Root Aphids, Fungus Gnats, and other fun bugs (ID PICS)

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why can't you use vinegar or H2O2 on the girls? Especially diluted.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

I was referring to the mix of the two not being applicable to use not the individual ingredients in said solution.

One or the other would be fine, however if you were to spray one right after the other and they were to activate like the idea of what I have replied to.
This would certainly over oxidize the leafs in reaction the plants stomatitis will close entirely making the leaf turn thus ultimately leading to whole plant suffocation ergo death

Last edited:
We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Wow. Idk what to say...there are 5000 threads on what to do for bugs, this is a thread for id pictures. @Gargamel thanks for diagnosing every picture in this thread and giving advice to use poison in unspecified amounts on something you don't even know is there. That's why I started this thread was so people could get accurate info on what they're dealing with and look into it accordingly, not so they could get half assed reckless advice on systemic poisons that get medical licenses revoked and give concentrate users Alzheimer's.

You are completely wrong about your opinion that organics cant beat bugs- I've beaten every pest in this thread and managed perfect gardens doing nothing but spraying oils, using bio pesticides and nematodes, and applying compost teas. Cleanliness organizational workflow and a spray schedule are the real answers to pest management, especially in enclosed spaces.

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/ass.../documents/PesticideUseCannabisProduction.pdf

http://www.oregonlive.com/marijuana-legalization/pesticides/methodology.html

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/resources/pesticide-induced-diseases-database/overview

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well, *I* know what to say. This isn't the thread for the verbal vomit and bad information I just cleaned up. This isn't the thread for diagnosing deficiencies. If I have to, I'll put in a reply ban because I stickied this thread for its GOOD information, not for the garbage I just cleaned up.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I was referring to the mix of the two not being applicable to use not the individual ingredients in said solution.

One or the other would be fine, however if you were to spray one right after the other and they were to activate like the idea of what I have replied to.
This would certainly over oxidize the leafs in reaction the plants stomatitis will close entirely making the leaf turn thus ultimately leading to whole plant suffocation ergo death

It is for cleaning non porous surfaces after an infestation to kill any left behind larvae or eggs, you never want to mix the two where it will touch living plants or animals. This is only for biohazard cleanup and gloves should be worn, as long as you arent spraying them into the air at the same time you shouldnt need a respirator. I have used it many times and it works.

dreamofgreen

dreamofgreen

would i be repeating information to suggest using neem seed meal in your mix to prevent some of the problems this thread is about? i consider it a must have.
if it was already suggested and discussed i missed it or haven't got to it yet.

mr roboto

mr roboto

Those are springtails, they came to the surface to escape the drench. They're good guys, they break down organic matter (basically competing with fungus gnats for food) and their poop enriches the soil the same way worm castings do.
hey wassup bro, what do you think of these guys? Friend or foe? I was thinking root aphids but after watering only a few will actually walk on the lip of the pot , seems like a big group will move up and then back down to the soil quickly and seem to run to the rapid rooters sticking out of the soil. Also they aren't on the roots . Best pics I can do with the phone camera
Ra cu
Ra

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Fast moving around pot is usually predatory mites and they are helping you, eating fungus gnat larvae and such. Slow moving on soil are usually recyclers or root aphids. Slow moving on plant are bad. There can be exceptions, but if they are scurrying around the pot rim they are most likely searching for other bugs to eat.

mr roboto

mr roboto

Fast moving around pot is usually predatory mites and they are helping you, eating fungus gnat larvae and such. Slow moving on soil are usually recyclers or root aphids. Slow moving on plant are bad. There can be exceptions, but if they are scurrying around the pot rim they are most likely searching for other bugs to eat.
ahh thanks brotha , yeah these guys move kinda quick for being so small.

stonestacker

stonestacker

They might be good but it still gives me the creeps to see them in my rooms lol.:ninja:

firemanelaflare

firemanelaflare

They are a nuisance for sure, but if out of control can cause you to throw away buds due to dead carcasses colonized on the bud. imo- they are pre loaded in just about all coco coir. I have also seen them transfered from coco to rockwool and growool from transplanting.

I keep them in check by spraying Gnatrol on the top layer of my medium, as well as sticky tabs hanging.
How about a soil drench ps how long does gnatrol take to show results I have a gnat or a winged aphid infestation ps is it effective against both pest

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I treat three times with gnatrol over a two or three week period, after that you dont see many. Takes a few weeks, as long as they arent eating your young clones or seedlings they rarely get bad enough to cause problems.

Two inch thick layer of playbox or desert sand fixes em instantly, no more emerge from soil, the ones flying cant lay eggs and search for a sticky trap to die on...

firemanelaflare

firemanelaflare

How about a soil drench ps how long does gnatrol take to show results I have a gnat or a winged aphid infestation ps is it effective against both pest
Yeah I'm doing all that I just did a soil drench with gnatrol. Is gnatrol good for root aphids also I'm 96 percent sure I'm dealing with gnats BUT I can't say I'm 100 percent sure I dumped a lot of money into my new room and I just switched from promix to coco I really don't want to lose. I'm really close to using merit 75 but I'm tryin to avoid taking a loss

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Yeah I'm doing all that I just did a soil drench with gnatrol. Is gnatrol good for root aphids also I'm 96 percent sure I'm dealing with gnats BUT I can't say I'm 100 percent sure I dumped a lot of money into my new room and I just switched from promix to coco I really don't want to lose. I'm really close to using merit 75 but I'm tryin to avoid taking a loss
Gnatrol works well for fungus gnats, not root aphids.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Hello, people. I was hoping I could get some assistance identifying these weirdos I found on a sticky trap today. It's placed right above the soil level on one of my pots.

I was initially concerned (though I haven't ruled it out 100%) that I may have root aphids, despite my plants looking generally healthy. This is due to me plucking what looked like a flying root aphid off of my glasses a few days ago. I was in my kitchen and after finding the bug I scoped it and it looked quite a lot like the photos of RA flyers posted by @We Solidarity at the beginning of this thread (wings longer than its black body). This combined with my observations of a sticky trap today led me to take a core sample of the pot with said trap.

Nothing in the sample when scoped except for a scimitus mite and a springtail.

I've ruled out FGs as none of the bugs have the little pincer things in their butts.

Anyway here's some pics I took (apologies for iPhone quality):
No clue on these two.

This one is tricky because I can't get a good look at its tail due to the way it landed on the trap.

I'm thinking this one maybe a tiny moth of some kind because of how fuzzy it is.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@Savage Henry -- I can't see the tailpipes so I don't use those to tell the difference between RAs and FGs. I use their wings. Let's see if I remember this correctly without going to look it up (I'll double check after I post and correct if I'm wrong).

FG wings lay flat over their bodies, like a fly.
RA wings come together in a tent fashion, like praying hands.

Ok, off to double check!

Ok, I think those are fungus gnats you're showing. The moth-type thing could be whitefly, but that's not something I know anything about.

Top Bottom