Road Kill Skunk - Ester Alcohols, Train-wreck and the Catpiss Connection

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DrToboggan

I have an old school skunk strain that i am growing for the last ten years that almost has gotten stronger evry year, the smell of you would call it that, my ex wife calls it the stench of stench,has overtones of decaying large male cat carcasses, and overlayed with heavy funk sh
kunk armpits, with some very heavy fuelish type burning nylon sickly sweet and the same time rancidly sour, when cured it has a very heavy and deep odor of piss and something toxic like a mustard gas or something.
Sounds right up my alley! Do you know the lineage? Have any shareable pics? Do you have seeds for trade? I’m at the point where I want to spread the funk as far and wide as possible to push back on all this fruity crap.

strider26554

strider26554

Here are some of the oss girls that i was able to mature outside, these were cloned from indoor mother plants and then hardened off and then eventually either put directly in the ground or kept in large containers until harvested. this is not an ideal or near perfect way of doing things but it keeps the young vulnerable plants indoors, once these girls got pungent the only thing i had a prob with was the worms,,endless worms last year and some pm late in the season. even the deer left them completely alone.

20220922 135803
20220922 141236
20221006 152336
20220922 135726
20220819 192454
20200917 142151
20220808 160753
20220808 160743
20220819 192500
strider26554

strider26554

Sounds right up my alley! Do you know the lineage? Have any shareable pics? Do you have seeds for trade? I’m at the point where I want to spread the funk as far and wide as possible to push back on all this fruity crap.
the lineage comes from a grower /friend of mine who is from northern california, this guy did not move there he was born and raised there, this is a strain that his father grew in the seventies I do know there is a connection to the ak lineage but outside of that all i know is his father was a translator for the UN and he worked overseas in the middle east, he brought these seeds back to northern california in the early sixties. they have been cross bred once before i got them with an afghani hash plant male and then once more by me in the nineties with another afghani male of unknown lineage but i suspect some sativa influence as a result of my meddling, the plants are hardy, repair themselves rapidly after wind and rain, grow quickly and develop huge colas, the smell is ehhhh indescribable,,

strider26554

strider26554

I also do not understand the infatuation with the fruitstrains, i get it,, crispr tech is here to stay but do i really want genes from blueberries inserted into my weed plants. I have people with chronic conditions who wait all season for my oss,,they claim it is unparalleled when it comes to pain relief and all that ails, now of course i am partial to all of the ghani skunk strains but if you have ever gotten a whiff of truly skunk funk roadkill nastiness in all of its glory then you know why we grow this stuff, the first time i smell and saw these plants many decades ago, i knew they were special. My friend who hooked me up with this gift is no longer with us but his legacy lives on and every year i do my best to keep the strain as pure as possible.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

the lineage comes from a grower /friend of mine who is from northern california, this guy did not move there he was born and raised there, this is a strain that his father grew in the seventies I do know there is a connection to the ak lineage but outside of that all i know is his father was a translator for the UN and he worked overseas in the middle east, he brought these seeds back to northern california in the early sixties. they have been cross bred once before i got them with an afghani hash plant male and then once more by me in the nineties with another afghani male of unknown lineage but i suspect some sativa influence as a result of my meddling, the plants are hardy, repair themselves rapidly after wind and rain, grow quickly and develop huge colas, the smell is ehhhh indescribable,,
Sounds epic my friend I had a really stinky strain many years ago that sounds similar it had some sativa in the lineage and the smell of a fresh flower up close would literally tickle your brain it was so dam potent and foul it was like an olfactory overload. Your strain sounds similar. You should do another big seed run I would be more than happy to trade or compensate you in any way. Ive been on the hunt for many years I have some really stinky stuff that I would certainly be willing to trade. When it comes to the really skunky shit its all about the vintage cultivars thats where you will always find the good stuff. Most new stuff is all fruity and shitty.

shaganja

shaganja

I also do not understand the infatuation with the fruitstrains, i get it,, crispr tech is here to stay but do i really want genes from blueberries inserted into my weed plants. I have people with chronic conditions who wait all season for my oss,,they claim it is unparalleled when it comes to pain relief and all that ails, now of course i am partial to all of the ghani skunk strains but if you have ever gotten a whiff of truly skunk funk roadkill nastiness in all of its glory then you know why we grow this stuff, the first time i smell and saw these plants many decades ago, i knew they were special. My friend who hooked me up with this gift is no longer with us but his legacy lives on and every year i do my best to keep the strain as pure as possible.
Kevin jodrey said there was research done and fruit strains have addictive personality. And more with women than men. Is why it's hard to stay away from them fruits! It's kinda true tho. Was at a regen conference, and was many joints in the room. When i taste a fruity one, it made me do a double take, and take another smoke! For real it's hard to not do a double toke when it's zkittlez. Lol.

D

DrToboggan

Quick update,

I’m on week 3 or 4 of flipping to flower (guessing), things are coming along very nicely.

All plants are grown in a re used mix of perlite, rice hulls, peat, and worm castings. They are fed with a 45:45:10 mix of fermented soybean meal, crab shell meal, and powdered leonardite. During veg, they get city water pH to 5.1-6.5 with nitric acid. And during flower I switch to phosphoric acid to adjust pH.

Today I took my single female from the seeds I got from I_GROW_SKUNK and attempted to pollinate it using a the selected male from the same batch. The two top buds were pollinated with a paintbrush and the whole plant was covered with a cellophane bag to allow the pollen to set, and to minimize chances of accidental cross pollination.

The plant itself looks great for growing in a solo cup, and suffering all the abuse I’ve given it. While pollinating I gave the plant a smell by itself, while the odors are still developing, it smelled very interesting. Also the stem rub on this girl is getting quite pungent, and actually skunky. I have two clones of this girl, and after this seed run, I’ll really grow them out. I’m probably going to get a deep red led light to supplement the spectrum in my tent.

I have a whole bunch of other plants that need pollination. Including the Thousand Oaks F5 females, the Maruf landrace females, the 70s afghani female, and the kys skunk F2 females. I need to figure out what to do. My heart says keep the lineages pure this run, but the loon in me says use that stinky TO f5 male on the Kys f2 and Maruf. Any thoughts?
5DBF949C 7196 4E34 BB6B EC28BF886A75

D

DrToboggan

Some more pollination news:

Today I decided to pollinate one of the Thousand Oaks f5 female phenos with the TO f5 male to make some f6 seeds. Since the Maruf are female, I decided to pollinate one with the TO male as well. I also used this time to remove most of the fan leaves.

A while back I mentioned one of my females from old school chronics Kentucky red hair skunk f2 was and auto, and not really interesting. Well I let it go, and gave it a whiff today. There is a definite rubber skunk smell to it. Although it’s pretty far along in flower, I decided to try and pollinate it as well with the TO f5 male.

More crosses to come soon!

3E419173 AD61 4F13 832A EF23F85A0BC5

Maruf
0D74FA26 58D9 4D32 B230 127DE3D12C01

TO f5 female pheno

6F5B5D15 08B3 4D2C 84D1 7D61C3C26850

Oldschoolchronic Kentucky red hair skunk F2 auto pheno.

D

DrToboggan

another update:

I was a little off on my flowering timeline, I looked back at my photos and I flipped on the 10th of feb, so I am a little bit more than 3 weeks into flowering. No biggy, but I really should do a better job keeping notes.

Some fun flowering updates! Overall things are getting stinky, to the point where my carbon filter is getting overwhelmed. I notice the smell most in the morning, but I get whiffs of it during the day. The smell overall isn’t pure skunk, or even “weed” just a peculiar pleasant aroma. Here are some photos:
5A6EDF9B 27CA 42DF B2F9 1228B9B3C4A2

Tray of “skunk hunt” ladys.
F6064D68 3A2C 48E0 A82D F0988521933E

Pheno 1 of Thousand Oaks F5
3539F11A 3DE5 4BCF 8FC4 006835E489DA

Pheno 2 of Thousand Oaks F5

B68C45D3 1C31 4308 B6D0 3387A570FAB1

GH cheese lady.

Of the Thousand Oaks ladys, pheno 1 is more vigorous, but I like pheno 2 better. It’s more acrid at this point. Still kind of early to be drawing conclusions. I’m not and experienced grower by any means, but so far I have noticed most flowers have a similar generic sort of smell early on in flowering. It seems the more unique smells come later on.

One final note for another project. The two clones of the one female I got from I_GROW_SKUNK are happy and healthy. Today I pinched the stem and had a very strong acrid sulfur-ish smell on my fingers. When I stood up I swear I could smell skunk for a few seconds. I plan on attempting to induce polyploidy in one of these clones. Polyploid cannabis doesn’t have statistically more THC, but it does usually have quite a bit more terpenes per mass than the natural diploid varieties. Hopefully poliploidization will amplify the stink! Anyway, that’s going to be a separate thread when it’s time, but it fits into my goal of finding that stinky stuff.

7724145B 411C 4110 A47C BEB3F0652045

A proud skunky mom and here two stinky daughters (clones is guess).

Fun stuff!

D

DrToboggan

I’m jealous of you guys growing I_Grow_Skunks beans , I’ve started 3 in paper towel and ziplock (on electronics for warmth) , 2 more in a shot glass for 24 hrs then zip lock( on electronics for warmth) . Still nothing . I’m 0-5 on the skunks 😩. The other 8 seeds I had from another vendor all popped . So I have a few underway .
Hey Leeboy,

For my seeds I soaked 5 of them for 12 hrs. Then I took nail clippers and nicked the edge of each so I could see the white embryo (without damaging it). Then I moved them to a damp paper towel until the rootlet sprouted. Of the 5, three sprouted and two were male.

When I sprout the next round I may clean them in peroxide first, then soak them in gibberellic acid to wake em up.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Yo,
Skunk dude don’t want to get with the program, so skunk dudes not allowed to post/advertise here. If he persists he will be banned for good!
Now you don’t want that do ya?

Leeboy

Leeboy

Hey Leeboy,

For my seeds I soaked 5 of them for 12 hrs. Then I took nail clippers and nicked the edge of each so I could see the white embryo (without damaging it). Then I moved them to a damp paper towel until the rootlet sprouted. Of the 5, three sprouted and two were male.

When I sprout the next round I may clean them in peroxide first, then soak them in gibberellic acid to wake em up.
Any advice for my 5 ? After I didn’t get any sprouts , I just threw them in dirt and there sitting moist with a humidity dome on them still. 2 are still in paper towel just sitting moist. Is it worth trying one of these tactics now ? Or they too long soaking In water ?

D

DrToboggan

Any advice for my 5 ? After I didn’t get any sprouts , I just threw them in dirt and there sitting moist with a humidity dome on them still. 2 are still in paper towel just sitting moist. Is it worth trying one of these tactics now ? Or they too long soaking In water ?
I’m a noob, so probably not the best person to give seed sprouting advice. Although, on my duds, I did notice when I clipped the shell they were squishy inside. I believe this means som sort of bacterial/fungal infection on the dud embryo. If I were you, I would score each seed to evaluate the condition of the embryo. Good luck!!

MDK

MDK

I know what you are talking about that ammonia piss carcass

My first good run is pretty much spot on to your story, my buddy gave me some seeds said the bag said purple kush on it...after harvest it was loud...but the carcass ammonia smell I almost have narrowed down to the curing process.

I didn't know how to cure just so happened it was rainy and I had to pick my buds to prevent bud rot, actually had 1 bud that started to have issues so picked them...the leaves had yellowed and were falling off I was starting to freak out not knowing that was part of good ripening just kinda hoping it was. Well I was drying them on a screen with a fan pointed indirectly...at the hint of some crisp on the outside I threw it into gallon bags and began to burp it. THIS IS WHEN I FUNKED UP the weed. Went out drinking. Slept in the next morning woke up like SHIT! I had been burping every 4 to 6 hours. This time I had went easily 12 maybe 16 hours. I opened the bag moisture just came billowing out toward me and almost this musty moldy smell I thought damn I screwed up. I squeezed the bag in and out just refreshing the air...it just kept getting funkier and funkier...

Eventually the rot moist smell turned to the ammonia carcass smell. Something about pushing the buds a little longer in the burp stage and just letting them sit in their own funk and ferment a bit just really takes it up a level...I think that's the part where this happens...

Last edited:
shaganja

shaganja

My first good run is pretty much spot on to your story, my buddy gave me some seeds said the bag said purple kush on it...after harvest it was loud...but the carcass ammonia smell I almost have narrowed down to the curing process.

I didn't know how to cure just so happened it was rainy and I had to pick my buds to prevent bud rot, actually had 1 bud that started to have issues so picked them...the leaves had yellowed and were falling off I was starting to freak out not knowing that was part of good ripening just kinda hoping it was. Well I was drying them on a screen with a fan pointed indirectly...at the hint of some crisp on the outside I threw it into gallon bags and began to burp it. THIS IS WHEN I FUNKED UP the weed. Went out drinking. Slept in the next morning woke up like SHIT! I had been burping every 4 to 6 hours. This time I had went easily 12 maybe 16 hours. I opened the bag moisture just came billowing out toward me and almost this musty moldy smell I thought damn I screwed up. I squeezed the bag in and out just refreshing the air...it just kept getting funkier and funkier...

Eventually the rot moist smell turned to the ammonia carcass smell. Something about pushing the buds a little longer in the burp stage and just letting them sit in their own funk and ferment a bit just really takes it up a level...I think that's the part where this happens...
Grove bags for the win

D

DrToboggan

Summer run. The balkh afgani from kalifa, and columbian gold from ace. Round one of yooper skunk happening!!
I’ve had my eye on the balkh afghani for a while! I’m very interested to see how it goes for you, please keep us updated if you can.
I’ve never grown a Sativa before, but the south and Central American sativas seem very interesting. Especially if you believe old school skunk came from those mixed genetics back in the day.

D

DrToboggan

Very interesting you mention this story. I don’t know for certain, but I suspect a wetter controlled microbial fermentation may bring out the funk from cannabis. Why? A lot of the funky molecules are locked up as prenylated glutathione, or acyl COAs, and need enzymatic degradation to be released.

I’ve grown and cured tobacco in the past, and hot wet fermentation is the key to turning brown crunchy tobacco from bland leaves into delicious spicy cigar leaf. It’s also a nasty process that gives off tons of ammonia as the albumins breakdown.

I don’t know what the parameters will need to be for cannabis, it’s a fine line between microbial fermentation and composting. I may be wrong, but I will test it out on my next harvest. Thank you for sharing!

Top Bottom