Root aphids, phylloxera, root mealy bugs, or bulb mites???

• Thread starter F.Dupp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F.Dupp

F.Dupp

A good guess would be some sort of bulb mite. If hey're A. Robini you might want to just pack them up for the garbage and sterilize your area..lmfao! Im not playing either. You can waste all the time you want if its rhem you are fucked if the merit didnt kill them. You might just have borgs on your hands
They very well may be bulb mites. It would appear that there are different shaped and sized adults. As shown here. (Although I am fairly certain I have seen winged adults associated with these pests)
20210724 211146

pawhuska

pawhuska

spray 70-91 % rubbing alcohol it Kills quick and the alcohol evaporates quick enough that it doesn't hurt the plant i also use peroxide as a way to prevent pest`s...helps me hope it helps you

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

So I have been battling these little bastard bugs for far too long. It seems that they are unkillable, and no matter how long I shut down for, they just keep coming back. Im not even sure wtf they are. I thought they were micro RA, but Im beginning to have doubts after reading a few threads here by other growers who seem to have the same pest. They have survived being nuked with Merit 75, Kontos, Spinosad, and PyGanic. After hitting the plants with Kontos (with a small amount of Dawn dish soap mixed in) my plants are looking like shit. While the bugs are definitely damaging the plants, I am dealing out equal damage to the plants by trying to kill the bugs. This has me at my wits end. I have tried to get pics and video of them, but they are so small that its difficult to get the camera to focus. It almost appears that these things have tails like a mealy bug, or they are bulb mites that walk backwards??? My plants exhibit classic RA damage- Dying lower leaves, phantom deficiencies, root rot, loss of vigor and yield. I have also seen small black winged bugs which I believe were RA flyers. If it were not for the bug being white and crawling on a black net pot, I would never know I have them, as they are so small that you really have to look to see them.

I had some success with nematodes. It’s not an overnight fix but beats the hell out of spraying chemicals on your medicine.

F.Dupp

F.Dupp

I had some success with nematodes. It’s not an overnight fix but beats the hell out of spraying chemicals on your medicine.
I was considering getting some nematodes. I think they would be helpful due to the minute size of these insects. The entomologist who I am sending some samples of the bugs off to, says she will also provide me with a regimen to control the little bastards. Whatever they are.

HikariZo

HikariZo

So I have been battling these little bastard bugs for far too long. It seems that they are unkillable, and no matter how long I shut down for, they just keep coming back. Im not even sure wtf they are. I thought they were micro RA, but Im beginning to have doubts after reading a few threads here by other growers who seem to have the same pest. They have survived being nuked with Merit 75, Kontos, Spinosad, and PyGanic. After hitting the plants with Kontos (with a small amount of Dawn dish soap mixed in) my plants are looking like shit. While the bugs are definitely damaging the plants, I am dealing out equal damage to the plants by trying to kill the bugs. This has me at my wits end. I have tried to get pics and video of them, but they are so small that its difficult to get the camera to focus. It almost appears that these things have tails like a mealy bug, or they are bulb mites that walk backwards??? My plants exhibit classic RA damage- Dying lower leaves, phantom deficiencies, root rot, loss of vigor and yield. I have also seen small black winged bugs which I believe were RA flyers. If it were not for the bug being white and crawling on a black net pot, I would never know I have them, as they are so small that you really have to look to see them.

I use

I use Neem Oil, and it keeps the bugs off my plants

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

I would try some predators. I would unleash the most vile and bloodthirsty predators i can find and make those bugs count their days.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

I downloaded a magnifying app for my phone. I am sending them off to the entomologist to get them identified. I will report the findings.
Do you not have a a loupe or anything? I would definitely try using that with your phone instead of that magnifier.

F.Dupp

F.Dupp

So I received the report from the IPM lady. She says these bugs are Tyrophagus putrescentiae, aka the mold mite. The report also states that these mites do not feed on living plants, which is bullshit. If left unchecked these little bastards will kill my plants before they can finish. There is no winged stage of this bug, which is odd, as I have seen small gnat like creatures gather near the tops of net cups before.

As it turns out, these bugs are purposefully placed into packages of predator mites, as to feed the predators during shipping. And I believe that is where I got them. Years ago I bought some predator mites to stop a spider mite infestation. They didnt stop the spider mites, but it would appear I received another infestation, as shortly after the spider mite incident, I noticed the presence of these little fuckers.

So now Im on a mission to kill these seemingly unkillable mites. Yay...

Cannarook

Cannarook

@F.Dupp Did you find a solution to your problem? If so, what was the regimine?

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

There is no winged stage of this bug, which is odd, as I have seen small gnat like creatures gather near the tops of net cups before.
That further suggests they might actually be bulb mites. Bulb mites typically are spread by, and benefit from, fungus gnats, hitching rides on them and capitalizing on the food provided by damage from them.

Sadly I think the only known options for getting rid of them are sanitation between crops or CO2 fumigation.

Top Bottom