Roots Excel

• Thread starter MediMary
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RMCG

is Jack, Jackmayoffer or someone else?

To compare Jack would need to have one system with zone, one with zone + excel, and one with excel alone all with the same strain, am I looking at this correctly?

I might try a little test myself, although with my lack of experience I don't think it would be all that definitive.

I got a bottle of the Down Under HF yesterday.
Maybe ill do one plant with HF, One with Roots Excel, and one with plain water.
Until further clarification I would be a little iffy using the Excel with the HF, not saying it will hurt the plants in any way, just not sure if thats the optimal use for it.

Do you have a link so I can follow along.
Thank you RMCG.:)

Yes, Jack = JackMayOffer.

He has been running Roots Excel for subsequent runs. He just now started adding in Zone.

He should know right off whether Zone 'kills' RE or not.

DD = DoubleD's (MPB Fame) ran RE and HydroSparkle.

I also snagged some 'Down Under HF' and will be giving that a go in my Dueling UCE's vs Zone...

M

MediMary

here was the add i was talking about,

IMG_3152.JPG

true grit

true grit

I'd be interested to see how far folks would wanna take it in bloom. Or folks just thinking of dropping it and adding zone at certain point?

skwirlgirl

skwirlgirl

i wouldn't combine the 2..dumb. One is living and the other kills...doh. I wish I invented RE HAHA 60 somethin bux for a little bottle...zone is no bargain either but 60 bux hahahahaha..GTFOH I can grow without it

R

RMCG

I'd be interested to see how far folks would wanna take it in bloom. Or folks just thinking of dropping it and adding zone at certain point?

RE is to be used up to week 3 of flower.

After bud set, roots don't really grow much anyway.

true grit

true grit

Yeah I use RE off and on.....I guess I was asking if thats the intent of the thread- using RE to a point then switching over to zone?

R

RMCG

Yeah I use RE off and on.....I guess I was asking if thats the intent of the thread- using RE to a point then switching over to zone?

Sorry, didn't mean to insult. :)

I thought it was more to clear up the confusion of whether its 'live or not', which apparently it is and not hormonal. I think there has been 5 threads on it lately. I get confused and turned around easily.

So...

Definitely going to be the way I run it.

Get the root mass as large and healthy as possible, then introduce Zone/HF to keep it clean/sterile to finish out its life.

N

NRG

Ucmenow, was correct, it was the cali based cats, here is what a different rep had to say ""we are house and garden.us ...the u s owners..we represent H&G in the u s....we are not the scientists. My boss owns the rights to the name here in the u s...he actually went to holland and brought it over here years ago. If anyone sells it they have to go through him. he told me that the reason why we don't talk about the bacteria is because of labeling issues and we don't want it pulled from the shelf in certain states. But unofficially...I can tell you there is def bacteria in there...thats how it works...Thanks for your concern....Peace""

I think from reading roots excel till week 3, then maybe a sterilizer,

what do you guys think of this product?

R

RMCG

So if its 'live' and not hormonal, why can't it be 'cultured' and brewed up to larger batches?

F' buying it at 225/L if I can pitch it into some medium where it will thrive and procreate.

Just like beer yeast, mushroom innoculations, sourdough yeast, etc. Bio-Bucket guys and Aquarium folk 'prime or seed' their systems with cultures from the previous run or another tank.

Whats the difference?

N

NRG

haha RMCG apparently I don't spread the love around enough.
Thats a good question!

C

canaguy27

I think from reading roots excel till week 3, then maybe a sterilizer,

Are you saying run a "live" res until week 3 and then kill it all? So maybe using HF and RE together are a waste... The problem is the rot that can happen in these systems. That is why HF is needed. I would not want to run without it.

N

NRG

Im just trying to get a better understanding of how to use my additives before I start my first run, I have down under HF, but after hearing the owner of UC, and his take on running beneficial and seeing folks switching left and right from RDWC to other things like perlight/coco
Im afraid to even put clones in the system.
I have other questions as well, maybe DD used both Roots excel and HF at the same time, but say add the HF on Monday, then roots excel on Thursday, then let it go.

The house and garden rep told me, he personally likes to run roots excel, and then two days before a reservoir change he adds sm90 because it has sulfur and helps with preventing rot.

I did find a quote by doubleds "Every nute company has there gimmicks and hg's is iron. There is so much more nute's available to the plant that you get the claw very easily, esp when your 400 ppm's less than you normally run."

and when I talked to the rep, he mentioned the product had light nutrients in it, so Iron might be a big part of the product, just a random guess though.

N

NRG

I asked Chris from groovy hydro a quick question,
Hey Chris, quick question, can you use hydrofungicide in combination with other products, h202, zone, or roots excel, etc.
Any advice i can pass on?

"Lets start by grouping the products into similar families.

Zone, HF, and H2O2 are all sterilizers . . they kill good & bad micro-organisms. Neither Zone nor HF can say it on the label though, as I explained here by making an example of Zone:

(From: ) -

Hey there - Hydro-Fungicide is actually a brand name of an Australian product that has been used there successfully for 11 years. On this side of the equator, there are two suppliers, hydroponics.com in Canada, and in the United States groovyhydro.com (me). Canada calls it Hydro-Sparkle, here in the USA we call it Down Under-HF.

The active ingredient in Zone is chloramine, which is a softened down derivative of Chlorine aka bleach (Chlorox). If you smell it, it smells like a nice fresh swimming pool. Not to knock Zone, it does a good job on Pythium (Root Rot). Farmers have, however, reported cases of the slime (brown algae) while running DM Zone.

When you read the instructions on a bottle of Zone, you will not see them claiming it kills anything. That is because in the US and Canada, something is a pesticide when the label says it kills something. So quite literally, if you take a bottle of water and put a label on it that says it kills mildew, the EPA considers it a pesticide and therefore it needs to be registered.

Registration takes 2 years, during which time you cannot sell the product. Registration also takes a minimum of $120,000, and can go as high as $500,000 or more for newly formulated chemical compounds.

I will have to ask the Manufacturer (SandA Products) what the effect of Zone & HF would be, I doubt anything bad, either they would both be on patrol so to speak, or one may negate the effect of the other. But I am pretty sure adding them BOTH in wont make it safe again for baddies.

On a side note, many people get a false sense of success when they use H2O2 . . remember, its like that OXY CLEAN stuff, it bleaches things. I have read people saying .. ‘I hit the system with 35% H2O2 – in 30mins the roots were white’! Yeah the color changed, the brown got bleached out but it doesn’t mean they turned back into brand new white healthy roots in half an hour lol.

Now on to Roots Excel – a mysterious expensive yet definitely awesome product. From what I know, Roots Excel is a multi-component product. It FOR SURE has anaerobic bacteria (good kind) in there, to help colonize some good guys in the root area. I am also pretty sure it has those hormones that comes from willow bark, (Auxins) that stimulate root growth, or something similar. So basically, if you use it with any of the 3 sterilizers, you are turning it from a 2-trick pony into a 1-trick pony . . instead of it growing goodies & making roots blow up with growth, you are saying ‘fuck the lil good guys, I want a sterile res ,. . but while your down there, make the roots grow faster anyway’. Which doesn’t sound too bad in my opinion."

L

LongFlight

Yourmomsfav

Always assume the other guy is just as clueless as you are and double check info...

M

MediMary

soooo true. Reality check guys

Yourmomsfav

Always assume the other guy is just as clueless as you are and double check info...

This thread is a perfect example, all kinds of people were singing that this stuff was a hormone, that is why i started this thread in the first place, as I don;t want to spend 80 bucks on a bottle of root stimulator and use it incorrectly blowing my hard earned cash.

Then people get the attitude " If doubleds did it, it much be a winner and everything he ever said must be true."

The house and garden guys don't know what the hell they are talking about, or possibly some small chance some of the farmers are just trying to get "rep" or "cred" by making stuff up.

Hello, I contacted House & Garden, two days ago, talked to a rep, I had him talk to the Owner of the company, who apparently lives in San Diego.

The Owner says DO NOT USE ZONE, H202, HYDROFUNGICIDE, or ANY OTHER Sterilizers!!!! I will have more Definitive proof in a couple days, maybe a written statement or something from the Owner.

Spoke with my H&G rep. Roots is not living.
It is a seaweed extract with hormones, amino acids, with cytokins.
Zone does not affect it and will not kill anything in it.
Straight from H&G Rep.

I saw some of dizzles blackberries online, they didnt look that much smaller than Doubleds plants, everybody thinks doubleds only gives 100% true info cause he had some nice looking plants, man he is a regular person like everyone here, all gardeners have made mistakes at one point, for all we know all the pictures he put up he could have been exaggerating the numbers(trying to get attention for his design), he did sorta knock off heaths design and repackaged the system as his own.
Don't get me wrong I very much enjoy reading doubleds posts, and such, im not saying he smudged the numbers, or is a fake, but how are we as simple viewers watching someone elses show online to know if they are telling the truth, or just pulling conversations out of nowhere?

Just being realistic

R

RMCG

This thread is a perfect example, all kinds of people were singing that this stuff was a hormone, that is why i started this thread in the first place, as I don;t want to spend 80 bucks on a bottle of root stimulator and use it incorrectly blowing my hard earned cash.

Well, If it does contain Willow Bark extract, then it IS hormonal.

Auxins = Plant Growth Hormone

As well as being 'alive' with beneficials.

M

MediMary

I mean a lot of folks were saying it was only hormonal, and that it contained no bacteria. And was fine to use with hydrofungicide.zone etc.

when marky talked to the rep, he said the Rep told him there was nothing live in there.

I called yesterday, and talked to a rep too, the rep said its a select beneficial bacteria, with lite nutrients, didnt say anything at all about about hormones.

I don't think much of H&G, I know they got to keep their trade secrets, but if they cant give the growers enough info so they can properly use the product, WTF?

After everything I have read, I would assume what Chris of Groovy said, was pretty spot on, it seems hard for me to believe that fairly experienced growers would keep buying this expensive product if it didn't do anything.

M

MediMary

Isnt there bacteria present in most evrything.
D
I think were talking about bacteria placed in roots excel by the co., not some bacteria that randomly got in there/

Edit*
post came across a bit rude, not my intention.

Latest posts

Top Bottom