Schwer's First Grow Evah! Planning, Prep and Grow

• Thread starter Schwer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
As I recall, you’ve always watered more frequently than what is commonly recommended. Did you use an unusually high ratio of perlite to soil? I know you’ve been aggressive with the lights at times and they likely have been thirsty girls due to that.

What are these horrible rumors about me overdoing it on light intensity and water? 😄

Honestly, I don't think I've ever overdone it on the water. For most of the grow I waited for all the signs before watering - very light pot, dry soil, certain % of low drooping leaves. If anything I think I have been slightly underwatering and waiting too long, so per some recommendations here I'm trying to water just a little sooner to hit the sweet spot.

Other reasons my soil might dry quickly are that I have two fans circulating air under the canopy, cloth pots, and everyone is on a riser with air moving under them as well. Temps in the mid to high 70's/mid to high 60s, humidity ~60%. Also keep in mind that my run takes twice as long to go through the water in the same size pot, so I'm pretty sure the plants are using it.

Oh, and I got those pot risers here. I'd actually like to get some more because that's the easiest way I've found to keep my canopy in the same ballpark.

Mothman

Mothman

What are these horrible rumors about me overdoing it on light intensity and water? 😄

Honestly, I don't think I've ever overdone it on the water. For most of the grow I waited for all the signs before watering - very light pot, dry soil, certain % of low drooping leaves. If anything I think I have been slightly underwatering and waiting too long, so per some recommendations here I'm trying to water just a little sooner to hit the sweet spot.

Other reasons my soil might dry quickly are that I have two fans circulating air under the canopy, cloth pots, and everyone is on a riser with air moving under them as well. Temps in the mid to high 70's/mid to high 60s, humidity ~60%. Also keep in mind that my run takes twice as long to go through the water in the same size pot, so I'm pretty sure the plants are using it.

Oh, and I got those pot risers here. I'd actually like to get some more because that's the easiest way I've found to keep my canopy in the same ballpark.

Makes complete sense. And thanks for the riser info. I was shopping for some locally yesterday but couldn’t find what I want. Gracias!

Mothman

Mothman

If only they came with caster wheels, they'd be perfect.
Lowe’s Garden Center actually does have some with 3 casters each, but too pricey and decorative. And they wouldn’t stack correctly.

I pulled the trigger on 7 this afternoon. Looks like Hydropros sells a buttload of ‘em. 🤙

Lilolme

Lilolme

Lowe’s Garden Center actually does have some with 3 casters each, but too pricey and decorative. And they wouldn’t stack correctly.

I pulled the trigger on 7 this afternoon. Looks like Hydropros sells a buttload of ‘em. 🤙
Lookin on Amazon some of these things were $15 or more

Mothman

Mothman

Yes, isn't that insane? A link to these pot risers should be a sticky....I mean not really but I really feel for anyone who paid that price.
You could park the link in your signature block as a public service!

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Day 79

Today marks the end of the 5th week since flip, and coincidently the beginning of the 6th week 🤔

It was just another watering today for everyone but the runt, and it will only be waterings... with water and decreasing amounts of mag sulfate... until harvest. The only other thing I did (because dammit I can't help but do something) is turn my largest Blackberry Kush about 180 degrees in an effort to get better light coverage and penetration throughout the entire plant. I also plucked about 15 leaves, but I wanted to pluck about 1000 so I thought I showed great restraint.

Tent174

Otherwise it feels like smooth sailing. I saw a few more gnats on the traps today but not many, and I didn't see a single gnat on top of the soil while I was watering but maybe that will come later😳.

Bud development seems pretty good. I know the BBK's aren't supposed to be big producers but most of them are keeping up with the GDP's. My GDP runt, Peggy (center front) and the BBK to her left seem be struggling to keep up compared to their strain counterparts. Peggy has produced a decent amount of bud for a runt but they're not nearly as frosty as the other GDP's. The BBK to her left is big and has produced a lot of small flowers, and they're also aren't as frosty as the other BBK's. I'm starting to understand the desire to start from clones over seeds. What a huge initial advantage.

Tent176

Tent177

I love this next pic because it shows some top flowers on three different plants with three very different colors in their leaves (just focus on the 3 biggest flowers).

Top right is the GDP in the center of my tent that I suspected was getting too much light near the beginning of flower. No one else seemed to mind.

The very dark green leaves below that belong to my runt, Peggy (center front). Despite receiving less at feedings I'm guessing she still has a lot more nutrients available to her in the soil than anyone else in the tent. She takes up water at half the rate so no surprise there.

The baby-green leaves to the left belong to the BBK I just turned180 degrees (left front in the tent). Its also bit closer to the camera than the other two so it might look deceptively large.

Tent175

I made a few purchases for the spare drying tent and I'll post some pics when I have that up and ready to roll. No hurry though as I think I have three weeks before I even need to think about harvesting.

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Day 79

Today marks the end of the 5th week since flip, and coincidently the beginning of the 6th week 🤔

It was just another watering today for everyone but the runt, and it will only be waterings... with water and decreasing amounts of mag sulfate... until harvest. The only other thing I did (because dammit I can't help but do something) is turn my largest Blackberry Kush about 180 degrees in an effort to get better light coverage and penetration throughout the entire plant. I also plucked about 15 leaves, but I wanted to pluck about 1000 so I thought I showed great restraint.

View attachment 1166467

Otherwise it feels like smooth sailing. I saw a few more gnats on the traps today but not many, and I didn't see a single gnat on top of the soil while I was watering but maybe that will come later😳.

Bud development seems pretty good. I know the BBK's aren't supposed to be big producers but most of them are keeping up with the GDP's. My GDP runt, Peggy (center front) and the BBK to her left seem be struggling to keep up compared to their strain counterparts. Peggy has produced a decent amount of bud for a runt but they're not nearly as frosty as the other GDP's. The BBK to her left is big and has produced a lot of small flowers, and they're also aren't as frosty as the other BBK's. I'm starting to understand the desire to start from clones over seeds. What a huge initial advantage.

View attachment 1166475

View attachment 1166476

I love this next pic because it shows some top flowers on three different plants with three very different colors in their leaves (just focus on the 3 biggest flowers).

Top right is the GDP in the center of my tent that I suspected was getting too much light near the beginning of flower. No one else seemed to mind.

The very dark green leaves below that belong to my runt, Peggy (center front). Despite receiving less at feedings I'm guessing she still has a lot more nutrients available to her in the soil than anyone else in the tent. She takes up water at half the rate so no surprise there.

The baby-green leaves to the left belong to the BBK I just turned180 degrees (left front in the tent). Its also bit closer to the camera than the other two so it might look deceptively large.

View attachment 1166474

I made a few purchases for the spare drying tent and I'll post some pics when I have that up and ready to roll. No hurry though as I think I have three weeks before I even need to think about harvesting.
It is amazing to see the progress. Going back to your earlier photos and now looking at these...simply awesome.

Everything looks great man! Getting close to the end!

Lilolme

Lilolme

Day 79

View attachment 1166467

View attachment 1166475

View attachment 1166476

View attachment 1166474

Lookin yummy!!

Mothman

Mothman

The very dark green leaves below that belong to my runt, Peggy
Peggy, except for her size, looks remarkably healthy. No brown tips, leaves look great. And I love that lime green at the top left.
Whatever man. You've already won grow of the year... the rest of us are just playing catchup. Thanks though!
But on a positive note, the rest of us have been able to bathe all summer. 😷

Mugwort

Mugwort

Yes, isn't that insane? A link to these pot risers should be a sticky....I mean not really but I really feel for anyone who paid that price.
Do you recall what they charged you for shipping these risers from HydroPro? Can’t find out until the credit card information is entered. Amazon prices are ridiculous!

Lilolme

Lilolme

Do you recall what they charged you for shipping these risers from HydroPro? Can’t find out until the credit card information is entered. Amazon prices are ridiculous!
I paid $11 for shipping, bought the total to about $25 for 6 risers, way cheaper still than Amazon

Latest posts

Top Bottom