Skunk Qabbage-AKbeanbrains-Earth Boxes-Living organic soil

• Thread starter stp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Thank you!! I’m just at the point where I’m willing to just risk it. I didn’t think I could germ a seed. They were soaking in water and I was still texting a stranger 100 miles away for clones. They popped, I knew the soil I wanted to use, and had the larger containers. Haha. It still changed a bunch but I’m here. 8 weeks and a day later.
Freakin gorgeous my dude!

stp

stp

Thank you!! I’m just at the point where I’m willing to just risk it. I didn’t think I could germ a seed. They were soaking in water and I was still texting a stranger 100 miles away for clones. They popped, I knew the soil I wanted to use, and had the larger containers. Haha. It still changed a bunch but I’m here. 8 weeks and a day later.
I grew the same way, but I put clear plastic catch pans under those raised drain grates.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
those look so awesome! Indica? You are not going to top them I assume?
They are hybrids, leaning indica yea. In my head I’m a sativa guy, but the commercial stuff and even dispensary stuff I end up picking is usually a hybrid. I just don’t want a “couch lock” thing. Sometimes of course.

I planned on toppin at 9th node, just a book I’d read, and a video. I know there are tons of opinions. I’m afraid of it still so maybe not all. There’s still only 5 boxes and 7 plants. I’m likely not doing any LST right now though. If I’m moving ahead with these girls, and I broke one of them, I’d not be able to handle it. lmao. That will all come as I get more comfortable. Eventually I’ll learn to fill a tent. I know I will because I’m here. ✌️

Observationist

Observationist

They are hybrids, leaning indica yea. In my head I’m a sativa guy, but the commercial stuff and even dispensary stuff I end up picking is usually a hybrid. I just don’t want a “couch lock” thing. Sometimes of course.

I planned on toppin at 9th node, just a book I’d read, and a video. I know there are tons of opinions. I’m afraid of it still so maybe not all. There’s still only 5 boxes and 7 plants. I’m likely not doing any LST right now though. If I’m moving ahead with these girls, and I broke one of them, I’d not be able to handle it. lmao. That will all come as I get more comfortable. Eventually I’ll learn to fill a tent. I know I will because I’m here. ✌️
you can really top where and whenever you want depending how tall you want the plant.

you can take the top and light bend it down as well if you want to top, and grow it more laterally

the first pick is the main, apical stem bent down, the second is a lower brand bent own, allowed light to hit the undergrowth.

the 3 picture is where i finally decided to top it, i fuckin broke the second one growing off.

the 4th pic is where i topped it again so i can have the 2 branches, fuck you plant.

so i got them back lol.

Last edited:
stp

stp

I top early because I want more bush left to right than I do vertical. Most indoor growers growing in tents have limited heights and with lights, you can be too big too late…some strains produce fat cola buds when left alone, and if you are going to veg less and flip to flower sooner, you can go more plants and not top them and get nice results if you load the tent up. I have 4’x4’ and I have done (4) 5 gallon pots, could have done larger pots but the plants filled that tent and I can’t imagine any more than that in my tent. But with more plants comes more pots to water more things to check and I just wanted to get one or two plants to fill my tent and that’s it…

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I top early because I want more bush left to right than I do vertical. Most indoor growers growing in tents have limited heights and with lights, you can be too big too late…some strains produce fat cola buds when left alone, and if you are going to veg less and flip to flower sooner, you can go more plants and not top them and get nice results if you load the tent up. I have 4’x4’ and I have done (4) 5 gallon pots, could have done larger pots but the plants filled that tent and I can’t imagine any more than that in my tent. But with more plants comes more pots to water more things to check and I just wanted to get one or two plants to fill my tent and that’s it…
These past couple days I’ve gotten the best bits of what I need to hear. I may just flip these and go. It won’t give me enough to last long but it was never going to yet. I’m off to a pretty good start, and can make those corrections next run. You bring up an excellent point with my waiting to top. I am not going to have the room. I’m underestimating how tall they’ll get. I can’t put the extension on the tent in the room up there and I have a size up fan for the tent. Losing a couple inches there too.

I think maybe it’s right that I should flip and power through. Even transplant wait a couple days and flip. Better chance and less worry in the box. I think that’s what I’ll do. Not top and just get them rooted in the box and go.

I don’t think I asked this here, I did in my diary (strange as it may be, it’s me..ha)

can I cut some of those big fan leaves I know are blocking some stuff near the tops from light, now? Not worth it if I’m going to just root and flip? I realize these may seem like silly questions. Sometimes they are as much, “help me choose” as, can I?

✌️

Observationist

Observationist

you can really top where and whenever you want depending how tall you want the plant.

you can take the top and light bend it down as well if you want to top, and grow it more laterally.

These past couple days I’ve gotten the best bits of what I need to hear. I may just flip these and go. It won’t give me enough to last long but it was never going to yet. I’m off to a pretty good start, and can make those corrections next run. You bring up an excellent point with my waiting to top. I am not going to have the room. I’m underestimating how tall they’ll get. I can’t put the extension on the tent in the room up there and I have a size up fan for the tent. Losing a couple inches there too.

I think maybe it’s right that I should flip and power through. Even transplant wait a couple days and flip. Better chance and less worry in the box. I think that’s what I’ll do. Not top and just get them rooted in the box and go.

I don’t think I asked this here, I did in my diary (strange as it may be, it’s me..ha)

can I cut some of those big fan leaves I know are blocking some stuff near the tops from light, now? Not worth it if I’m going to just root and flip? I realize these may seem like silly questions. Sometimes they are as much, “help me choose” as, can I?

✌️
you can flip it,id still bend the top down so the undergrowth will get light.

SC69

SC69

Supporter

you can take the top and light bend it down as well if you want to top, and grow it more laterally

the first pick is the main, apical stem bent down, the second is a lower brand bent own, allowed light to hit the undergrowth.

the 3 picture is where i finally decided to top it, i fuckin broke the second one growing off.

the 4th pic is where i topped it again so i can have the 2 branches, fuck you plant.

so i got them back lol.
See, man. I am scared to death. Haha. I know I said I’m willing to lose them and start over for the benefit of the soil, but if that’s not happening, breaking one, or worse, would be devastating. I am a hippie born under cancer. I do know they can be mended though. I’ve seen.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
you can flip it,id still bend the top down so the undergrowth will get light.
I will for sure. I’ve got a little bit of time to let them go and decide fully. I do think the advice I’m getting is right. I’m in a good spot for a total noob and anything could happen at anytime. Even flipping now, I get it. I keep saying I will improve next time and I believe it, but I’m kind of there on this step. One at a time. Next run I top and bend sooner. Get in the boxes from smaller plastic pots etc. You guys and the people in my diary are so great!!

SC69

SC69

Supporter
My friends and some family, who are fully expecting to enjoy any fruits of my labor, are simply not interested in even hearing about it. I of course know they can’t help me but sometimes just talking it out, I come up with my own answer. They’re bored. Roll their eyes. Wait till they see the subscription plan pricing...🤣🤣🤣

stp

stp

That is rice hull to help keep the top of soil from drying, which was happening really quickly. It will amend back in and
See, man. I am scared to death. Haha. I know I said I’m willing to lose them and start over for the benefit of the soil, but if that’s not happening, breaking one, or worse, would be devastating. I am a hippie born under cancer. I do know they can be mended though. I’ve seen.
topping is easy, you can’t fuck it up. I mean, if you do, they named a technique after it (FIM). I use those little cuticle scissors for my cuts, or I’ll just pinch tops off savagely with my bare hands…both work and there’s no issues.

stp

stp

✌️
So those fabric pots are going to now go to earth boxes? Next time, skip fabric pots as a step up from however you start them and go from sprout, to solo cups or 4” pots, to earth boxes. Fabric pots suck to transplant from too…I’d transplant and wait for the roots to get to the water, then start trimming and flip. My plants were 3’ tall before I flipped. These look like what, 12” now?

SC69

SC69

Supporter
So those fabric pots are going to now go to earth boxes? Next time, skip fabric pots as a step up from however you start them and go from sprout, to solo cups or 4” pots, to earth boxes. Fabric pots suck to transplant from too…I’d transplant and wait for the roots to get to the water, then start trimming and flip. My plants were 3’ tall before I flipped. These look like what, 12” now?
Yea, I never wanted them. The were supposed to be one gallon plastic someone had for me. I couldn’t leave the house and they weren’t even comfortable leaving them on the porch. I couldn’t argue and had these in the garage. I’d already given away the original 7 gal root trapper pots I was going to use all the way through, and ordered the 30’s. I decided that was too much for me to handle if they had to be moved etc. I’ll use them outside.

I had some outdoor plants that really didn’t go well over the summer. Just a friend dropped off clones, said he’d come help me care for them and never came back. Another friend convinced me they had to be transplanted into bigger pots, he was right but the process was frightening. The roots were literally ripped from the fabric. i knew nothing but didn’t think that could be good. That whole experience is what jump started this. Guilt and the need to succeed.

I plan on cutting the pots up, gently, and rolling it out….somehow. So, I agree with you both and a great member in my diary who also says to just flip and worry less about topping and LST right now. Get one thing down, move to the next. I’m getting to where I agree, and was missing how much time is already in them. I was never trying to “fill the tent” here anyway. Your thinking is right on with mine about the whole thing. Get in the boxes for the benefit, and flip asap after.

I am so worried about making sure the light stays at 30”. I need to next start wondering when, how, and where to increase to. I have never actually thought to measure the plants. 12” sounds about right and I have to know now. I have plenty of room for them to double or probably triple now. There could become an issue though. Although many make out just fine. Probably because they flip at the right time. Haha. Closer!!

SC69

SC69

Supporter
So the 6 are all 11-13”. Dude looks like a lady in the back is 17.5. Guess this is kind of answering my light question that they can handle a bit more now. It’s much closer and fine. I’m so tempted to say that’s the lone surviving GSC I lost track of in original transplant. I went back through pics and thought I ruled her out on position the whole time. I still don’t know. If it is a male trait, maybe that’s what’s happening. But everything is different. Internodes much longer etc.

stp

stp

Yea, I never wanted them. The were supposed to be one gallon plastic someone had for me. I couldn’t leave the house and they weren’t even comfortable leaving them on the porch. I couldn’t argue and had these in the garage. I’d already given away the original 7 gal root trapper pots I was going to use all the way through, and ordered the 30’s. I decided that was too much for me to handle if they had to be moved etc. I’ll use them outside.

I had some outdoor plants that really didn’t go well over the summer. Just a friend dropped off clones, said he’d come help me care for them and never came back. Another friend convinced me they had to be transplanted into bigger pots, he was right but the process was frightening. The roots were literally ripped from the fabric. i knew nothing but didn’t think that could be good. That whole experience is what jump started this. Guilt and the need to succeed.

I plan on cutting the pots up, gently, and rolling it out….somehow. So, I agree with you both and a great member in my diary who also says to just flip and worry less about topping and LST right now. Get one thing down, move to the next. I’m getting to where I agree, and was missing how much time is already in them. I was never trying to “fill the tent” here anyway. Your thinking is right on with mine about the whole thing. Get in the boxes for the benefit, and flip asap after.

I am so worried about making sure the light stays at 30”. I need to next start wondering when, how, and where to increase to. I have never actually thought to measure the plants. 12” sounds about right and I have to know now. I have plenty of room for them to double or probably triple now. There could become an issue though. Although many make out just fine. Probably because they flip at the right time. Haha. Closer!!
Yeah, you have earth box height, plus plant height, plus light spacing, and the unknown stretch when you flip, so…you got some math and measuring to do. Your available height plays into how long you can veg and if you need to top or LST. lights can get closer as flower progresses, you still do not want to be much closer than 12”-18” at the end.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Yeah, you have earth box height, plus plant height, plus light spacing, and the unknown stretch when you flip, so…you got some math and measuring to do. Your available height plays into how long you can veg and if you need to top or LST. lights can get closer as flower progresses, you still do not want to be much closer than 12”-18” at the end.
Thank you! I’ve been worried since I hung the light and realized how much space the exhaust is taking up. There’s been a bunch of incorrect moves, the original, original being location of the tent. The ceilings aren’t high enough for the extension. All valuable but not crushing lessons. I have to decide and move soon, because at this point and over the next week, I think I’ll be ok. Much bigger vegging and I could have troubles. I will go from cups to boxes next time. I used root riot cubes etc and happy frog to germ in because my soil formula isn’t for seedlings. I’ve mixed a lighter formula now and by then, it should be optimal for whatever I put in it. At least by my thinking. I’ll also just make cubes from the lighter formula. If needed I would go from germ tray to 1 gal first plastic, then into box. I think I’ll be fine from cube to box though.

The cube and the happy frog were a mistake with the end medium being what it is. It took some adjustment at first keep the cube and happy frog properly moist. That’s all fine now though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom