Second grow ever RDWC system

• Thread starter Buzzking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buzzking

Buzzking

Hi all! Starting my second grow using the Fallponics 4 pot 8 gal system. Running a live system using Orca for my good bacteria and GH 3 part system for nutes. Water is city treated with ascorbic acid then ph’ed down to 5.7 atm and 0.8 EC. Water temp 64F tent temp 72 48% humidity. Growing clones this time, Grandpas Cookies on the left Wedding Cake on the right. Thanks to @Moe.Red for tips on getting everything setup about 10 days in advance so the good bacteria colony could get established as I waited for the clones be ready. Tent pics below showing when they went in on 1/14 and then today. Fingers crossed this one goes better than the last. Stay tuned…

Second grow ever rdwc system 2
Second grow ever rdwc system
Second grow ever rdwc system 3

Buzzking

Buzzking

Clones looking great after 1 week in tent. PH holding steady at 5.7 PH and 0.8 EC water temp ~66 F 44% RH. Leaf temp~ 70 F. Some water has been consumed but still touching bottom of net pots so inclined to let it ride until I have at least an inch gap under them. Curious on opinions in this regard. Last grow I was draining entire system once per week and refilling with freshly ph’d water and adjusted nutes up as the weeks progressed. Also adding orca for good bacteria each time. From what I’ve read it’s better to keep that water in there and just add more after a certain percentage is gone. Adding nutes and additional good bacteria as needed. What’s the best practice here and at this point should I just let the system go as is or add some nutes and orca as I wait for water to continue to drop below net pots? @Moe.Red Or @Aqua Man opinions??
F4F2936C 15F7 495F 8AF2 0352FF81B598
0CC31596 F8F7 4A6D AF55 7006CD21E972
C24F35CA FC93 410D A3B9 B1C2A9C603EF

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Great start.

Traditionally I have done a periodic water change to re-balance everything. This last grow I did not. I am trying to learn more about root exudates and how the plants actually push things like carbs out of the roots to feed the microbes. The plant can actually push acids out to adjust the PH, seemingly doing so to promote certain nutrients to be in the right zone for uptake. Dropping PH favors P&K uptake for example.

What i am saying here is you can go a few different ways. I have gotten prolific grows out of res changes weekly. I have also proven to myself they are not 100% necessary.

The safe route is to change out the res so you get the right balance back in the water. I'm talking NPK. But if you can read the plants, that might be unnecessary and possibly detrimental.

I'm sorry I am not answering with a yes/no, but it is a little more complex. If you are not ready to dive into the complexity, they just go with res changes every 7 - 10 days. Proven effective and easy to manage for new growers.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Curious on opinions in this regard. Last grow I was draining entire system once per week and refilling with freshly ph’d water and adjusted nutes up as the weeks progressed. Also adding orca for good bacteria each time. From what I’ve read it’s better to keep that water in there and just add more after a certain percentage is gone. Adding nutes and additional good bacteria as needed. What’s the best practice here and at this point should I just let the system go as is or add some nutes and orca as I wait for water to continue to drop below net pots?

So there is some disagreement among hydro growers, some run the water up into the net pots, others do not. I am in the latter camp, the one time I ran the water higher got me into trouble. I always run 1" below the bottom of the net pot, even if you don't have roots showing. The surface agitation of the water is enough to get moisture up into that newly forming root zone.

Generally, the more water in your system, the easier it is to stabilize the ph. The problem with those large net pots is in order to keep the water level below the nets, you cannot get as much water in the system. For you, I would say that isn't as much an issue as it was for me in the one plant system.

As far as res changes, I started out changing the res every week but I do believe that is unnecessary and can waste nutrients. I'm still learning, but what I am doing now is changing the res when it needs to be changed by reading the plants. For example, I am running a strain and flipping to flower, so I changed the res for the first time to get the bloom nutrient ratios for the next phase of growth. I would also want to change out if I was reading something with the plant and having a hard time figuring out what is wrong. Changing out the res gets you a "reset" of everything where you know what you have in the water and can eliminate other possible causes of the issue if that makes sense.

The most valuable thing I have learned from Moe and Aqua is to learn to read the plants. I'm still learning HOW to read them, but once you start looking in that direction, you will learn them just the same as me.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

So there is some disagreement among hydro growers, some run the water up into the net pots, others do not. I am in the latter camp, the one time I ran the water higher got me into trouble. I always run 1" below the bottom of the net pot, even if you don't have roots showing. The surface agitation of the water is enough to get moisture up into that newly forming root zone.

Generally, the more water in your system, the easier it is to stabilize the ph. The problem with those large net pots is in order to keep the water level below the nets, you cannot get as much water in the system. For you, I would say that isn't as much an issue as it was for me in the one plant system.

As far as res changes, I started out changing the res every week but I do believe that is unnecessary and can waste nutrients. I'm still learning, but what I am doing now is changing the res when it needs to be changed by reading the plants. For example, I am running a strain and flipping to flower, so I changed the res for the first time to get the bloom nutrient ratios for the next phase of growth. I would also want to change out if I was reading something with the plant and having a hard time figuring out what is wrong. Changing out the res gets you a "reset" of everything where you know what you have in the water and can eliminate other possible causes of the issue if that makes sense.

The most valuable thing I have learned from Moe and Aqua is to learn to read the plants. I'm still learning HOW to read them, but once you start looking in that direction, you will learn them just the same as me.
I too am of the school where my water is 1 inch below the net pot and change water when needed.

Once i get the grow on its way ill always leave maybe a gallon of the old water to mix with the new when i do a change out.

Always something going on with my 4 plants and they all have different needs even when they have the same mom.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Always something going on with my 4 plants and they all have different needs even when they have the same mom.

That is very interesting. I would assume that 4 plants from the same mother would perform identical. I'm preparing to run my new 4 plant system with 4 clones from the same mom so Imma gonna get a good taste I am sure! Looking forward to the learning experience and the big harvest!

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

That is very interesting. I would assume that 4 plants from the same mother would perform identical. I'm preparing to run my new 4 plant system with 4 clones from the same mom so Imma gonna get a good taste I am sure! Looking forward to the learning experience and the big harvest!
As my wife said, they are identical, each with her own personalities.

Buzzking

Buzzking

Well there are 2 different strains. In the picture showing the 4 pots Grandpas Cookies on the left, Wedding Cake on the right. All 4 clones, cut then after about 10 days to gets roots going relocated to their new home at the same time

Buzzking

Buzzking

A little concerned about root discoloration. Seeing slight brownish color. Oh and found out my digital thermometer that is recording water temp is 10 degrees lower than actual! Long story as to how I found that out but glad I did, water is actually around 74 F so wondering if I need a chiller to cool it down?

Anyone have opinion on how roots look and if the warmer water might be encouraging bad bacteria? Should I do anything at this point or just give it another dose of Orca and hope the good starts to take over the bad?
5A26CDD6 A1A9 4C6D B9CD 2549DF0B70D4
628B2C07 5D29 4032 9993 283406DE6367

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

A little concerned about root discoloration. Seeing slight brownish color. Oh and found out my digital thermometer that is recording water temp is 10 degrees lower than actual! Long story as to how I found that out but glad I did, water is actually around 74 F so wondering if I need a chiller to cool it down?

Anyone have opinion on how roots look and if the warmer water might be encouraging bad bacteria? Should I do anything at this point or just give it another dose of Orca and hope the good starts to take over the bad?
View attachment 1323848View attachment 1323849

Alright bro I got you. Even if this blows up I’ll replace it with perfect clones treated from day 1 and you will never need to worry about this.

I think you have a colony developing there. Question is of course is it the right one? Smell it and feel the dark spot for slime and get a closeup if you can.

I think you are good tho.

I can see the plants a little in the background how about an overview shot? The more info we have the better the advice.

Aeration good? What is your current nute regimen, ppm and ph?

Buzzking

Buzzking

Did the feel and smell test, no sliminess smells organic or plant like nothing fowl. Pics below

Changed water Tuesday left about 4-5 gallons of old water in system. Was at 0.8 EC tried bumping up a little ended up at 1.0 EC or 500ppm on the 500tds scale. PH of course kept dropping thanks to buffers in tap water but pretty good at monitoring and adjusting keeping it under 6 around 5.7-5.8 when leveled out.

Aeration looks good in my opinion. Tried dropping water to get 1” below pots but as Sweetleaf mentioned with these big pots PA supplies hard to run it that low and keep recirculation going. Afraid if I go lower a little water consumption will cause level to go below return.

6764D7F2 0A89 4F53 A49C 948186AC9CD0
E17E384E D8A0 45DD 8B6B 9F7E11BE7972
2A4D2A55 F3F9 4CAD 9827 29442514121D
3E9D125D A91C 4931 9045 F20EB6242626
1CE5B389 FB7C 428B B266 DBFD1AA72F12

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Did the feel and smell test, no sliminess smells organic or plant like nothing fowl. Pics below

Changed water Tuesday left about 4-5 gallons of old water in system. Was at 0.8 EC tried bumping up a little ended up at 1.0 EC or 500ppm on the 500tds scale. PH of course kept dropping thanks to buffers in tap water but pretty good at monitoring and adjusting keeping it under 6 around 5.7-5.8 when leveled out.

Aeration looks good in my opinion. Tried dropping water to get 1” below pots but as Sweetleaf mentioned with these big pots PA supplies hard to run it that low and keep recirculation going. Afraid if I go lower a little water consumption will cause level to go below return.

View attachment 1323862View attachment 1323866View attachment 1323863View attachment 1323864View attachment 1323865

I would let that ride.

I do not see any fungi so yes dose again with great white. What you want to do is fill a tub or bucket or whatever with declorinated water and dose that. Then put the roots in and swish them around until coated. Then dump what’s left over in the res. Should be the last time you need to do that this grow but get that everywhere including the substrate.

You need to consider building an auto too off. Any kind of bucket or tote and a couple parts.

Top Bottom