Root Aphid Annhiliation (pics)

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

that's exactly what led me to em @Wee Zard . haha, that is a great quote. i caught it early i think so I'm sure this biowar is eating the shit out of em

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

@stickyfing3rs do they move pretty quick or are they slow and steady? Soil mites are fast and look like they're going somewhere...root aphids just sorta wonder around slowly and look like a bunch of lost idiots.

Can't really tell what it is in your pic, what look like antenna could also be extended legs of a soil mite so its hard to say.

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

@We Solidarity they move fairly quick, i had to stick that guy to a piece if scotch tape to get a picture. this is in a water culture setup though. not transplanted from soil either. between the fast movement and the fact that they are so tiny makes me think they aren't aphids. this one in the pic was kinda reddish brown, where the other ones i saw were almost clear or white

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

the picture is hard to tell, just taken with my cell and a scope. but after looking up soil mites the closest picture i can find looks like Hypoaspis miles. but not common in dwc I'm sure. so nerve racking

persiankid

persiankid

@We Solidarity Thank you for this great thread! I was curious how strong you were applying the OG Biowar tea?
Are you watering with straight tea?
Or are you diluting it at 1 cup tea to 5 Gallons of water?
Also, I am curious how you prefer applying your tea drench...
Do you do it by hand? or with a pump and a wand?
Sorry for all of the questions just want to make sure that we are doing things as effectively as possible! @Capulator what is your preferred application method for doing both Drenches and Foilars with OG Biowar tea? Is it still as effective if applied through an airless paint sprayer? Thanks again guys!

Sluice Box

Sluice Box

Yeah brother the foliar pack has several strains of fungi that all wreak havoc on the RA. From the pics... looks like Beavaria. Basically when a spore comes in contact with the exoskeleton of the RA, it germinates and uses the RA as a host. infecting it and growing all over it... sucking the life from it. Then, when other RA come in contact they also get infected. Hence the name "THE ORIGINAL BIOLOGICAL WARFARE". This is natures way of taking care of business, and by the looks of the above pics... it works like a charm.
First Post, Hello all. Cap how many tsp can I expect to get from a lb root pack? Is it roughly the same for the lb foliar pack? Planned on ordering a lb of ea to dunk full strength total of 19 #5 pots and roughly 22 #1 gal pots. Is this going to be enough to get 2 treatments to get me started?

Sluice Box

Sluice Box

Sorry never mind Cap, I'll just bite the bullet and order a key of each, gonna break me but so will not using it the right way. So I have to keep room at 60+RH?

CannaBidz

CannaBidz

Awesome write up... Great pics, Thanks for the info I'm sure lots of people will find this helpful...have to order some BioWar right now to have on hand just in case...

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
@Sluice Box a kilo makes about 70 gallons of full concentrate solution. This in turn will make 700 gallons of tea.

If you have an existing infestation, you gotta go full concentrate. It's expensive, but i will save your garden and you will harvest at near 100% if you catch it in time. In that sense it always was worth it to me to hi it hard and heavy. I have done my own side my sides with flowering plants treated vs untreated and the difference was a 2# plant vs. a 1/4# one. In early veg I will use merit75 if I have to. I have used the foliar pack and merit at the same time and seen root aphids fuzz up quite nicely even with merit in the substrate. I'm no scientist but by observation the merit did not seem to have a significant effect on the beneficial fungi in the foliar pack.

After you get control you can just use the tea as a preventative. I have gotten rid of RA 5 times in 5 different spots with these 2 products. Just step your game up and be extra clean and keep the pressure on.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
@Capulator , with the merit75 how many ml per gallon did you use?

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I have never had root aphids but I use merit 75 at the same rate as cap for preventive on mothers, clones and any new plants I bring in. I personally can't comment on there affect on ra infestation but I have never noticed any negative affects on plants at 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

It's 1/2tsp per 5 gallons. It's important to read them labels before you apply any product to your plants. As my father used to tell me: "When all else fails, read instructions"
I read the label multiple times and still wasn't 100% confident I was using proper dosage. So many options for application rates I usually try to figure out which option is the most applicable and then search thc farmer to see what rates other people are coming up with.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I read the label multiple times and still wasn't 100% confident I was using proper dosage. So many options for application rates I usually try to figure out which option is the most applicable and then search thc farmer to see what rates other people are coming up with.

I can tell you with 100% confidence that it is 1/2 TSP (TEASPOON) per 5 gallons. A little goes a long way. Be sure to wear a dust mask.

mancdank

mancdank

I can tell you with 100% confidence that it is 1/2 TSP (TEASPOON) per 5 gallons. A little goes a long way. Be sure to wear a dust mask.
Is this stuff suitable for young seedlings and if it is do I mix at the same rate also is it available to buy in the UK ? :)

CaliShark

CaliShark

Awesome thread...which type/brand of microscope did you use to take those pictures? They are awesome! @We Solidarity

GET MO

GET MO

Supporter
great thread, quick question:
I just poured full strength ogbiowar tea, brewed 24 hours, in each of my pots infested with root aphids. Now how long should I wait before I water again?
I also put a half gallon in my 40 gallon rez (roughly 50 ml/ gallon) but am using salt based ferts, with this have ill effect? and should I keep my rez bubbling?

DoobieDuck

DoobieDuck

Premium Member
Supporter
@We Solidarity great info, not to hijack your thread but thought this might help some on-lookers. This came into focus in my macro lens a bit ago and I have been told it is a root aphid. For those who want a closer look at the fuckers dancing on my resins...
5946 bug aphid W

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That is an amazing photo!

I don't believe it's a root aphid, though. I think it's a green aphid, based on the fact that it's clearly punctured the leaf cuticle and is sucking out the juices. It's also rather green colored. Root aphids are usually only observed on the roots.

Top Bottom