Sea Train or Container Grow??

• Thread starter Purkle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Well I always thought this would be a good idea.......Off on some property somewhere in BFE!

Has anyone saw or have links to a grow that has been done in a Cargo Container or Sea Train?

Ive looked and searched to no avail. Thanks for anything.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
We were just talkin about this today, we are about to get serious into gettin one on the property and buried by spring.

There is a company on the west coast called "Hot Box" I think, they used to come to the trade shows, they actually had a complete unit at the Hydro expo in San Fransisco last year. Anyways they make a complete unit with (4) 4x8 ebb & Flow tables, (16)1k ballast in cooltubes, a giant ass scrubber, airking fans everywhere, it has it's own 100amp sub panel with everything wired to code..it is badass. They get like 50K delivered for the unit and they have a 20 foot version as well. I will have to find the info on it but if anybody has the show directory for the expo last year their name is in there..

They spell it with 2 T's or 2 x's or something wierd

Tex

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Ive saw those also online TK. They look real clean and plug n play. But for 50k you could build 2-3 of those i think. And if there is only (4) 4x8 ebbnflows then why is there so many lights? Thats around double what you would need I think.
Are you thinking of buying one (HotBoxx) TK or just piecing one together yourself?

I would def want one on a generator converted to biodiesel. That would be ultimate!!

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
You know me, I gotta build my own...but I ran the numbers on everything that was in those Hotboxx's and they weren't far off on their dollars if your payin retail for all the gear and a couple of grand worth of electrical and welding, adds up quick.

I am thinking of puttin it below my new dog kennels that i am just about to get in gear on. I would pour a slab and all above it and have an access door as well as the utilities housed in the kennel building. I may just do a 20 footer but if your goin to dig a hole you just as well kick a 40 footer for the effort.

I will pull a 100amp dedicated circut with a sub panel inside the container for all the gear. Probably run buckets down the entire footprint with about 10-12k kickin on movers.

There is a grow on the Cabana or IC that the cat put a tin shed above his and rocks the shit out of it. It is a giant thread with a couple of harvest covered, I can't remember where it is now.

Tex

G

grizz

they work wonderfull, make sure to put it on high ground and compleatly waterproff the hell out of it, a container with a foot or two of water in it sucks.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
You know me, I gotta build my own...but I ran the numbers on everything that was in those Hotboxx's and they weren't far off on their dollars if your payin retail for all the gear and a couple of grand worth of electrical and welding, adds up quick...

That's my kind of setup TK. Thinking big and I love it!

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Sweet. So I hope you show us how its done TK. I would love to be able to let someone else do it first and learn to do it the right way. Thanks for the responses people.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Anybody have that Hotboxx link, all my shit it in storage at the moment

Tex

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Dang!! Under construction. Must be quite busy!!!

D

drpressure600

containers . .

i spoke to about ten different crews in amsterdam about that & they said u never really see containers been put into the ground, it's really only hype & talk, there was a company in england called moneytree selling them for 10,000 pounds each & it closed down cause no one else was buying them . .

i would love to see a link to someone who has done it though . .

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Anybody have a link to the "Polar Bear ' sub panels Remo shows in the Urban Grower video??

Tex

Greyskull

Greyskull

are those containers all insulated? I can imagine heat being a big pain in the ass come summer time.

P

ProGroWannabe

The ground that surrounds the buried ones insulates them. I will be going underground in a year or so. I'm not doing a container though. I'll do everything myself so no one else has to know. My plan is to excavate, form, then pour a basement/cellar-type structure complete with a concrete ceiling supported by wood beams. The only ones that may wonder what's up are the drivers of the concrete trucks. And when I tell them it's a root cellar, even they won't question it.--common around here.

To me, the containers would gather way too much attention. Especially since you have to buy it, then arrange for it to be transported, then have a crane set it, etc...

I agree that it's a much faster means to get a grow space, but it would worry me to death to have all those extra people running around talkng about "that guy burying the rail car".

Purkle....I'm sure you've considered building something on-site. Can I ask why you don't want to go that route? Just too much start-up cash required?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
IMO opinion, doin all that concrete work and building is goin to have way more attention brought to you. You'll have to have pre pour inspections by the city, so you will have permenant plans on file with your local city gov. Concrete guys will not pour without a green tag from the city unless you know the concrete company owner and can get them to do it all on the sly and that really raises peoples attention when ya do that. That's not just one truck either, so every driver of the concrete trucks also knows what your doing, the inspectors, finish guys, electrical, guys, etc....trust me they will know what your building it for, construction, now that's a stoner industry for sure. If your goin to do all the concrete finishing, you must be in the concrete biz already I assume, cuz that ain't no DIY project by any stretch of the imagination, concrete cielings, cribbing supports, floating forms, correct tensil mixes for your verticle and clear span horizontal pours, that's all fun stuff, basements are a cakewalk in comparrison a 5 sided concrete box is easy cheesy comparred to 6 sides. You'll have a backhoe sittin there for a few weeks beside a big hole in the ground waiting for concrete to dry, pass final inspection, and backfill to your walls......

20ft and 40ft containers are being buried all the time as a root cellars around here or striaght up tornado shelter, it is just the most cost effective structure out there plus I live in "Tornado Alley" basically so everyone is tornado concious and they don't flinch when a shelter is goin in.

Containers are all over out here in agro country, it is the cheapest, fastest, weather tight structure available. I can see three from my backyard in other properties around as we speak. They are cheap, under 2K, and as far as a root celler, the same argument holds, your building a root cellar but the other thing is with a container, your done in a day, done, buried, and no one will see what's goin on or what you did...your goin to have months of costruction on a concrete structure and that will give everyone that wants to the opprotunity to ask what your doing. Concrete is outragous right now as well, your probably going to spend 10-15k on concrete alone with months of planning, permits, form work, finish out etc, just poured a little under 12 yards of concrete awhile back and that was roughly 4 grand for the concrete only on a 25'x25' pad only, no walls, no cieling...containers are under a grand and your done, delivered and ready to go. I have been in construction for most of my life and know concrete inside and out, belive me I had the same thoughts about building one myself but once you go through the drill there is no comparison at all between the two.

At least where I am at, a container wouldn't even raise an eyebrow, but you break ground on a concrete underground super structure and everybody and their dog is goin to want to know what your up to. You can take ccontainers with as well, they are portable so if for any reason you have to move or move your grow op, you just hooh up and go.

Anyways, you should look real hard at the containers, your opening up pandoras box with everybody in town involved ultimately and a container only the delivery driver even knows where is at and you can move it after the fact if ya want to.

Tex

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Here is some cool shit over on Rollitup

Tex

http://www.invalid.com/toke-n-talk/125020-shipping-containers-houses.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom