Schwer's First Grow Evah! Planning, Prep and Grow

• Thread starter Schwer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
For real. Schwer is talking PPFD, DLI, stuff I've never heard of and I just dropped a fan on one of plants yesterday.

Schwer your journal is both inspiring and depressing for a first time grower like me lol

Well shit, the goal of the journal was to inspire confidence by including everything I did or learned about my grow to make it that much easier for anyone in a similar situation. I'm beginning to suspect I may not be the best communicator. 😅

Also, I dropped two of my plants when they were seedlings and also let a fan on drop on my plants at one point, so if I'm on the right track then you are too 😆

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

Well shit, the goal of the journal was to inspire confidence by including everything I did or learned about my grow to make it that much easier for anyone in a similar situation. I'm beginning to suspect I may not be the best communicator. 😅

Also, I dropped two of my plants when they were seedlings and also let a fan on drop on my plants at one point, so if I'm on the right track then you are too 😆
Yup par for the course, I mean I accidentally snipped off an entire branch with a cola completely off I tell you, while pruning. Call me Edward scissor hands.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Yup par for the course, I mean I accidentally snipped off an entire branch with a cola completely off I tell you, while pruning. Call me Edward scissor hands.
Thats one of the reasons I abandoned the snippers almost immediately and started just pinchin the leaves off with my thumbnail, another reason was bein able to do it one handed while leanin over the plants holdin on with the free hand

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

Thats one of the reasons I abandoned the snippers almost immediately and started just pinchin the leaves off with my thumbnail, another reason was bein able to do it one handed while leanin over the plants holdin on with the free hand
Yeah I was lollipopping so had to use the shears. Of course it was in the back of the tent where I couldn’t reach or see so well. Lesson learned next time take it slower. 🤓😬

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

One of my mental inventions is a lazy susan with built in drip pan and riser, built in lst tie down points so you can spin the plant and get to everything
I’ve seen people do that with a drip pan filled with golf balls. Hard to do though when scrogging. 🤪

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Do you ever open your tent and wonder if all that defoliating work was just a dream? 🤔

Tent134

Boring details of yesterday below!

Watering: Yesterday I watered the plants in the mid-morning and they were much dryer than I expected. The leaves weren't showing much droop but the soil was very hydrophobic again and I would have liked to have been four or five hours earlier. I'm going to start prepping my water ahead of time and checking them first thing in the morning (lights-on) every 48 hours for the time being. I'm still watering each 3 gal pot with 3 liters of RO plus .5 tsp/gal mag sulfate. I'm also still adding Recharge to about every 3rd watering @ .5 tsp/gal, but will stop adding that around week 4 of flower. Why? Come to think of it I have no idea why so I'm going to go educate myself, but for the moment I'm planning to do it because that's what other people say they do.

Training: While I was in the tent I did a few more gentle tie downs on the very tallest stems in my constant struggle to maintain a relatively even canopy. It worked out better than I expected once I started working on my lights. Speaking of...

Lights: I've suspected that I'm giving my plant a wee bit of light burn as a result of light intensity, light proximity or both. Yesterday I took some time to raise my lights and adjust intensity and I ended up with some ranges I'm happy with for the moment. Hopefully the plants are too. At this point the lowest sections of the canopy that aren't in shade are getting just over 500 umols and the very highest few towards the center are getting around 900. That's leaves the majority in the 700-800 range.

Temps and Humidity: Humidity has mostly been between 52% and 65% in the tent, with day temps near 82-84F at lights on and 10 degrees cooler at lights-off. I'm trying to keep things a little bit cooler during the day without dropping quite so low yet at night. I haven't automated that process so I just have to remember to up the lung room's A/C by a few degrees at night and drop it in the morning.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Do you ever open your tent and wonder if all that defoliating work was just a dream? 🤔

View attachment 1161829

Boring details of yesterday below!

Watering: Yesterday I watered the plants in the mid-morning and they were much dryer than I expected. The leaves weren't showing much droop but the soil was very hydrophobic again and I would have liked to have been four or five hours earlier. I'm going to start prepping my water ahead of time and checking them first thing in the morning (lights-on) every 48 hours for the time being. I'm still watering each 3 gal pot with 3 liters of RO plus .5 tsp/gal mag sulfate. I'm also still adding Recharge to about every 3rd watering @ .5 tsp/gal, but will stop adding that around week 4 of flower. Why? Come to think of it I have no idea why so I'm going to go educate myself, but for the moment I'm planning to do it because that's what other people say they do.

Training: While I was in the tent I did a few more gentle tie downs on the very tallest stems in my constant struggle to maintain a relatively even canopy. It worked out better than I expected once I started working on my lights. Speaking of...

Lights: I've suspected that I'm giving my plant a wee bit of light burn as a result of light intensity, light proximity or both. Yesterday I took some time to raise my lights and adjust intensity and I ended up with some ranges I'm happy with for the moment. Hopefully the plants are too. At this point the lowest sections of the canopy that aren't in shade are getting just over 500 umols and the very highest few towards the center are getting around 900. That's leaves the majority in the 700-800 range.

Temps and Humidity: Humidity has mostly been between 52% and 65% in the tent, with day temps near 82-84F at lights on and 10 degrees cooler at lights-off. I'm trying to keep things a little bit cooler during the day without dropping quite so low yet at night. I haven't automated that process so I just have to remember to up the lung room's A/C by a few degrees at night and drop it in the morning.
Told ya, I‘m ahead of you a few weeks and I still pluck off a handfull of leaves a day. I started to get a little cheapo dehumidifier but opted for a much larger one since I use the central ac to cool the room I can remove much more moisture faster, pretty much treat the whole house. I’m lookin at the timing and may move the ones outside to the current space when it’s available and finish them inside. Found a clutch of eggs on one of the outside girls
A4E8E511 CBE6 4CED 91E3 61172FE53195

clinch

clinch

very nice first grow! you have a dehumidifer in your lung room? not sure what your target humidity is. i know VPD charts recommend higher humidity and higher temps, but that shit always makes me nervous 😅 can't wait to see the harvest!

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Thanks @clinch . I did put a dehumidifier in the lung room.

VPD is one of those things I know is important but that I haven't been focused on dialing in for this grow. Now would probably be a good time to start focusing on stuff like that so I can stop relying on my little chart. heh.

clinch

clinch

Thanks @clinch . I did put a dehumidifier in the lung room.

VPD is one of those things I know is important but that I haven't been focused on dialing in for this grow. Now would probably be a good time to start focusing on stuff like that so I can stop relying on my little chart. heh.
yeah, i've seen people running into budrot trying to follow VPD charts due to the high humidity during flower. how have the LED's been during this summer heat? i'm definitely considering switching over to LED's after this summer of heat. my lung room's AC unit has to be at 65 degrees, with a 35pint dehumidifier, and multiple fans just to keep lights off temps around 68-70 degrees. Lights on is hard to maintain 75F. it's usually more like 76-77 but this is with 600 watt HPS air cooled hood.

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
The LED's have seemed okay for heat, but I don't have any other experience to compare them to.

I've been running my tent around 80F at the canopy for several weeks, and around 70F at light's out. My lung room is small so between the central air in the house (when I choose to use it), the window unit, the humidifier and the dehumidifier I feel like I have full control of the room day or night... at least for the Summer months. Keeping all of that stuff managed properly? Now that's a whole different story, lol.

Mothman

Mothman

The LED's have seemed okay for heat, but I don't have any other experience to compare them to.

I've been running my tent around 80F at the canopy for several weeks, and around 70F at light's out. My lung room is small so between the central air in the house (when I choose to use it), the window unit, the humidifier and the dehumidifier I feel like I have full control of the room day or night... at least for the Summer months. Keeping all of that stuff managed properly? Now that's a whole different story, lol.
Hey @Schwer, great info in your posts, and the photos are excellent! I have two questions: What's a lung room? And are you planning to have another grow over the winter months?

Latest posts

Top Bottom