Skunk Qabbage-AKbeanbrains-Earth Boxes-Living organic soil

• Thread starter stp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stp

stp

Thank you! I’ve been worried since I hung the light and realized how much space the exhaust is taking up. There’s been a bunch of incorrect moves, the original, original being location of the tent. The ceilings aren’t high enough for the extension. All valuable but not crushing lessons. I have to decide and move soon, because at this point and over the next week, I think I’ll be ok. Much bigger vegging and I could have troubles. I will go from cups to boxes next time. I used root riot cubes etc and happy frog to germ in because my soil formula isn’t for seedlings. I’ve mixed a lighter formula now and by then, it should be optimal for whatever I put in it. At least by my thinking. I’ll also just make cubes from the lighter formula. If needed I would go from germ tray to 1 gal first plastic, then into box. I think I’ll be fine from cube to box though.

The cube and the happy frog were a mistake with the end medium being what it is. It took some adjustment at first keep the cube and happy frog properly moist. That’s all fine now though.
Im using root riots now, went from those (soaked in a ph adjusted water and lightly squeezed) then to solo cups with some Sungro Organic African Violet potting soil and their Organic seedling mix. Wasn’t my plan to use random bag soil from nursery but these bags are sealed better than the big bags and kept inside the nursery, the soil is dry in the bags too, so there’s no noticeable gnats or holes that allowed bugs to crawl in and make homes. I of course saturate that soil with Rootwise and peach extract mixed in water.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Im using root riots now, went from those (soaked in a ph adjusted water and lightly squeezed) then to solo cups with some Sungro Organic African Violet potting soil and their Organic seedling mix. Wasn’t my plan to use random bag soil from nursery but these bags are sealed better than the big bags and kept inside the nursery, the soil is dry in the bags too, so there’s no noticeable gnats or holes that allowed bugs to crawl in and make homes. I of course saturate that soil with Rootwise and peach extract mixed in water.
I was budget worried, especially since it was the holiday and I’d gotten a few essential things I could from the Amazon store (I can’t get FedEx, they can’t find me). In the couple days since I’ve read this thread and been talking to you, I’ve ordered the RootWise combo pack, and the peach extract and overnight shipped it to my sisters house (my brother in law hates that 🤷‍♂️). I had too. It will ship in a day or two and be here soon. I am listening and learning and fully committed. It’s not where or why it started. It’s where I am though. Happily. I’ll get the rest of the way.

Edit: BAS Amazon store, knowing it would come UPS or mail. They don’t carry everything there though.

Reactions: stp
SC69

SC69

Supporter
If WE (haha) decide I’m not going in the boxes now, none of it is wasted and can be used now anyway. I do want to find a way in them. I don’t know which video but I saw a decent sized plant go in one, albeit not with my starting soil volume. I’ll just shake or knock some out. Strangely enough, that idea doesn’t scare or bother me. Probably naive, just something I read and saw early on.

Maybe I got confusing. The solo cups were happy frog. They’re in Vermont compost Jolly Roger which I plan on mixing (maybe) with their lighter mix, Fort Vee, which I’ll now make the cubes from and start in.

side note and not meant to anger people. I know there is disagreement across the board. Now that I know I can actually do it, pretty easily, I want to start from seed. I have offered a few friends cuttings, if they come teach me to clone them (they can take them anyway), but that would be just for me to give out. My plans for 2-3 years from now (I know, slow down), is to find my 3-4 favs and grow just those, from seeds I’ll have them provide for me. If I find I do actually want a constantly running operation of bud, I’ll need a 3rd tent I guess for that. Just smaller. I don’t plan on running in the summer. We run crazy power without central air here in the country. AC’s in all the windows haha. I’ll go outside in the 30gals. I can and will run a light powerful enough for cover crop and soil life etc. They could go outside too in theory. I’d just need help getting them down and out, but it would end up infected with bugs. Either way after this run everything is coming down. I’ve yet to decide if it’s to the basement for the height, or the downstairs bedroom next to mine for convenience and back/leg health…I’m an aging dude full of rods and screws.

Last edited:
stp

stp

I’m running a Home Depot 4’ led shop light by general whoever they sell, basic…35w for my little clone and veg tent now. Not sure it’s ideal but I have been fully resisting the idea of a second tent and here I fucking am…growing from seed each time got old fast.

Observationist

Observationist

Clones
I’m running a Home Depot 4’ led shop light by general whoever they sell, basic…35w for my little clone and veg tent now. Not sure it’s ideal but I have been fully resisting the idea of a second tent and here I fucking am…growing from seed each time got old fast.
afaik, clones really don’t need a lot of light, just enough energy to drive the processes.

that is why most use T5s, weaker lights for cuts/seedlings

SC69

SC69

Supporter
So, you probably know that will happen to me too and it’s just an idea in my head. Right now, even knowing I do need a veg tent, because if I don’t want to run in the summer, I have to get two through during fall and winter, I just don’t have the cash. I mean, I have it physically etc. haha. I just need to process all of this, especially it all being since October and also during the holiday. My account looks like I’m living care free and high on the hog. I don’t have it like that. I’ll get it. Probably sooner than I think. There was one in a cart in early December but I had to back off.

this is all priceless for me. I couldn’t pay for this advice and advance knowledge. ✌️

Are we thinking I’m stubborn if I just try the boxes and see what happens? Haha. I’ll leave them 2 weeks before I flip. I’ll deal with what it brings. There are still 2 that won’t have a box and will just stay where they are on the edges. I’ll play with those, top, bend a bit, and just use them as experience doing those things.

Not a horrible plan?

stp

stp

So, you probably know that will happen to me too and it’s just an idea in my head. Right now, even knowing I do need a veg tent, because if I don’t want to run in the summer, I have to get two through during fall and winter, I just don’t have the cash. I mean, I have it physically etc. haha. I just need to process all of this, especially it all being since October and also during the holiday. My account looks like I’m living care free and high on the hog. I don’t have it like that. I’ll get it. Probably sooner than I think. There was one in a cart in early December but I had to back off.

this is all priceless for me. I couldn’t pay for this advice and advance knowledge. ✌️

Are we thinking I’m stubborn if I just try the boxes and see what happens? Haha. I’ll leave them 2 weeks before I flip. I’ll deal with what it brings. There are still 2 that won’t have a box and will just stay where they are on the edges. I’ll play with those, top, bend a bit, and just use them as experience doing those things.

Not a horrible plan?
Not if you are willing to deal with the shock or possible loss but so they may not do much in a week or two in their new homes….

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Clones

afaik, clones really don’t need a lot of light, just enough energy to drive the processes.

that is why most use T5s, weaker lights for cuts/seedlings
I’ve seen that too, I just haven’t worried about them yet, other than thinking I should find some, but also didn’t really want to do that not knowing the conditions they’re from. I’m glad I didn’t. I just had no faith in my ability to germ a seed. Which, as we all know, isn’t exactly rocket science. You are probably both laughing at me thinking, “in a month the dude is gonna have a veg tent and a mother sitting next to one. 🤣

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Not if you are willing to deal with the shock or possible loss but so they may not do much in a week or two in their new homes….
I can say I’m willing to deal with the loss but that’s not actually true, as I’m sure you’ve guessed. I’m willing to take a chance on slowing, but not killing. If it’s going to kill them, I won’t do it. I don’t actually have to knock away soil, which I do know will cause a bunch of shock. At the same time, I know people cut and cris cross roots all the time. I mean, I’m not going to do that, but I’ve seen it done etc. I can get them in there and just mound around it. It won’t spill over.

I know it’s strange and I’m really just joking with “if we decide” etc but if you’re warning me, I do have to listen!!

Observationist

Observationist

I can say I’m willing to deal with the loss but that’s not actually true, as I’m sure you’ve guessed. I’m willing to take a chance on slowing, but not killing. If it’s going to kill them, I won’t do it. I don’t actually have to knock away soil, which I do know will cause a bunch of shock. At the same time, I know people cut and cris cross roots all the time. I mean, I’m not going to do that, but I’ve seen it done etc. I can get them in there and just mound around it. It won’t spill over.

I know it’s strange and I’m really just joking with “if we decide” etc but if you’re warning me, I do have to listen!!
the plants are hardy as fuck.

stp

stp

You

I know it’s strange and I’m really just joking with “if we decide” etc but if you’re warning me, I do have to listen!

You could probably dunk them in a bucket of water and practically wash off all the soil and get them to come back in their new homes just as roots but that would be an experiment. Like I said earlier, one of mine in a 6” pot during transplant lost 80% of the soil and some roots broke off and she survived just fine.

Observationist

Observationist

You

You could probably dunk them in a bucket of water and practically wash off all the soil and get them to come back in their new homes just as roots but that would be an experiment. Like I said earlier, one of mine in a 6” pot during transplant lost 80% of the soil and some roots broke off and she survived just fine.

in my very brief time working with cannabis plants, they can take alot of abuse.

and adapt well.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
You

Whatever happens it’s not until tomorrow. Soil going in boxes now. All 5 wicks set in. Will water 5% now, and maybe 5% in a bit. Transplant tomorrow afternoon.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Compress that soil good in the corners where it’s the wick action
I did. Really tight. I thought I was watering it pretty slowly with a too small for most things sprayer, but it still ran off a bit in the bottom. They’re full of soil now. I just have to water it in. I’m going to start with 5%.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
in my very brief time working with cannabis plants, they can take alot of abuse.

and adapt well.
Compress that soil good in the corners where it’s the wick action
I just came down from putting in some water. 10% is approx 96-100oz. I am starting with 5% so went up to do 48oz. I ended up stopping at 15oz each to let it settle. I’ll have to do it a few times I guess. I do feel it went in evenly and I used Yuca etc. So it begins….

stp

stp

I did. Really tight. I thought I was watering it pretty slowly with a too small for most things sprayer, but it still ran off a bit in the bottom. They’re full of soil now. I just have to water it in. I’m going to start with 5%.
You are supposed to water from top down the first two times but the goal is to get the roots looking for water, downward.

stp

stp

I just came down from putting in some water. 10% is approx 96-100oz. I am starting with 5% so went up to do 48oz. I ended up stopping at 15oz each to let it settle. I’ll have to do it a few times I guess. I do feel it went in evenly and I used Yuca etc. So it begins….
Why 10% water? When I filled the res below I filled it and I keep it full now that it’s full of roots! I never gave it 10%, where you getting that from?

SC69

SC69

Supporter
You are supposed to water from top down the first two times but the goal is to get the roots looking for water, downward.
I did water from the top. He says 10%, half at a time. He did 5% one day and 5% the next. It just took them all this time (most of it with some time to settle), to soak that, and there’s still dryness at top. As I expected. I’m not filling the reservoir until after they’re in it. I’m just following him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom