So it dawned on me this morning something I had forgotten to mention back when I replaced 1/2 the water on 7/1 that I should have. When I got this unit I did as the instructions said - wash hydro off good. But when I did the 1/2 water replacement, I noticed a LOT of "sediment" in the bottom that was clearly hydro chips. It was like some had just fallen apart or something. At the time it was very clean looking and in my haste did not do anything about it. I suspect that is what this was - granted the sliminess of it is surely an issue I suspect. As far as order of feeding, I got that completely wrong. I did use measured "doses" but the way I did it was to add it all into a small amount of water and then add that water into the reservoir portions at a time to ensure I did not overdose the water. So I guess from the plant perspective, it got all of it at once. I will make note of that now for future feedings.