Schwer's First Grow Evah! Planning, Prep and Grow

• Thread starter Schwer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lilolme

Lilolme

See, I've been so influenced by Mr. Cannuk's Grow and his seductive video editing. He dries for like 10-14 days.
Stay on top of it, I over dried my first batch tryin to copy the hangin times and such I had read about so I got to learn about the orange peel trick to rehydrate, which works but is not recommended as even that can be screwed up it only takes a couple of hours, sorry I worry

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Stay on top of it, I over dried my first batch tryin to copy the hangin times and such I had read about so I got to learn about the orange peel trick to rehydrate, which works but is not recommended as even that can be screwed up it only takes a couple of hours, sorry I worry

Don't worry, I worry too... 🤔

I promise I won't let anything hang just for the sake of hanging. From what I've been gathering from the Great and Powerful Internet, the general idea behind the slower dry is to get rid of more chlorophyll and better preserve terpenes, which once lost due to over drying are permanently lost. But when they're done they're done and I'll yank them. I think that will be sooner rather than later given my current setup and its limitations.

I worry a bit about maintaining humidity in the lung room at 60-62% while I still have four plants in the grow tent. I might add a second passive intake to the grow tent (pantyhose filter) to decrease flow through the dry tent. Then I can increase the exhaust fan speed as needed without worrying too much about air exchange through the dry tent.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Don't worry, I worry too... 🤔

I promise I won't let anything hang just for the sake of hanging. From what I've been gathering from the Great and Powerful Internet, the general idea behind the slower dry is to get rid of more chlorophyll and better preserve terpenes, which once lost due to over drying are permanently lost. But when they're done they're done and I'll yank them. I think that will be sooner rather than later given my current setup and its limitations.

I worry a bit about maintaining humidity in the lung room at 60-62% while I still have four plants in the grow tent. I might add a second passive intake to the grow tent (pantyhose filter) to decrease flow through the dry tent. Then I can increase the exhaust fan speed as needed without worrying too much about air exchange through the dry tent.
I’m at day 8 since the chop and hang, I expect another week or so of havin to actively work with the goodies then they can spend a lot more time in the jars with an occasional burp, maybe a dump and air out if necessary. I don’t have a rh meter and the only control I’m implementing as far as rh is turnin on the heat in the mornin when it’s usually 100% rh cause I live in the clouds

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
I don’t have a rh meter

That is a terrifying statement to me; that's how much I rely on gadgets and numbers 😥

cause I live in the clouds

Oh I already assumed that...

Tent270

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Good times! 🌈

I chopped down BBK2 and GDP2 after 48 of darkness and some change. I was considering chopping both plants at the base and hanging them whole, but the GPD (right) was a little too dense in the middle for me to feel comfortable going that route. I ended up splitting each plant into three section instead.

Tent273

I trimmed each third right there in the pot removing only the big fan leaves, little crispy dead leaves and leaves from the densest groupings of buds. After removing each third I turned them upside down and trimmed everything I missed - its was much easier to notice and remove once I had each section upside down and in my hands.

Tent272

They're pretty close together on the hangers but everything has at least a little room to breath - no big buds bunched together or anything. I also got a little careless with the sheers. Oh well, that's a mistake I can eventually make some use of.

Tent271

I'll be spending the rest of the day, tonight, and probably the next week managing the humidity in the room and both tents. I had to bring one of the huge fans my wife uses in her workout room into the lung room to improve room circulation (I know you guys are wondering when she's going to leave me) and that's helped a lot so far. I also moved the AC Infinity temp and humidity sensor into the dry tent so I don't have to keep opening the window flap to check the numbers.

I'll be letting you know how it goes!

Lilolme

Lilolme

Good times! 🌈

I chopped down BBK2 and GDP2 after 48 of darkness and some change. I was considering chopping both plants at the base and hanging them whole, but the GPD (right) was a little too dense in the middle for me to feel comfortable going that route. I ended up splitting each plant into three section instead.

View attachment 1179389

I trimmed each third right there in the pot removing only the big fan leaves, little crispy dead leaves and leaves from the densest groupings of buds. After removing each third I turned them upside down and trimmed everything I missed - its was much easier to notice and remove once I had each section upside down and in my hands.

View attachment 1179390

They're pretty close together on the hangers but everything has at least a little room to breath - no big buds bunched together or anything. I also got a little careless with the sheers. Oh well, that's a mistake I can eventually make some use of.

View attachment 1179391

I'll be spending the rest of the day, tonight, and probably the next week managing the humidity in the room and both tents. I had to bring one of the huge fans my wife uses in her workout room into the lung room to improve room circulation (I know you guys are wondering when she's going to leave me) and that's helped a lot so far. I also moved the AC Infinity temp and humidity sensor into the dry tent so I don't have to keep opening the window flap to check the numbers.

I'll be letting you know how it goes!
So you doin ok? I know its tough but it was for the best they didn’t have much life left in em. The sufferin from light meters, charts and miscalculated calenders is over, they are in a better place. If you need to talk to somebody you probly shouldn’t have run your wife off

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
So you doin ok? I know its tough but it was for the best they didn’t have much life left in em. The sufferin from light meters, charts and miscalculated calenders is over, they are in a better place. If you need to talk to somebody you probly shouldn’t have run your wife off

Bwahaha! 🤣 She's not home yet and doesn't know I "borrowed" the fan. I'm hoping she doesn't workout for a couple of weeks but that's not bloody likely. She's one of those fit-fiends.

And man, that first cut was more traumatic than I thought, but only because I butchered it so badly. I used the wrong sheers and it was a real hack job getting through it. It was like finally having to butcher a beloved pet cow but having the cut go horribly wrong. Thank god my plants aren't cows, but I'm glad they're equally as delicious.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Bwahaha! 🤣 She's not home yet and doesn't know I "borrowed" the fan. I'm hoping she doesn't workout for a couple of weeks but that's not bloody likely. She's one of those fit-fiends.

And man, that first cut was more traumatic than I thought, but only because I butchered it so badly. I used the wrong sheers and it was a real hack job getting through it. It was like finally having to butcher a beloved pet cow but having the cut go horribly wrong. Thank god my plants aren't cows, but I'm glad they're equally as delicious.
Yep, like havin an old friend for dinner

Mothman

Mothman

I'm going to drop the lung room temps from mid-high 60's to low-mid 60's and increase RH from 40-45% to ~60%. I'll have one fan in the dry tent on low, blowing along the back wall to maintain some airflow without directly blowing on the drying branches.

Dude, I’ve been thinking for a while now that you show all the hallmarks of being a project manager. Fess up!

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Nope, I work with people with severe mental illness, which probably explains why I'm so comfortable around you guys. 😁
That is a very hard line of work i imagine. In my country health is run on minimum Staff and a lot of people quit because its like...you gotta do it out of love of the work. Because the pay is not cutting it. (63 812 usd a year as nurse)

This is median pay in my country. I am well below it :D

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

You might mentioned it somewhere but what do you want to achieve with higher humidity? I thought it was best to keep it 40-50 or even 30. As high humidity would slow root uptake?

Am i missing something

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
That is a very hard line of work i imagine. In my country health is run on minimum Staff and a lot of people quit because its like...you gotta do it out of love of the work.

Yup, pretty much the same deal. I found my interest in mental health in grad school and knew that was going to be my preferred focus. There is money to be made in this particular field but not where I prefer to do my work. But hey, that seems like a fair tradeoff to me given the number of people I know who spend a 1/3 of their day at a job they hate and then another 1/3 bitching about it. I don't want to be that person. I don't want anyone to be that person. 😞

You might mentioned it somewhere but what do you want to achieve with higher humidity? I thought it was best to keep it 40-50 or even 30. As high humidity would slow root uptake?

Am i missing something

For the last several weeks I have been keeping the humidity in the 40-50% range. I didn't know about the root uptake bit though; I was just doing it to avoid mold and rot in the larger buds and to address that watery disaster.

I was upping the humidity yesterday for sake of the plants I chopped so that I don't dry them too quickly, but I'm trying to balance that with what I still have in the grow tent. For the moment I think I've settled on low 50's.

I wish I could just use another room, another tent, another A/C, dehumidifier, etc, but while I'm sure the game of "How-far-can-Schwer-push-his-wife?" may be fun for you guys, for me it has potential consequences.

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

No no, I usually have them running at 110 F minimum. That's how you pre-dry them right? @GalaxysEdge said so.

Edit... and you weren't even talking to me. My bad, but damned if that comment didn't have me sweating for a sec and checking my temps. 😅
YOU DRY IT BY PUTTING FIRE ON IT AND TURNING IT INTO SMOKE.

God....I'm dealing with noobs here.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Yup, pretty much the same deal. I found my interest in mental health in grad school and knew that was going to be my preferred focus. There is money to be made in this particular field but not where I prefer to do my work. But hey, that seems like a fair tradeoff to me given the number of people I know who spend a 1/3 of their day at a job they hate and then another 1/3 bitching about it. I don't want to be that person. I don't want anyone to be that person. 😞

For the last several weeks I have been keeping the humidity in the 40-50% range. I didn't know about the root uptake bit though; I was just doing it to avoid mold and rot in the larger buds and to address that watery disaster.

I was upping the humidity yesterday for sake of the plants I chopped so that I don't dry them too quickly, but I'm trying to balance that with what I still have in the grow tent. For the moment I think I've settled on low 50's.

I wish I could just use another room, another tent, another A/C, dehumidifier, etc, but while I'm sure the game of "How-far-can-Schwer-push-his-wife?" may be fun for you guys, for me it has potential consequences.
Although I do keep my genious cleverly disguised I thought I made this gem fairly obvious, 2 HOUSES!

Lilolme

Lilolme

I know, overkill? Got the job done fast and in a hurry. No pics or video yall are frazzled enough at this point without havin to watch me murderously go at my girls with such a device. Just a suggestion for your next killin spree
E57FC31C 2AB6 4CA0 9ECF 6263C1D0B937

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
I know, overkill? Got the job done fast and in a hurry. No pics or video yall are frazzled enough at this point without havin to watch me murderously go at my girls with such a device. Just a suggestion for your next killin spree

Damn... I bet that definitely does the job. You could also probably use it to fight off larger tent pests like bears and humans.

I may not get that monster but I'll grab something better than what what I have in the next couple of days. I was in the tent again today looking at trichomes and flowers and they're looking ready pretty damn ready to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom