Roots organics top feed instructions seem unclear.

• Thread starter MajinZeke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MajinZeke

MajinZeke

I got a bag here, says 1 tsp per gallon of soil. And as mentioned, doesn't say when or how often to add. I mix in some grow about 4 weeks into veg, and mix in some bloom about 4 weeks into flower. Not saying that's right or wrong, but produces good results

View attachment 2126087
So, you just add it twice per grow? What soil do you use?

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

I only use the uprising terps tea, but I don't use that much. I sometimes add a table spoon to a gallon of water or just mix a tablespoon spoon of dry with the regular dose up the uprising dry amendments.it works great in my outdoor plants

Asmodeus

Asmodeus

So, you just add it twice per grow? What soil do you use?
Yep that's all I add. I start in happy frog then up pot with ocean forest. That soil combo alone carries the grow pretty much the whole way, I only ammend it 2 or 3 times. No cal mag, no bottles of a, b and c, no magic potions.. Not saying that's the way to do it, but I get great results with that simple method

MaceFace

MaceFace

I’ve used roots organics for a few grows now. I’m not an experienced grower but it seemed to provide nutrition to the plant. My grow shop told me to mix 1 tsp of Roots into 1 gallon of water when plants are smaller, then I increase it to 1 tablespoon as they grow. This will avoid nutrient burn.
If you want, you can aerate it for 24 hours. This is supposed to feed the bacteria and get their functions jumpstarted before they go into the soil.
They also advised using a molasses or something like Bud Candy to feed the bacteria while aerating. Bud candy is more expensive, but I think there are some particulars with the molasses you must look at (sulphur / unsulphured).
I’m not an expert at all. This is what I gleaned from here and grow store. It’s never hurt my plants, and they seemed to grow ok.

If anything I said was incorrect, please feel free to tell me bc I always want to learn.

Z

Zill

Mace face,

Good stuff. Just bear in mind molasses and Bud candy do nothing but line pockets of manufacturers making that BS. Not so much Grandma’s molasses but other stuff is crap. Read the labels: 1) they don’t tell you what it contains and; 2) they can’t tell you how it works. It just makes you feel good.

Z.

MaceFace

MaceFace

Mace face,

Good stuff. Just bear in mind molasses and Bud candy do nothing but line pockets of manufacturers making that BS. Not so much Grandma’s molasses but other stuff is crap. Read the labels: 1) they don’t tell you what it contains and; 2) they can’t tell you how it works. It just makes you feel good.

Z.
I’ve always wondered how much is marketing and taking advantage of a market of eager growers. My sister has horticulture degree and she said many of these items will over promise and under deliver.
She said you can get much of what you need in nutrients at a far less price. I do think the bacteria and mycorrhiza in the soil in theory could be helpful. I’ve never understood what bud candy really did other than feed sugars to the bacteria?
Do you have a recommended molasses you use?

Z

Zill

MF,

The main issue with molasses is that you’re putting 100 octane fuel in the soil. Microbes digest that stuff instantly. Yup, microbe populations will rapidly explode AND microbe populations drop like rock as soon as the molasses is consumed. It really does nothing. I don’t use it in gardening.

The guys that mash/ferment their own liquor using vegetable and feed plants with hat make a lot more sense than adding sugar. Adding vegtable oil makes more sense than raw sugar.

Look at some of those liquid “special” prepared fertilizers. Like 0-0.5-1.0 formulated in a gallon of water ( I made up those ratios) .

That’s 0% N2-0.5% Phosphate-1.0% KCl salts dissolved in a gallon of water. A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. Guess what you’re paying for.

Make it yourself. Buy the salts and ask your sister to check your math.

Zill.

S

SquaadFather

Majin,

Look at it this way - roots organics is just that a weak fertilizer in a rotted organic background. The way you are using will not hurt you or the plants.

Roots Organics - I looked at their product line. I typically avoid any product where the manufacturer cannot/does not tell a consumer what is in the bottle. They avoid that because it’s all crap, fiction. And I avoid at all costs anything touted as organic. Unless I mash it myself. Such BS. They are making loads of money selling nothing.
Not sure what this post is supposed to mean. I’m new to organic gardening in general but my goal was to read labels and learn about what I’m actually putting in. RO seems to have very clear and concise ingredients lists on the products and their website
View attachment 2126067

Read this product description. After digestion can you tell me what this product is? No you can’t. Be use there is nothing inthe there. They don’t know

Product Description​

Roots Organics Buddha Grow is a one-part organic vegative growth nutrient formulated for potting soil and potting soilless gardens. Buddha Grow is a proprietary blend of the finest organic ingredients, specifically created to promote vigor, increase yields and enhance quality in potting soil grown plants during the vegetative stage of their life. Worldwide sourcing and deliberate design extracted and condensed into an exceptional liquid blend targeted to encourage excellence from your plants
See their website below. Seems to be a nitrogen rich bat guano and microbe food mix? I haven’t used their liquid nutes but I’ve read all their ingredients and they seem pretty cool.

IMG 0294
S

SquaadFather

I’ve been using the uprising grow and bloom and terp tea bloom for a grow now. From what I’ve gathered the application rates for all products are 1 Tbsp/gallon of soil as a top dress and 1tsp/gallon of water (preferably aerated 24 hours).
I have used both the uprising as an aact and the terp tea as a top dress.

After aerating for 24 hours, the fertilizer ec using the uprising goes from 200us to 500us. The terp tea goes from 300us to 700us. The micronization makes the terp line breakdown much faster and I think spreads organic matter through the medium much better when watering.

My current plan is to cycle weekly top dress and terp tea. Preferably in veg, by loading the bottom half of the pots with uprising grow, I can get through with maybe one top dressing after week 3-4 and transplanting for veg after 4-6 weeks. Water only besides that. I have made compost tea with uprising grow to combat nitrogen def, and may pick up a small bag of terp grow for this instead (although it definitely helped).

When transplanting, I prepare soil with 50/50 uprising grow and bloom at 1tbsp per gallon. I’m working on getting bigger pots in hope that this will be all the nutes needed, but in the mean time I start alternating terp tea and top dressing uprising bloom. Week 1-3 I might do 50/50 terp tea grow and bloom depending on nitrogen needs during stretch.

Aside from this the occasional recharge application keeps things active! Terp tea microbe charge seems nice but expensive. Late in bloom I’m planning to increase terp tea bloom to 2tsp per gal of water. When preparing soil I sometimes go a bit heavier than 1tbsp/gal. My thought is in organics, it is harder to burn a plant due to the microbes in the soil. It’s more important to have nutrient availability if needed.

I’m currently doing a side by side grow testing ro water vs tap water (900-1100ppm). I’m thinking I need to supplement calmag with ro water. The roots organic elemental seems nice to use as a top dress every 2 weeks but pricey again. If tap water is a no go, I’m planning to use gypsum, epsom salt, and wollastonite as a cheaper solution.

I hope you guys don’t mind the long post! There doesn’t seem to be a ton of people using roots and I’ve been researching this myself. Just trying to dump everything I’ve learned so far!

Zer0Tolerance

Zer0Tolerance

Dry ammendment Feeding schedule from roots organic. I use the terp tea line. You can find other feeding schedules on the aurora website. The first part of this explains the directions, so you should head to the website to give it a read. I've gotta head to an appt but can circle back in a bit.

R

RhastaBlasta

That all looks kinda complicated, why not just buy a good made-up solution that others recommend?

Zer0Tolerance

Zer0Tolerance

So the feeding schedule above is for their dry ammendments. It's listed based on different pot size. On the bag, they have the 1 tsp/gal recommendation for the smaller pot sizes. They have one for liquid as well. They've got a couple different nutrient lines, but they're all included on the same table.

For instance, I use the terp tea line. In veg, I really don't add anything because I use Roots original soil and it's preloaded with enough to make it either all the way to flower or most of the way to flower before I have to add any Terp Tea Grow.

Then, I'll kind of follow their schedule for their Terp Tea stuff at a rate of anywhere from 1/8tsp/gal to 1 tsp/gal of water (or soil if I'm top dressing). Depending on the size of plant and what signs the leaves are showing and auto vs photo. I usually direct mix and feed alternating feed/water so that one feed is done per week.

I've experimented with top dressing, brewing teas, and direct mix and add. I find the direct mix and add provides a consistent outcome that I can judge. The tea brewing just makes me want to clean the bucket and air pump too much and have to plan too much. I haven't worked with top dressing enough to be able to dial in the feed amounts like I have the direct feed amounts.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Majin,

Look at it this way - roots organics is just that a weak fertilizer in a rotted organic background. The way you are using will not hurt you or the plants.

Roots Organics - I looked at their product line. I typically avoid any product where the manufacturer cannot/does not tell a consumer what is in the bottle. They avoid that because it’s all crap, fiction. And I avoid at all costs anything touted as organic. Unless I mash it myself. Such BS. They are making loads of money selling nothing.
I 100% agree Zill, I also completely ignore any claim stated on the bottle and just look for specific ingredients. Amystery concoction is probably snake oil. ✌

Z

Zill

Rhasta,

Roots Organics is BS. Look at that feeding schedule! Let’s make it so complicated and involved that no one really knows what they are applying and why. But by golly they seem to know more than me. Bullshit baffles brains every single time.

Listen to Rhasta.

Zer0Tolerance

Zer0Tolerance

Lol it's a schedule that has a product, a week to add it, and an amount to add. How is that complicated?

If you have the product, look at what week you're on, add the amount it says or what you're comfortable with adding, and go from there.

It's that simple and not complicated. Just like any other feeding schedule I've seen.

So, this 'BS' company that puts out these products happens to put out a decent product that works well growing cannabis plants without much effort.

I've seen a ton of other nutrient related problems popping up left and right and I will say that the majority of them aren't from Roots Organic products (if I recall correctly). And, not to mention, a $13-16 bag of grow or bloom nutes will last years.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I like the way they say, if you don’t notice any benefits in your harvest from using any product, whether ours or another companies, don’t use it!

Z

Zill

If you believe this dribble, copied below, describing a RO product I’m selling fur coat in July we should talk about.

Roots Organics Trinity Bio Catalyst is a blend of select organic compounds designed for maximum effect as a catalyst for plant and rhizosphere nutrient uptake and growth. Trinity is a universal nutrient supplement that can substantially increase yields and enhance the highest quality production and flavor during the growth and bloom stages of your potting soil grown plants. Trinity is a distinctive formula of complex carbohydrates and soy protein extracts combined to encourage plant vigor, reduce stress, rapidly accelerate growth and substantially increase yields. Trinity can be used with any nutrient program for increased micronutrient uptake.
  • A blend of select organic compounds designed for maximum effect as a catalyst for plant and rhizosphere nutrient uptake and growth
  • Can substantially increase yields and enhance the highest quality production and flavor during the growth and bloom stages of your potting soil-grown plants
  • A distinctive formula of complex carbohydrates and soy protein extracts

Latest posts

Top Bottom