Should I be trimming any of these leaves ?

• Thread starter Diranged
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bdubs

Now. Because you top cut, I like to remove all side shoots below. Leave the leaf growth, cut all side shoots below your target side shoots you want to keep as you new tops. All other side shoots, chop them off. This forces all nutrients to the new tops and not wasted on side shoots.

Diranged

Diranged

Right ! So I think I’ve completed the topping successfully now , which leaves to cut @Bdubs ? The fan leaves developed closest and coming off ?

IMG 0783
IMG 0781
IMG 0782
IMG 0784
B

Bdubs

Plus, you don’t want lower side shoots growing taller or impacting growth of your tops you wish to keep. I see on the example picture that a couple lower side shoots are growing quite tall and matching the new tops you selected. Those are just problematic for you right now and stealing energy. It’s like a straw, the stem, and the first growth gets the most abundance of nutrients. So those lower side shoots are going to get most of the juice and grow quite faster than the two new tops you’ve created. Unless you are top chasing, I’d get rid of all side shoots other than my selected tops/side shoots. Allow the new tops to develop and grow. You won’t want to keep any of the growth from the bottom of those target tops. Because you chose to top cut, all growth to keep is only going to be on the two tops/side shoots you chose.

You start all over when you top cut, creating two new plants from one. Side shoots below just steal energy. Keep leafs remove any side shoots other than your target/selected tops.

B

Bdubs

You keep leafs because they perform photosynthesis and provide energy to the plant. Side shoots steal the most and especially if they are below the canopy/selected tops at this stage. Eventually, after you let them rest from the stress, you’ll start pruning lowest leafs first and work your way up as your two tops grow up. I tend to take the lowest set of leafs, wait a few days, then next set. Until I am left with just my two tops. And I let the tops grow as if I started veg all over. Because that’s what you do when you top. You create two New plants from one.

B

Bdubs

It’s hard to tell. I think it looks fine. But just make sure you are not chopping off the tops/side shoots you wanted to keep. Either way they will develop. Read up on some topping sites. I know it’s basic info out there. Where to cut and what not but the whole process takes research and personal experience and development. 👍 they should grow up nicely.

Diranged

Diranged

It’s hard to tell. I think it looks fine. But just make sure you are not chopping off the tops/side shoots you wanted to keep. Either way they will develop. Read up on some topping sites. I know it’s basic info out there. Where to cut and what not but the whole process takes research and personal experience and development. 👍 they should grow up nicely.
Thanks dude , felt quite brutal but I obv want them to be as big and strong as possible so thanks again for guidance . Think it’s ok . I’ll post an update in a few days 🙃

Diranged

Diranged

Just thought I would post a side by side of before I top and after I make the cut so you can see how I do it.

Also get yourself a nice pair of snips if you don't have them already. I use alcohol wipes on them before cutting.

View attachment 2138294
View attachment 2138297
Nice bro ! Yeah I have an ok pair of snips that I got with the kit , plus I bought a spear n Jackson set . So I think one set of leaves too much judging your photo .. the one in right I took the bigger set above the topping off . Ah well , I think I was a bit to late anyway so not end of world . I’m hoping they will grow back stronger etc . I’m still unsure which bottom ones to cut as suggested but I’m just gunna leave it for the week now in regards to trimming . I’m glad I did it as it’s more learning , I’m just happy they’re still alive . Next season will be much more refined

Mothman

Mothman

Nice bro ! Yeah I have an ok pair of snips that I got with the kit , plus I bought a spear n Jackson set . So I think one set of leaves too much judging your photo .. the one in right I took the bigger set above the topping off . Ah well , I think I was a bit to late anyway so not end of world . I’m hoping they will grow back stronger etc . I’m still unsure which bottom ones to cut as suggested but I’m just gunna leave it for the week now in regards to trimming . I’m glad I did it as it’s more learning , I’m just happy they’re still alive . Next season will be much more refined
Since we’re talking about topping, I’m a big fan of leaving a generous stump between the cut & the surviving branches. Like @Newty did (I leave even more stump when the situation allows). It seems to reinforce the stem/branch joints (the future tops can get weighty and torque-y).

And I noticed that @Captspaulding has recently posted photos of his clever zip-tying job that keeps the manifold branches from splitting.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
I wouldn't worry about trimming anything yet.

Do you have a closer picture of the topping you did?

I would move your scrog net a little above the plant, now that you topped you are going to get multiple branches and the scrog is used to control them and with how low your net is, it would be hard to train them. Just put it a little over the plants and let them grow into the scrog net and once it has grown into the net, you can start tucking your branches for an even canopy.
I don’t know much about SCROG but aren’t the gaps in the netting to wide

Diranged

Diranged

I don’t know much about SCROG but aren’t the gaps in the netting to wide
I didn’t make the net bru , it’s a mars hydro job ! If I can tuck the canopy above it ( which I can ) then I assume it will be fine ! Also none of the scrog pros who have been helping me with this have mentioned it so I think we’re Gucci! You should see them today after , plus they got some fish mix last night and they truly have exploded . Will post a pic a bit later

Diranged

Diranged

I was just gonna say…….👊🏻
You win this round Jedi.
Hey bro , yeah this is something I’ve been unsure off honestly as there’s so much conflicting . It’s a Mars Hydro TSL 2000 ( dimmable ) they’re currently sitting between 12/14 inches at 75 percent but I keep moving them up . It’s only at that height because that’s what the vendor suggests in their guides etc . But I’ve been playing around with the idea of raising them to like 16 ? Thanks for your input bru

Top Bottom