So The Diy Undercurrent Begins

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

Any good ideas for shimming the totes so I can level out the water levels in each one. It's the floor not the totes.

DGP

DGP

Any good ideas for shimming the totes so I can level out the water levels in each one. It's the floor not the totes.

I run mine in a garage and it slopes. I just split the difference between too high and too low, seems to be fine.

For reference it takes about 8 minutes for my 8 bucket system to recirculate. That is not theoretical but measured so I would say don't rely on just aerating the epi but put air stones in each bucket and do a water fall in the epi as well. my systems holds about 40 gallons and 650-850 GPH of air seems to be about perfect.

Also, one note about the uniseals: During cleaning between runs you would really like to disassemble and scrub each part. The uniseals are probably better off left alone so new leaks wont be initiated. You'll need to scrub out the system while it is assembled in the tent.

Dee

S

Shawnery

I wonder if they have"pipe cleaners" this size because that would make cleaning this thing totally assembled an ease.

H

heisen

Anyone running inline mesh screen filters in their undercurrent systems. Not sure if its overkill or not but I was thinking about something like this.

1" Female NPT Raw Water Strainer with 50 mesh stainless steel screen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CH086WA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fhauBbS019YT8
Waste of time,been there done that.constantly clogging up with crap,just wrap a cloth around your return line inside the epi bucket to form a pocket.catches everything and easy to clean out without shutting everything off.
That's how I roll.

H

heisen

I wonder if they have"pipe cleaners" this size because that would make cleaning this thing totally assembled an ease.
Bulkheads make it too easy.unscrew it into 4 sections,walk it outside to driveway and hose her down.let it dry in the sun and walk it back inside,put 4 bulkhead nuts back on and tighten them down.fill the system and repeat.
You can also rig it so your return line has a female hose adapter on the end.screw it into a water outlet and reverse flush.

S

Shawnery

It's coming along very nicely. Funny thing is I found one leak but it's not even at s uniseal, it's at a pvc adapter but easy to fix.

Almost done!

20180719 192248
20180719 192225
Sonnyhad

Sonnyhad

If I grew three per tote they would be in for as short a veg as possible. That way there wouldn't be an issue. If people can run a sog there's no reason I can't grow three in a 12 gallon tote if the height is right.

Just do me a favor! If I prove you wrong be sure to stand on your soapbox and let the entire forum know how great I am!:D:p:cool:
Hell bro, you already did! Lol I just had to!

Sonnyhad

Sonnyhad

I'm confused how the shape of my buckets and an extra 4 gallons per bucket changes my setup from the CC standered to something that will "fail" as was put?
Even current culture used different buckets, kinda like yours at first. But for some reason as things improve they found the shape of the buckets were more conducive to a good root zone. Gotta think of the babies ya know!

H

heisen

hows it going man on the new system,You got her fired up yet.How many gallons she holding and hows the chiller doing

H

heisen

It's coming along very nicely. Funny thing is I found one leak but it's not even at s uniseal, it's at a pvc adapter but easy to fix.

Almost done!
I would put that pump on the floor,your gonna have a hell of a time priming that pump

S

Shawnery

Nothing growing yet. Plan on waiting till the end of August. By the end of September I'll be entering flower just as the heat starts to drop. Going to attempt running the higher temps for led's and see how it goes. This way all those summer temps won't be wasted on flowering.

H

heisen

Almost done!
also the hoses do better when you put the hole in the lid of the tote,Water spashing in the tote will cause water to leak out the side hole.Look at my design on the buckets and you will see the way i did it.Another design flaw in under currents system.i can rais my water level as high as i want without the hole in the side of the epi bucket

H

heisen

Nothing growing yet. Plan on waiting till the end of August. By the end of September I'll be entering flower just as the heat starts to drop. Going to attempt running the higher temps for led's and see how it goes. This way all those summer temps won't be wasted on flowering.
Its cool you can follow along on my journal and see how i roll

S

Shawnery

A little closer. You were right about light getting through the bubble wrap. Though once its laid over the lid you get zero bleed. I'm still going to coat the inside with something though to be safe.

20180725 174539
20180725 174443
S

Shawnery

also the hoses do better when you put the hole in the lid of the tote,Water spashing in the tote will cause water to leak out the side hole.Look at my design on the buckets and you will see the way i did it.Another design flaw in under currents system.i can rais my water level as high as i want without the hole in the side of the epi bucket

I sealed it so it would be fine. I'm just not a fan of putting things through the lids. I set my water level perfectly touching the bottom of the net cup at its fullest. Leaving room for dropping the level later when the roots drop.

Last edited:
H

heisen

A little closer. You were right about light getting through the bubble wrap. Though once its laid over the lid you get zero bleed. I'm still going to coat the inside with something though to be safe.
lol not bad man but the spacing on those are for like 8 week veg,You could have put 12 buckets in the same space,3 week veg and grew 5 pounds in that space with the right lights.20 inch centers are perfect for a quick veg and flip unless you have 10 foot ceilings and want to grow trees.
Hope everything works out for you

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok like button exhaustion. I have a shit ton of experience with DO lvls in the past only in aquatic settings. The most important part is surface area and the larger the surface area and the more movement it has the greater the gas exchange capability. Surface area usually being the biggest factor. So by adding airstones to the bucket you will greatly increase the capability for gas exchange. Generally trickle filters and waterfalls are used because of limitation of surface area.

Added if you put all airstones into epi it would not provide near the same gas exchange as if you divided them up among all your buckets and epi.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom