Sixstrings Led Cob Builds

• Thread starter sixstring
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

What is the smart timing dimmer function on the meanwells? I would like to be able to do a sunrise/sunset on and off down the line. Can I do that with an A, B or D2 driver?
its complicated,i think you need to buy meanwells programmer to make changes to the driver.most guys just use the B version drivers then something like a bluefish or even now you can get a trolmaster to do your dimming

im using this for my led drivers https://www.pacificlightconcepts.com/product-category/diy/wireless-control/

Freshone

Freshone

Hi! Do you happen to know the footprint? I know with the qb288's is 3'x3' for veg and 2'x2' for flower.[/QUOTE]
I think it depends how hard you push them,I think they can actually take up to 375 watts max with some fan cooling of the heatsinks but thats maxing them out too,Six is probably much more qualified to answer this.

D

Digger

Great thread. Have to agree COBs and QBs ROCK!!! They are the future. Here's a pic of my 1K watt COB rig.
Just love all aspects of this tech.
Thanks for the thread.
Stay safe!!!
Success w/ya grow!!!

Holy Shit!! Is that 20 COB's on 1000w in that big ass room? Holy Shit! Did I count that right?

sixstring

sixstring

Hi! Do you happen to know the footprint? I know with the qb288's is 3'x3' for veg and 2'x2' for flower.
I think it depends how hard you push them,I think they can actually take up to 375 watts max with some fan cooling of the heatsinks but thats maxing them out too,Six is probably much more qualified to answer this.[/QUOTE]
im not lol, i think your right push em hard can prob cover 3x3 @ 375w but i think @200w a 2x2 area is good. im talking flower numbers,for veg 200w would do a 3x3 i would guess

Toaster79

Toaster79

375W on a qb288 would mean 1.3W on a 0.3W chip. I would never do that no matter how good of a heatsinking you have. The problem is the package if the chip, the design. This chip has + and - pads that make sure to remove the heat. Since you cant short those to share the same surface area if the heatsink, you need to have a dielectric layer(electric and thermal insulator) between the pad and the sink. And this is where it all ends. You won't be able to remove enough heat from the chip in order to not get it degrade at a high rate. So 100k hours turn into 5-10k pretty quick.

There are not many chips/packages out there with a thermal pad that is neutral. I know Cree has been using it on several of their series. This allows for the neutral heat pad to be soldered directly to the heat sinking surface. For someone that is comming from the computer world where overlockingnis a routine, feature like that is a dream come true. Have that pad soldered directly to copper and you can run it at more than double the rated current. I still have a X-PG2 running at 2.5+ amp in a flashlight. Some went up to 5A using noctigon ir sinkpad direct thermal pad MCPCB

Store421 750x750
Cree xm l2 u3 6500k on 20mm sinkpad
Sinkpad direct thermal path  936921396972654400400

Homegrown365

Homegrown365

Holy Shit!! Is that 20 COB's on 1000w in that big ass room? Holy Shit! Did I count that right?
The rig is 3'x6' angle aluminum, supported/adjusted by a garage bicycle pulley. 5 rows of 4 Cree COBs. Checkout Homegrown365 on youtube to see COBs in action. HPS, CMH, etc, are things of the past, IMO. Some might argue not true, but when you take all aspects of LED COBs, QBs into account; electricity, HVAC, longevity of LED vs bulbs, product quality (I've lowered the rig as close to 8" above canopy), light control-ability(setting sunrise/sunset dimming of COBs). Sorry, but I ramble. I could go on. That's how impressed I am w/COBs.

IMG 2083
D

Digger

The rig is 3'x6' angle aluminum, supported/adjusted by a garage bicycle pulley. 5 rows of 4 Cree COBs. Checkout Homegrown365 on youtube to see COBs in action. HPS, CMH, etc, are things of the past, IMO. Some might argue not true, but when you take all aspects of LED COBs, QBs into account; electricity, HVAC, longevity of LED vs bulbs, product quality (I've lowered the rig as close to 8" above canopy), light control-ability(setting sunrise/sunset dimming of COBs). Sorry, but I ramble. I could go on. That's how impressed I am w/COBs.

Thats awesome! Thanks for replying.

sixstring

sixstring

375W on a qb288 would mean 1.3W on a 0.3W chip. I would never do that no matter how good of a heatsinking you have. The problem is the package if the chip, the design. This chip has + and - pads that make sure to remove the heat. Since you cant short those to share the same surface area if the heatsink, you need to have a dielectric layer(electric and thermal insulator) between the pad and the sink. And this is where it all ends. You won't be able to remove enough heat from the chip in order to not get it degrade at a high rate. So 100k hours turn into 5-10k pretty quick.

There are not many chips/packages out there with a thermal pad that is neutral. I know Cree has been using it on several of their series. This allows for the neutral heat pad to be soldered directly to the heat sinking surface. For someone that is comming from the computer world where overlockingnis a routine, feature like that is a dream come true. Have that pad soldered directly to copper and you can run it at more than double the rated current. I still have a X-PG2 running at 2.5+ amp in a flashlight. Some went up to 5A using noctigon ir sinkpad direct thermal pad MCPCB

View attachment 833745 View attachment 833746 View attachment 833747

We we're talking about the new elite bords from hlg at 375w not the qb288,but yeah
:cool:

P

Pass2TheLeft

I looked into buying diy cobbs but i found if i imported cobbs already setup was actually cheaper im running 9xveros per light on meanwell drivers and can swap chips for cree 3590s which ive done on some to compare veros and 3590s.
I run luma 9s and im finding that they far out produce my 1000w gravitas the results are amazing last grow i got 25 dry oz per plant this grow im aiming for 32 per plant im really amazed by the results so far im in week 1 of flower at the moment and there on track to get 2lb per plant best thing i ever did going to cobbs

Freshone

Freshone

Thats awesome! Thanks for replying.
Dont quote me but i think i heard steven say that the new boards CAN be driven that hard but the kits they will sell are like 95 watts.
I looked into buying diy cobbs but i found if i imported cobbs already setup was actually cheaper im running 9xveros per light on meanwell drivers and can swap chips for cree 3590s which ive done on some to compare veros and 3590s.
I run luma 9s and im finding that they far out produce my 1000w gravitas the results are amazing last grow i got 25 dry oz per plant this grow im aiming for 32 per plant im really amazed by the results so far im in week 1 of flower at the moment and there on track to get 2lb per plant best thing i ever did going to cobbs
Wow pretty strong endorsement,gavitas always kicked ass for me,i can only hope!
Anybody knows what chips exactly are used there?
Luminous and lumilux or something like that.He showed the spectrum and theres alot of reds.I kind of got the feeling they were meant as more supplemental but could also be run on their own also but i could be wrong on that.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Dont quote me but i think i heard steven say that the new boards CAN be driven that hard but the kits they will sell are like 95 watts.

Wow pretty strong endorsement,gavitas always kicked ass for me,i can only hope!

Luminus and lumilux or something like that.He showed the spectrum and theres alot of reds.I kind of got the feeling they were meant as more supplemental but could also be run on their own also but i could be wrong on that.

Luminous doesn't tell me much as there are too many different models. Just like you would say they use Cree.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Top Bottom