So, I Made A Tincture. Now What?

• Thread starter OldSmokie76
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dan789

Dan789

That idea seems great. I’m really not making much to legitimise buying that kind of equipment tho..
Are you using 100% alcohol? Isn’t the clearest drinkable you can get 96%. Anything over that is processed with a known carcinogen “benzene” as far as i know. At least around here.
https://organicalcohol.com/, here’s their site, I’ve purchased the 200 proof=100% alcohol, as the 150 proof everclear has been legislated down to 120 proof (here in California). Not sure the how of their distillation works to 100%. Works for me, it wrings everything out of my MJ and that’s the whole idea, to maximize the potency of the tincture...
I’ve scrapped the idea of recovering the alcohol, as I don’t see the savings versus the extra costs. I do reduce it by 30% or so by boiling off some of the alcohol.

CFD7A001 F1B8 44BD B159 277102F92FD5
Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
https://organicalcohol.com/, here’s their site, I’ve purchased the 200 proof=100% alcohol, as the 150 proof everclear has been legislated down to 120 proof (here in California). Not sure the how of their distillation works to 100%. Works for me, it wrings everything out of my MJ and that’s the whole idea, to maximize the potency of the tincture...
I’ve scrapped the idea of recovering the alcohol, as I don’t see the savings versus the extra costs. I do reduce it by 30% or so by boiling off some of the alcohol.

Yeah i’ve checked this stuff out and it seems they add terpenes or essential oils or something to evaporate the remaining water. 96% is fine for me but 100% should be much easier to evaporate. Especially for shatter or budder etc. this is better for sure. Thanks for the link i’m sure some will benefit from it. I live outside the US so sadly 96 will have to do for me :)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Did you decarboxilate the weed before making the tincture? If not it probably wont be psychoactive.

quirk

quirk

Ohh, I'll be sure to share my results. Hmmmm, unknown potency budder for breakfast. Sounds like a hell of a Saturday morning to me. LMAO. So with the tincture. I'm not set up for a heat evaporation. I could, but curious if a cold evaporation by allowing the jar to set open in front of a fan is sufficient. In the garage? Lazy man approach. Haha. I'd probably place a piece of silk screen in the lid opening to breath and no contaminants.
OldSmokie76- Before I purchased a Source Extractor I would reduce my tincture volume by evaporation in a dark cupboard at room temp. I use the Everclear/freezer method, 13-15 grams flower to 8oz. Everclear, the evaporate down to 4oz. Took 8-12 days in my house. I'm not smart enough to boil it off. Murphy's law would rear it's ugly head. I put 2ml tinc and half gram of the stripped bud/rosin pucks in a cup of yogurt and ingest every night 2hrs. before lights out and I do mean lights out.

DSCN0086 2
DSCN0859
DSCN0093
DSCN0861
DSCN1738 2
DSCN0872 2
DSCN0113 2
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76- Before I purchased a Source Extractor I would reduce my tincture volume by evaporation in a dark cupboard at room temp. I use the Everclear/freezer method, 13-15 grams flower to 8oz. Everclear, the evaporate down to 4oz. Took 8-12 days in my house. I'm not smart enough to boil it off. Murphy's law would rear it's ugly head. I put 2ml tinc and half gram of the stripped bud/rosin pucks in a cup of yogurt and ingest every night 2hrs. before lights out and I do mean lights out.
My tincture was ok. I didn't reduce it before I tried using it sublingual. It was not very potent. At which point I attempted reducing it to sludge for e juice. Not very practical. E juice better derived from a quick wash and evaporation instead of the multi week soak. Live and learn. I can see how a reduced tincture on its own can be effective. Sounds like you have your meds figured out. Lol.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

My tincture was ok. I didn't reduce it before I tried using it sublingual. It was not very potent. At which point I attempted reducing it to sludge for e juice. Not very practical. E juice better derived from a quick wash and evaporation instead of the multi week soak. Live and learn. I can see how a reduced tincture on its own can be effective. Sounds like you have your meds figured out. Lol.

You can use it to make caps. I use to cook coconut oil and flower together. Pretty good results but how much was I leaving in the plant material? The last batch I did a 24 hr alcohol extract, evaporated the alcohol and cooked the oil and sludge in a mini crock pot for a few hours to incorporate. Best caps yet and was able to resoak the flower and use as a weak tincture.

Galvatron

Galvatron

For small setup ethanol purification/recovery, search "distillation" on Amazon. There are a lot of glass distillers for $100.00, more or less.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Material in the filter more or less spent waxes and solids? Not anything like bubble hash. Correct? All the goodies are suspended in the alcohol currently. Correct? Don't want to waste anything. LMAO.
yes...... all waste pretty much...…. you are correct all the good stuff is suspended in solution.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

yes...... all waste pretty much...…. you are correct all the good stuff is suspended in solution.

Yes, no, maybe? How much can be absorbed in 190 proof? Is there a saturation point? I believe from current research a 20-30 min soak will do the trick. But how much is left? Personally I have always enjoyed the high but I want all I can get out of this plant. A full plant extraction isn't difficult and you can medicate with the "good stuff" after a quick soak. I sure do, but I also continue to soak and find the results just fine.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

My wife broke our 8qt Crock Pot. I salvaged the lid and heating pot. My 9" glass pie pan fits nicely and I can evaporate several oz of alcohol in a few hours on the warn setting while keeping dust out of the sluge.

Dan789

Dan789

You may not choose to try this at home, but I did. 100% alcohol tincture boiled off in electric kettle, do this well away from anything you don’t want scorched...
The way these work, they trip out when the solution reaches boiling, so I repeated the procedure several times, by using an extension cord...do so at your own risk...
With the difficulty in cleaning this pot I only reduced by 30% or so...

78C999AF D743 426C BFAD 097312A95BBE
GDub51

GDub51

I use My Magical Butter Machine to make tincture with 190 proof everclear and from there I use a double boiler to reduce it to RSO. Makes my life easy.
My technique is similar except 151 rum is the highest proof solvent I can buy in CA. I'm running the finished tincture over additional batches of decarbed flower to increase THC/CBD content. Anyone else try this. The triple exposed tincture is then evaporated in large pyrex dishes to make a "solid" which is then heated over a 90w incandescent lamp till loose then stirred until all bubbles stop. The black gel is colected in silicone where it hardens into like a pull and snap. They say not to vaporize this stuff so I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm thinking of mixing in some MCT oil and maybe some chocolate syrup to make something palatable. Anyone else making "black dragon jamb"?

GDub51

GDub51

Ok. Follow up. I evaporated a portion of tincture and ended up with an oil. RSO? Now, can I add a liquidizer to create e-juice? Or is it best suited for consumption as is? I'm preparing to process some other material using a proven method for e-juice, but I was wonder what to do with all the tincture I have.
mine looks just like this, I'm also wondering what to do with it. Too impure to vaporize. some say to dip flower in it and smoke that but that's the same as vaping it isn't it? With all the solids and chlorophyll still in it I'm afraid to vape or burn it. Tastes like sh t , so sublingual is out of the question. too thick and sticky to get into capsules. Trying desperately to find a way to concentrate my home grow for medical use. While living in a chemically challenged state, California that is, not me, 151 is the highest solvent here or 91% iso. that I don't want to use.

cloudyhelads

cloudyhelads

I think that the quick wash is the secret to a decent tincture. Freeze everything for a day or two: alcohol, decarbed herb, jar. Mix it all together and shake for 5 min max. Then strain. I put the jar with no lid on my furnace and let it reduce by half or 2/3 I think the quick wash keeps the bs from being absorbed by the alcohol. Anyway a 1/2 dropper gets me really high. It doesn’t taste like peaches but it’s pretty palatable. I throw the strained herb away.

Top Bottom