SCROG OUT OF CONTROL ... What did I do wrong... and how do I fix it?

• Thread starter SnappyJack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SnappyJack

SnappyJack

"I have, in this post, several times hahaha"
I never read where you had actually said " when I had Nitrogen toxicity" I saw no details... just a lot of possible reasons

" I still think your colas are way too hot, was it like something in the range of 30-40ºC?"

Okay... so you've isolated this either to nitrogen or hot colas... In metric the temperature were ranging from
17.7 t0 20.5 C Celsius.... See here in F

In any case.. I'm not overly concerned.. it's only in 6 cola / ends... out of a hundred... the only thing I'm focusing on now is seeing how much I can push into them.. without making a train wreck.. that's the fun it this grow.

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

1ST SCROG DIARY : UPDATE ..... CATCHING UP WITH THE DETAILS...
(PREVIOUSLY KNOW AS : SCROG OUT OF CONTROL....)

This scrog grow originated somewhat on the fly.. I'm guessing like most .. I've started this grow with some thought.. some basic planning.. minimal equipment and away I went...

It doesn't take too long when you sit back and think a little what the next thing that has to be done / prepared..

And it didn't take long... after the 1st week of using a tent and realizing your growing in a freaking aquarium... well almost... It has it's own climate .. every time you open the door the humidity and temperature chances.. every time you water.. when the lights come on and when they go off... light intensity changes.. every time the plant takes a breath... trying to balance all of that.... looks like an constant earthquake on VPD graph.

I knew the room I'm growing in.. ( I think most call it a lung room ) come summer has an average humidity of close to 70%.. not good for perfect VPD.. insect control.. and mold / fungus.. Right now it's been averaging 50%... that will change shortly...

Putting a humidifier.. a dehumidifier.. a heater... cooler (?) in a tent.. didn't make much sense.. their is another way.

I'd like to say even though I've just learned about VPD the beginning of the year.. in short order I started to equate it with having the perfect fertilizer balance.. or the perfect root grow medium... Their you go.. THE HOLY TRINITY: ... perfect fertilizer.... perfect medium.. ..perfect VPD

So to stay on top of everything...the following needed to be done:

FAB0
FAB2

Portable air conditioner .... Exterior air intake
FAB1

Hose connector design

FAB4

3D print... will take about 6 hours....
These parts I'm fabricating will make up the hose connector for the intake of the unit... it has a hose exhaust (for hot / humid air) .. but the intake sucks air from the room it's in.. which is actually sucking outside air into the house..

So I needed to make a adapter for the 6 inch hose... can't complain picked the air conditioner up for 5$ at an Ollie's...

More stuff.. next time..

Eledin

Eledin

"I have, in this post, several times hahaha"
I never read where you had actually said " when I had Nitrogen toxicity" I saw no details... just a lot of possible reasons

" I still think your colas are way too hot, was it like something in the range of 30-40ºC?"

Okay... so you've isolated this either to nitrogen or hot colas... In metric the temperature were ranging from
17.7 t0 20.5 C Celsius.... See here in F

In any case.. I'm not overly concerned.. it's only in 6 cola / ends... out of a hundred... the only thing I'm focusing on now is seeing how much I can push into them.. without making a train wreck.. that's the fun it this grow.
I did mention it to you in private messages:

Eledin

Apr 4, 2024
"Ive dealt with nitrogen toxicity in the past, as someone who tries to push the plants to the limit thats bound to happen sometimes."

Thats in our private messages but as I said, I dont expect you to remember everything I said its okay.
No, I dont have it isolated, but the only way to know is to keep asking questions. Are your colas are at 17,7 to 20,5ºC or your tent? If its the colas then okay, my tent is at 20ºC but the thermohygrometer with probe, which probe is near the colas, shows 25ºC, sometimes even 30ºC, I have to open the tent and turn on all the fans, but thats what theyre there for anyway. As you said, for now is gone anyway, but it would be nice to know what caused it so you can avoid it to happen again. Did you check all the points I made in the post that you created? All parameters okay? You had a ppfd meter and you meassured how many ppfd the colas are getting if Im not wrong right? I cant remember everything either, but because my memory is pretty bad...

Last edited:
PooToe

PooToe

1ST SCROG DIARY : UPDATE ..... CATCHING UP WITH THE DETAILS...
(PREVIOUSLY KNOW AS : SCROG OUT OF CONTROL....)

This scrog grow originated somewhat on the fly.. I'm guessing like most .. I've started this grow with some thought.. some basic planning.. minimal equipment and away I went...

It doesn't take too long when you sit back and think a little what the next thing that has to be done / prepared..

And it didn't take long... after the 1st week of using a tent and realizing your growing in a freaking aquarium... well almost... It has it's own climate .. every time you open the door the humidity and temperature chances.. every time you water.. when the lights come on and when they go off... light intensity changes.. every time the plant takes a breath... trying to balance all of that.... looks like an constant earthquake on VPD graph.

I knew the room I'm growing in.. ( I think most call it a lung room ) come summer has an average humidity of close to 70%.. not good for perfect VPD.. insect control.. and mold / fungus.. Right now it's been averaging 50%... that will change shortly...

Putting a humidifier.. a dehumidifier.. a heater... cooler (?) in a tent.. didn't make much sense.. their is another way.

I'd like to say even though I've just learned about VPD the beginning of the year.. in short order I started to equate it with having the perfect fertilizer balance.. or the perfect root grow medium... Their you go.. THE HOLY TRINITY: ... perfect fertilizer.... perfect medium.. ..perfect VPD

So to stay on top of everything...the following needed to be done:

View attachment 2148131View attachment 2148130
Portable air conditioner .... Exterior air intake
View attachment 2148133
Hose connector design

View attachment 2148132
3D print... will take about 6 hours....
These parts I'm fabricating will make up the hose connector for the intake of the unit... it has a hose exhaust (for hot / humid air) .. but the intake sucks air from the room it's in.. which is actually sucking outside air into the house..

So I needed to make a adapter for the 6 inch hose... can't complain picked the air conditioner up for 5$ at an Ollie's...

More stuff.. next time..

Love me some 3D stuff but you can buy those already made.

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Shitfoot... a general option.. unfortunately: cheap: crack easy.. bad fit... otherwise.. just wanted them in black.

Eledin... thanks for asking... everything looks good... temps same as few weeks ago

prankster1590... very interesting... probably a great method... unfortunately I get a headache just looking at it.

Eledin

Eledin

You guys never do it right. Just binding random branches in ropes. This is the way (from the westcoast masters)View attachment 2149463:
You guys are tiring with the "that is not a SCROG" thing... as long as youre creating new main buds and filling space more or less at the same height by bending main and secondary branches horizontally below the net youre doing a SCROG. Your method is not the most productive either and its funny cause according to a guy before you, what youre showing is also not a SCROG (which it is, just with less techniques). I used to do LST prior to toping and after toping with my SCROGs when I had a better set up. Now I just top, pass branches through the net and lollipop everything that didnt get to the net or is not gonna give decent buds (pinching out shitty bud sites and cuting thin stems even if they made it to the net). Am I getting the same ammount? No. Do I care? No, its way less effort and I have plenty for myself and to give some to family and friends. He grows for himself too, I bet he is gonna have plenty until the next harvest so if he wants to keep doing it this way thats totally fine.

Last edited:
SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Pointed out on on the first page of this thread... their are many ways to enjoy / growing a scrog...
its starts with a net... and can go anyway your hearts and mind takes it...
My pick for what scrog I wanted to grow got it's inspiration from images similar to below:

How orgasmic is that?

Eledin:.... Relax... "keep doing it this way thats totally fine"... because:

I'm totally enjoying the way this grow is going.. and especially the work / pleasure I put into it...
it is like having sex.. smelling.. twisting & bending.. foundling...
watching for their / her reaction.. yeah... some people won't see it that way...
they just can't.. their the unlucky quick finishers.

Take some time to smell the roses... better yet.. the cannabis

(my journey is the grow.. the destination is always the same... done)

Mikedin... thanks for stopping in... I can see you take your growing seriously.. nice setup...

Fromunda506 ... their is an error in your equation.. line 20.. just a bit to right of center....

( excuse the large print... eyes not what they use to be)

P

prankster1590

You guys are tiring with the "that is not a SCROG" thing... as long as youre creating new main buds and filling space more or less at the same height by bending main and secondary branches horizontally below the net youre doing a SCROG. Your method is not the most productive either and its funny cause according to a guy before you, what youre showing is also not a SCROG (which it is, just with less techniques). I used to do LST prior to toping and after toping with my SCROGs when I had a better set up. Now I just top, pass branches through the net and lollipop everything that didnt get to the net or is not gonna give decent buds (pinching out shitty bud sites and cuting thin stems even if they made it to the net). Am I getting the same ammount? No. Do I care? No, its way less effort and I have plenty for myself and to give some to family and friends. He grows for himself too, I bet he is gonna have plenty until the next harvest so if he wants to keep doing it this way thats totally fine.

It's definately a SCROG. It's from the inventors of SCROG. Dru West and the Westcoast Masters. Very productive. You get the same yields since thats genetics. More branches just means more smaller buds. The idea of a SCROG is to create a canopy so that all leaves and tips get the same amount of light.

Optimal light 0e6aba53 4c6e 4b54 bde1 f17d4fe118df
Growing big in oregon

Last edited:
Fromunda506

Fromunda506

Pointed out on on the first page of this thread... their are many ways to enjoy / growing a scrog...
its starts with a net... and can go anyway your hearts and mind takes it...
My pick for what scrog I wanted to grow got it's inspiration from images similar to below:

View attachment 2150112
How orgasmic is that?

Eledin:.... Relax... "keep doing it this way thats totally fine"... because:

I'm totally enjoying the way this grow is going.. and especially the work / pleasure I put into it...
it is like having sex.. smelling.. twisting & bending.. foundling...
watching for their / her reaction.. yeah... some people won't see it that way...
they just can't.. their the unlucky quick finishers.

Take some time to smell the roses... better yet.. the cannabis

(my journey is the grow.. the destination is always the same... done)

Mikedin... thanks for stopping in... I can see you take your growing seriously.. nice setup...

Fromunda506 ... their is an error in your equation.. line 20.. just a bit to right of center....

( excuse the large print... eyes not what they use to be)
Was hoping nobody noticed…

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

1ST SCROG DIARY : UPDATE ..... Air Conditioning / Humidity Control / Odor Control
(Previously known as : SCROG OUT OF CONTROL....)

Well in my spare time I've managed to put the components together for controlling humidity in my lung room and by an accident of realization.. how to control the fragrance / odor of cannabis from smelling up the house (kind of).

In

Also want to make note that portable air conditioners can be purchased with intake and exhaust ducts already built in.. for a few extra bucks... just that the one I'm using.. I got basically for free.. (oh yeah.. I did buy a 6" charcoal filter with built in fan for my 1st grow... It worked great for the 1st couple days... until I realized... I kind of missed the smell of cannabis wafting through the house.. since I had the house at that time all to my own... I unplugged it..)

Out

My original thought was to suck outside air in thru the conditioner then exhaust back to the outside this was to eliminate a negative pressure in the room which translate in reality to the whole house (for those growing inside their homes) which is a good operational idea... and one that I most likely use most of the time... as I don't want to be sucking outside heat and humidity into the house from every crack in it.

Inout

However when putting the pieces together I realized that the conditioner original operation takes air in from the room and exhausts it outside... then it hit me... Dang.. their is the odor control.. to keep the cannabis fragrance from permeating the whole house...I can just disconnect the intake house (the one that suck air into the unit) and let it suck the air in the lung room and shoot it outside thru the exhaust hose... this however will start sucking house air into the lung room which is in reality sucking outside air into the house.. you just have to chose the lesser of two evils...

My Scrog grow continues to go well.. with I'm guessing about 5 weeks of flower to go...

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

1ST SCROG DIARY : UPDATE ..... LOOSE LEAVES..YELLOW LEAVES.. BROWN SPOTS... OHHH NO!

6 weeks into flower... this is when I notice (us) 1st time growers start to get the hebejebees... our 1st really scare... the leaves are changing color.. their getting spots.. some are falling of.. if we hadn't before... we definitely begin to start our 1st time membership to 1st cannabis forum we come across....

On on this my 2nd grow... it gets easier.. but you still have concerns.. probably your always will as long as you grow... when that 1st anomaly shows up... the thing your not use to seeing. and have no idea in hell what it is.

Past week I've been loosing lower leaves... the ones below the screen.. some leaves above the screen have started to grow yellow and getting brown spots... just like their mother.. Just this week leaves just on top of the screen.. are starting to yellow..3-4 so far... leaves usually turn yellow then brown spots appear.. below the screen averaging 3-6 loose or yellowing leaves each day... just like their mother.. so..one learns... one gets use to this.

This grow was no worries until the other day I noticed something different.. little brown spots on leaves still green.. what were they?.. what is causing this?

Get a good look at them here on this thread: brown spots link
For more on treating brown spots and other leaf issues ... appearances... etc.:

You bet their is ton (not really just feels that way) of reasons for what this could mean.. just like the 1st grow I started to get concerned... so I posted the above thread.. wanted to see if someone might have answers that I haven't though of.

I'm thinking back.. yes I use to notice brown spots on all the girls... little tiny ones.. I didn't pay much attention to them before...I was more concerned with the yellowing leaves...

This grow was starting to look so sooo good.. I didn't want things to go south... What are these brown spots... I'm not sure... my best guess is low pH causing a calcium lock out.. I keep feeding high pH ferts and water... until I find out otherwise

Other than that issue.. I'm feeling good about this grow

Just started taking a closer look at the trichomes.

I'm seeing a mix of translucent and clear...

4 1c

Not sure where to drawl the line between clear and translucent..

4 1d

Which eventually one has to drawl the line between translucent and white

Last edited:
SnappyJack

SnappyJack

1ST SCROG DIARY : UPDATE ..... 6 WEEKS OF 12/12
Into 6 weeks of 12 hours on and 12 hours off... as mentioned in the previous update.. having concerns about brown spots. and issues related to pH. Today I've added 1stp of ground dolomite lime mixed into the perimeter of each pot soil and watered in with pH adjusted fertilizer... pH came up slightly.. most likely leaves showing brown spots will not recover... I didn't expect them to. As their mother before them this is close to the time of Senescence ( see below ).. this is where leaves start looking like their dying.

4 24

You should notice in the image above the healthy green leaves along the outer borders / perimeter of the grow they show no effects what so ever of brown spot or lightening of the leaves... however you should notice in the center where the lamps focus most of the light that is where issues are most noticed .. starting today I'm going to raise the lights a little higher.. to play it safe...

Emerg1

Like their mother before them and about the same time into flower... new bracts are forming all over the grow.. This I believe where seasoned growers would call it.. the fattening up stage. In the image above and below.. you can see the bracts opening up and the pistils & stigmas growing out

4 23

At this time...Trichomes still remain mostly a mix of translucent and clear....

Emerg2

Senescence Or Late Flower Stage

The late flowering stage is when the bulk of psychoactive cannabinoids are synthesized. Between 20 and 30 percent of the dried flower weight is added during the final ripening phase. Humidity should be reduced to 50-60% to prevent bud rot from establishing in the large flowers. Temperatures should be reduced to a maximum of 80 degrees Fahrenheit (27 C), and nighttime temps can be dropped to the low sixties (16-18 C)

Cold temps during late flower help to preserve monoterpenes and can increase the purple color in buds. This coloration is caused by a pigment called anthocyanin. Anthocyanin absorbs light energy as heat and helps to protect plants against both hot and cold extremes. Purple is often seen as a selling feature for weed.

This final stage of plant life is also known as senescence. Many leaves will begin to yellow and die at this stage, and the plant is at its most vulnerable to fungal attack.

Photoperiods are usually returned to 12/12, and light intensity is decreased during late flower. Plant nutrient requirements are lower during late flower, and there is usually no need to feed during the last two weeks.

Eledin

Eledin

They are looking good! Maturing at a good rate so that means theyre healthy despite the spots. Glad to know the ph keeps going up, hopefully you will have it around 6,5 soon!

Latest posts

Top Bottom