Should I add UVB Light?

• Thread starter LaVirtue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

What's the brand and wattage again?

Wattage is 40 per tube, but I have UVA and UVB light meters, which is really what we want to focus on I think.

I'm OK with buying new bulbs for this test, we just need to do it really soon.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Wattage is 40 per tube, but I have UVA and UVB light meters, which is really what we want to focus on I think.

I'm OK with buying new bulbs for this test, we just need to do it really soon.
Have a link to the bulbs? So I can see the ratios

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Really cool interview w solacure founder!

Screenshot 20210323 091557

Screenshot 20210323 091803

The purdue paper

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Really cool interview w solacure founder!

View attachment 1105720
View attachment 1105721

The purdue paper

Here is an awesome, free paper on how this works. What a gold mine! Several awesome graphics. I need to get to a computer to sit down and summarize but i learned more from this than i have learned from the rest of my research combined re: uvb.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Seems... unsatisfying. Range in distance and time is massive. 12" at 4 hours is probably 20X more photons than 2 hours at 24, maybe more. There has got to be an equation for that.

Also, my bulbs do not measure the same, and they are different depending on what part of the bulb you measure.

I just ordered 2 new bulbs because these are old and used. Hopefully I will get more consistent readings with new bulbs, and that can help determine the testing parameters.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Here is an awesome, free paper on how this works. What a gold mine! Several awesome graphics. I need to get to a computer to sit down and summarize but i learned more from this than i have learned from the rest of my research combined re: uvb.

IMG 20210323 142939661
IMG 20210323 142946372

Here is my attempt to show how i am thinking about it. Sorry about the childish handwriting...i will edit with typed captions lol.

Domon8n30

Domon8n30

Look guys cannabis plans have a very specific way of defending themselves against UV rays they build trichromes to block the, kind of like we use sunscreen. So by adding UV to your grow, or like most LEDs come with UV these days the plants grow more trichomes to keep themselves from burning. It's as simple as that look it up...

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Look guys cannabis plans have a very specific way of defending themselves against UV rays they build trichromes to block the, kind of like we use sunscreen. So by adding UV to your grow, or like most LEDs come with UV these days the plants grow more trichomes to keep themselves from burning. It's as simple as that look it up...
Your post is misleading at best, and flat out wrong at worst.

We don't do bro science here.

Domon8n30

Domon8n30

Yeah they also build them for insects and other things but it's basically a defense mechanism...

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So this is wrong...
Not wrong, just inadequate and incomplete. First of all UV WHAT?

FWIW, I can build a blog post that says anything I damn well please (especially if I am selling something), link to it, and claim argument victory? Nope, show me science, not stuff written to such a basic level they don't even distinguish between the spectrums of UV which have VASTLY different effects on the plant.

Nobody is saying we know everything here, except maybe you?

One primary benefit of science is to be able to predict outcomes. This is what we are working towards here.

Sorry if I pissed you off with the bro science comment, just trying to hold this discussion to a higher level.

Last edited:
Domon8n30

Domon8n30

Well my grow lights just have UV and I have definitely seen an increase in trichome production since I've started using the lights that have UV included...

Domon8n30

Domon8n30

Not wrong, just inadequate and incomplete. First of all UV WHAT?

FWIW, I can build a blog post that says anything I damn well please (especially if I am selling something), link to it, and claim argument victory? Nope, show me science, not stuff written to such a basic level they don't even distinguish between the spectrums of UV which have VASTLY different effects on the plant.

Nobody is saying we know everything here, except maybe you?

One primary benefit of science is to be able to predict outcomes. This is what we are working towards here.

Sorry if I pissed you off with the bro science comment, just trying to hold this discussion to a higher level.
Lol didn't piss me off just wanted to show that I wasn't wrong...

Domon8n30

Domon8n30

You're right Bill Nye the science Guy this is your thread I'm sorry....

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Well my grow lights just have UV and I have definitely seen an increase in trichome production since I've started using the lights that have UV included...

OK sir, let me try to see if we can close this gap between us.

I ask you again, how do you measure this? Visually? Explain your controls in place to see the same plant with and without UV (again UV WHAT) and how you compared them. If visually, please post your pics so we can understand. Closest thing we have to a peer review process.

Second, assuming you can prove added trichomes, how does that relate to cannabinoid content? Terpenes? Please show your test results.

Third, what are the spectrums, amounts / intensity, and the DLI you are running on the UV?

Lets start there and see where this goes.

Your buddy Bill.

Domon8n30

Domon8n30

I'm definitely no scientist just a stoner who likes to grow better Bud each time...
Your basic bro.

Latest posts

Top Bottom