Road Kill Skunk - Ester Alcohols, Train-wreck and the Catpiss Connection

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

My state just legalized and I was talking to a buddy about trying to find that late 90s early 2000s skunk again....you are one of the few I've seen talk about it...interested to see what you've been breeding!
Well, for the last 4 or 5 years I've been working with another forum testing the main guy's fem seed and the company he had been working for.
It had it's ups and downs but they were "testers" so I didn't know what was gonna come out of them. Some were fire and some not so much. He didn't create the genetics, he just replicated them. Everything seem to taste the same because of the high THC I guess for making concentrates. I'm a joint smoker and I want flavor which for me, just wasn't there.
So I recently went back to growing my own stock. Last summer ran a batch of seed my sis n law made in 2008. Out of 5 females 4 had the ammonia smell with some sweetness and one that was the Cat Piss pheno. I enjoyed the hell out of smoking her.
Just finished the last of the cat flower about 3 weeks ago.
I was pretty happy with the stability of the traits they were carrying.
We didn't isolate and steer the genetics like everyone else.
We let them breed with multiple male siblings and preserved the genetics.
More growers should've went this route.
There are chunks of the plants "software" missing in today's world.
Just my opinion.
You can tell someone you have the real deal, they will call you a liar and want you to send them seed, that's understandable I guess, for some people. lol
But when you been working with it for over 20 years, when you know, you know. lol
I'm sure there are growers out there with their own versions of the real skunk. Most won't turn lose of them.
Once you let them out, they don't belong to you anymore.
When it's legal to grow everywhere, you will see these, and other classic strains brought out that's been kept hidden away from these IG breeders of todays cannabis.
I'm not impressed with what the weed today has brought to the table.
Honest, it's all about the experience of planting and waiting for the ending outcome, whatever you're growing, cause as long as you're pleased is all that matters.
Everybody needs to quit whinning about not getting what they thought they were gonna get from these Skunk companies. They just don't have it and make shit up to get your dollars. lol
The seed buying game is a roll of the dice anymore.
Not worth my time.
So my plans is growing my own shit and waiting for the laws to be fair for all of us. Then you'll see that great change back to the 80's and 90's flower when shit was happening.
Sorry, I'm getting long winded here.
Good luck to everyone searching for those "lost treasures" of the past. They're out there.
Mine aren't for sale at this time. Maybe one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
MDK

MDK

When my buddies dad used to grow the original "chronic" back in the 90s you were lucky to even be allowed in their driveway around harvest/cure (I would think he still has seed of it, every year he'd grow the "old school funk")

I definitely feel that statement about high thc weed having no flavor sometimes....I even feel like it has lack luster stink on the plant sometimes...or maybe it's just my carbon filter...but idk how a carbon filter could handle some of that old school skunk or chronic or cat piss...

Sure some strains are loud...but back then they all were to an extent...super pungent....it's like the smell sometimes or the taste sometimes or even both has been bred out of it....I do have to consider grower and curing tho...so many people fuck up curing....

MDK

MDK

AKBB has a lot more than whats on his site. And also JBC doesn't list a couple things like his good old NL5xhaze . That is on NEITHER site. But he's got it. Basically you have to email him and see what he has.
Is this that old school m-39 i been looking for? Used to come as bc bud? I'm pretty sure that's the exact mix....

Edit nvm I'm trippin m39 is nl5 x skunk 1

Last edited:
MDK

MDK

Would tissue culture help with any of this? I've been watching some interviews with David Gonzalez and he was explaining how you could revive "lost" strains through tissue culture

Not sure if he meant

A) you can clean up a sick infected clone

Or

B) you could actually bring RKS out of say skunk #1

I did see something about if you precisely cut the sample properly there is a chance to cut off a piece of the dna...and if you do it enough times and test each result you could cut the disease out of the lineage....they went on to discuss reviving a strain....not really sure about tissue culture but I want to know because I'm a strain saving kind of guy...and I think it would be worthwhile to have like 50 strains on deck

MDK

MDK

Yep thats the one everyone is looking for. Please let me know if you find anything remotely close your efforts will be

Hell yeah I bet you anything it was that old school afghani genetics in it. That pure indica thats why it was so fast. If you eventually find a cut of that pleas PM me Im procuring cuts of old strains from many people here on THCFarm I will hook you up big for your efforts. I was chatting with another guy on here and he was talking about a cut that is very similar to that he says its an old school pure indica the fastest flowering strain he has ever ran its a bit finicky to grow you gotta dial it in right but he says once perfected it makes flowers that are stinky AF and fast fast! Im trading as much as possible trying to get a collection of old school cultivars. Im planning to do this massive Pepsi challenge (aka pheno hunt) and reduce it down the single hottest female that I find. Then if I am satisfied enough with it Im gonna then ship back cuts of this champion female to every person who participated in my pheno hunt project and sent me stuff. This way I can pay it back to the community and hopefully send people stuff that is even perhaps better than what they sent me. Its gonna take time to eventually go through all this stuff likely a few seasons but Im confident that if I keep turning through stuff Im bound to stumble on something incredible just a matter of time.
Bro this brings a tear to my eye. My best grow season 1 buddy I had was kind of a sketchy dude but we just clicked, we worked together, he had been to jail a shit ton, we both grew and I let him see my plants and was tripping he would come rip me off, but the guy didn't.

Anyway he was always on the Pepsi challenge shit when it came to weed...his weed vs my weed...his dabs vs my dabs...sadly he passed away but man...true friend and weed legend in my book.

My goal is to create some old school strains and name them after my dead buddies, who all grew with me and all loved a fat junt...man shit, sorry to blow up the thread like 3 posts in a row...up high reading and it won't let me keep editing the same post

MDK

MDK

So it's sounding like it's not that those stank genes/traits have been bred out of the stank skunk, but rather the skunk today is merely a product of our modern day grow tech (e.g. hydro, etc.); that is, the skunk of today has been bred to grow best with the tech of today, which doesn't bring out the stank.
If this is the case, then bringing out that stank should be as simple as switching back to the growing conditions used in the stank days, and after so many generations we should have joy.
I'm in a flood plain, where the Mississippi and Missouri River meet, not sure about sulfuric compounds but with our occasional flood and renewal process...I can say...all my loudest strains were grown outdoor...in mixes of soil pulled from both rivers (Mississippi river mud, Missouri river sand) half the time using fricken miracle grow and tbps of sugar to a gallon of water now and then through flower...2 week flush...

Always got the absolute tastiest and loudest results this way....

My opinion is still out on these store bought nutes...I'm just getting back goin but I feel like I could shit in the pot and get more return for what I spent...

If you are growing outdoor...and you can run a couple clones off same mom...try ya some miracle grow for 10 bucks on one...not gonna kill ya...especially if ya smoked that Mexican brick weed they'd piss on back in the day

Leeboy

Leeboy

I have a line comming in clone form from a buddy a province away . He’s mid 70s and been carrying this strain he calls skunk 🦨. He was given an unhealthy plant and decided to try and keep it going. Lo and behold he says it’s the skunk smells we are looking for. Can’t remember exactly what it is but had some OG in the name. He said he will 1 day courier 🚚 me some clones when it arms up . If it turns out fire 🔥, I’ll need some reverse pollen seed making lessons and can share some seeds with everyone .

MDK

MDK

The last good skunk I used to get dried up in 2004ish. The guy who grew it was a family friend of my good friend from high-school. Dude had been burnt up in a fire and always was medicating with some crazy good dank. His skunk was alot more like the old school skunk...less floral...more offensive. What I can remember is that he called it "super skunk #7" so I'm thinking this dude pheno hunted some super skunk seeds for it....or someone did

He had these cuts in the mid to late 90s up until he lost them around 2004...then he died so there's that

I don't know if super skunk since then has lost its magic or not...but if what he had was to be believed, that skunky goodness was in the strain atleast at one point

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

When my buddies dad used to grow the original "chronic" back in the 90s you were lucky to even be allowed in their driveway around harvest/cure (I would think he still has seed of it, every year he'd grow the "old school funk")

I definitely feel that statement about high thc weed having no flavor sometimes....I even feel like it has lack luster stink on the plant sometimes...or maybe it's just my carbon filter...but idk how a carbon filter could handle some of that old school skunk or chronic or cat piss...

Sure some strains are loud...but back then they all were to an extent...super pungent....it's like the smell sometimes or the taste sometimes or even both has been bred out of it....I do have to consider grower and curing tho...so many people fuck up curing....
Speaking about the weed in the late 90's and early 2000's. If I had know what my buddy was growing up that holler, I'd got a bunch more seeds from him. I'd never seen weed that hairy looking before. I'd name it "Cousin It".
2002, the imported weed Europe and Spain was showing higher CBN levels, weed and seeds were from an earlier time. I had read it in a magazine or online somewhere about 6 or 7 years ago. I thought it was interesting because of the seeds I bought from the seed banks in 2002.
9/11 affected the world in many ways. lol
I'm in a flood plain, where the Mississippi and Missouri River meet, not sure about sulfuric compounds but with our occasional flood and renewal process...I can say...all my loudest strains were grown outdoor...in mixes of soil pulled from both rivers (Mississippi river mud, Missouri river sand) half the time using fricken miracle grow and tbps of sugar to a gallon of water now and then through flower...2 week flush...

Always got the absolute tastiest and loudest results this way....

My opinion is still out on these store bought nutes...I'm just getting back goin but I feel like I could shit in the pot and get more return for what I spent...

If you are growing outdoor...and you can run a couple clones off same mom...try ya some miracle grow for 10 bucks on one...not gonna kill ya...especially if ya smoked that Mexican brick weed they'd piss on back in the day
I've been using Miracle Grow and Pro-Mix as a base medium for almost 50 years.
You don't need all those expensive nutes these companies push on people. They make it sound so complex to grow a weed from seed. lol
But if money is no option, go ahead and make these companies rich.
Invest your money in the "highest affordable" quality lights and the best seed possible.
If you can do basic electronics, you can build lights with all the bells and whistles for a fraction of the cost.
Been DIY'ing LED light systems for close to a decade now.
Pro-Mix is around 35 bucks a bale and does 60 x 1gal pots.
It's not that hard to get a great return on your investment if you work smart.
KISS

MDK

MDK

Yes I heard many people talk about the Christmas Bud from way back in the day. Here in Southern California I never remember the Christmas bud coming around perhaps it was before my time. We did get certain strains sometimes that had a Christmas tree pine smell but I never remember it ever called that it was just random strains that had a pine tree nose. Im glad you like that SSH Catpiss from Old School Chronic. I grew that same one from him along with a few others in his catalogue. He has some great genetics and I don't want to talk shit about him he was always very cool when I dealt with him. However his Catpiss stuff was good but IMO it was not the flaming hot ammonia nose-burn that I remember from my youth. As frosty and beautiful as his SSH Catpiss was I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't quite the donkey punch to the nose that came from that Trainwreck/Skunk Catpiss strain I grew in college. If my TW/Skunk Catpiss was a 10/10 then I would rate JR's SSH Catpiss at like a 6/10. Very frosty and high in THC and beautiful flower and most would LOVE his stuff however from a purely terpene smell perspective it wasn't even in the same ballpark as the terps that came off the TW/skunk Piss I grew back in the day. It was out of control honestly it was so loud it was insane.
Maybe I'm wrong. But I always associated Christmas bud (we got in in missouri) as a time of year thing. I don't think the Christmas tree look was anything to do with it more so the time of year it would show up....and it makes sense after harvest that it would be ready by Christmas

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

Maybe I'm wrong. But I always associated Christmas bud (we got in in missouri) as a time of year thing. I don't think the Christmas tree look was anything to do with it more so the time of year it would show up....and it makes sense after harvest that it would be ready by Christmas
I'd say your right about Xmas bud name.
But a lot of this Skunk grows like xmas trees.
It was one of the ways the plants were hidden was in groves of xmas tree pines on the morning or evening side of hills.

Reactions: MDK
MDK

MDK

I'd say your right about Xmas bud name.
But a lot of this Skunk grows like xmas trees.
It was one of the ways the plants were hidden was in groves of xmas tree pines on the morning or evening side of hills.
Lol that's awesome...I strategically ran rows of asparagus east to west after the last flood killed my rows that ran north to south....I always hid my plants in there but it really kinda missed the morning and evening direct light...it would get a little leak thru but I changed it up so now it'll get full sun

MDK

MDK

Speaking about the weed in the late 90's and early 2000's. If I had know what my buddy was growing up that holler, I'd got a bunch more seeds from him. I'd never seen weed that hairy looking before. I'd name it "Cousin It".
2002, the imported weed Europe and Spain was showing higher CBN levels, weed and seeds were from an earlier time. I had read it in a magazine or online somewhere about 6 or 7 years ago. I thought it was interesting because of the seeds I bought from the seed banks in 2002.
9/11 affected the world in many ways. lol

I've been using Miracle Grow and Pro-Mix as a base medium for almost 50 years.
You don't need all those expensive nutes these companies push on people. They make it sound so complex to grow a weed from seed. lol
But if money is no option, go ahead and make these companies rich.
Invest your money in the "highest affordable" quality lights and the best seed possible.
If you can do basic electronics, you can build lights with all the bells and whistles for a fraction of the cost.
Been DIY'ing LED light systems for close to a decade now.
Pro-Mix is around 35 bucks a bale and does 60 x 1gal pots.
It's not that hard to get a great return on your investment if you work smart.
KISS
I'm interested to see the grow light man...I'm a tinkerer big time...would love to make my own light I have thought about it just haven't taken the dive into it....show me the way!

GoodGear

GoodGear

The rks was gone long before 2005. Sadly the last I saw it was early to mid 80’s. We were growing it in SoCal. Seed came from some bud we bought from Samoans.. found three or four seed in an oz. Back then it was $70 a quarter and thai bud was 60.
Both were stellar
I and lots of other old heads have been on the search since then. Nothing compares.

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

I'm interested to see the grow light man...I'm a tinkerer big time...would love to make my own light I have thought about it just haven't taken the dive into it....show me the way!
Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to take over the thread. I don't get out much. lol
If you want to learn how to build lights. I can recommend videos I learned from.
Maybe you can start a thread for DIY LED's builds. There's a lot more builders from the past that could share their thoughts too.
I started with Vero 29 Gen 7 COB builds. High quality COB. They are "workhorses". I still use them today.
Go over to Frostiest Flower thread, there's pics. lol
Then back to Skunk and it's Trainwrecked past.

GoodGear

GoodGear

Christmas bud smelled and tasted of extreme pine. Had nothing to do with the structure of the plant

MDK

MDK

Christmas bud smelled and tasted of extreme pine. Had nothing to do with the structure of the plant
Actually we are both sort of wrong haha.

I've been looking it up a bit. Apparently it did look like Christmas trees and yes smelled like pine although the whole plant didn't look like an xmas tree more so the cone shaped buds. We called the fall harvest Christmas bud in my area because the quality always improved after that fall harvest.

But '79 Christmas bud is named after its look and smell...

Humboldt csi sells seeds for it...reviews seem to say it lives up to its rep and could indeed be the real deal xmas bud 79....indica with 22% thc....someone should grow it (I'm still not that good indoor or I would)

GoodGear

GoodGear

People can write about cannabis cultivars all they want it doesn’t mean they were there or have any real knowledge of the plant variety in question. So much disinformation on the web. I remember the Christmas bud as a full on pine flavored herb.

Top Bottom