Root aphids, phylloxera, root mealy bugs, or bulb mites???

• Thread starter F.Dupp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F.Dupp

F.Dupp

The entomologist told me that these nasty little bugs like wet, humid conditions. I have since put my pumps on cycle timers at 1 minute on, 15 minutes off. This has dropped the number of visible mites by about 75%. My roots are also looking whiter and healthier than they were when running the pumps nonstop. I have also switched to LEDs, which has seemed to benefit my plants in many ways. Cooler temps, and a chance for things to dry out has seemed to work wonders.

Dank.in.Donuts

Dank.in.Donuts

Can Anyone tell me what kind of pest this is they don’t seem to be feeding on the plant.

396363AB 69E8 40E2 A319 5349DD586D9F
F63620A6 E9F7 43B2 B3A0 756BDAB2B66C
Dank.in.Donuts

Dank.in.Donuts

Yeh did a thorough spray with neem and on the soil. I am getting some sand n lady bugs. Shit pisses me off cus nothing was outside or brought in from outside I dont understand how rhey can just appear.

Dank.in.Donuts

Dank.in.Donuts

Im getting some fungus nematodz to help what do yiu thjnk?

Anthem

Anthem

That further suggests they might actually be bulb mites. Bulb mites typically are spread by, and benefit from, fungus gnats, hitching rides on them and capitalizing on the food provided by damage from them.

Sadly I think the only known options for getting rid of them are sanitation between crops or CO2 fumigation.
How does CO2 fumigation work?

Anthem

Anthem

Those look like winged root aphids. Do a thorough check of your roots and see if you can find any crawlers.
If you get some yellow sticky traps you can catch a few of the flyers. From a picture it is very hard to tell the difference between Root Aphids and Fungal Gnats. If you get them on a yellow stick trap you can examine them under a jewelers loop and compare to internet pictures to determine in they are root aphids or fungal gnats.

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

How does CO2 fumigation work?
Basically it involves raising CO2 to 15,000 ppm at 25C for 48 hours. You would need a 100% airtight area and you won't be able to do this with anything you want to survive is in there. This method is called CATT (Controlled Atmosphere Temperature Treatment) and it was 100% effective on tulip gall mites and was more effective than any known treatment on other bulb mites. Longer durations would likely wipe them out entirely. Just be aware this is very dangerous for humans and other living things!

Anthem

Anthem

Basically it involves raising CO2 to 15,000 ppm at 25C for 48 hours. You would need a 100% airtight area and you won't be able to do this with anything you want to survive is in there. This method is called CATT (Controlled Atmosphere Temperature Treatment) and it was 100% effective on tulip gall mites and was more effective than any known treatment on other bulb mites. Longer durations would likely wipe them out entirely. Just be aware this is very dangerous for humans and other living things!
I know they make mention of plants but what they are actually treating is the bulbs, so putting cannabis plants under those conditions may or may not be the best idea. You are going to lose terpenes with that method that start to cook off at 85 degrees. Probably not the best idea, perhaps some pure crop 1 would be a better solution. Safe to day of harvest!

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

I know they make mention of plants but what they are actually treating is the bulbs, so putting cannabis plants under those conditions may or may not be the best idea. You are going to lose terpenes with that method that start to cook off at 85 degrees. Probably not the best idea, perhaps some pure crop 1 would be a better solution. Safe to day of harvest!
Yeah this is not something to try with living plants, but between grows.

Dank.in.Donuts

Dank.in.Donuts

I read somewhere that CO2 will suffocate them anyway so is there a need to raise the tem?

Anthem

Anthem

15,000 PPM is not lethal for humans. Greater than 40,000 PPM can be. This is Carbon dioxide not Carbon Monoxide.

Dank.in.Donuts

Dank.in.Donuts

I dont think theyr aphids. I had a prob with thrips a couple time and I hung sticky tape and sprayed neem. this time I can see them scurrying in the soil but the wierd thing is they were climbing up the plant trunk and branches so I neemed them real good and the soil.

Dank.in.Donuts

Dank.in.Donuts

Sticky Strips and Nematods seem to be working huge decrease in population

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

Please read your post above and the article once again. You need to understand the difference between percentages and parts per million. You are wrong. 15,000 parts per million is 1.5 percent of 1,000,000.
Yes my bad, thanks for fixing my mistake.

Top Bottom