seddlings look a little sick,one week old,any advice?

• Thread starter wtjames
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dextr0

dextr0

For some reason it keeps popping in my head that yall should sterelize all plugs with something like h202 (read up on how to use this properly) then reinoculate if thats how your going to be running things. The flush is good but when u mentioned slime at the bottom of those other two i just wonder about the medium (plugs). Flushing will not get ride of any harmful bacteria, or fungi...if there are any. And algae takes up plants nutrients, im not gonna say its REAL bad but I wouldnt want it there.
Before you do anything though lets see what others have to say about this. I figured i would shoot it out there since its been bugging me.

dextr0

dextr0

dextr0

In the event the root zone becomes contaminated with a pathogenic outbreak, what is your opinion on the best way to treat the situation,
1st if you are using bennies,

Drain the system, raise light to half intensity, run water with 1/2 strength Zone/H2O2 for 1-2 days while plants are in the system, drain and refill with 1/2 strength nutes and reinoculate.....call CC for further instruction.

2nd if you are keeping a sterile reservoir.

Same as above minus re-inoculation. Remember it's always best to react before problems arise as this doesn't typically happen over night. If there is a problem that arises over night it's typically chemical burn and is a whole different issue all together.

Side Note....there is a product called "mycostop" which is excellent to introduce when root health goes south.....here's a link, more ion this later.

Thanx MediMary this info was killer!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The moment you have sufficient moisture coupled with light you're going to get microalgae. That, I don't think but cannot state unequivocally, is not likely to cause harm to the plants, not like a mold or fungus could. I have never concerned myself with the microalgaes I have found growing on soil or media surfaces because I have never found that they *cause* a problem.

If there is a biofilm or slime forming under the plugs, there is a problem developing. I have never seen anything like that outside a kitchen sink or old tea scenario, but would also work to eliminate that ASAP.

D

doBpop

Thanks to everyone for the interest and help.

Ok here we go after being busier than a three-tailed blind cat in a room full
of speed freaks drinking coffee in rocking chairs ...

The delay flushing the babies was due more or less to not having immediate access to store bought water.

As in my last post we flushed them and have been giving nothing but the purified water since. Watering when the tops of the plugs start drying out and they look a lot happier (see pics) so far (knock wood) and most seem to be bouncing back with healthy looking new growth. Lost two or three or ten but feel really lucky.

Also cut back to ONE light fixture.

We feel the tap water was the culprit as ya'll said. (thanks again)

Started another batch of a hundred for backup just in case from seed from last grow..

OAN:
We had pollen in last room (this one is different/new) from males and hermies and my concern is for the pollen collected in the canfan which I made a separate post about if anyone would like to comment on that. (How long does pollen live)

Also interesting sidenote:
of the four temp units in the pic they are within a degree or two on the temp.
The RH however reads like this (NOT in pics) from the two digitals to the two mechanical:
42 47 53 59 - all sitting within a foot of each other! :sign0065:
HOW do we get an ACCURATE reading and HOW do we know it's accurate?

As always any help is appreciated and welcomed and thanks in advance!

DSC01385
DSC01386
DSC01387
DSC01388
D

doBpop

Hi Dextr0! (and thanks)

That's just plum great!

I'll just calibrate each one now and I can sleep better LOL!

How do the babies look in the new/latest pics?

dextr0

dextr0

There lookin great. A little (and by that i mean a lot) too far from any light source i would have them at but im sure u were just giving them a break? If not get them lights back down there. Youve done good and they wanna take off now. A couple days at most and i would go ahead and transplant if ive got good roots going there. Good lucc.

dextr0

D

doBpop

We're shooting for the transplant to the 6x6 plastic pots with hydroton in the big trays under 1k MHs on Saturday.

So you think they're strong enough for both the T5 sunblazers (with 8 54s = 36k lumens) full blast at close range now? Only been under one last few days at that height.

dextr0

dextr0

^^^If they start stretching you will want to move the light down. Or i would.

i wouldnt put the other light up because look at u temps right now; Unless u have a plan for cooling it down then yea go for it.

D

doBpop

Thanks dextr0!
We're heating to achieve heat so less heat = less temp.

Here's the latest:
Got a hydrologic stealth200 RO so clean water from now on LOL!
Adding 5ml/gal CalMag to water and PHing to 5.5.

Here's some pics from yesterday. (22 days from seed)

How are they looking now?
Other than the damage done and being behind anyone see any (potential) problems now?

Also, what do we look for and/or how do we tell if they're stretching any?

22days1400
22days1401
22days1402
22days1403
22days1404
22days1405
22days1406
dextr0

dextr0

Everything is looking and sounding good. Im glad yall got it figured out and took action. Saved your babies and money.

Sorry I didnt know yall were having temp problems. Growers like to keep plants in mid 70s during day and as close as you can get to day temps at night (within a few degrees) as this will help with stretching.

Stretching, stretching is when the length between leaf sets are long or stretched. I try to keep my plants as compact as I can, that means i try to keep that space (internodal) as close together as possible by keeping light as close as possible and like I said day and night temps as close as I can get them.
Why? Well my 2 reasons are 1. the more space in-between the less likely hood those two buds will meet. And when they dont meet that's a little nug. Nothing wrong with that but I find most people like big nuggs...hell I like big nuggs. 2. I feel (and this is where others might not agree) that if i keep a squat plant she has less work to do. She has less of an area to shoot her goods recieved from the roots, so less energy used. Bottom line is a stretchy plant is a plant not being taken care of right in my eyes. She is seeking light, give it to her.

Lucc,
dextr0

I forgot one thing. When your plants go to 12/12 they will automatically be stretching on you. Some do this more than others. Thats another reason you wanna keep them nice and compact now. When that stretch comes if you already have stretchy plants u better have head room and more light cause the further you light source from your plants the less light they get...again less energy. Keep em low.

T

Toes

doBpop and son, open for business.

Looking better and probably feeling better too.

Good job vigilante gardeners.

D

doBpop

Hey thanks guys!

So do you think they will be OK in the long run? (26 days from seed today)
Do they look very behind at this point?

Here are more pics from yesterday.

25days1408
25days1409
25days1410
25days1411
25days1412
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Absolutely. That's one of the beauties of Mary.

D

doBpop

Thanks Seamaiden! I think you are saying they are OK then right LOL!
(pardon me for not quite getting what you're saying)

Here's some more pics from this morning.

Are they stretching any?

Do they look OK?

Any comments - good or bad?

27days1419
27days1420
27days1421
27days1422
27days1423
27days1424
dextr0

dextr0

They are ready for transplant.

Edit:The girls look great. Growing, and healthy. Great job yall.

D

doBpop

They are ready for transplant.
Hey dex! (and thanks)

Yep - past due - tomorrow AM. ;)

D

doBpop

Well got two tables transplanted today.

Reservoirs at 400ppm with calmag (250ppm) and PB progrow.

1k MH lights at 4 feet - how and when should we lower them?

Also, here’s the new babies that are 11 days today from seed. (and stretched)

2trays
10days21426
10days21425
Top Bottom