Rockwool to Hydro DWC - time to move?

• Thread starter ispy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I got the Calmag already. Trio should be here tomorrow. Should I add Calmag now or wait and do it all at once?
Id wait. If its setting out and light is hitting it algie will grow using your nutrients. Might as well wait until its in a sealed pot.

Question, what water was 125ppm yo u said? If your using distilled water isnt your ppms 0? So the ratios of nutrients I suggested were based upon 125ppm tap water. I said ppm it with calmag to 200ppm, mainly for mag. But it your using distilled it should be closer to 0. In that case you want to calmag to 100ppm. Then nutrients to around 300ppm.

I

ispy

Id wait. If its setting out and light is hitting it algie will grow using your nutrients. Might as well wait until its in a sealed pot.

Question, what water was 125ppm yo u said? If your using distilled water isnt your ppms 0? So the ratios of nutrients I suggested were based upon 125ppm tap water. I said ppm it with calmag to 200ppm, mainly for mag. But it your using distilled it should be closer to 0. In that case you want to calmag to 100ppm. Then nutrients to around 300ppm.
It is distilled. I do think I had added some of the nutrients some time ago - water has been running for a few weeks. Checked again and it is ~150. PH ~6.2 or so

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Ok so you must of added somethibg. If ur buying the gallon jugs at the store they should be 0ppm.

So i would start from scratch with new distilled. Believe it or not but the nutrients last along time. . unless you put to much in. So walmart has them, and they have the ro machines that you can refill one gallon jugs with. I just used that until my ro kit got here. But then i needed a storage tote. And now. I have a 55gallon seperate water storage tank. Filter kit under sink and i make my own 0 ppm water. I keep 55 gallon of 0 ppm water on deck at all times lol. . .without hauling it.

Anyways since you dont know whats in that batch, start with fresh water and calmag to 100ppm. Remember its easier to put in too much. .but they so tiny they dont need a lot. Then when your trio gets here. Add them micro first. . at .5ml per gal. . then grow at .5ml per gal, then bloom it .5ml per gal. Your ppm should have went from 100 to about 200. You can do that again with the trio to bring it up to 300. . i generally do 200-300ppm for weeks 1 and 2. Then double it all . . and so on. .slowly increasing your ppms to around 700ppms max during flower. .

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Heres some of my other equipment. Saw bits was 20. .netpots cheap. . ro kit 50 bucks. .auto drain for ro 10 bucks. . the pumps are ecoplus. . they come with the venturi fitting. . get you two big totes with flat lids. .none of that ribbed shit. . . netpots sit flush this way. .but yea. .1000w hps in a 4x4 lol. . not many can do it. . but you can always dial it down. My total watts for my next grow is gonna hopefully be 1250 lol. . mixing hid and led.

Screenshot 20220623 1412222
Screenshot 20220623 1409412
Screenshot 20220623 1409462
Screenshot 20220623 1409512
I

ispy

Distilled and Ro are practically the same meaning ppms less than 10. So heck yea use it if ya got it. I use 10ppm water, calmag to 100ppm, then nutrients to about 300-400, for flower I add my booster to about 650 ppm.. . .plus the hydroguard
Morning,
Plant is doing OK. Seemingly growing tall and not opening up. Have not had a chance to swap water - too busy this weekend. Going to start working on that today. I have been thinking more about what I want and I do think two pots is enough for me with a reservoir. My space should accommodate that appropriately. I think I had a misconception on RO previously - admit I did not read much about the use. So is it just for pulling water from home supply to ensure low PPMs in your tanks? I kind of thought it was for recycling water in somewhat of a "closed system". Trying to think how I'd use one here. I guess setup in my grow area and run hose from sink to it when I need to replace water?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Morning,
Plant is doing OK. Seemingly growing tall and not opening up. Have not had a chance to swap water - too busy this weekend. Going to start working on that today. I have been thinking more about what I want and I do think two pots is enough for me with a reservoir. My space should accommodate that appropriately. I think I had a misconception on RO previously - admit I did not read much about the use. So is it just for pulling water from home supply to ensure low PPMs in your tanks? I kind of thought it was for recycling water in somewhat of a "closed system". Trying to think how I'd use one here. I guess setup in my grow area and run hose from sink to it when I need to replace water?

View attachment 1257093
Plant looks good. .try to post another once it opens later today.

As for ro water you add an ro splitter to a sink cold water line. Then you add ro drain port under that same sinks drain line. Both fittings, cold water and drain should be youtubed for installation before you buy anything. Anyways the ro kit uses your cold water to push your cold water through a filter. What makes it through is 0 ppm water. . nothing in it. Now you have waste water that is double the ppm. . your same cold water input also cleans the ro filter. So these filters last along time. But. . you waste half the water you use. It also trickles out. .like my kit is a max 75gallon per day. So now coming from the ro kit is a ro pure water line. I just ran it into my grow room. Its a valve that always has pressure. . like a outside hose. . .but its 0 ppm. So i then have a 55 gallon empty plastic drum tote. I manually fill the tote but there are float valves. So basically it takes me 18hrs to refill my tote. So i refill my hydro systems with my main tote. . then I top it off over a days time.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

You also need that auto shutoff or else you will always be running water down the drain.

For sure youtube it. My tote was free the shut off was like 10 bucks and the ro kit was 50. Ive used it over a year. . put prolly 1000 gallons through it. .and my ppm last night was 14 lol. . I might need to change my filters. . getting pretty high.

Screenshot 20220627 114647
Screenshot 20220623 1409512
Screenshot 20220623 1409462
I

ispy

Morning,

View attachment 1257093
Thanks,
Untrained eye here but the stem is the best looking one I have seen yet on mine.

I

ispy

Plant looks good. .try to post another once it opens later today.

As for ro water you add an ro splitter to a sink cold water line. Then you add ro drain port under that same sinks drain line. Both fittings, cold water and drain should be youtubed for installation before you buy anything. Anyways the ro kit uses your cold water to push your cold water through a filter. What makes it through is 0 ppm water. . nothing in it. Now you have waste water that is double the ppm. . your same cold water input also cleans the ro filter. So these filters last along time. But. . you waste half the water you use. It also trickles out. .like my kit is a max 75gallon per day. So now coming from the ro kit is a ro pure water line. I just ran it into my grow room. Its a valve that always has pressure. . like a outside hose. . .but its 0 ppm. So i then have a 55 gallon empty plastic drum tote. I manually fill the tote but there are float valves. So basically it takes me 18hrs to refill my tote. So i refill my hydro systems with my main tote. . then I top it off over a days time.

It opened up overnight. Been a terrible work week. Plan to change out water today.

Currently -
PH ~6.2
PPM ~183
PPFP - 175
temp - ~78

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Id drop your ph down to around 5.6

Also dont shock them when you change water. Bring them ppms up to around 300 also. Id also slowly be turning your light up. . like 1 or 2% every day. . . push that growth.

I

ispy

Id drop your ph down to around 5.6

Also dont shock them when you change water. Bring them ppms up to around 300 also. Id also slowly be turning your light up. . like 1 or 2% every day. . . push that growth.
Thanks. on bringing PPM up - in current water or when I change? Also on the light - it is 42" off plant. One thing I was not sure of is should I just crank intensity or lower it as well. It is adjustable on intensity and I have it on adjustable hangers for height.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

So just add nutrients to it and mix it. You wont need alot. Basically you can mix up some 600ppm solution in a seperate pot, pull out around 30% and add 30% of the higher ppm. .This will raise your ppms without you adding nutrients strait to the pot and risk putting in too much. I doubt its drank much of the water, but im sure its used some nutrients. I wouldnt do full res changes either, just do like 50% or so for now if your ppms drop too much.

I

ispy

Changed 1/2 of water. added nutes as instructed.
PPM 296, PH 5.5, lowered light another 4".

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Now as long as your ph slowly rises and you see no leaf damage. . all is going as planned. Looks good man

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

So you can also get an IR gun to measure leaf temp. Mine was 20 bucks. . its not super accurate. .but close enough. Anyways. . 77f leaf temp is what you want. . and i also feel they still need more light. Im not familiar with ppfd as I am lux. Can u dl the lux app on your phone and tell me what lux they are getting. .id say at least 10k should be minimum

I

ispy

So you can also get an IR gun to measure leaf temp. Mine was 20 bucks. . its not super accurate. .but close enough. Anyways. . 77f leaf temp is what you want. . and i also feel they still need more light. Im not familiar with ppfd as I am lux. Can u dl the lux app on your phone and tell me what lux they are getting. .id say at least 10k should be minimum
sure. i actually have one and man that was spot on - 77.4f. lux is about 17.2k, ppfd ~300 now. i use photone and it lists both values and a couple of others. it's a sharp app someone else recommended to me.

so on the PH, just natural increase is expected right?

and thanks for all your help!

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

sure. i actually have one and man that was spot on - 77.4f. lux is about 17.2k, ppfd ~300 now. i use photone and it lists both values and a couple of others. it's a sharp app someone else recommended to me.

so on the PH, just natural increase is expected right?

and thanks for all your help!
Yep it will increase naturally. The lower your holding capacity the faster it raises. Mine goes from 5.5 to 6.0 over 4 days time. When I was in DWC it would do that in 12hrs. I have 30 gallons for one plant atm so yea. . pretty mild swings. As for your PPM, you want to slowly watch it drop. So when you come back and take your ppm check in 12hrs, your ppm should have dropped from 296 to like 280, and so on. This means your plant is eating. Now if you come back in 12hrs and your ppms have climbed, say to 320ppms, then your overfeeding and it wants more water. Dont overfeed, it slows the growth rates down and just hurts all over.
So the issue comes with heat. I have always put in a exhaust fan that is too large, one that I could never run on full power. Now to remove heat I just turn it up. So when I turned up my lights, the heat in tent raised, and then i just exhausted it, or you can sealed room ac/duhue it, either way dont use your light to manage heat. You must always increase your lights, if your tent gets to hott, you have to put another fan in it. . dont turn your light down to manage heat, your growth will just slow down for no reason.

I

ispy

Yep it will increase naturally. The lower your holding capacity the faster it raises. Mine goes from 5.5 to 6.0 over 4 days time. When I was in DWC it would do that in 12hrs. I have 30 gallons for one plant atm so yea. . pretty mild swings. As for your PPM, you want to slowly watch it drop. So when you come back and take your ppm check in 12hrs, your ppm should have dropped from 296 to like 280, and so on. This means your plant is eating. Now if you come back in 12hrs and your ppms have climbed, say to 320ppms, then your overfeeding and it wants more water. Dont overfeed, it slows the growth rates down and just hurts all over.
So the issue comes with heat. I have always put in a exhaust fan that is too large, one that I could never run on full power. Now to remove heat I just turn it up. So when I turned up my lights, the heat in tent raised, and then i just exhausted it, or you can sealed room ac/duhue it, either way dont use your light to manage heat. You must always increase your lights, if your tent gets to hott, you have to put another fan in it. . dont turn your light down to manage heat, your growth will just slow down for no reason.
thanks. i will check it in the morning. i assume with PPM increase you get more activity on PH? i ask because the entire time that water was in use PH never really changed. granted no real nutrients added - hence why i ask.

as for grow tent, i am in my office closet and heat is a concern to me with this light - it def bumped the temp up 3-4 degrees when i first started using it. i just ordered a low cost chiller fan that has great claims and reviews. my real intent for it is my daughter who is a big gamer/streamer and when she gets going she raises the temp in her room like 9 degrees! she talks a lot lol. if it works, i will get another or find something else to do the job. as of now closet door is left open but walking down the hall you'd think the Sun is setting in my office.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

thanks. i will check it in the morning. i assume with PPM increase you get more activity on PH? i ask because the entire time that water was in use PH never really changed. granted no real nutrients added - hence why i ask.

as for grow tent, i am in my office closet and heat is a concern to me with this light - it def bumped the temp up 3-4 degrees when i first started using it. i just ordered a low cost chiller fan that has great claims and reviews. my real intent for it is my daughter who is a big gamer/streamer and when she gets going she raises the temp in her room like 9 degrees! she talks a lot lol. if it works, i will get another or find something else to do the job. as of now closet door is left open but walking down the hall you'd think the Sun is setting in my office.
Yea im not that scientific with it, but yea im sure your correct. If shes eating, the ph is climbing. Now ive ran into issues where ive added too much micro (N) and it will instantly drop your ph, like make it crash hard. I have aquarium strips that I use to test the PPM levels of individual nutrients like Nitrate. I know that if your Nitrate levels exceed 200ppms, your ph will crash. Something about making the roots release negative ions or idk. . .but yea you will also see your ppms increase so you know your overfeeding. But yes yes, ph rising while ppms falling is what we want.

I

ispy

PPM jumped to 339. I assume replace some water? I have Distilled I can use.

Top Bottom