Schwer's First Grow Evah! Planning, Prep and Grow

• Thread starter Schwer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
I was in the tent for a watering yesterday so I decided to so some Tetris-ing and tiedowns to make the most of my space, and to make it easier to water without moving the plants.

Tent118

I also spotted some of the first tricomes on one of the GDP's. Nothing to see with the naked eye but I did notice them in this close up pic. Good times.

Tent119

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

I was in the tent for a watering yesterday so I decided to so some Tetris-ing and tiedowns to make the most of my space, and to make it easier to water without moving the plants.

View attachment 1159356

I also spotted some of the first tricomes on one of the GDP's. Nothing to see with the naked eye but I did notice them in this close up pic. Good times.

View attachment 1159357
That’s going to be a jungle in there in a week or so! Looks awesome friend nice work as always.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
my brother was born with no iris at all, so just a giant pupil floating around. any light hurts him, but grow lights kill him!

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Day 61 - Nearly 3 weeks into flower

Today I did a watering and maybe the last big defoliation... we shall see.

Tent128

I tried to focus on removing most of the large fan leaves up top that were blocking bud sites, and clearing away many of the lower-center leaves that were blocking air flow.

Tent125

I didn't go so far as to lollypop my plants, but I did continue to thin out the bottoms to maintain airflow.

Tent127

While I was defoliating I noticed some leaves that looked like this one here. They were all very very low on their respective plants. There weren't all that many of them but it would sure be nice to keep it that way. I'll start looking into what that could be, though I suppose it might just be the RO water cal/mag thing finally catching up to me.

Tent129

And last but not least here's a fly over video :)

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Yes sir, could be that too. I've come this far doing what I'm doing so I won't go making any big changes at this point. Heh

Here's one more pic of the girls now that they've had an hour to perk back up and look their best.

Tent131

Lilolme

Lilolme

Yes sir, could be that too. I've come this far doing what I'm doing so I won't go making any big changes at this point. Heh

Here's one more pic of the girls now that they've had an hour to perk back up and look their best.

View attachment 1160256
You’ll be pluckin leaves here and there till the end, I like to leave a big one up top to grab a hold of makes a nice handle to move em around with.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Whats your temps runnin? Mine stay on the cooler side rarely above 75f and they’ve been makin sugar like crazy. Also is it possible you got a little nute solution on a few leaves?

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Whats your temps runnin? Mine stay on the cooler side rarely above 75f and they’ve been makin sugar like crazy. Also is it possible you got a little nute solution on a few leaves?

Damn, my tent temps have been between 80F and 84F during lights on and mid 70's at lights off. Leaf temps have been running a couple of degrees cooler than air temps, of course.

I've been using this little cheat sheet as a general guideline.

Notes

And yeah, its possible I got a little of that recharge solution on a leaf or two down low when I've been watering. Could be that, or maybe the natural decay you referred to, or something else entirely. It doesn't seem to be a big issue yet but I'll be sure to check the lower leaves again at the next watering to see if its progressing.

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Seeing as how the post-flip stretch has made a joke of my efforts to maintain an even canopy, I decided it was time to revisit how I've been using canopy height to set my light intensity. Also, I have some suspicions that I'm seeing the beginnings of light damage so there's that too.

When I had a relatively even canopy I tried to average light intensity across the top to match the number I was shooting for. So if I were aiming for an average of 600 μmol I would spot check around the canopy until I ended up with about 550 to 650 μmol depending on positioning in the tent. Given the crazy variations I'm seeing how that's not really doable anymore.

Today I was reading that any bud sites getting less than 500 μmol at this stage won't have much hope of developing beyond LARF. When I checked the lowest groups of sites in the light today they were getting around 650 μmol+. The tallest stems and the bud sites in the most intense light zones were getting between 1000 and 1100 μmol. I decided to leave the lights at they're current height but decrease light intensity by a few percentage points... 83% to 80% on the GC Master Controller. Now the lowest group of flowers are getting around 550 μmol and the really intense zones are closer to 900-1000. That leaves the vast majority still in the 700-800 μmol range.

Edit: The good news is that the stretch seems to be over I won't have to keep moving the lights.

Last edited:
Lilolme

Lilolme

I don’t think I have ever had a plan really, my usual thing is tyin everything down as low as possible without breakin em but I lost the window of opportunity for that tryin the net thing. Next time only 2 plants maybe even just one and let it get bigger in veg, workin in a crowd is a pain

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
I don’t think I have ever had a plan really, my usual thing is tyin everything down as low as possible without breakin em but I lost the window of opportunity for that tryin the net thing. Next time only 2 plants maybe even just one and let it get bigger in veg, workin in a crowd is a pain

Yes! I'm going with fewer plants for sure. I'm guessing 4 Sativas from seed (2 strains) in 5 gal fabric pots. I'm also going to rearrange my lung room to give me uninhibited access to the tent on three sides. Hell, I'll even go with some new training techniques as and might even try a scrog depending on the setup. It will be fun, but I have no idea when I will do it.

Here's a bonus pic of one of my GDP's. They're finally starting to look a little frosty to the naked eye. The BBK's... not so much yet, heh.

Tent133

Lilolme

Lilolme

Yes! I'm going with fewer plants for sure. I'm guessing 4 Sativas from seed (2 strains) in 5 gal fabric pots. I'm also going to rearrange my lung room to give me uninhibited access to the tent on three sides. Hell, I'll even go with some new training techniques as and might even try a scrog depending on the setup. It will be fun, but I have no idea when I will do it.

Here's a bonus pic of one of my GDP's. They're finally starting to look a little frosty to the naked eye. The BBK's... not so much yet, heh.

View attachment 1161154
A few brown hairs awful early watch the lights like a hawk I keep a tape measure and check mine every day and watch for the slightest sign of burn

FourPlants

FourPlants

I have been debating just trying to drive using DLI instead of ppfd. Same measurement but looking it in big picture fashion which is total light per day. I may be going about it wrong but to me it seems the complete picture (Well without spending more than I am willing to for a home grow lol)

I feel like I making some mistakes here and there though and still trying to find the sweet spot on everything but it's the first run so its all to be expected.

Your grow is looking good. I do get a little envious of being able to play with more than one stain easily. I feel I have to find balance between my phenotypes, would hate to have to find it on different strains. For my setup 1.2 I am pulling the res outside of tent just because it will run cooler and I can maintain it anytime of the day without even opening the tent. I am actually debating the setup after 1.2 will run two revivors so I can run two different banks of plants and experiment.

I think for run two I am going to run the same kosher kush and find the limit of pushing it.

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
A few brown hairs awful early watch the lights like a hawk I keep a tape measure and check mine every day and watch for the slightest sign of burn

Thanks. I didn't know the pistil turning early was a possible warning sign. Maybe tomorrow I will revise my light plan by raising the lights and then readjusting for the same PPFD, or even lower.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Thanks. I didn't know the pistil turning early was a possible warning sign. Maybe tomorrow I will revise my light plan by raising the lights and then readjusting for the same PPFD, or even lower.
I think its a timing thing, when they start to stretch get the lights a little closer the back em off when they quit. Its one of those things your learnin it almost has to happen so you can see what is to be avoided and learn how to handle it. Headin off things before they happen is the perfect cure for most issues

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
I have been debating just trying to drive using DLI instead of ppfd. Same measurement but looking it in big picture fashion which is total light per day. I may be going about it wrong but to me it seems the complete picture (Well without spending more than I am willing to for a home grow lol)

I feel like I making some mistakes here and there though and still trying to find the sweet spot on everything but it's the first run so its all to be expected.

Your grow is looking good. I do get a little envious of being able to play with more than one stain easily. I feel I have to find balance between my phenotypes, would hate to have to find it on different strains. For my setup 1.2 I am pulling the res outside of tent just because it will run cooler and I can maintain it anytime of the day without even opening the tent. I am actually debating the setup after 1.2 will run two revivors so I can run two different banks of plants and experiment.

I think for run two I am going to run the same kosher kush and find the limit of pushing it.

I just gave myself a crash course on the PPFD to DLI conversion (and vice versa). At the very least I learned more about what these measurements actually mean, which is always nice 😁.

I'm not sure how I'd use DLI to my benefit though, at least not in an indoor grow where my hours are set at 12/12 and the light is presumably the exact same every 24 hour cycle. Wouldn't PPFD and DLI essentially be interchangeable at that point? Not what they are measuring, of course, but in terms of how I'm using the data)? I could see DLI being far more beneficial for an outdoor grow where you're not getting the same PPFD every sec of light-on and light intensity varies significantly throughout the day. Either way this is interesting and you've got me thinking, thanks!

Yeah, the only reason I'm able to run these six plants this time around is that they're all risers of varying heights to make up for their significant growing differences. I imagine that wouldn't be as easy to do with a setup like yours either, heh. That's an awesome idea about the external res though. I look forward to seeing the new setup.

As for running the Kosher Kush again to push for better results... well, I see exactly what kind of grower you're shaping up to be, and its the kind I like to know! 😁👍

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Damn your journal makes me feel so inadequate 🤣
For real. Schwer is talking PPFD, DLI, stuff I've never heard of and I just dropped a fan on one of plants yesterday.

Schwer your journal is both inspiring and depressing for a first time grower like me lol

Top Bottom