Schwer's First Grow Evah! Planning, Prep and Grow

• Thread starter Schwer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lilolme

Lilolme

Day 79

Today marks the end of the 5th week since flip, and coincidently the beginning of the 6th week 🤔

It was just another watering today for everyone but the runt, and it will only be waterings... with water and decreasing amounts of mag sulfate... until harvest. The only other thing I did (because dammit I can't help but do something) is turn my largest Blackberry Kush about 180 degrees in an effort to get better light coverage and penetration throughout the entire plant. I also plucked about 15 leaves, but I wanted to pluck about 1000 so I thought I showed great restraint.

View attachment 1166467

Otherwise it feels like smooth sailing. I saw a few more gnats on the traps today but not many, and I didn't see a single gnat on top of the soil while I was watering but maybe that will come later😳.

Bud development seems pretty good. I know the BBK's aren't supposed to be big producers but most of them are keeping up with the GDP's. My GDP runt, Peggy (center front) and the BBK to her left seem be struggling to keep up compared to their strain counterparts. Peggy has produced a decent amount of bud for a runt but they're not nearly as frosty as the other GDP's. The BBK to her left is big and has produced a lot of small flowers, and they're also aren't as frosty as the other BBK's. I'm starting to understand the desire to start from clones over seeds. What a huge initial advantage.

View attachment 1166475

View attachment 1166476

I love this next pic because it shows some top flowers on three different plants with three very different colors in their leaves (just focus on the 3 biggest flowers).

Top right is the GDP in the center of my tent that I suspected was getting too much light near the beginning of flower. No one else seemed to mind.

The very dark green leaves below that belong to my runt, Peggy (center front). Despite receiving less at feedings I'm guessing she still has a lot more nutrients available to her in the soil than anyone else in the tent. She takes up water at half the rate so no surprise there.

The baby-green leaves to the left belong to the BBK I just turned180 degrees (left front in the tent). Its also bit closer to the camera than the other two so it might look deceptively large.

View attachment 1166474

I made a few purchases for the spare drying tent and I'll post some pics when I have that up and ready to roll. No hurry though as I think I have three weeks before I even need to think about harvesting.
The count for flower time begins when they start producing pistils not when you flip the lights. Your probly only at week 4 of actual flower stage, your only halfway there better rethink starvin em for nutes so soon you will sacrifice a lot of growth

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Oh I have no intension of starving them for nutes. I'm only backing off a degree on the mag sulfate because I'm seeing all the previous signs of deficiency disappearing even on the larger lower fan leaves where it has always been the most prevalent.

I have thought about brewing my own little bloom tea but I've been trying to error on the side of not adding things that weren't mentioned in the soil guide. At this point I've fed the soil, so if I keep it healthy I'm hoping all the little microbes will keep breaking shit down and feeding the plants. Bloom tea is still an emergency option though, lol 😅

Lilolme

Lilolme

Oh I have no intension of starving them for nutes. I'm only backing off a degree on the mag sulfate because I'm seeing all the previous signs of deficiency disappearing even on the larger lower fan leaves where it has always been the most prevalent.

I have thought about brewing my own little bloom tea but I've been trying to error on the side of not adding things that weren't mentioned in the soil guide. At this point I've fed the soil, so if I keep it healthy I'm hoping all the little microbes will keep breaking shit down and feeding the plants. Bloom tea is still an emergency option though, lol 😅
A bit late to do it but most organic growers use a tea with unsulfured blackstrap molasses to feed the microbes, matter of fact since you are on the true flower schedule now you could give a few doses read up on it I have an unopened gallon of the molasses if you need some

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
What is this soil guide you refer to ? :)
Nothing too exciting. Just the amendments guide for the soil I'm using.

Tent137

A bit late to do it but most organic growers use a tea with unsulfured blackstrap molasses to feed the microbes, matter of fact since you are on the true flower schedule now you could give a few doses read up on it I have an unopened gallon of the molasses if you need some

Yes sir, I've seen molasses used in a lot of tea making vids. There is actually some molasses included in the Recharge mix I'd been using.

Recharge label3 1024x10242x

Mothman

Mothman

I went to the local hardware store and stumbled onto a display of potting soils. They had the Stonington but when I saw the big bags of FFOF for $20 each I grabbed a few of those. Seeing what Stonington can do, I hope I made the right choice.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Looking very frosty.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Nice :) the thought striked me today that I would prefer smaller,denser more potent buds than big spongy stuff :) i guess its strain deciding

Lilolme

Lilolme

Haha it was bound to happen eventually, those pics were supposed to go on my thread! Sorry!

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Nice :) the thought striked me today that I would prefer smaller,denser more potent buds than big spongy stuff :) i guess its strain deciding

I think so regarding strain and size, though I believe Indica is more known for getting huge. I agree about smaller and more potent buds. My grows will be for me (80% anyway) so I don't need anything showy and I'd like to avoid rot as much as possible.

Haha it was bound to happen eventually, those pics were supposed to go on my thread! Sorry!

I knew that as soon as you posted them, but its a pleasure to have them visit my thread. Its a good thing I'm not competitive because they look glorious!

Besides, you can do no wrong here. You've helped too much. Feel free to get drunk and trash the place, or get stoned and raid my fridge.

Lilolme

Lilolme

I think so regarding strain and size, though I believe Indica is more known for getting huge. I agree about smaller and more potent buds. My grows will be for me (80% anyway) so I don't need anything showy and I'd like to avoid rot as much as possible.

I knew that as soon as you posted them, but its a pleasure to have them visit my thread. Its a good thing I'm not competitive because they look glorious!

Besides, you can do no wrong here. You've helped too much. Feel free to get drunk and trash the place, or get stoned and raid my fridge.
I don’t drink but I will check the fridge

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
5 and a half weeks since flip

Oof, my girls have definitely taken a small turn for the worse, at least in terms of what the leaves are telling me. It kind of looks like the pics I see of nutrient burn. I feel like I remember reading or hearing some reports of Fish Bone Meal top dress in the Stoneington's guide being a bit much in some cases... after the fact of course.

That's just speculation on my part, but you'll see in the third pic that burnt tips are present on most of the lower leaves as well as the top. The only other relatively recent change I made was halfing the mag sulfate I add to my RO... maybe I should go ahead and add that back in?

The issue is definitely worse on my smaller GDP's, but its present on the BBK's as well.
Tent184

Here's a BBK
Tent183

Here's that pic showing a bunch of lower leaves between two plants with the same burnt tips. The top leaves are not actually that brown... just the cam in this case.
Tent182

Oh well, just something to chase down and learn about, heh. 😅👍

Lilolme

Lilolme

Since it’s different strains they are gonna react differently to some things, now is when the ability to pour a lot of water through em would be in your favor, if theres any way you could pull that off I would recommend it, shop vac the water out of the pans if you have to

Lilolme

Lilolme

I thought a flush like that is pretty much the last thing I would ever want to do in a living soil grow?
As a life saving effort I do whatever I have to do to limit the damage, of course its your call but the second I saw a little nute reaction from an accidental miscalculation overdose I immediately took action to minimize the effects. Not after waiting a few days for it to get worse. Aint pot growin school a bitch?

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

R
I thought a flush like that is pretty much the last thing I would ever want to do in a living soil grow?
Remember take it slow and one remedy at a time. And as I have seen @Aqua Man suggest, lower your lights intensity a little to slow the issue down some until it get figured out. That being said I found both my plants get really photophobic and a bit more touchy as the flowering went on. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Top Bottom