seddlings look a little sick,one week old,any advice?

• Thread starter wtjames
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

wtjames

this is only my second grow,i started from seed again with better genetics,but the round leaves are yellow after one week and the leaves seem to be curling down,they just dont look as healthy as the first run,thought maybe a few folks could give me their 2 cents…these are a week old today,no nutes!!! in rapid rooters using plain tap water…thanks in advance

Sprouts1
Sprouts2
Sprouts3
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Need a little more information: Temperature ranges and relative humidity. Otherwise, I would say perhaps they're hongreh, need a little bit of food (go light!).

D

doBpop

Hey now and thanks SM!

temp = trying to keep around 76-78 - range 75-80 .
humidity = 40-50% - should be higher I know.

Overall they look fairly healthy just some of them aren't as happy with drooping leaves.

Are the purple stems anything to be concerned with?

Thanks for the help again!​

deadcat

deadcat

Droopy leaves usually mean too much watering, what kind of air hose you have going into the reservoir? May need a bigger one. Wouldn't use nutes this early. I didn't need nutes until about week 7 of my seedlings. Usually purple stem is from too much nutes... rapid rooters come pre-fortified w/micronutrients for abundant root growth. Is this the first time using rapid rooters? Maybe check into what other people that grow herb w/those say, might be something w/them. Just my 2 cents. Looks like a promising grow though! Keep it up.

- I read this about the Rapid Rooters:

"Rapid Rooter plugs are fortified with General Hydroponic micronutrients for abundant root growth"

D

doBpop

Thanks in advance to everyone for any help!

What should the temp and humidity be at this stage?

We raised the lights to see if they were too close.
(2 sunblazers with 8 54s = 40k lumens)

We also added 1 tsp. progrow to gal water and watered two of the trays to see if that was the problem.

Thanks deadcat!
No reservoirs yet ..... still in the super plug trays.

deadcat

deadcat

Thanks in advance to everyone for any help!

What should the temp and humidity be at this stage?

We raised the lights to see if they were too close.
(2 sunblazers with 8 54s = 40k lumens)

We also added 1 tsp. pro bloom to gal water and watered two of the trays to see if that was the problem.

Thanks deadcat!
No reservoirs yet ..... still in the super plug trays.

Veg you want humid, Flowering you want dry. I would just mist them through veg and make sure you have good airflow to prevent mold/mildew/algae. I mist mine all the way up until flower. I'd wait until dropping stops though b/c if it's from too much water/not enough h20(air) then it might hurt more than help.

Hope it goes good, light's probably not the issue if using fluorescent, plus some of the taller ones closer to the light aren't droopy... so if plants start getting "stretchy" then I'd lower them again I use t5 HO and keep about 3-4 inches away, same w/T8's I used to use. Those rapid rooters seem pretty cool. I've been using rockwool cubes for everything (from seeds to clones), I'm gonna look into those though, may be good for clones (rapid rooter... sounds promising).

how much water have you been giving them, are they sitting in water or are you just watering them periodically? With the droopy leaves (if from over-watering) it's not necessarily too much water as much as it is the roots aren't getting enough H20/air. If they're sitting in a little pool of water, I'd put less water in the pool so some of the roots within the rooter are exposed to H20/air... If you're watering them, I'd water just a bit less often. Won't hurt, but might help.

I see a couple that aren't drooping, are soil/environment conditions slightly different at all with those? Is there a common characteristic in the environment of the ones that are not drooping vs ones that are that may help explain things?

this site's been EXTREMELY helpful for me too btw:
http://strainguide.org/wp-content/uploads/growfaq/97.htm

it's a great plant abuse guide!

I'd hold off on nutes too until they're a bit older too, but if you're careful it's no prob, in my experiences they are especially easy to burn when that young though. I think seamaiden meant to imply lights should be closer rather than to add nutes by saying they look "hongreh" b/c what she said afterward (again, I think... but then again that's off the assumption "hungreh" is some backwoods synonym for hungry, lol. -Just messin with ya seamaiden:party0045:)

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I think dedcat has it. I know my problem historically has been to be worried about drying out, so I have over watered. That's what has given me yellowing at such an early stage.

KUSHMAN901

KUSHMAN901

I use dwc and i also use rapid rooters and i add a light dose of nutes after 2nd wk as far as leaves curling i would say your medium is to wet humidity i keep seedlings between 60-70 and temp 75 - 78 and make sure you have enough air moving

F

frophead

Been using rapid rooters for clones for a long time, and just recently for seedlings. I find it is very very difficult to over water them. Mine are sitting in a 1/4 inch or so of water 24/7 and they are doing just fine, and they are about the same age, 7-10 days. I wouldn't add nutes, but 1 tsp/gal definitely seems high to me, depending on your nutes, but that is full strength with a lot of nutes out there, especially the salt based fertilizer.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but those look dry to me. Could just be the lights but RR's are generally much darker colored when properly moistened, closer to black than brown. If they are not wet to the touch I would give them some water in the bottom of the tray.

Hard to say about the light, but the safe bet to me would be 10 inches or so away. They don't need shit for light at this stage. Wait til you start vegging and feeding them to blast them with light.

Hope I could help. Best of luck brotha!

W

wtjames

day 12…moved them 10" away from the light,humidity is 50% and temps are btween 70-80 and half teaspoon of pureblend per gallon,still look yellow and still have curl…i have no idea whats going on,but it sux and its stressing me…200+ seedlings is alot to lose

M

Mr. Greenthum

Only mist the leaves of plants that dont have roots the dont need misting if they have roots

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
It is time for an emergency Hail Mary pass. I don't think these seedlings should have ever been fertilized. I would flush them with clearex in water and then flush with plain water and then flush with super thrive water and then let them dry until they need watered again.

If you don't have clearex then just do a very good water flush. But do use the super thrive. I don't swear by super thrive but it has saved a plant or 2 for me when all else fails.

W

wtjames

there in rooter plugs..not much to flush,they dont sit in any water and the plugs will be dry to the point of shriveling up and being as hard as a golf ball within 24 hrs,there under 8 t-5 sunblaze bulbs so the plugs dry really fast,i think if anything they are possibly underwatered and as for nutes a half teaspoon of pureblend organic shouldnt cause any problems,or hasnt in the past…also the local grow store guys are telling me 45% humidity after the seeds are a week or so old…any opinions?

deadcat

deadcat

there in rooter plugs..not much to flush,they dont sit in any water and the plugs will be dry to the point of shriveling up and being as hard as a golf ball within 24 hrs,there under 8 t-5 sunblaze bulbs so the plugs dry really fast,i think if anything they are possibly underwatered and as for nutes a half teaspoon of pureblend organic shouldnt cause any problems,or hasnt in the past…also the local grow store guys are telling me 45% humidity after the seeds are a week or so old…any opinions?

I know it's been said like what, 5 times now but I wouldn't give them nutes you are probably just burning them :sign0023:. Maybe you should try having them sit in plain water like this guy below does. Seedlings don't need nutes.

Been using rapid rooters for clones for a long time, and just recently for seedlings. I find it is very very difficult to over water them. Mine are sitting in a 1/4 inch or so of water 24/7 and they are doing just fine, and they are about the same age, 7-10 days. I wouldn't add nutes.

W

wtjames

well thats a grand idea oh except the fact they werent given any nutes till yesterday and still were yellow and sickly looking,that was the reason for trying the nutes,havent heard any other ideas that has helped,still pretty stumped

dextr0

dextr0

wtjames for real i would be checking into my water. Since you first started posting (some of your first posts on site, not this thread) there has been yellowing from the very beginning which i find odd as most of the time a seedling will have enough nitrogen etc to hold itself for awhile (no nutrients plain water). But yours are turning yellow from beginning each time...I would find out what was in my tap. For now what i would do is flush like was stated before and if you are hell bent on feeding with something make a light EWC tea to supplement. Use clean water not tap this time.

dextr0

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Good catch on the consistent issues, dextr0. I, too, would go with something like a worm casting tea for babies.
day 12…moved them 10" away from the light,humidity is 50% and temps are btween 70-80 and half teaspoon of pureblend per gallon,still look yellow and still have curl…i have no idea whats going on,but it sux and its stressing me…200+ seedlings is alot to lose
I would work the VPD numbers, if it's off that could very well explain the way the leaves are drooping down in such a curved manner. Yellowing this early makes me think they need water, but I've only ever put seedlings into soil, never done it any other way so I can't speak to what problems might arise.

First read this: http://www.autogrow.com/1_information/1_vpd/info_vpd.html
Then use the calculator: http://www.autogrow.com/vpd_calc.php

I would not expect it to help with anything but the drooping/downward curved leaves.

As for overwatering seedlings.... if some of you saw how I do my seedlings I think you'd croak. :giggle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I misspoke above, I said that the yellowing makes me think they need water, I meant to say food. No excuses for that, just too distracted and trying to get a post in before I had to leave for an appointment.

dextr0

dextr0

Sea,
That first link reminded me of this http://www.pruittfamily.com/paul/plants.htm
Ive had it on my bookmarks for quite awhile now and just got around to reading it the other day. Very interesting stuff on how hormones affect your plant during good and bad times.

"The idea is that a cell experiencing a deficiency in one of the four classes of nutrients is no longer able to sustain itself or do so for very long. The signal first tries to address the nutrient shortfall by using stores of the nutrients. Being unsuccessful at that, and with an increase in the level or amount of the signal the cell attempts to address the shortfall by changing the behavior of nearby cells and cells at the opposite end of the plant if they are responsible normally for harvesting that nutrient. Finally if that doesn't fix the problem, the cell decides to senesce accompanied by critically high level of deficiency hormone, a point of no return as it were. Perhaps deficiency signal levels are directly related to the size of the nutrient shortfall and second and third stages of deficiency are not reached if the amount of the deficiency stays at a low chronic level.

The positive feedback comes in because at the third stage, high levels deficiency hormones actually push nutrients out of the cells experiencing the deficiency. Also it is not just their own respective nutrient that the hormone pushes out, but it pushes out all four classes of nutrients. As you can imagine once one hormone is pushing out all the types of nutrients, it soon begins synthesizing other deficiency hormones, which just snowballs the process, finally leading to a condition of high level of all four nutrient deficiency hormones and little or no nutrients left except a cellulose skeleton of where the cell used to be. Whether high levels of all four nutrient deficiency signals is a requirement or just a symptom of senescence, is a question that needs to be answered with experiments.

Latest posts

Top Bottom