Seedling light cycle

• Thread starter cctt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cctt

After germination and sprouting some cotyledon, how long can seedlings remain under a 12/12 light cycle before responding to it by flowering? I was thinking that in nature this may happen naturally as spring's 12/12 is late march, but days quickly get longer.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I don't know exactly how long, but if your growing indoors they will grow better with 18/6 instead of 12/12. What I mean by that is with 12/12 they are more likely to stretch and with 18/6 they will photosynthesize longer which provides more growth. I usually don't plant outdoors til June 1st, but there are people who put plants out in March and they usually have more issues with plants revegging. I'm not saying all plants will flower then reveg in March, but its more likely to happen.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Interesting about the females. At what point in their life is sex determined?

I know plants have male and female chromosomes, but not sure exactly when its determined. I think one suppresses and the other dominates late in veg and/or early flower. Don't hold me to that.

C

cctt

If I clone a vegging plant all the clones will share its sex - even if it hasn't flowered yet - so I have to assume the sex has been determined by the time it's big enough to clone.

Bannacis

Bannacis

sex of the young plant can be purswaded to favor male or female very early in life.
your light regiment say 18 on 6 off has influence, temps, type of lights...
it used to be that it was just a 50/50 chance from seed. still is kinda.
But there is ways to influence females.

Top Bottom