• Total voters
B

Burned Haze

Well I just redid my whole room

Room Specs:
15.5ft wide
30ft Long
10ft Tall

*Mould Resist drywall (2 ft bottom, 8ft top) , Mudded/Primmed & then Panda filmed
* R30 Twice (opposite directions ) On top
*R13 On walls

My main question is since I finally have my room sealed and 10'ft tall area, Would any DoubleEnded running guys say its worth the switch? Basically I can get 100-200 bucks for my ballast/reflector each. I've watched a shitload of threads online and seen locally good results too, but theres def some requirements to DE that everyone mentions . So is it worth it?

If i do upgrade to DE: A/C upgrade : 24,000-30,000 ( higher amount of
nutes always )

15 600w vs 10 DE Epap's?
So $2,500ish-3k after selling other hoods + a/c

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Burned Haze

I'll buy some of those hoods and reflectors :p
i had 28 originally for 2 rooms . now 15 left and need to decide if I'm doing air-cooled reg bulb or DE :)

I say go with the paps. Just picked up a 20 pack myself for $475 ea and loving them! Pm me if you need info where to get them.

Thanks!! I saw a few online places (475) but I am going to try to convince a local shop to preorder them so i do not have to have any paper trail to me since online based would save me time/effort. Any growing suggestions with those bad boys? do you do their dimensions on spacing of the lights ?

B

Burned Haze

Why epaps? Why not go with Gavita, Sun System DE or Hydrofarm DE kits? All the testing I have seen the three for-mentioned company's left the epaps in the dust.

Really ? reason I wanted the EPAPs was the more canopy densitity of
Light compared to the gavita and other prices . Icmag and a few other boards have a few compare threads stating that .

All the local shops can get nanolux and gavita easier so if proven that's a better choice .

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
IMO Gavita has a much better canopy penetration, foot print, and ultimately yield than Epaps did and I ran them side by side 40 per room. Nanolux is new to the market place so not much historical data but I just hung 25 or so of them and love the features and workmanship of the units. I will let you know after the first flower cycles how they perform

Epaps, be design, are for supplimental lighting and not primary source lighting

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Closed Reflector.

PL or GAVITA... Why waste your time with any other company that's been around a fraction of the time those two companies have.

There is a reason those are the fixtures in commercial Ag...

Also, why use less lighting?

Incorporate the same amount of light in DE and see your yield increase substantially or use less fixtures to achieve the same yield you're already getting????? Why not grow your business?

S

Seed Buyer

Hydrofarm is taughting the results from their new DE system and they are showing it put out more light than the epaps. What the Hydrofarm document did not show was their new DE product vs gavita. It was just hydrofarm vs epaps. Makes you wander why they would not publish any results of their DE product vs the gavita head to head.

wonka

wonka

@Texas Kid thanks... seen on the site they have it listed as 240v in the products section but in the catalog its listed as 120v/240v! since u have seen them, could u tell which it is?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I'm running mine at 220v and they come with a 220v power cord but they are digi's so I assume they are dual voltage..OK so I just looked at the brochure I have sitting here and it shows two versions, one with a fan and one without, the one with the fan is 120/240, the one without the fan in 220v only .

They also have a 600w version that is adjustable from 300w/450w/600w/super lux in a 220v only and a fan cooled 120/220v version

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Hydrofarm is taughting the results from their new DE system and they are showing it put out more light than the epaps. What the Hydrofarm document did not show was their new DE product vs gavita. It was just hydrofarm vs epaps. Makes you wander why they would not publish any results of their DE product vs the gavita head to head.
That test would be useless.

Seems to still be a misconception on who is using the best technology.

It's all the same Chinese manufacturing behind them, nothing that is better then the other. Only differences you will find are reflectors, bulbs, and how ballasts are mounted.

-Choose the reflector based off your style of growing, no one reflector is BETTER. However, Digilume's reflector (the USA made reflector!!) is complete garbage. Horribly seated on the fixture's arm and with the silver used when manufacturing you can expect that hood to turn black after extended use.

-There are minor differences these days with DE Bulbs but I can tell you, until Genesis releases their's, the Ushio and Gavita are the way to go.

-Position of ballast will drastically alter heat build up. Gavita and PL have vertically mounted there ballasts to allow smoother traveling of heat, i.e. less stagnant heat around the ballast, unlike Nano's.

PL's are very hot right now, and I have to admit, initially I did not buy into the hype but 2 important points really make them a no brainer, even without test results.

-They're based in Canada so getting these fixtures will be much easier then waiting for boats on the water.

-They have been in the Commercial Ag scene the longest and have more greenhouses using their fixtures then any other competitor.

DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez

Here we go again ;).. All the usual DE/SE suspects chiming in

Haze... IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR SETUP. Depending on the size of your room, grow style & amount of lights you want to run.

Epaps & the Hydrofarm OPEN STYLE fixtures are gonna give you mucho overlap and coverage, up to a solid 5x6 spread plus some supplemental/overlapping coverage. The closed style (Hydrofarm closed, nano & Gavita) are going to give a much harder downward throw like a 4.5 square (maybe 5ft square).

2 rows of 5 lights in a wide room like yours would make the paps or Hydrofarm open style a better fit. I'd actually run 12 in that space. This is one of the few applications that the pap style open reflectors are DEFINITELY a better fit.

No offense to greenleaf but we all know his company and they don't carry ePap (as far as I know) so I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. He has provided tons of good info on this site so I just want to reiterate I am not hating on him. I have no affiliation with ANY of these companies so understand I have no agenda other than helping you find the correct light. My guys sell them all except PL so I can help you get a KILLER deal on any of them. My guys will beat any price anywhere, period.

And for the record... I believe Lights Interaction (manufacturer of ePap) is actually one of the worlds oldest and largest manufacturers of commercial lighting fixtures btw. Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong but this came DIRECTLY from a Gavita employees mouth at a trade show. The open style reflectors were originally created for greenhouse supplemental lighting but have been reworked for indoor growing applications. The reflectors are different than what you'd find in large greenhouse applications in Holland where the lights are placed on 20 ft squares and lit intermittently throughout the night to keep the plants in the vegetative state. THESE ARE NOT THE SAME LIGHTS but the concept is the same in that they spread light wide and overlap rather than penetrate super hard downwards... The only downside of these is If you're growing HUGE trees you may not get the illumination way down to the bottom of the plants. If you're running plants that finish 4-5ft or less please get open style for this setup.

nanolux is coming out with several styles of interchangeable reflector which will give you the versatility to change should you want to. They're going to have open style, closed style and perimeter reflectors with one side open & wall side closed. Pretty sweet if u ask me.

Either way PM me and I'll give you my suppliers info. They can do a CAD design for your specific room showing layout, projected light output, plant spacing, hvac needs etc.

DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez

And just to clarify further..

The open reflectors are especially good in illuminating large spaces with fewer lights. Again the trade off is lighting more square footage but get less penetration.

You're putting less fixtures than you COULD in that space making the opens a better fit unless ur growing TREES. If you could run unlimited wattage YES you'd be better off putting 18 1000w gavitas in there each lighting 5x5 areas at 40w per square foot.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

We carry plenty of E-paps and we do not steer people away from them. If the situation works, it works.

To be clear, I'm not looking for a sale here or anywhere, we're doing just fine.

And it doesn't matter what company I work or consult for, there success does not effect me.

Hortilux Shreder owns both Lights Interaction and PL, LI entered into the market for hobby lighting. PL owns 67% of the Commercial Ag market. (period)

These are hard facts.

Also, only a small percentage of companies are offered the PL fixture....for a reason.

Arguing about lighting is a waste of breathe. Marketing has aided in misleading people.

You're a typical consumer misleading others with rumors and marketing, 'no offense'.

Top Bottom