Seeing Spots, But No Mites

• Thread starter odogodo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

No disrespect to homebrew( I know you know your shit!! ), but it's forsure not thrips.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Most ph-down products are mainly phosphoric acid, which throws off your P values. Citric can increase growth of bacteria and sludge in res.

I like sulfuric acid, cause it contributes sulfur which is hard to overdo and often quite lacking in jug-nutes anyway (building block for terpenoids, gives the weed it's smelly). Easy to get via battery acid at auto parts store, or better yet, more concentrated for use making biodiesel. Search for discussion of it in the "cheap alternatives" thread here for cautions and mixing instructions.

Oh and K silicate makes a good ph up adjuster and doesn't take much. Silica is also very useful (strong trunks/stems, drought-resistance, vigor) and usually missing from jugs unless you buy the silly liquid silica products. Look for AgSil 16h or similar soluble form, or lots of ways to amend silica if you're making supersoil.

P

paulycali

Be careful on your foliar spray. I think its just that

Check out this spray...OpticFoliar...Shit rocks plus you can spray when the lights are on. Gotta love that :)

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Cool. Lemon down, baking soda up. No chemicals. You all are the best!
dude, those are both chemicals! o_O and relatively useless ones at that. Sulfuric and KSil are both just as 'natural'. Gonna take a lot of lemon juice to move the ph very far..

odogodo

odogodo

Be careful on your foliar spray. I think its just that

Check out this spray...OpticFoliar...Shit rocks plus you can spray when the lights are on. Gotta love that :)

I diluted the neem, but maybe some pure neem dripped on the outside of the bottle, then dripped on the plant. Dunno. I pretty much always raise the lights when I spray too.

manitoid.

manitoid.

I'll try lemon juice out tomorrow and let you all know how much it takes to get the PH down. Anyway, this thread at ICMag is saying if the soil is right, then you don't have to worry about PH: .

Yep, I haven't measured PH in a long time now w/ organics.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

dude, those are both chemicals! o_O and relatively useless ones at that. Sulfuric and KSil are both just as 'natural'. Gonna take a lot of lemon juice to move the ph very far..
Lemon juice works really well Depending on the ppms of the solution you are trying to ph. I mix up 30 gal at a time. I bought a liter for around 3 bucks, that was 2 months ago! Definitely not for the hydro Rez tho!

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

By useless i mean they contribute nothing of significance/value to the nutritional profile, where the two i mentioned do (and are fairly essential if you want top-quality meds, regardless where you get specific elements). Adding more salts like sodium bicarbonate raises your ppms with no other benefit I'm aware of besides ph adj (also potentiallty throwing off balance of other elements like K, CA, and ZN).

I have used lemonjuice, it is ~5% citric. I bet actual organic lj costs more than $3/l? Wonder what kind of pesticide residuals are in the non-org kind? Conventional citrus growers are some of the most prolific nasty-chem sprayers, you can easily taste it in their non-org produce. Citric is useful during endflush as an additional chelator, but i don't use it before that.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

By useless i mean they contribute nothing of significance/value to the nutritional profile, where the two i mentioned do (and are fairly essential if you want top-quality meds, regardless where you get specific elements). Adding more salts like sodium bicarbonate raises your ppms with no other benefit I'm aware of besides ph adj (also potentiallty throwing off balance of other elements like K, CA, and ZN).

I have used lemonjuice, it is ~5% citric. I bet actual organic lj costs more than $3/l? Wonder what kind of pesticide residuals are in the non-org kind? Conventional citrus growers are some of the most prolific nasty-chem sprayers, you can easily taste it in their non-org produce. Citric is useful during endflush as an additional chelator, but i don't use it before that.
You definitely know waaaay more about it than I do! Where do you get sulfuric acid? Does it affect the micro life?

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

You definitely know waaaay more about it than I do! Where do you get sulfuric acid? Does it affect the micro life?
not enough unfortunately :eek: the microbe thing keeps coming up in a few threads lately, here's one: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...tips-with-canna-coco.48642/page-7#post-888978

Best place to get sulfuric seems to be the ebay link Cap posted in cheap alternatives thread. Battery acid is weaker and more expensive, but the container is still enough to last quite a while, and way cheaper than hydrostuff. I wonder if maybe your lemon juice adds anything for certain aromatics (oils, plant-chemistry stimulators)? Then there's the sugars of course but prob not enough in amounts used for ph adj. I just think sulfur is easiest to work with and boosting it via epsom really brought out the stink for me.

odogodo

odogodo

I'll try lemon juice out tomorrow and let you all know how much it takes to get the PH down. Anyway, this thread at ICMag is saying if the soil is right, then you don't have to worry about PH: .

Watering my plants today, it took 20ml of RealLemon lemon juice concentrate to lower the PH of 5 gals. of my tap water from 8.4 to 6.2.

odogodo

odogodo

So these spots are starting to concern me now. They don't seem to be spreading much, but they seem to have grown in size. I'm noticing small flies around the tops of the plants lately. Not sure if that's related. They are in the 4th week of flower. It this a nutrient problem?

Leaf
Leaf2
odogodo

odogodo

So anyway, here's my final report on these spots. Those spots were spider mites. The flowering plants on which they first appeared were healthy enough to ward them off. But all my clones got them. Spots, then necrotic patches, then a rusted look. So I'm definitely keeping on top of them from now on. Weekly neem oil. Pepper spray and Azamax if I ever see anything like that on a vegging plant. After two weeks, my clones have had 2 doses of Azamax, and 2 doses of pepper spray. From now on I'll neem them in veg weekly. I'm not sure if at the end of the pepper spray/Azamax regimen whether or not to dose them with Forbid. Maybe that's overkill. Maybe in the future I will try just pepper spray and see how that works. This time I'm not screwing around with them though.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

So anyway, here's my final report on these spots. Those spots were spider mites. The flowering plants on which they first appeared were healthy enough to ward them off. But all my clones got them. Spots, then necrotic patches, then a rusted look. So I'm definitely keeping on top of them from now on. Weekly neem oil. Pepper spray and Azamax if I ever see anything like that on a vegging plant. After two weeks, my clones have had 2 doses of Azamax, and 2 doses of pepper spray. From now on I'll neem them in veg weekly. I'm not sure if at the end of the pepper spray/Azamax regimen whether or not to dose them with Forbid. Maybe that's overkill. Maybe in the future I will try just pepper spray and see how that works. This time I'm not screwing around with them though.
Thats crazy never seen spider mite damage like this. Are they russet mites? If spider mite damage was this severe you would see them and their webs everywhere.

odogodo

odogodo

Thats crazy never seen spider mite damage like this. Are they russet mites? If spider mite damage was this severe you would see them and their webs everywhere.

I think they are some kind mites anyway. I only saw mites after 2 weeks of that spotted stuff. Check this out, I think the name is Sarah posts on one of these forums, I guess this one, 400x pics of these mite hoards in inside the leaves. I used a 100x magnifier, and I'm pretty sure I saw butt loads of eggs. They look like spheres of water. Any way, the flowering plants are looking good, and the clones are coming back too. I'll see if I can find that pic.

Top Bottom