Sixstrings Led Cob Builds

• Thread starter sixstring
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
reddwarf

reddwarf

Gavitas do kick ass bro,but he said gravitas,and those actually suck balls compared to cobz :cool:
Hello Six, I just purchased this.
https://www.rapidled.com/cxb3590-3-x-3-grow-kit/
Should I run the dimmer half way or the brightest setting? I mean how do you run yours. I'm assuming all the way up or the brightest setting, you get 50 watts from each cob. Thank you so much and for posting the link to Rapid LED.

sixstring

sixstring

Hello Six, I just purchased this.
https://www.rapidled.com/cxb3590-3-x-3-grow-kit/
Should I run the dimmer half way or the brightest setting? I mean how do you run yours. I'm assuming all the way up or the brightest setting, you get 50 watts from each cob. Thank you so much and for posting the link to Rapid LED.
well during veg you could run it half throttle,but in flower i would run that puppy wide open. WOT for @Tmag :cool:

Tmag

Tmag

yep..... pritty Rad eh?
i been a silent trumpster since about 2014 when he was speaking at the Cpac 2014 speech
but when i came out of the closet in 2016 all who acted like my friend killed me off in vicious attacks and slander.
its been a weird past couple of years
but weird as it may seem T'mag is a my nick name since 2009 (trichome magnifier)

so now i just say to never trumpers that scream at me "the end is near"!
" me not know? soon history will tell the truth and i'm just a speck'tatar these dayz
Trump' Make America Great

cool thing is trump weed and hemp companies are coming online and we are all grouping up.
nothing wrong with a little friendly competition...... geeez humans! ya dont have to get violent about it
i promise im friendly and hear to help humanity

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Nice thread dude and nice setups guys. I am trying to do a diy myself and was wondering if i could run 7x25 watts cbx1830s (rated 53 w max. at 1400ma, i will run them super soft at 700ma) on a heatsink that has the dimensions of 1000mmx110mmx12mm without any fans. Now these heatsinks are pretty thin but i want something light. It has 22 fins. I am planing on using holders and termal paste. But i really don’t want to hook up fans on this rig.
The total will run up to 525w and it will be 175w per heatsink. What do you think @sixstring ?
Do i need fans?

Last edited:
sixstring

sixstring

Nice thread dude and nice setups guys. I am trying to do a diy myself and was wondering if i could run 7x25 watts cbx1830s (rated 53 w max. at 1400ma, i will run them super soft at 700ma) on a heatsink that has the dimensions of 1000mmx110mmx12mm without any fans. Now these heatsinks are pretty thin but i want something light. It has 22 fins. I am planing on using holders and termal paste. But i really don’t want to hook up fans on this rig.
The total will run up to 525w and it will be 175w per heatsink. What do you think @sixstring ?
Do i need fans?
that heatsink sounds big,can you post a pic of it ?

reddwarf

reddwarf

yep..... pritty Rad eh?
i been a silent trumpster since about 2014 when he was speaking at the Cpac 2014 speech
but when i came out of the closet in 2016 all who acted like my friend killed me off in vicious attacks and slander.
its been a weird past couple of years
but weird as it may seem T'mag is a my nick name since 2009 (trichome magnifier)

so now i just say to never trumpers that scream at me "the end is near"!
" me not know? soon history will tell the truth and i'm just a speck'tatar these dayz
Trump' Make America Great

cool thing is trump weed and hemp companies are coming online and we are all grouping up.
nothing wrong with a little friendly competition...... geeez humans! ya dont have to get violent about it
i promise im friendly and hear to help humanity
3 words to tell a democrat. DOES NOT COMPUTE! hahahahahaha MAGA

Toaster79

Toaster79

that heatsink sounds big,can you post a pic of it ?

1000mm is standard length. Sometimes you'll find extrusions in length of 2m and up to 6m length. I ordered 195mm width and 10mm height cut to 500mm and 600mm length. But those normally come in 1m length.

4x 195x600mm 10mm height

IMG 20180503 201806 490

Toaster79

Toaster79

i think his plan for 175w per heatsink sounds good without fans,what do you think toast ?

Should work perfect. With 7 sources heat will spread evenly through the heatsink, besides he'll be running them pretty soft .

Im running about 50W max on each of those with no air movement just natural convection and have a temp probe stuck directly behind a row of chips. Highest temp measured was 43°C and the air can't escape past the probe so should be a few degrees lower. I'll take a pic when I get back home.

Could probably add another 140W to use the whole surface.

Edit: found a shitty pic and its actually 44°C at 140W

20181005 182710

Also power dropped 7W once the temperature stabilised. If I had them boards wired parallel it would be the other way around.

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
i think his plan for 175w per heatsink sounds good without fans,what do you think toast ?
Should work perfect. With 7 sources heat will spread evenly through the heatsink, besides he'll be running them pretty soft .

Im running about 50W max on each of those with no air movement just natural convection and have a temp probe stuck directly behind a row of chips. Highest temp measured was 43°C and the air can't escape past the probe so should be a few degrees lower. I'll take a pic when I get back home.

Could probably add another 140W to use the whole surface.

Edit: found a shitty pic and its actually 44°C at 140W

View attachment 835266

Also power dropped 7W once the temperature stabilised. If I had them boards wired parallel it would be the other way around.
Thanks guys, i will take a pic of the heatsinks with the chips placed on there to give an idea about the layout once i get home.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
It is gonna be something like this, maybe with lenses or reflectors but definitely with better spacing :) waiting for cob holders at the moment. Also 2 heatsinks are on top of each other in the pic so it will be half as thick when finished.
C460BA89 5363 4348 A3A0 5542A64267C3
6C8AEC15 A173 4186 86C9 7ABCA6B01587
C7EE7DC8 5191 410E 9427 59DDC6D63FBD

D

Digger

I wonder if LEDGARDENER is going to do a review of those new qb's? The small ones going on sale the 26th or something like that.

D

Digger

Do i need fans?

1000mm is standard length. Sometimes you'll find extrusions in length of 2m and up to 6m length. I ordered 195mm width and 10mm height cut to 500mm and 600mm length. But those normally come in 1m length.

4x 195x600mm 10mm height

View attachment 835260

Where's a good place to get heatsinks?

Top Bottom