Silicic Acid

• Thread starter kuz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I started doing this on my current grow as my little seedlings were not quite as resilient as normal. Really liked it, they seemed to pick up very nicely after the first dose so I give them one a week. And one a day for me and my heart health. Also started using GH's Armor SI last grow and like it.
Ive started adding aspirin 3x per grow now. Once first week, once 3rd week and once at flip to 12/12.

N

nightmarecreature

Ive done my research on Silicic acid. 16ppm is the magic number according to crop research. Aptus Fasilitor requires 0.6ml per gallon which comes out to almost exactly 16ppm.
Applications of silicic acid higher than 16ppm reduced crop yields. Cyco Silica is 3% monosilicic acid. I foliar spray it at around 200 ppm, giving me about 6ppm of silicic acid. Then I just spray twice a week in veg, giving me a little bit higher ppm of silicic acid. At $20 shipped, Im pretty happy with the results vs paying for Fasilitor.

Kygiacomo

Kygiacomo

Ive done my research on Silicic acid. 16ppm is the magic number according to crop research. Aptus Fasilitor requires 0.6ml per gallon which comes out to almost exactly 16ppm.
Applications of silicic acid higher than 16ppm reduced crop yields. Cyco Silica is 3% monosilicic acid. I foliar spray it at around 200 ppm, giving me about 6ppm of silicic acid. Then I just spray twice a week in veg, giving me a little bit higher ppm of silicic acid. At $20 shipped, Im pretty happy with the results vs paying for Fasilitor.
is this one from cyco the monosilicic acid nightmarecreature?
http://www.amazon.com/CyCO-Cyco-Sil...F8&qid=1459269806&sr=8-1&keywords=cyco+silica

N

nightmarecreature

When you say you spray it at 200 ppm, did you come to the 200 ppm number by measuring it with a PPM TDS meter or did you do the dilution maths?
Ppm TDS, off the top of my head, Im pretty sure 200 ppm is 3.8ml per gallon of the Cyco silica.

Quantrill

Quantrill

PPM TDS meters are just electrical conductivity meters that use one of several conversion factors to approximate concentration of a reference salt solution.
TDS - NaCl: 0.47 to 0.50
TDS - KCl: 0.50 to 0.57
TDS - 442: 0.65 to 0.85 ["442" refers to the combination of salts mixed with deionized water to comprise this standard: 40% sodium sulfate, 40% sodium bicarbonate, 20% sodium chloride.]

So as you can imagine, if you are measuring a solution other than the standard, for any of the conversion factors ,the measurement will have a high degree of error. Because different solutions at different concentrations conduct electricity better or worse than others.

Parts per million is a way to define concentration, think of it as a decimal just like percentage. Where 3 percent is the same as 3 parts per hundred, 0.03. Think of 3 ppm as 0.0003. So to figure dosage in the ppm concentration range from label guaranteed analysis percentages it is a simple dilution calculation.

Cyco Silica is 3% w/w Silicon(Si) according to their website.Which makes it ~6.42% SiO2. This would appear to be a 2.1 weight ratio SiO2:K2O potassium silicate solution, or in other words a diluted AgSil 21. It has a specific gravity of ~1.14 according to the data on the label.

With your product, to figure the mL/gallon dose needed to reach the said target of 16 ppm Si the math is as follows:

____(1/1.14)____
[(3 x 10)/3.785]/16

or about 1.78 mL per gallon

At your 3.8 mL dose you have been applying:
[(3x3.8)(10x1.14)]/3.785
~34 ppm Si

**always double check my maths**

xavier7995

xavier7995

Its good the cyco one is cheap, I chatted with one of their reps last 420 and good lord that is an overpriced nute lineup with too many little bottles of additives. That piece looks perfectly reasonable though:)

Will continue to just use a spoon/lighter to smash up asprin like i am a pillhead for my silicilic acid needs. Has anyone had dramatically different results using different brands of silica products? I always thought of silica as something just for hydro/coco folks and not necessary in soil, but saw someone using the 0sa28 products in organic soil with improved results and the osa28 guys chimed in on the ig message that yes, soil growers will see a benefit. Learn something new at least once a week...should be every day but I get high so...:smoking:

xavier7995

xavier7995

oh jeeze, yeah i sure do:) That will teach me to try and remember the name without actually looking.

N

nightmarecreature

PPM TDS meters are just electrical conductivity meters that use one of several conversion factors to approximate concentration of a reference salt solution.
TDS - 442: 0.65 to 0.85 ["442" refers to the combination of salts mixed with deionized water to comprise this standard: 40% sodium sulfate, 40% sodium bicarbonate, 20% sodium chloride.]

So as you can imagine, if you are measuring a solution other than the standard, for any of the conversion factors ,the measurement will have a high degree of error. Because different solutions at different concentrations conduct electricity better or worse than others.

Parts per million is a way to define concentration, think of it as a decimal just like percentage. Where 3 percent is the same as 3 parts per hundred, 0.03. Think of 3 ppm as 0.0003. So to figure dosage in the ppm concentration range from label guaranteed analysis percentages it is a simple dilution calculation.

Cyco Silica is 3% w/w Silicon(Si) according to their website.Which makes it ~6.42% SiO2. This would appear to be a 2.1 weight ratio SiO2:K2O potassium silicate solution, or in other words a diluted AgSil 21. It has a specific gravity of ~1.14 according to the data on the label.

With your product, to figure the mL/gallon dose needed to reach the said target of 16 ppm Si the math is as follows:

____(1/1.14)____
[(3 x 10)/3.785]/16

[(3x3.8)(10x1.14)]/3.785
~34 ppm Si

Thank you. More than 16ppm can kill the yield. Very informative.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
What kind of results are you seeing? Have you used a control?
Seeing much sturdier framework of the plants. Very noticeable when I am pinching stems to even out canopy. Not sure what you mean by "control" ??

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I've had quite the opposite results with the osa 28 and protek. I like the protek alot better. In the 4 yrs of running protek, I did osa a shot. 9 waterings in my veg cycle and I'm horribly unimpressed. Weak ass stems when supercropping to the point of a stem basically exploding compared the the protek I'm used to using. Some might like it, others not so much. I'm in the not so much category.

ken dog

ken dog

____(1/1.14)____
[(3 x 10)/3.785]/16

[(3x3.8)(10x1.14)]/3.785
~34 ppm Si

Is there an app for that?... LOL... Half joking really.

Maybe some sort of calculator that all you do is punch in the appropriate values.

N

nightmarecreature

Is there an app for that?... LOL... Half joking really.

Maybe some sort of calculator that all you do is punch in the appropriate values.
What are you talking about? He gave us the formula right there. A regular calculator can do it.

N

nightmarecreature

1 divided into 1.14=0.87719298
3*10/3.785/16=0.49537648
Then 0.87719298/0.49537648= 1.7707
1.77ml
Round 1.77 and you have 1.8ml

1.14 Specific Gravity
3.785=1 gallon
16 Desired ppm
3*10 is 3% of 100 which is percentage of mix.

Top Bottom