out LOL
Yeah, today's Delonghi space heaters are even better. This one was under $75 and will easily get any closet warm.....

20230115 153549
plumsmooth

plumsmooth

The idea of switching to LED's to then Add heaters seems nuts. I spent 2 years converting to LED's only to then realize my Leaf Surface Temperatures were under par! Pun Intended after I recognized it.

Seriously though I am glad I didn't get rid of My CMH's. I will be adding one 315 between 2 Scorpion Diablos (Wintertime NorthEast) and hope that does the trick. I will not know how much of the issues I am dealing with nutritionally are due to Low LST until I get them back closer to 80-82? However I seem to get very healthy plants as low as 74-75 LST in Veg But when I switch into flowering is when I notice some issues that may be related to poor transpiration/transport of Nutrients?

I can not find a lot of info on the effect of High Light Low Temperatures...

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
If you mean the statements about leaf temps and such, no, those are facts of the plant and how it lives…as far as quality though, those statements can ONLY be made by smoking. Quality is not apparent in a photo, you can still have harsh flavorless bud that looks amazing.
I guess ot depends on from what temp......to what temp.....

As far as quality, there's strength/THC quality, and all the other aspects, smell, flavor, etc..... if you're saying you've smoked such a variety of both (good) LED grown and non-LED grown to make that jufgement.....with so many other factors at play.... well, I certainly don't want to take away from your personal experiences and preferences. But different strains, LEDs 2016? 2022? How strong and good are these lights? Etc, etc, etc. .

It's all good. All of this talk is only making me more curious and more excited to start.

Top Bottom