russet mites

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SunGrown

SunGrown

Perhaps, but how far can a lizard really travel? Their territories aren't that large in the first place, and there are no migratory lizards as far as I know. Birds seem the most likely culprit, and would be responsible for carrying pests both along and beyond elevation changes.
Ew! Mine have created a new specie of short-tailed lizard. The chickens gobble down any hapless victim they can find.
LOL, great stuff.

Unfortunately the last of my hens were eaten by the fox a couple weeks back, really sux, my turkeys too

The fox was getting thru the holes of the chain link where the hens were caged at night time. Or else they are magical and just walk right thru the chain link...It has a covered roof...

Probably right about the lizards, but I was thinking it due to the bugs being dormant in the soil and the lizards running around and burrowing.

I will either greenhouse or net EVERYTHING next year, I am over the bugs!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hardware cloth, buried at least a foot into the soil and nailed to 4x's is really the only way to have a hope of keeping birds. I just found out that cougar tracks have been found less than a mile from our place.

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

@CannaCrone

I thought maybe you were a lady! Good to see lots more ladies farmin! Esp the balls to the wall type, or is it eggs to the wall? :p

My buddy just acquired a new lady in his life who is also a go all in, fuck it, grow lots of girls kinda lady and I am so stoked for him...I am sure your husband is very impressed with you as well!

Ahh, shucks. Thank you. ;) I started in the 70's as a kid. Stopped in the 80's when I had kids because back then they took your kids away if you got caught. Took it up again in the 90's. But have been a "regular" gardener my whole life.

Well this post dates me. Oh well. Yes, I am old. :sour:

I hear ya on the strains. I have my faves too but other people have different faves so I keep about 18-20 going for the variety. I have taken out a few, mostly some new fangled crosses that I thought were shit - at least for me they were. I do like to experiment with my own crosses too and make some seeds each year. Won't be doing that this year though. I didn't grow out any males due to my injury and needed to limit the workload.

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

LOL, great stuff.

Some of the worst spider mite infestations I have had were in the greenhouse. I think short of a sterile laboratory environment, pests are an ongoing issue and kind of goes with the territory so to speak. Pest management is part of the job description. It's the not-so-fun part. :sorry:

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

Morning update:

After the super dose of Nuke Em last night, I took about a dozen samplings and scoped them this morning. Better. But not 100%. I still saw some movement in some of the larger bugs. I saw a lot more dead bugs though so the Nuke Em at the higher strength did help to ease the pressure. And I saw more predators that were seemingly unphased, so that is a good thing too. Now we will hit everyone with the OGBiowar tonight. I started a brew of earthworm castings tea with molasses added last night as per instructions. 100 ml molasses per 4 gallons water seems like a lot to foliar spray but am going by instructions. Will add the OGB to it this evening a couple hours before using it. Sure hope this knocks them out the rest of the way. If not, I'll be getting some Met52 since @SunGrown has had good results with it.

SunGrown

SunGrown

Some of the worst spider mite infestations I have had were in the greenhouse. I think short of a sterile laboratory environment, pests are an ongoing issue and kind of goes with the territory so to speak. Pest management is part of the job description. It's the not-so-fun part. :sorry:
I agree, same with indoors. I do feel I do a descent job with prevention, but that week or so of russets I battled did make me question what did I do wrong this time

But honestly the 2 spotted spider mite is a cake walk compared to russet. But I do hear of folks getting the russet inside as well.

I think I will be getting a few of the harvest excel greenhouses anyway, been planning on it for a while now, automated light dep makes a lot of sense esp with a few houses on biweekly rotations all year long.

And with the met52 in my arsenal I feel much better about things, of course, but shit can still go wrong...no matter how well prepared you are

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Can't flush a systemic...
What about a Translaminar?

Another feature of Forbid 4F is that, like Avid, it is translaminar. The active ingredient, spiromesifin, while not systemic (i.e., it does not move through the plant’s vascular system like, for example, Merit does), is absorbed by the plant’s leaves and will move from the tops of the leaves to the bottoms where the mites feed. This ability to move from the tops to bottoms of leaves significantly reduces the tedium of the spray process – while care should still be taken to cover the entire bush, rigorous spraying of the undersides of leaves should not be required. Moreover, according to Bayer, Forbid 4F controls mites at all life stages and offers an excellent residual of four to eight weeks for mites.
found that here

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

There were a couple of samples that still had bugs moving a little so I dusted them with diatomaceous earth. The little suckers raised up with their 4 feet in the air struggling, trying to get the stuff off. :walkingdead: They can't seem to move through it so are just stuck there under my microscope. Struggling. Dying. Slowly. Suffering. Bwahahaha! I might just dust the whole nursery. I'm quite leery to use it outdoors at this stage. Most have small buds forming and I don't know how well it would rinse off. Wouldn't want to be inhaling it in the final product. But as a pre-flower treatment, seems to work pretty well. I rinsed off one sample after dusting it and couldn't find a one on it - dead or alive.

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

I agree, same with indoors. I do feel I do a descent job with prevention, but that week or so of russets I battled did make me question what did I do wrong this time
But honestly the 2 spotted spider mite is a cake walk compared to russet. But I do hear of folks getting the russet inside as well.
I think I will be getting a few of the harvest excel greenhouses anyway, been planning on it for a while now, automated light dep makes a lot of sense esp with a few houses on biweekly rotations all year long.
And with the met52 in my arsenal I feel much better about things, of course, but shit can still go wrong...no matter how well prepared you are

Right??!! I thought I had totally lost my touch and just didn't know what I was doing wrong. We had one plant year before last from a bluedream cross I did with a sweet tooth cross that yielded a whopping 8 pounds! A White Fire cut gave me 6. I shit you not! And then this year? What a let down. Keeps one humble and trying harder though so I guess it will all work out.

My russets started indoors. Brought em in on clones. Everything that was started in that room has them but the ones I had in the greenhouse under a light before going outdoors do not. That's how I was able to pinpoint the source within reasonable certainty.

SunGrown

SunGrown

There were a couple of samples that still had bugs moving a little so I dusted them with diatomaceous earth. The little suckers raised up with their 4 feet in the air struggling, trying to get the stuff off. :walkingdead: They can't seem to move through it so are just stuck there under my microscope. Struggling. Dying. Slowly. Suffering. Bwahahaha! I might just dust the whole nursery. I'm quite leery to use it outdoors at this stage. Most have small buds forming and I don't know how well it would rinse off. Wouldn't want to be inhaling it in the final product. But as a pre-flower treatment, seems to work pretty well. I rinsed off one sample after dusting it and couldn't find a one on it - dead or alive.
bwahahaha! Good stuff! But yeah, prolly not on flowers

SunGrown

SunGrown

Right??!! I thought I had totally lost my touch and just didn't know what I was doing wrong. We had one plant year before last from a bluedream cross I did with a sweet tooth cross that yielded a whopping 8 pounds! A White Fire cut gave me 6. I shit you not! And then this year? What a let down. Keeps one humble and trying harder though so I guess it will all work out.

My russets started indoors. Brought em in on clones. Everything that was started in that room has them but the ones I had in the greenhouse under a light before going outdoors do not. That's how I was able to pinpoint the source within reasonable certainty.
I haven't pinpointed my cause yet. I wanted to blame harborside since I had a few strains come up from them, but none of those have the bugs...only the sfv. And my buddy that has the sfv does not have bugs, so I can not blame him either...

typically everyone gets clones from me, I keep many strains in veg 24/7 and I pretty much never take a cut from anyone cause they all have what I have anyway. But this year I wanted the dark heart and burning bush diesel as well as the acdc so I got them, no bugs on any of those strains.

No bad bugs on any now! knock on wood! (still scoping all the time though!)

I believe you on those yields for sure, even with the bug damage to my sfv's I will still likely hit 6 on each. I haven't grown the white fire yet though.

If blue dream x anything doesnt hit at least 6 then throw it away IMO, they get too big to fuck around with low yields.

Staying humble and maintaining humility is sadly something I see leaving this game.

Too many arrogant fucks that should probably record themselves when they talk so they can hear what an ass they are sometimes!

My 2 cents, but what do I know, I am just a simple mountain farmer

Prince Blanc

Prince Blanc

LOL, great stuff.

Unfortunately the last of my hens were eaten by the fox a couple weeks back, really sux, my turkeys too

The fox was getting thru the holes of the chain link where the hens were caged at night time. Or else they are magical and just walk right thru the chain link...It has a covered roof...

Probably right about the lizards, but I was thinking it due to the bugs being dormant in the soil and the lizards running around and burrowing.

Unless you're running a greenhouse which is completely closed off from the outside environment, I doubt that will solve the problem. IME greenhouses are more likely to lead to uncontrolled outbreaks. Netting would be even more useless.

SunGrown

SunGrown

Unless you're running a greenhouse which is completely closed off from the outside environment, I doubt that will solve the problem. IME greenhouses are more likely to lead to uncontrolled outbreaks. Netting would be even more useless.
lol, thanks for the input. I needed it

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Orange Dago #3 Is recovering nicely..Makin new fans, shedding old fans ..which is fine by me..saves me from having to do it later:)
Dago3810

SunGrown

SunGrown

are you noticing any shedding from the sprays?

Some of mine are still shedding inside fans, but like you, I dont give a rats ass, saves me time down doing it myself!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
are you noticing any shedding from the sprays?

Some of mine are still shedding inside fans, but like you, I dont give a rats ass, saves me time down doing it myself!
I dont know if they are shedding from the sprays, or just because they are used up. They are a pretty yellow color though..just like fall :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom