Should I add UVB Light?

• Thread starter LaVirtue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

isn’t bud density referring to how tightly the calyx pack together? Not the actual plant matter I don’t think. Would you call that structure?
Great point.. man.

Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking but was unsure if my brain was working right.... I think ground up would be the same gram for gram but the size of the buds may be different to reach the same weight (meaning the amount required to fill a volume pre grinding may be different)... looking back at my earlier comment it was flawed.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking.... I think ground up would be the same gram for gram but the size of the buds may be different to reach the same weight (meaning the amount required to fill a volume pre grinding may be different)... looking back at my earlier comment it was flawed.

nah. Not flawed. Just a case of weed grower slang.

that’s why I was saying @Moe.Red needs to hire a bud squeezer.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

They were buds when they went in the graduated cylinder but they broke up a bit when agitated to get the bubbles out

As I mentioned a few posts back they feel the same

It seems to me like the UV killed off some important leaves early on then seemed to learn to deal with it. I feel like at that point the damage was done and new growth was stunted due to less leaf production capacity. The control side just continued to grow.

pcgrower1979

pcgrower1979

OH MAN I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS

Essentially the first few rooms would be a series of walk-in coolers with flood tables on racks. Whether or not they had the compressor and condenser installed and working would depend on the external environment and the goal of the room. Why walk-in coolers? They're easy to clean, keep temperature and humidity beautifully, and have holes for ventilation and circuits cut already.

The first, for germinating seedlings, would be kept around 85F and at 75% humidity, with just enough ventilation to keep things from molding and 24 hours of T4 light. With a UVB air filter.

The second, for once they pop, would be around 78F and 65% humidity with 12 hours of 3500k light and 12 of darkness. For quickly sexing regs without disrupting the grow process or sending out for testing. Something like an oscillating fan or two set on low for ventilation.

The third would be a veg room with slightly more intense 4000K light source on 24 hours that starts to introduce far red and UV, with more intense, unprediictable winds. Something like a rotating platform with a few oscillating fans on it. Kept at 75F, 60%. Plants still on flood racks.

Once plants start thriving in there, they'd get transplanted and put into a larger pot on differently spaced flood racks under 20 hours of 3500k light until they reach sexual maturity (alternating nodes at new growth), or, preferably, sexual frustration resembling the last cougar at a dive bar. A similar ventilation system as the third room, but turned up higher. 80F, 75% humidity, during lights on, 70F with 65% humidity during lights off.

Then, to start flowering, a room with both far red and UV under 3500K, under 12/12. 80F, 75% 24/7. Ideally there would be CO2 supplemented, and possible temp and light adjustments might have to be made for that (also maybe supplementing with other inert gases could be a way of mimicking higher altitudes?!?).

Then, to finish flowering, a room with the same supplemental lighting running at 3000K under 11.5 hours of light. 75F during lights on, 67F when they're off, 60% ambient humidity all the time. Same caveat for CO2 here.

pcgrower1979

pcgrower1979

You sure have given a lot of in-depth specs here. Great idea. I am going to steal the freezer idea....
but I have been thinking about a similar plan. I am lazy and don’t like to work much. Instead of trans planting I am going to set up 3 to 4 rooms where I can change the environment. This way I don’t need to transplant (actually I enjoy hydro), but all’s I do is turn a switch or two.

Start the room as seedling and end it with flowering.

Jrod2676

Jrod2676

Hello,

I have been growing on a very small scale for about 4 years. I am always trying to learn more about growing and I know that I have so much more to learn. I also know that it's probably a life long process!

I started with auto-flowers in a 2 x 2 tent with a horrible LED light. I also experimented a few summers with some photo-period strains with outside grows here at 42 degrees north.

A few months ago, I got a slightly bigger 3 x 3 tent and a new light - a Spider Farmer SF2000. Right now, I have 4 plants growing in a mix of 1/2 Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil and 1/2 Promix Michorrizae. I have 2 Mass Medical Panama Pupil, 1 Mass Medical Prayer Pupil, and 1 unknown origin Orange Sunshine.

All 4 plants were clones, and I let them veg for about 3 1/2 weeks. They have been in flower for about 4 weeks now. They are really healthy. I have been feeding them mostly with Cyco nutrients but I added MOAB recently.

I have a family member (my Dad) who smokes cannabis many times daily to relieve his extreme back pain. He is 75 and is set in his ways, He typically buys the premium highest potency, most expensive THC weed from the medical dispensary. So far, he says my weed is not strong enough to help his pain. He will smoke it, but says that it doesn't help enough with his pain.

My question is, should I add an additional light that has UVB light in it? Would that increase my THC production? I have read that this helps.

Also, my Prayer Pupil has been tested at 30%. When breeders say that their pot tests at a certain level, can you take that at face value?

I completely understand that the benefits of cannabis is not just with the THC level and that its a combination of the entourage effect of various terpenes and cannabinoids. However, the only thing my Dad cares about it the THC!

Any thoughts or ideas? I appreciate it very much!!!!

LaVirtue
If you want all your plants to die , go for it 😭🙈🤣 Plants not started under uv lighting will die and go into shock . It’s same principle saying you wa

Jrod2676

Jrod2676

If you want all your plants to die , go for it 😭🙈🤣 Plants not started under uv lighting will die and go into shock . It’s same principle saying you wa
Wanna transfer indoor plants thatve been under led wavelengths, to your backyard outdoors . Can’t.. Though u have the right idea and thought ! All diff colored lightings will help all around . I’m growing with white led and blue and red uv as your wanting , just the only difference was I started them off the first 2 weeks under only red blue uv . Then now I’ve just threw in the warm and white lights . Both have made quite a nice difference to be honest .

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

I agree that trichomes are not increased. But you are going to have to take my word for it because my closeup pics are irrelevant. Since I cannot continue to look at exactly the same spots since the control bud grew around the pin, I have no proof.

On the concentration, jury is still out. I have not completed testing. I think the lab report will be the final say there. But based on TLC, prospect looks good that you are correct there too.

There are conflicting reports on increases of THC only, THC with a reduction in minors, no change, and detrimental change due to UV. I think only a proper lab test will do to settle this argument.

Thinking of changing my name to bro science after this.

How about Dr Moe Red?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Final TLC. Curious if anyone else sees what I see?

Final TLC Overview

Final TLC

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You sure have given a lot of in-depth specs here. Great idea. I am going to steal the freezer idea....
but I have been thinking about a similar plan. I am lazy and don’t like to work much. Instead of trans planting I am going to set up 3 to 4 rooms where I can change the environment. This way I don’t need to transplant (actually I enjoy hydro), but all’s I do is turn a switch or two.

Start the room as seedling and end it with flowering.
That's probably how someone who grows gobs of the same clone over and over for mass production might do it.

If you want variety, keep in mind they are not all ready for the same things at the same time. The reason people do multiple rooms is so they can put the plant in the right climate at the right time.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Had to look this one up. I've never gotten this result before that I can remember. And yes, this WW smells like a cross between lemon and rose. Just wow.

THE CANNABIS TERPENE GERANYL ACETATE

EXPLORING THE CANNABIS TERPENE GERANYL ACETATE
A colorless terpene with an aroma reminiscent of roses and fruit. This is a monoterpene, referring to its molecular structure. There are several different types of terpenes and terpenoids, which are precursed by terpenes. They can have many different forms and be found in various plant species all around the world. Cannabis is not the only home for most terpenes it holds.
Geranyl Acetate isn’t water soluble but it can be mixed in alcohol or some oils. It is referred to as an ‘ester’ which is a chemistry term, because it has at least one hydroxyl group in its chemical makeup. When you combine an ester with water, it creates an alcohol or acid. This particular terpene is present in over 60 essential oils, some of which include:
  • Citronella
  • Lemongrass
  • Palmarosa
  • Geranium
  • Coriander
  • Carrot
  • Sassafras
Geranyl Acetate is used regularly to give fragrance to soaps and lotions where a rose scent is desired, or possibly geranium.
ABOUT TERPENES AND TERPENOIDS
Over 40,000 different compounds are represented by terpenes and terpenoids. Plants can supply everything needed for function, growth, and repair to the human body. Scientists have discovered that plants can give our bodies much of what is necessary to function more completely, including help with pain and inflammation.
WHAT CAN GERANYL ACETATE DO?
  • LIKE MOST TERPENES, IT IS A KNOWN ANTI-FUNGAL, ANTIMICROBIAL, AND ANTI-INFLAMMATORY. THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY IS BEGINNING TO SEE THE POWER AND POTENTIAL IN PLANTS AS MEDICINE. IT SHOULD COME AS NO SURPRISE SINCE SO MANY OF OUR EARLY ANALGESICS AND REMEDIES CAME FROM THINGS LIKE TREE BARK. MANY PEOPLE USED WILLOW TREE BARK AS AN ANALGESIC AND SOME STILL DO, OVER ASPIRIN.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Guys, check my math here. I'm thinking the density question is best handled by % Cannabinoid.

When a measurement is taken be it TLC or lab test, you start with a known quantity in terms of weight. In the case of TLC, it is .1g of flower.

Speaking just about THC, if you were at 50% THC, .05g would be THC and .05g something else.

Lets say the UV plant tests at 25% THC and the control at 20%.

Lets say the harvest is 1000g under UV, and 1200g for control.

I should be able to calculate the grams of THC as 1000 * .25 and 1200 * .20 respectively

So the UV would have 250g THC and the control would have 240g.

Doesn't this math take care of all the density and volume questions fo us?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Guys, check my math here. I'm thinking the density question is best handled by % Cannabinoid.

When a measurement is taken be it TLC or lab test, you start with a known quantity in terms of weight. In the case of TLC, it is .1g of flower.

Speaking just about THC, if you were at 50% THC, .05g would be THC and .05g something else.

Lets say the UV plant tests at 25% THC and the control at 20%.

Lets say the harvest is 1000g under UV, and 1200g for control.

I should be able to calculate the grams of THC as 1000 * .25 and 1200 * .20 respectively

So the UV would have 250g THC and the control would have 240g.

Doesn't this math take care of all the density and volume questions fo us?
25% would be 250mg per gram. 20% would be 200mg per gram

Latest posts

Top Bottom