Seedlings

• Thread starter angry monkey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
angry monkey

angry monkey

I'm very new to the organic soil thing but I'm going to assume the regular soil mix I have mixed up will be a bit hot for seedlings. I whipped this up for 3 seedlings and 3 clones.

A cup = 18oz solo cup for my use

2 cups promix bx
2 cups canna coco
1 1/2 cup vermiculite
1/2 cup perlite
2 cup ewc

They will get a tea a week or so in and I would expect them to be the cup for another week. My question is do I need to add anything else? Dolomite lime or something for ph and calcium? I plan on just watering as this will be my first full no bottle run. Suggestions or comments welcome.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

That might be tad bit too much worm castings....saying goes the seed provides enough nourishment for two weeks and I would use distilled water that's already at the grow room temp good luck and if you havent planted seeds yet you might want to scuff em up a lil with some clean sand paper so water is sure to penetrate....

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

I'm a organic grower my self but I use
Pro mix hp
Organic garden lime for the pH buffer an calcium
An like caveman said they don't need much the first 2 weeks, then after that I start mixing up an bubbling a light tea brew so I don't burn them. Then when I start flowering I start adding organic calcium to my brew. Here is the name of the company General organics camg+ hope this helps you.

angry monkey

angry monkey

That might be tad bit too much worm castings....saying goes the seed provides enough nourishment for two weeks and I would use distilled water that's already at the grow room temp good luck and if you havent planted seeds yet you might want to scuff em up a lil with some clean sand paper so water is sure to penetrate....

So do you think I should maybe quadruple the promix and coco or scrap it altogether? I have no nutes on hand anymore but can easily make a tea with ewc and alfalfa meal. I've done a lot of seeds but I usually do hydro and am feeding them the second a root reaches water.

angry monkey

angry monkey

I'm a organic grower my self but I use
Pro mix hp
Organic garden lime for the pH buffer an calcium
An like caveman said they don't need much the first 2 weeks, then after that I start mixing up an bubbling a light tea brew so I don't burn them. Then when I start flowering I start adding organic calcium to my brew. Here is the name of the company General organics camg+ hope this helps you.

I thank you for your help but I think you missed the part I said no bottles.

I understand I am new here but I have been doing this a long time. I'm just trying to learn a new way to do this since I feel this is the only step left to improve my quality. While there's nothing wrong with using a bottle, I no longer want to be a slave to them.

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

Well it is totally up to you but the stuff that you are gonna add to the pro mix bx for better irrigation you might be better to just buy the hp! Just my 2cents tho

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

I thank you for your help but I think you missed the part I said no bottles.

I understand I am new here but I have been doing this a long time. I'm just trying to learn a new way to do this since I feel this is the only step left to improve my quality. While there's nothing wrong with using a bottle, I no longer want to be a slave to them.
Your on the right track for quality improvement. Organic/vganic is connoisseur quality.

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Straight earth worm castings is safe for seedling. I do cut it personally but its not hot. I would also go with hp instead of bx just cause the extra perlite.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

So do you think I should maybe quadruple the promix and coco or scrap it altogether? I have no nutes on hand anymore but can easily make a tea with ewc and alfalfa meal. I've done a lot of seeds but I usually do hydro and am feeding them the second a root reaches water.
Me personally i wouldn't use that much earthworm castings but I would use that much in a tea over time....but by no means am I saying that 50\50 ewc\coco wouldnt work I just crawl into it

Angry monkey checkout terra ponics that is soils version of hydro....you start with a plane soil then add microbeasties and and food for those beasties via water.....there's a ton of compost tea and feeding the soil approach threads have fun with that search box....

angry monkey

angry monkey

Well it is totally up to you but the stuff that you are gonna add to the pro mix bx for better irrigation you might be better to just buy the hp! Just my 2cents tho

This is already made. I can easily add more to it to even it out in any way necessary. So now you suggest I buy another bag of promix just to have a seedling mix? My final soil mix is already cooking as well. Like I said, I just whipped this up in hopes of keeping a plant alive for 2 weeks before it gets real soil.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Straight earth worm castings is safe for seedling. I do cut it personally but its not hot. I would also go with hp instead of bx just cause the extra perlite.
I would love to see that sounds like somethingI would love to experiment with....anychance there a thread you cab point me to showing the success of this approach peace

angry monkey

angry monkey

My next run with this I plan on going with recycled soil and rice hulls. I'm really sick of perlite. But I will cut it a bit more. From what I understand the strain is heavy feeder to begin with.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

This is already made. I can easily add more to it to even it out in any way necessary. So now you suggest I buy another bag of promix just to have a seedling mix? My final soil mix is already cooking as well. Like I said, I just whipped this up in hopes of keeping a plant alive for 2 weeks before it gets real soil.
I think it will survive

angry monkey

angry monkey

I had no idea the hp has more perlite. Not something available here from what I've seen. The bx is everywhere. Would of definitely gone with it the first time since I hate buying perlite.

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

Sorry I missed the last part about the bottle the lime should be fine just keep an eye on your ladies when flowering for any calcium deficiencies.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

If your in Colorado try Colorado's Finest Batch 64 and use your hydro approach with compost teas instead of bottles

angry monkey

angry monkey

If your in Colorado try Colorado's Finest Batch 64 and use your hydro approach with compost teas instead of bottles

Sadly I am not but I will look into it to see if I can find something similar if I don't stick with this approach.

Top Bottom