Seedling next step which soil to buy

• Thread starter fordman1991
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
katraiter

katraiter

The day after sprout I like to TRANSFER my jiffy into a pre-moistened 5gal airpot that contains equal parts of a light, fluffy, well draining FFOF-FFHF-Perlite mix. I use a little Mycorrhiza to help the radicle get established.
What kind of bucket is that?

leroygreen

leroygreen

Who is selling Fox Farm for $30-$40 a bag?!

My local prices are $20 a bag for your choice of either the 2 CU FT of Fox Farm Happy Frog or the 1.5 CU FT Fox Farm Ocean Forest. If you buy 4 you get 1 free, mix and match.

They even sell smaller bags that are cheaper but no mix and match or freebies for the smaller bags.

I mix 50% Happy Frog with 50% Ocean Forest.

How big of pots will be using for your plants?

Do you have 2 sets of true leaves or just the cotyledons?

Don't forget to buy nutrients, they are not exactly cheap either.
I also do the 50/50, big bloom, big, bud, tiger bloom, hi-brix, cal- mag and myco. Works great. Remember the 50/50 of happy frog and ocean forest will keep plants going for about 4 weeks maybe little less. These pics today are using this setup.

PXL 20240419 1355566932
PXL 20240419 155927336
PXL 20240419 174515652
PXL 20240419 152132719
Newty

Newty

I also do the 50/50, big bloom, big, bud, tiger bloom, hi-brix, cal- mag and myco. Works great. Remember the 50/50 of happy frog and ocean forest will keep plants going for about 4 weeks maybe little less. These pics today are using this setup.
You quoting my post actually made me realize I made a mistake, I don't actually do 50/50 but 2 parts Ocean Forest to 1 part Happy Frog.
Obviously 50/50 works good also, your plants look awesome!

F

fishmon

When should I up the pot
A tip I learned and started using awhile back (no help in your current grow but something to consider for the future)...start in a clear drink cup with drain holes burned in the bottom edges. Then nest it into dark colored solo to minimize light on the roots (also with drain holes). That way, the clear cup can be lifted up to see the level of root development to help determine when to up pot. Otherwise, a good rule of thumb is wait until the foliage has spread out beyond the diameter of the cup/pot or seeing root hairs trying to peak out the drain holes then up pot. Brighter light can help reduce the stretching. Creative propping up can sometimes be needed. I've had seedlings stretch to the point of flopping over. As mentioned in another post, when up potting, it's fine to bury that long stem. Eventually, roots will pop out of it also.

zack991

zack991

I am just starting out this year, waiting in seeds to arrive. I have read to avoid miracle grow, using Fox farms. Locally runs about 25 bucks for a 40 pound bag.

Top Bottom