Schwer's First Grow Evah! Planning, Prep and Grow

• Thread starter Schwer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lilolme

Lilolme

I had about a half ounce of sugar-leaf trim and larfy buds. I used 6 sticks of butter and a cup of water, let simmer for 3 hours. Strain and refrigerate overnight to separate the thc fat from the icky spinach water.
Gonna give your recipe a try, is a coffee filter sufficient? And I am assuming the product should be filtered while hot

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Yall need to know how happy and honored I am to have been able to help yall get past the usual noobie hiccups and get some real goodies into storage. Awesome

Thank you, sensei. Much appreciated. ❤️
Tent285

I had about a half ounce of sugar-leaf trim and larfy buds. I used 6 sticks of butter and a cup of water, let simmer for 3 hours. Strain and refrigerate overnight to separate the thc fat from the icky spinach water.

Wow, that is probably the lowest ratio in a recipe I have seen. What are planning to make out of your butter just out of curiosity?

Gonna give your recipe a try, is a coffee filter sufficient? And I am assuming the product should be filtered while hot

Cheese cloth works great too as long as you don't squeeze.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Thank you, sensei. Much appreciated. ❤️
View attachment 1185116

Wow, that is probably the lowest ratio in a recipe I have seen. What are planning to make out of your butter just out of curiosity?

Cheese cloth works great too as long as you don't squeeze.
I think I have one of those in stock, salted or unsalted butter? I was thinkin about tryin cupcake pans with liners, reheatin the product after separating the “spinach water” and puttin measured amounts into the cupcake liners, eg. 1/2 stick melted butter is 59 ml which just happens to be the capacity of the feeding syringes I use for such things

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
I haven't used butter before but I've done this a bunch of times with coconut oil in both a slow cooker and in the oven. I doubt the type of butter matters much for the extraction, but it might for whatever you're cooking.

Typically, if I'm going to make edibles I prefer prepping a smaller amount of potent oil and adjusting the amount I use for each of whatever edible I'm making to fit the desired effect. You can always add more regular oil or butter to whatever recipe you're using with the added benefit of it tasting way better than the cannabis version. I go with something closer to a 1:1 ratio by volume. I put the decarbed herb in the bottom of whatever small pan I'm using and then add some melted coconut butter until its just covered. For a half ounce of flower I don't think I've ever used more than a cup of coconut oil, and usually less.

One of my go-to recipes was to combine the finished oil with cocoa powder, peanut butter, and either some honey or maple syrup. I'd pour that out into some silicone mini-cupcake or candy trays and toss them in the freezer. Then I'd have my own little cannabis chocolate peanut butter cups! You have to keep them cold but they last longer than baked goods and my buddies seemed to like them.

This is all after decarbing of course... don't skip that step as that's what allows the THC to bind with the fats in the oil/butter.

Edit: Also, if the prepared oil doesn't come out with an overpowering herb taste I like to save some to put in a hot cup of coffee or tea :)

Lilolme

Lilolme

Here's some that I made once with some coconut...

View attachment 1185147
Hmm I also have coconut oil in stock, need to read up on the decarb thing

edit… ok so I have done my utube educational update and as usual in the wide world of weed there are many different methods. Not so oddly enough I already have all kinds of pyrex lab doodads, thermometers, hot plate, screens, cheesecloth, coconut oil, scsles, weed, wonder how much longer I’ll put it off

Last edited:
Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
I know I've seen some people decarb inside a sealed mason jar using a pressure cooker. Just so happens I picked one up recently so maybe I'll give that a try this time around. Hell, then I could just pour coconut oil into the same mason jar of decarbed trim and use the pressure cooker to make the cannabis oil too. This might also prevent the house from getting incredibly stinky like usual.

Lilolme

Lilolme

I know I've seen some people decarb inside a sealed mason jar using a pressure cooker. Just so happens I picked one up recently so maybe I'll give that a try this time around. Hell, then I could just pour coconut oil into the same mason jar of decarbed trim and use the pressure cooker to make the cannabis oil too. This might also prevent the house from getting incredibly stinky like usual.
From what I saw you don’t wanna exceed 250f, I saw several methods one of which was decarbin right in the oil on a hot plate maintaining 250 till bubbles stop forming, was supposed to be the most thourough method as you know decarbing is complete when the bubbles stop. I don’t care bout stinkin up the house thats why I have 2

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

From what I saw you don’t wanna exceed 250f, I saw several methods one of which was decarbin right in the oil on a hot plate maintaining 250 till bubbles stop forming, was supposed to be the most thourough method as you know decarbing is complete when the bubbles stop. I don’t care bout stinkin up the house thats why I have 2

I put water in with my weed and butter in the crock pot to use as an indicator and protection kinda. As long as there is some water in there with the fat, it'll never go over 220 f, because above that, you start to lose a lot of terpenes to evaporation. The thc-a in raw bud needs to sit around that 200 f area for a bit to break the -A molecule off and become psychoactive and mix with the other oils.

After refrigerating, you can use your thc ghee 1:1 in recipes in place of regular stick of butter. There is no use for the separated water portion. In place of butter you can use vegetable oil, coconut oil, hemp oil, whatever you got that's edible.

Lilolme

Lilolme

I put water in with my weed and butter in the crock pot to use as an indicator and protection kinda. As long as there is some water in there with the fat, it'll never go over 220 f, because above that, you start to lose a lot of terpenes to evaporation. The thc-a in raw bud needs to sit around that 200 f area for a bit to break the -A molecule off and become psychoactive and mix with the other oils.

After refrigerating, you can use your thc ghee 1:1 in recipes in place of regular stick of butter. There is no use for the separated water portion. In place of butter you can use vegetable oil, coconut oil, hemp oil, whatever you got that's edible.
Thanks for the tips, this is a new “thing” for me so of course I’m gonna have to ocd over it for a while before I get to cookin

Casimpi

Casimpi

Have any of yall ever messed with a sous vide. That is the way to go for extracting weed in to oils. You can set the temperature to the .01 of a degree and it will hold it there for as long as you want. So just throw your plant material in a vacuum seal or zip lock bag with your butter, coconut oil, etc. and just set it and forget it.

That is what I will probably be doing with my entire crop as it does not look worth while to bother trimming or smoking it.

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Decarb complete... supposedly.

This is after 40 min on the high setting.
20211106 121147

And now goopified with a cup and a quarter of coconut oil and a teaspoon of sunflower lecithin. I usually grind my flowers first, but since this was already trim I decided to leave it whole. Hopefully that will also help to improve the taste of the final product.

20211106 121751

20211106 121908

Back in the pressure cooker on high for a bit, probably 20 min with a long natural release. I may or may not give it a stir and repeat.

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Here's what I ended up doing for this batch: 20 min on high with 20 min slow release, pulled out the jar and gave it a really good (but not violent) mix, 10 more min oh high with a 40 min slow release, drain into final jar.

There is a pretty tight mesh on this cheesecloth so I used a single layer and a rubberband for the filter. (Is it just me or does that oily trim still look kinda frosty?)
20211106 142323

It's still dripping a bit so I think I'll just let it.

20211106 142410

I'll let you know how it turns out; maybe I'll put some in a hot cup of herbal tea this afternoon. The good news is that I had enough trim on hand to give this a try and can repeat the experiment many times if need be 😀

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
The jar lid is the lid I spoke of, did it create a vacuum seal on the jar

Just a little bit, but it was still very easy to open.

I had about a teaspoon in my tea a little over an hour ago and I'm feeling pretty good. 🥴 I also "licked the bowl" so-to-speak so take that into consideration, lol.

I don't know about you guys, but I always describe the edible high as less intense than smoking/vaping, but also much more even, "warmer", and longer lasting. So nice. I can't say much more for my extraction other than that it was at least partially successful. Tomorrow morning I'll try a fresh and more exact dosing and go from there.

Top Bottom