Root aphid virus

• Thread starter cctt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
thehappygardener

thehappygardener

I've read several references to a virus carried by root aphids, but never seen sources cited. I'm currently trying to diagnose a set of plants that exhibit the phantom-deficiencies that make me think of previous root aphid experience, but I can find no signs of actual root aphids.

Does anyone know more?

When you say no signs of root aphids, have you looked at the root balls specifically. They can bury really deep. I have been working with folks in the Denver area and all over the country on this issue with the Met52 as a solution. Have you ever tried this? Met 52 a naturally occuring fungus in the earth that is impregnated into a grain of rice that you mix in and its organic and non systemic. The Happy Gardener

thehappygardener

thehappygardener

I have been working with growers from the Denver area, my home town and also new friends from all over the USA on treating the root aphid problem. Best results with the Met 52 granular and now there is an EC folier spray. We have been getting great results. Let me know if you are familiar with this.
Thanks

C

cctt

I look carefully at the roots and don't see the browning nor white fuzz associated with RAs. My imidacloprid test didn't show a response. When I flood water no aphids come out.
I've used met52 granular in the past, and it's helped (back when I certainly did have a RA problem). I could start premixing it again preventatively; I suppose as there's not much reason not to.
I've been using Cap's foliar spores religiously every week on all my roots. As I understand, these already contain a strain of Metarhizium anisopliae, though it's not #52.

thehappygardener

thehappygardener

The aphids are know to burrow in the roots stems themselves so you may not see them when you flush. Let me try to reach a friend who is knows quite a bit about this. Just talked to him and he would like to talk to you. You can reach him at one spark on THC. Be in touch if you need the Met52 I do have it available. Let me know thanks

C

cctt

So you're suggesting the only way to determine whether they're present is to sacrifice a plant and tear apart its root ball? That's too bad, but if it must be done ...

Please let your friend know he is welcome to PM me or join this thread if he wants any more information or has any suggestions.

I already have a remaining supply of Met52 but thank you for the offer.

bobby

bobby

I would say if you have to make money please don't do it at the expense of people's health.

Probably time to do something else if you can not grow without pesticides...Unless I guess your growing for "CUSTOMERS" who already smoke meth.

pesticides only compromise peoples' immune systems!

Most of the people your growing for if they are true patients have compromised immune systems already and these meds will make them worse. Making money at the expense of others health, fuck it, right....!!! gotta do what ya gotta do...On the real...I can get meth at a really cheap rate and the market is WIDE OPEN!!! Let's get crackin....Gotta make that paper.

Treebark- I am really glad you had those plants tested for pesticides...

Could you be more dramatic please? What is your true contribution to society, growing marijuana organically? hahahaha. You're such a saint.

RobotChicken

RobotChicken

Could you be more dramatic please? What is your true contribution to society, growing marijuana organically? hahahaha. You're such a saint.

are you kidding...your talking about growing with pesticides for your patients...I think your drama is enough for us all..

If growing organically was my greatest Contribution to society I would already be better off then you poisoning your patients....But since you do not know what I do...you have no idea....No idea...

and Just cause you have figured out you can make a buck off the sick does not make it right... Shit even if your Customers weren't sick...you might make them that way... But whateva, you gotta make a buck who cares who it hurts. No matter what, that is what your saying...

The thing is...its supposed to be medicine and how are you supposed to know what sick people need when you don't even know what your doing in the grow room?

I will say watch how you respond to me from now on, you about have me pissed off with your ignorance to what the fuck your doing to your own people and spreading your fucked nonsense to the members on this site!

bobby

bobby

are you kidding...your talking about growing with pesticides for your patients...I think your drama is enough for us all..

If growing organically was my greatest Contribution to society I would already be better off then you poisoning your patients....But since you do not know what I do...you have no idea....No idea...

and Just cause you have figured out you can make a buck off the sick does not make it right... Shit even if your Customers weren't sick...you might make them that way... But whateva, you gotta make a buck who cares who it hurts. No matter what that is what your saying...

The thing is...its supposed to be medicine and how are you supposed to know what sick people need when you don't even know what your doing in the grow room?

I will say watch how you respond to me from now on, you about have me pissed off with your ignorance to what the fuck your doing to your own people and spreading your fucked nonsense to the members on this site!

I think people gotta prioritize their lives and be realistic and practical. Who in their right mind wouldn't want to make money and help people? Exactly, everyone would. The point of using IPM is to build a business so you can do exactly that.

The majority of the people who grow marijuana do so to make money, not to help patients. If you're in a position where you have to grow marijuana for a living, you first need to stabilize your life financially, then go on to helping others, in all types of ways. But if you can barely feed yourself, you should worry about successful harvests first. Go out there, make a bunch of money with this wonderful plant, then create some real social change.

The recommendations you make about helping patients is like "duh" of course pesticides are shitty man. Who the fuck would disagree with that? I had to spend 40k to learn how difficult organics truly is, but most people cannot afford that. So I recommend against it for those who need to feed their families.

Do you really grow for no profits? If so, much respect to you, you really are a saint.

C

cctt

Well, this wasn't where I intended this thread to go, but here we are.
I find this argument tries to make us choose from false dichotomies: A grower either operates altruistically help the sick, or is a businessman interested only in profits... Feeds plants 100% organically or uses chemical pesticides unnecessarily, unsafely and with regard only to the bottom line.
The fact is we can help people while meeting a market demand, making profit for our efforts, and providing a safe product. And our methods of feeding and pest control can be balanced to meet these needs.
As I said, I don't support the idea of using pesticides unnecessarily, as this breeds resistant pests. If there are pests present to be dealt with, I'm ok with using chemicals to control the problem so long as the measure is well within a safe pre-harvest interval and is intended to be temporary. This way I'm always as reliant on the preventative organic pest-control solutions (go Cap!) as my environment will allow, and should these methods evolve to be able to handle all my issues, I'll find myself using nothing else. Sometimes this has meant taking a loss on a harvest which has problems that can not be safely fixed in time, but each time the process improves.

RobotChicken

RobotChicken

I think people gotta prioritize their lives and be realistic and practical. Who in their right mind wouldn't want to make money and help people? Exactly, everyone would. The point of using IPM is to build a business so you can do exactly that.

The majority of the people who grow marijuana do so to make money, not to help patients. If you're in a position where you have to grow marijuana for a living, you first need to stabilize your life financially, then go on to helping others, in all types of ways. But if you can barely feed yourself, you should worry about successful harvests first. Go out there, make a bunch of money with this wonderful plant, then create some real social change.

The recommendations you make about helping patients is like "duh" of course pesticides are shitty man. Who the fuck would disagree with that? I had to spend 40k to learn how difficult organics truly is, but most people cannot afford that. So I recommend against it for those who need to feed their families.

Do you really grow for no profits? If so, much respect to you, you really are a saint.

all your posts are like DUH! Nothing you have said makes a difference to what I am talking about and shows the ignorance free flowing out of your mouth..

And your really have no clue as what your talking about. Especially after spending 40k to be an idiot. Your still an idiot...The fact that you spent 40k to learn is the greatest example of your inability and tells me exactly what your are. I have been growing for over 20 years.

I have watched an ocean of people get in over their head in grows...especially in the last four years...it does not make them an expert.

Next time you spout your bullshit about how everyone should use pesticides to grow for patients, I will delete that shit faster then you can post it. This is not RollitUp or some other rag site that lets people spout bullshit.

Go buy a clue with the cash you have left. Maybe you'll do your patients a favor and stop growing poison.

bobby

bobby

all your posts are like DUH! Nothing you have said makes a difference to what I am talking about and shows the ignorance free flowing out of your mouth..

And your really have no clue as what your talking about. Especially after spending 40k to be an idiot. Your still an idiot...The fact that you spent 40k to learn is the greatest example of your inability and tells me exactly what your are. I have been growing for over 20 years.

I have watched an ocean of people get in over their head in grows...especially in the last four years...it does not make them an expert.

Next time you spout your bullshit about how everyone should use pesticides to grow for patients and I will delete that shit faster then you can post it. Go buy a clue with the cash you have left. Maybe you'll do your patients a favor and stop growing.

Haha. You are only angry because I am so right.

RobotChicken

RobotChicken

Haha. You are only angry because I am so right.

Poor lil dude...If thats all you got from my post then your more clueless then I had previously thought..

There is no anger in my last post. Smoke a toke, then read it again with less anger and you will see...

Now in my earlier post when I mentioned I was getting pissed, you were beginning to piss me off when I felt you were not talking to me respectfully, but that did not materialize as you spoke in your next post with a little more of a filter.

Then for you to laugh at me and to only focus on anger that was not even there really shows you know that I am right and your the one that is flustered or angry.

All I feel is apathy for your patients not anger. I can not change how fucked up this world is but what I can do is make sure this site is clean as can be from damage caused by amateur hour. Organic production is one of the simplest ways to grow...Lol...rofl...lmao... 40k and still went back to chems and pesticides...that's the funniest thing in this thread. Hell man that might be the funniest thing ever typed in a post on this site.

Hey Bobby I did not even notice that you don't even have a grow log on this site...which is an offense you can and will be banned for...Thanks for drawing attention to that fact...Good bye!

Thread back on topic...sorry for the hijack. I just can not stand by when people are giving complete misinformation that can actually harm or kill patients

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

and Just cause you have figured out you can make a buck off the sick does not make it right... Shit even if your Customers weren't sick...you might make them that way... But whateva, you gotta make a buck who cares who it hurts. No matter what, that is what your saying...

Oh my God, I consider my organic cultivation, which has become religious in practice, to BE my contribution to society. I can't have that taken away. I mean, it's supposed to be food, too, right???

Plus, if you look at the numbers it's an amazingly good growth sector, especially given the economy. Yet another reason.

Farm to fork and bone to bowl, YEAH!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
cctt (hope I got that right), you only need to open up the root ball, and if you're gentle about it the plant should suffer few ill effects. UNLESS, that is, it really is infested with root aphids. If you simply look up the literature and papers you *will* find that root aphids are but one insect/bug vector of disease and pathogens, including viruses.

I usually use Google Scholar at
I do it like this so I don't get only cannabis-specific results: root aphid vector disease
Then I go from there.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I use pesticides.

If used properly they pose no danger to consumers.

You must use due dilligence and understand what you are working with.

Are we talking ZERO pesticides EVER?.. or was somebody spraying in flower?

Flower is a NoNoNoNoNo...

veg is a different ballgame. IMHO

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Thanks for the link. I see they have 181 products available for sale to test plants. Which test kit/s did you find useful for this application? Ever tried sending a sample in for lab analysis?

I apologize I should have covered more. I went with the TMV test kit. Tested all my strains to be safe. I also like to test all new strains I get as part during quarantine time. Then I know they are safe to play with the other boys and girls.

SKU is ISK 2057400 for the kit I got.

Hope that helps. I feel safer knowing I have clean clones. No way to infect others and also best to have clean stock for breeding. Yes, I use labs for testing as much as $$ allows. I wish I had unlimited $$ for R&D and testing...

Hope that helps.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Problem with pesticides is most people use them wrong and shouldny have them. Its easyer to tell everyone dont use them there bad, than it is to try and educate everyone on how, when, how much to use, what equipment to wear, how to clean up, reentry time, ect Its probally 100 times worse for the guy spryaing it than it will ever be for someone smoking it later.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Purple, good point, except there's a problem with what you propose. The instructions are on the labels, people never seem to read them. There's another problem with the kinds of pesticides you're talking about, too, and that's due to the protocols listed on the label. If the user does *not* have the proper training they have no idea what is meant when the protocols are referred to.

Some of these products are indeed much worse for the person applying them. OxiDate is one such example of an organic product that I can think of. It's highly caustic and toxic in its unmixed and fresh condition. Once it has encountered organic molecules, and after I think 4hours post-application, it becomes inert.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Purple, good point, except there's a problem with what you propose. The instructions are on the labels, people never seem to read them. There's another problem with the kinds of pesticides you're talking about, too, and that's due to the protocols listed on the label. If the user does *not* have the proper training they have no idea what is meant when the protocols are referred to.

Some of these products are indeed much worse for the person applying them. OxiDate is one such example of an organic product that I can think of. It's highly caustic and toxic in its unmixed and fresh condition. Once it has encountered organic molecules, and after I think 4hours post-application, it becomes inert.

What kinda special training does applying over the counter pesticides require, that are not listed on the label in English? I dont understand...its like you are saying alot of people are too dumb to read a jug.

I have a jug of OxiDate.......my ph DOWn/ UP are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more caustic....AN up/down will peel youe skin down to the pink meat in seconds.

I have enough sense not to get it on me. Same with the Oxidate. I have used it alot. No burns here.

Maybe I am a bastion of pesticide common sense and intelligence. I dont feel like it though.:confused: I really feel like a tard, mostly.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Lots of people don't even bother to read the labels, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Now, how many threads can *you* find posted by people who aren't using OTC 'cides', but are instead using controlled 'cides'? Because I can find a few.

If your pH adjusters are far more caustic than your OxiDate, then you don't have the stuff that requires a permit to apply. :)

Top Bottom