russet mites

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nightmarecreature

They have no immunity to Conserve. The Conserve will work them everytime. I wouldnt bother with anything else.

I know a few people who say it works better than AVID.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I dont recommend Dawn, it has killed some of my plants in the past. It clogs the Stomata. Its not a dessicant, its a wetting agent. Yucca works and Coco Wet both work without any damage to plants. They are cheap, I wouldnt use anything else. I like the cocowet better because Yucca gets really foamy.

Stop screwing around with Sulfur and oils, get the Conserve and be a believer.
How does Dawn detergent clog stomata? It's used by wildlife rescuers because it's so good at stripping away oil, so clogging is kinda confusing. Hell, my jeweler recommended it for cleaning my diamonds, said it will leave them with no residues whatsoever, so that statement makes me curious.

619ster

619ster

Yea @venial let's piece up lol

@nightmarecreature my post stated $100+ I didn't say $100. I wish. If I can't find a cheaper alternative, I will certainly cough up the cash. I know I can get small doses of Avid or Floramite and stuff like that at the hydro shop I go to, but haven't asked about Conserve.

N

nightmarecreature

How does Dawn detergent clog stomata? It's used by wildlife rescuers because it's so good at stripping away oil, so clogging is kinda confusing. Hell, my jeweler recommended it for cleaning my diamonds, said it will leave them with no residues whatsoever, so that statement makes me curious.

All I know is that a few years ago I used a little too much and it killed everything in my whole garden. The plants shriveled up and died. This was an indoor room and a flowering room.

I believe I used a tablespoon per gallon. Ive use Yucca and Cocowet with no problems ever.

People have problems because they CHEAP out. Cocowet is $7 bucks, thats cheap and it works. I wouldnt steer anyone in the wrong direction. I know Dawn is a little cheaper but stick to Yucca or Cocowet.

Last edited:
AcidSourDank

AcidSourDank

Thanks nightmare for the Conserve recommendation. I have a couple of bottle of Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew Concentrate which has the same active ingredient Spinosad. Is there anything in particular different about the Conserve? I thought it was reported that Spinosad didn't work against Russets?

I think the sulfur mix might be good as a deterrent but it definitely isn't cutting it at the level I'm dealing with, mainly because the Russets just move on to the nice fresh new growth that formed after the last sulfur spraying.

The issue of the spray causing damage is kinda complex. What I've noticed is that the places on leaves that would have eventually showed damage from the Russets after a few days instead shows up immediately after the sulfur spraying, like on the edges of the leaflets where they all meet and the edges of the newest leaf formations. I know this is not just simply from the sulfur spray because I can have two plants of the same genetics in the same pot and one will show a bunch of damage and the other won't have any damage. It's because one was more infested with the Russets. When the leaf edges get eaten by the Russets and then get hit by the sulfur mix all the chewed locations get fried. Everywhere else is perfectly healthy.

I recently tried yucca and I wasn't pleased with it. I used the recommended amount of yucca with an Avid solution. The solution was totally beading up on the leaves and not showing complete coverage at all. I made sure to get the yucca mixed up well so I don't know what the deal was. It's a bummer because a small expensive bag of it was supposed to go a long way. I have found that the standard generic non-ionic surfactant works much better for me. I'll post the exact ingredients of that surfactant later cuz I need to pick up another bottle of it.

I'm just getting into flowering now because I was able to delay things. Is there any hope of cooler weather in the future shutting these bastards down????

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thanks nightmare for the Conserve recommendation. I have a couple of bottle of Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew Concentrate which has the same active ingredient Spinosad. Is there anything in particular different about the Conserve? I thought it was reported that Spinosad didn't work against Russets?

I think the sulfur mix might be good as a deterrent but it definitely isn't cutting it at the level I'm dealing with, mainly because the Russets just move on to the nice fresh new growth that formed after the last sulfur spraying.

The issue of the spray causing damage is kinda complex. What I've noticed is that the places on leaves that would have eventually showed damage from the Russets after a few days instead shows up immediately after the sulfur spraying, like on the edges of the leaflets where they all meet and the edges of the newest leaf formations. I know this is not just simply from the sulfur spray because I can have two plants of the same genetics in the same pot and one will show a bunch of damage and the other won't have any damage. It's because one was more infested with the Russets. When the leaf edges get eaten by the Russets and then get hit by the sulfur mix all the chewed locations get fried. Everywhere else is perfectly healthy.

I recently tried yucca and I wasn't pleased with it. I used the recommended amount of yucca with an Avid solution. The solution was totally beading up on the leaves and not showing complete coverage at all. I made sure to get the yucca mixed up well so I don't know what the deal was. It's a bummer because a small expensive bag of it was supposed to go a long way. I have found that the standard generic non-ionic surfactant works much better for me. I'll post the exact ingredients of that surfactant later cuz I need to pick up another bottle of it.

I'm just getting into flowering now because I was able to delay things. Is there any hope of cooler weather in the future shutting these bastards down????
Bummer ACD :( I was afraid to use the sulphur spray i bought.
Conserve is like 11% spinosad. Dead bug and Monterey are just 0.5%
I have a bottle of Monterey still and Im wondering if I could just mix it stronger
My Conserve wont be here till tuesday :(
I think the russets might prefer cooler wetter weather.:depressed:.not sure though
I hope you get a handle on em soon

N

nightmarecreature

The difference is Captain Jack, doesnt do Jack.

N

nightmarecreature

Bummer ACD :( I was afraid to use the sulphur spray i bought.
Conserve is like 11% spinosad. Dead bug and Monterey are just 0.5%
I have a bottle of Monterey still and Im wondering if I could just mix it stronger
My Conserve wont be here till tuesday :(
I think the russets might prefer cooler wetter weather.:depressed:.not sure though
I hope you get a handle on em soon

Wait till Tuesday lol

AcidSourDank

AcidSourDank

I went to two grow-shops today to look for any new info was on fighting the Russets. Here's is the latest product. Both stores are selling it like crazy.
20140831 161332

N

nightmarecreature

I went to two grow-shops today to look for any new info was on fighting the Russets. Here's is the latest product. Both stores are selling it like crazy.
View attachment 437417

I wouldnt trust that stuff. Conserve SC is made by Dow Agro. Some stuff that costs $130 with some Wizard on it really made me LOL.

Im telling people what is proven and a no nonsense approach to killing bugs dead!

Last edited:
AcidSourDank

AcidSourDank

I'm not knocking Conserve. Spinosad has been a great weapon for me in the past. I just didn't realize it was effective on Russets. I'm open to whatever works.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
View attachment 437417
i was wondering what was in it..
Let me guess, It has yeast in it?
like Nuke em?

Worth a Try for sure, enzymes are good stuff
good luck

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
All I know is that a few years ago I used a little too much and it killed everything in my whole garden. The plants shriveled up and died. This was an indoor room and a flowering room.

I believe I used a tablespoon per gallon. Ive use Yucca and Cocowet with no problems ever.

People have problems because they CHEAP out. Cocowet is $7 bucks, thats cheap and it works. I wouldnt steer anyone in the wrong direction. I know Dawn is a little cheaper but stick to Yucca or Cocowet.
I was curious about what happened, thanks. I don't normally use Dawn, I usually use castile soaps but figured I should pay attention because it may not be so much a matter of IF I get HRMs, it may very well simply be a matter of WHEN. So all input on this from folks who've had their rubber meet the road is important.
Im just pointing people in the right direction so they save time and money.

Ive used Spinosad before and it didnt work. Ive tried almost all of them. The Conserve works too good!
It's GOT to be the concentrations, then. EG, I just read that where DiPel fails, XenTari works well.

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

Update: We have been doing regular sprays with the either the OGBiowar or Met52 and bugs are dead. Girls are thriving and putting on weight. My garden is rebounding better than hubby's and there were only 2 differences. I used OGB first and with a paint sprayer and got a good fog throughout the garden. Hubby used a hand pump sprayer and said he did a very thorough job. Knowing him, I'm sure that is true. After running out of OGB we switched to Met52. It works too but I don't like the stuff. It is a black oil that sits on top of the water. The way the company I bought it from explained it was that the emulsifiers in it carry the spores throughout the water and the oil just floats on top. You have to keep agitating it. There are some little black spots of that oil on the plants that I do not like. But the stuff does work. But for my money, I'm switching back and sticking to the OGB. The plants LOVE, LOVE it!

After seeing the difference in my plants, hubby brought me samples of his girls that were still having trouble and I saw there were still active bugs crawling around. Lots of dead ones too but too much activity still. He loaded up the paint sprayer I used and the generator to run it (is why he didn't use it the first time) and did the fog thing with the Met52 in his garden. 2 days later took samples again and NO MOVING BUGS. Another couple of days and still fewer bugs left on the plants and no more moving bugs.

Anecdotal evidence would suggest the delivery of the treatments make a difference. That is really the only thing we did different from each other. We both just sprayed bT for budworms as a preventative and will keep using the Met52 until it runs out or until the new order of OGB gets here. I have some pics of the new growth and will post them after this. Suffice it to say I am super happy to have at least knocked down these bastards with organic controls - despite the naysayers. I think so much depends upon thoroughness, consistency in timing, and dare I say, a positive attitude in the garden. The girls don't like negative vibes.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
@CannaCrone ; Great News! and Great post! Great to hear that!
I looked at soo many threads about russets and so many people said Organics would not work.
Lots of growers said nothing worked.
:confused:
Now, its as easy as Bio war..
Or Spinosad?

I was scared shitless.. I sprayed a pound of Bio War in 20 gals of water
(10 gal sprayed twice, a few days apart)
I agree the Paint sprayer it the hot ticket..best investment i made.
..My plants are recovering nicely too.
Still scary though:nailbiting:

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
View attachment 437417
I see now that is a concentrate..So tyhat might not be a bad price.
I would spray that if I had it. Please let us know how you like it.

Top Bottom