russet mites

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The Humanure

The Humanure

thanks for the reply, its Conscerve SC not avid and its from the dow people. I just wanted to know what dose people used. I guess ill do a few test plants. I dont have the package because I dont have the product yet.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Here. Along with dosing, please be sure to read the stuff in the Agricultural Use Requirements. That means you're going to have to learn about what a WPS is, and what the standard is they're referring to is. This is for your safety as well as environmental safety. Spinosad products should be applied in the evening, after pollinators have settled down, and when there is no wind, as drift is an issue folks must be cognizant of.

https://web.stanford.edu/dept/rde/c.../Conserve_label_for_Oak_Worm_Tussock_Moth.pdf

http://www.afpmb.org/sites/default/files/pubs/standardlists/msds/6840-01-457-6583_msds.pdf

The Humanure

The Humanure

nightmarecreature, can you tell me your mix ratio for spray and also soil drench of Conserve SC?

I'm not going to come on here and lie to anyone. I've used just about every insecticide product out there. This is the first time since I started growing 5 years ago that I have been bug free and it's all been with minimal effort. I was using organics, oils, ogbiowar, nasty chemicals. Even some of the nasty chems don't work, Triazicide was one of them. The organic's was a lot of work, I had to spray atleast once a week and I was still getting bugs. Some of the nasty chems did work but I was exposing myself to harmful chemicals and they needed to be reapplied regularly. The Conserve SC is pretty safe and it has the knockdown power I'm looking for that only comes from those nasty chemicals.

Next time someone comes on here and says,"Help! What should I do? I have bugs!" Either buy the Conserve and fix the problem or mess with BS soaps and oils that 90% of the pack uses.

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

After battling these bugs for a year and trying many different products and techniques to kill them, I finally found one that is fool proof - A big black trash bag. Moms I have had for 15 years all went in it. Then I put the bag in the sun on a 90 degree day. No more russets! No more plants either. It hurt to do it but I am so exhausted from the war. I started over with seeds and planted them outdoors. Implemented IPM rigorously from the start using biologicals and Amblyseius Andersoni predator mites. These bugs nearly eradicated russets from my nursery. I thought I had beat them for good but then after 2 months the borg was back. That was when I cried "Uncle" and got out the bags. On to the outdoor grow...

So, after plants from seed went outdoors we started spraying OGBiowar every week. Walking past an 8 footer I stopped and got an eery feeling. Picked a bud and scoped it. Sure enough. I had them again. Found out some other growers in the area (planted clones) did too so I suspect I got infected via a bird or flying insect of some sort. Stepped up the Biowar to every 2 days and it helped to slow them down. Did another release of Andersoni. I talked to the guy who I get my bugs from and inquired about a new product he had listed. He had no feedback on how it worked on cannabis but did have commercial nurseries that used it exclusively with great success on various pests. So I gave it a shot. I have been scoping for a couple weeks and cannot find one single russet - alive or dead! I did find Andersoni still on the hunt so the stuff didn't harm them.

The product is called Preferal and it is EXPENSIVE at $240! It's a OMRI listed microbial insecticide. The manufacturer has a 2 pound minimum on it which is why it costs so much. I've thrown so much money (between 1 & 2k) at these bugs I figured what is another 240? Ugh! Started spraying every 2 days due to the life cycle of the bug. The label calls for 3-10 day intervals for 2-3 weeks as needed. The active ingredient is called Isaria fumosorosea Apopka Strain 97. The fungus grows inside the bug. The bug dies and more spores are released to kill more bugs. For my garden, this stuff along with the Andersoni has worked wonders and better than anything I have used to date. I had 3 plants right in the middle of my garden that had them in sections. Bugs have not spread to the other plants and the ones that had them have NO SIGN left of them. Now I wish I had not destroyed my moms so I could have seen if it eradicated them completely.

Additional products I have used and found effective for control (not elimination) include in order of what worked best for me and before finding Preferal: 3 Combo of A. Andersoni & OGBiowar and/or Met 52, Conserve SC (worked at first then did not), Nuke Em, and what ever else I posted in this thread previously but can't recall right now.

I hope this will be my last update on the battle. It's been a long one. My new rules: No clones allowed here. No visitors. No animals in the garden except for wild birds I cannot control. Change clothes after working on infected plant and before moving to new one. (Clothes go right in washer. I found russets all over my pants when I was scoping a leaf that I laid on my knee for stability.) IPM starts from the moment plants go into the ground.

Good luck to all those fighting russets or broads.
It's no walk-in-the-park. I hope this helps someone and if you try it I hope you have results as good as I did with it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thank you for sharing this information, it's very helpful. I've been absolutely paranoid since I mostly grow OD and you just can't stop animals like wild birds from flying in and out unless you're able to enclose everything. I am not.

I put everything in the freezer before I wash it.

The Humanure

The Humanure

I found a few alive russets in the darkest part of a tree today.
They were def sick, the buds were hidden from light and immature.
Deep inside it was a lot of oranged out immature buds (where no light hits)

Nothing alive in my "money buds" no damage no dead russets and pleanty of crystals.
But deep down inside a tree yes some alive.

Hit it with conserve SC 3mil and checking again.

Hope this is the official russet thread?

Yee ha go go go 2015!!!

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

Thank you for sharing this information, it's very helpful. I've been absolutely paranoid since I mostly grow OD and you just can't stop animals like wild birds from flying in and out unless you're able to enclose everything. I am not.

I put everything in the freezer before I wash it.

These things are awful. One nearby grower has been growing OD here since the 90s, all from seed and never has had anything other than the occasional spider mite or pm. This year even he got russets and he is fairly remote and no one has been to his garden. They had to have come in on birds or other insects. I have not talked to one grower yet who has had them and got rid of them permanently - unless of course by way of destroying plants or harvesting everything then starting with fresh plants from seeds the following season. Have had discussions with growers who feel they are being spread rapidly via clones by producers who THINK they are clean because they can't see anything under a microscope at time of sale. Before I destroyed all my plants I started making my clones from clean looking moms. They did well at first and then I started finding them a few weeks in. All it takes is one egg well hidden in a crevice and you soon have an infestation again. This bug being so prevalent now has changed the way we grow. I assume we have them from the start. Because I use cannabis for my own condition and provide it (legally) to a handful of cancer patients, IPM from the beginning with organics becomes vital. That is what I have learned in this battle.

You are right to be paranoid if you live in NorCal. You CANNOT be too careful - especially if you have other growers in the area. Grow like you have them already and if you do get them anyway, they will be easier to control until you harvest.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

@CannaCrone that preferal product was created by my mentor in IPM, He's been working with that fungus for over a decade it's so awesome it's finally in a product because I have watched it eat almost every soft-bodied pest insect there is...it even gets spider mites but only at a specific stage in their life.

Russets are a bitch, I've beat them out of six or seven indoor grows but I can't imagine the havoc they wreak outside

The Humanure

The Humanure

Yes ken you can soil drench an spray your plant's as well! I shared this product with some close friends because I believe in it so much I already have enough sliver hair in my head lol but I feel everyone needs to know about it the conserve SC is a amazing products that isn't deadly like avid an will save your whole grow!

can you tell me how to soil drench what is the ratio? Also some are two weeks before harvest. Is Conserve SC safe to use very late? It evaporates in 48 hours with no residue yes?

I used 5 mil per gallon and PH to 5.7 for spray.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

You should post a picture of your crop @The Humanure. I am interested in what your battle looks like.

The Humanure

The Humanure

No tissue damage, no tricomb harvesting. No brown anything, no taco leaf. nothing moving on any leaf, stupid frosty styraphome looking buds from crystals. no crystals harvested from mites. In fact there no lizards, no birds, no ladybugs, no moths,

There a few groups of russets. I'm told its impossible to kill every one!

I did get leaf damage from the PH of the spray (Bigtime exterminator)
You have to spend a bit of time to actually find a living mite and often its not moving or its color is wrong.

Those are 7 and 10 lbs blue dreams and OG, Kush..

I did sustain some damage deep within the inside of a few plants the "Core" where you cant hit with spray and it gets no light. its 12 feet in the air so I missed some spots with the Conserve SC.

DSCF2880
DSCF2881
DSCF2882
The Humanure

The Humanure

so please tell me the soil drench for conserve SC and also the PH for spray and how late can I use in flower please and thanks!

ODFarminSSH

ODFarminSSH

I firmly believe the battle needs to be won early in veg. These creatures are here for the flowers. If your seeing negative effects on plants then an infestation has already set in. It is my opinion that the two chem, unholy, mitecides must be used for the initial infestation if one occurs. Only then can we try and run our sulfer, predatory mites, ogbiowar, and any new over counter "healthy" solutions. All these methods, imo, are preventative for infestation non will devastate a full outbreak. Also, keep in mind when destroying there population they will poison the sh@ out of your plants so although I've never tried I believe that aspirin idea prob on point.
So what can I tell my friends now so late in flower!!?? My close friend has some gsc, won't be done until end oct, it's pretty sad when I seen the pic...any suggestions for late flower OD, I'll be listening.Image
As for me I've never seen a single sign underscope or by eye since originally acquiring contaminated cuts, been my cleanest run to date all due to preventative measures...you can't wait for this demon to hitch a ride from neighbors garden on a fly or any other flying insect. My first post to this site will explain my methods a little clearer. I've heard these fkrs can even travel on seed so don't think that's a ticket out of horror show.
In the photo I'm not 100 it's just russets I'm gonna be taking detective trip with scope to understand wtf going on. I do know russets are there and they can cause all kinds of different problems depending on strain effected.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

To be honest, that doens't look like Russets to me. If it were the buds would start to brown out. Keep me informed, cause I have one plant doing something similar. I was thinking it was the root zone getting too wet, because the weather is cooling down.

ODFarminSSH

ODFarminSSH

To be honest, that doens't look like Russets to me. If it were the buds would start to brown out. Keep me informed, cause I have one plant doing something similar. I was thinking it was the root zone getting too wet, because the weather is cooling down.
I didn't think so at firs,t but when I think about it...infected plants get cut off from nutrient intake so this classic "deficiency" look kinda makes sense. He is also got classic dead hairs, buds not forming, etc... I've had strains that the leaves taco hairs brown and I've had strains that you wouldn't even think anything was wrong until you look at flower which was unable to mature properly and hairs also brown.
I'm also skeptical that is all he's dealing with but this is a seasoned farmer so I know I can count out over watering, not enough nutes, etc...
I wonder if, because of bugs, the lock up is causing plant to react negatively to nutes...there's a little bit of a look of over fert?
When these little vampires lock in no telling how plants will react.
Is this possibly more of a BM prob? I'm not as familiar with the damage they cause. I've pretty much learned to act as if one comes with the other. Both are equally devastating and resilient to most treatments.

ODFarminSSH

ODFarminSSH

That doesn't look like rust mites. If so the pistals will start to turn brown. Get you something to look at your plants. Has to be able b to see 100×. There is a product called Guardian mite spray. It can be used one week up until harvest. Yes, it is expensive but it will win the war and the battle. No, I am not associated with them by any means. Go to YouTube and look up Natttie G ( rust mites ) he had a full infestation and used said product and won. They also send free samples.
I gave him the recommendation...hope it works, I also mentioned he/I should throw them under 100x scope before going any further
Thank for the suggestion

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

That bud looks like some ancient og or some yeti. What's the strain?

G

GCUT

I dunked my plants in conserve on Monday and today they are still cruising. I didn't see 2 spotted on the label though.

Will conserve SC kill my bennies? Running many kilos of biowar dealing with russet mites. New to forums, we know some of the same peeps in so cal.

Top Bottom