Shaded's Corner - SF4000 & SE3000

• Thread starter Shaded_One
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Awesome I use pure brand epsom, then just grabbed these to start with

Anything I’m missing to start with your method?

Seen a bunch of people using down to earth so figured that’s a good option, then you weren’t kidding about the azomite lol either it’s huge bags or super high price, this one wasent bad I got it till I can shop around for a better deal but I’ll have it for now

check your hydro store first they might have cheaper sources to the azomite and gypsum!

https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/growing-with-gaia-green-shadeds-method.140538/ this thread should have everything ya need in the first post. I'm currently in the process of modifying my guide a bit with the amounts but I need to finish this grow to harvest first to see how it goes. I do use just plain old tap water that sits out for 24~ hours, nothing else really special aside from that :) oh fabric pots

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
check your hydro store first they might have cheaper sources to the azomite and gypsum!

https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/growing-with-gaia-green-shadeds-method.140538/ this thread should have everything ya need in the first post. I'm currently in the process of modifying my guide a bit with the amounts but I need to finish this grow to harvest first to see how it goes. I do use just plain old tap water that sits out for 24~ hours, nothing else really special aside from that :) oh fabric pots
I could do 5 gallon fabrics but have been prefering my homemade 5 gal buckets lol, I drilled 3/4” holes all the way around every roughly 4” up from the bottom lip to the top lip, and another 6 holes in the bottom, I put a piece of metal screen on the bottom to prevent medium loss not much gets lost through the sides but I just cleaned them out 2 days ago from the last run, and those roots where fully entangled into the bottom screens on every plant so I’m maple with those results lol

I refill the 5 gallon primo water jugs with my hose with a chlorine / chloramine / VOC filter on the end, I stopped PH’ing water about halfway through my last run and wow, I think PH’ing was actually hindering the plants because they exploded once I just started feeding tap water that sat out

I’d be interested in your new tester method if you want an independent tester 😁

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I could do 5 gallon fabrics but have been prefering my homemade 5 gal buckets lol, I drilled 3/4” holes all the way around every roughly 4” up from the bottom lip to the top lip, and another 6 holes in the bottom, I put a piece of metal screen on the bottom to prevent medium loss not much gets lost through the sides but I just cleaned them out 2 days ago from the last run, and those roots where fully entangled into the bottom screens on every plant so I’m maple with those results lol

I refill the 5 gallon primo water jugs with my hose with a chlorine / chloramine / VOC filter on the end, I stopped PH’ing water about halfway through my last run and wow, I think PH’ing was actually hindering the plants because they exploded once I just started feeding tap water that sat out

I’d be interested in your new tester method if you want an independent tester 😁

haha well if you wanna give it a shot on a plant feel free, I pretty much increased the feed amounts across the board:

4-4.5 tablespoons per gallon of growing medium (last feed I did 1 cup 444 and 1 cup 284 in each 7 gallon pot = 32 tablespoons total)
4 tablespoons (not per gallon) of each triforce additive

so far it's been lovely in veg but haven't hit the hard part of the exam :p

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
haha well if you wanna give it a shot on a plant feel free, I pretty much increased the feed amounts across the board:

4-4.5 tablespoons per gallon of growing medium (last feed I did 1 cup 444 and 1 cup 284 in each 7 gallon pot = 32 tablespoons total)
4 tablespoons (not per gallon) of each triforce additive

so far it's been lovely in veg but haven't hit the hard part of the exam :p

Ok cool you’re running 7 gals, maybe I should increase pot size

Better idea of my 5 gal buckets, these where just in the 4x4 last run to finish up

Plants where a bit smaller than the others, they where monstercrop clones

1F7AD666 A7CB 4947 8B54 729317044E6F
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Ok cool you’re running 7 gals, maybe I should increase pot size

Better idea of my 5 gal buckets, these where just in the 4x4 last run to finish up

Plants where a bit smaller than the others, they where monstercrop clones

I really am liking the 7 gallon pots so far. I ran a single 10 gallon pot last time in my 4x4 and I am now doing four 7 gallon pots in the 5x10. Nice custom pots 🤙

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I really am liking the 7 gallon pots so far. I ran a single 10 gallon pot last time in my 4x4 and I am now doing four 7 gallon pots in the 5x10. Nice custom pots 🤙
I just saw some 10’s and some 20’s and even 30gals and 40gal nursery posts at my local garden center, so really it’s up to what I wanna use as a final pot, was considering running a 15 or 20 gal on the back lower deck, gotta keep it outta view though lol

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Sup Wiz and Big Mike? Great topic imo from couple great dudes. Wish I kept a recent article I had read. It was a reliable source that had run a 3, 5, 7, and 10 side by side. I unfortunately don't recall the particulars other than that I was surprised they preferred the 5 to anything higher.
That worthless piece of info with too many holes in it aside 😆, obviously personal experience trumps all and you both have it. From my experiences of learning what not to do, I feel I have overlooked the direct correlation between pot size/root growth space and length of time to veg/flower. If I plan to veg for 4 vs 6 vs 8 weeks, shouldn't I consider that with pot size?
My 1 plant scrog(in the beginning) in a 7g in a 4x4 won't get me a qp and it was 12 weeks of flower and likely 6-8 weeks veg or more. Now I know you all grow on another level but compare what I did with what I plan to do. Will be interesting to see how things differ. Simply doing 2 tents of 5gs x 4 each, short veg, mainline 8 colas, and try to get through flower quick so as to give myself less time/rope to hang myself with.
Speaking of pots, do either of you recommend adding "any" kind of base layer to bottom of fab pots? Ex. Gravel, perlite/coco, etc?

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
Hey guys great topic. Shaded's thread is always a good read with lots of valuable info.
As for the pot size topic. I run opposite of you guys. I run small plants in small pots using promix and Gaia green.
I Stick a clone in a 2 gallon pot of my mix and let it get settled into new pot then flip to flower. Sometimes I don't even let the clones get used to the pot I just flip right after transplant. This time around when I transplanted and installed my blumats I also dug a hole under my blumats and top dressed them right away to get them used to the top dress early. Then I just top dress every couple of weeks. This round they are looking really good so far at week 5. Just top dressed them this past weekend hopefully for last time. Made it a big top dress to try and hold them to the finish line.
With my method I'm trying to average between 1 and 2 ounces per pot. Some will get more and some will get less depending of strain and plant health.
Usually works out pretty well.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Pot size comes down to personal preference a lot of times, and it vastly depends on your grow space size and how many plants you plan to run per space, how long you plan to veg etc etc. It can be a complex thing if you let it. And then you need to decipher the organics vs synthetics, typically synthetic growers use smaller pots and organic growers use larger pots.

When using organics:

-larger pots have a larger buffer zone (duh :p)
-larger pots allow you to provide more nutrient coverage/feed less often
-larger pots typically mean larger plants/more buds
-larger pots don't need to be watered as often
-larger pots help increase the RH of the grow space

But if you only plan to veg for 4 or 6 weeks, chances are you'll never get the roots to fill out a 10+ gallon pot. A lot of times it comes down to trial & error and each grower will find their sweet spot with pot sizes and types.

@PerfecTrader I do not use any base layers or anything in my pots just straight soil all the way through 🤙

steamroller

steamroller

Speaking of pots, do either of you recommend adding "any" kind of base layer to bottom of fab pots? Ex. Gravel, perlite/coco, etc?
Anything added to the bottom besides soil is wasted space.
The perched water table will be what ever it is in the soil. If you raise the soil 1 or 2 inches with 'drainage' then you raised the perched water table 1 or 2 inches also. No gain for us.
Here it is in a picture.
perched-water-table-double-pot.png

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Sup Wiz and Big Mike? Great topic imo from couple great dudes. Wish I kept a recent article I had read. It was a reliable source that had run a 3, 5, 7, and 10 side by side. I unfortunately don't recall the particulars other than that I was surprised they preferred the 5 to anything higher.
That worthless piece of info with too many holes in it aside 😆, obviously personal experience trumps all and you both have it. From my experiences of learning what not to do, I feel I have overlooked the direct correlation between pot size/root growth space and length of time to veg/flower. If I plan to veg for 4 vs 6 vs 8 weeks, shouldn't I consider that with pot size?
My 1 plant scrog(in the beginning) in a 7g in a 4x4 won't get me a qp and it was 12 weeks of flower and likely 6-8 weeks veg or more. Now I know you all grow on another level but compare what I did with what I plan to do. Will be interesting to see how things differ. Simply doing 2 tents of 5gs x 4 each, short veg, mainline 8 colas, and try to get through flower quick so as to give myself less time/rope to hang myself with.
It’s all @Shaded_One with the info! I’m just trying to keep up with his method 😁 always healthy looking happy plants, can’t argue with results!

I’m almost ready! Missed the delivery by 20 minutes haha had to go to work. Carpets are done finally so the 4x4 will go back up in a few days! Just waiting on one more delivery tomorrow before I start Frostette #2

E80653B9 19F3 4B8E A764 EACE81E21AAB
BA5C31E3 4D73 4E81 8B74 9988314E55D8
PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Anything added to the bottom besides soil is wasted space.
The perched water table will be what ever it is in the soil. If you raise the soil 1 or 2 inches with 'drainage' then you raised the perched water table 1 or 2 inches also. No gain for us.
Here it is in a picture.
Makes perfect sense and for sure se no benefit. Yall rock and thanks much for the knowledge

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

It’s all @Shaded_One with the info! I’m just trying to keep up with his method 😁 always healthy looking happy plants, can’t argue with results!

I’m almost ready! Missed the delivery by 20 minutes haha had to go to work. Carpets are done finally so the 4x4 will go back up in a few days! Just waiting on one more delivery tomorrow before I start Frostette #2

Frostette #2 gonna be a beast I can already sense it! 🧙‍♂️ hahaha I always get amazon delivery anxiety

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Frostette #2 gonna be a beast I can already sense it! 🧙‍♂️ hahaha I always get amazon delivery anxiety
Know how lucky I am my neighbors are cool? How about one bringing over a $500 grow light in a non-discreet box that they dropped off on his porch 😂 yeah, he got handed a free 1/2 oz haha

And Frostette #2 hell yeah I can’t wait to start her! I work tomorrow but the next day I’m off so I’ll mix up some fresh peat mix, and get her going, gunna go direct sow again

Leeboy

Leeboy

Hey 👋🏼 gang , glad I found this thread . I’m ready to kick over to the gaia green method . I’ve been running a new to me Canadian 🇨🇦 product called “Strive” with promix. So far I’m not as happy with it as I was with megacrop and jacks 321.; I’m about 1 week from flip , would it wipe everything out if I switched now ? Or better to wait til I start a new run ?

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I also wanted to ask , do any of the other gaia green products help like “ rock dust , kelp meal , oyster shell etc …” ?

all of their products have a purpose if you understand what it is and what they do, with that being said you def do not need to use any of their products aside from the All Purpose and Power Bloom. Through my own trials and tribulations I figured out that some more goodies were needed to maintain lushness so that's where the "triforce" comes from - Azomite, Epsom, Gypsum.

Some may find use from their other products. Insect Frass is one that I've been looking into. Liquid seaweed is another. There are some others that are probably required if you plan to reuse your soil, eg oyster shell flour.

I can’t wait to start her! I work tomorrow but the next day I’m off so I’ll mix up some fresh peat mix, and get her going, gunna go direct sow again

direct sow is the way to go imo! 🤙 I don't see mother nature germinating seeds in a moist paper towel and then placed on a heat mat :)

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
Hey @Shaded_One not sure if you are interested but I'm doing a small giveaway for a couple clones one Instagram and one at overgrow. If you or any other Canadians are interested hit them up.✌️

Latest posts

Top Bottom