Soil Mix For Outdoor Garden?

• Thread starter CanadaSeeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

hi farm.. i'm starting an outdoor garden this year and some of what i'm growing are:

2 types of watermelon
tomatoes
corn

I don't know very much about building a soil mix and i would like to have things organic and hopefully already amended with nutrients to complete the entire grow cycle.

Any tips on a soil recipe basic, cheap... maybe even a company i can buy an all-purpose soil mix from. thx for any tips.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
All of those crops need a good bit of water and N, with tomatoes needing a bit more Ca in my experience than the cucurbits and corn. Are these going in containers, or what? That affects my recommendation.

I've found it can be difficult to provide corn with sufficient N throughout the season, I usually have to give it a feed or two to keep it green.

CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

Hey thx for your reply sea... I'm doing the melons in geoplanter raised beds.. and doing the tomatoes corn in grow bags.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Then I would streamline the process and get a good quality potting soil. Topsoil has proven to be too heavy IME, even if it's good quality. Then, to that I might add some things or simply be ready with fermented plant juices, teas, etc.

CannasaurusR

CannasaurusR

Do lots of searching on here and other sites 'whats your organic soil mix' type search and start filtering through them to find your acceptable cost level and availability. Then come back and ask Seamaiden for pointers. I found once the main ingredients are present, ammending for fluffy, aerated mix that doesn't cake is key. Compost or worm casting teas, to get all the microheard fired up, then grow and learn. Composter is your best weapon moving forward. Besides patience, that is. Cheers Canadaseed. Ground is still frozen here but you can let your new mix 'cook' outside, until May or June (depending on your zone) so it stabilizes and comes alive. Most of the amendments are cheap, but they can be hard to find here if you are strictly OMRI organic. I find crappy tire has nothing , but home hardware has a few items as does Rona. A good hydroponic store has most of the hard to find stuff, but it usually costs a bit more....shop around. Grow on!!!!!

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

What area do you live in? I would search out a local soil yard and see what they have by the yard. By far the cheapest, and many times the soil mixes can be very effective.

CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

Then I would streamline the process and get a good quality potting soil. Topsoil has proven to be too heavy IME, even if it's good quality. Then, to that I might add some things or simply be ready with fermented plant juices, teas, etc.
awesome thx sea... theres a place here selling organic mushroom compost and regular compost, they also sell garden soil. I just don't know if i trust their company. I don't mind paying a few dollars to get a packaged product from a reputable company. I've literally never researched soil companies and all that... anything good to be got on monstergardens.com. I'm continuing to research..

can i just make a soil mix as i would for my marijuana plants. At the end of the day i'm gonna need probably 100 gallons maybe more of media. I'm gonna be amending the soil with lush roots (dragonfly earth medicine) and adding bio-char and oyster shells to help the microlife.

This is what the soil mix looks like.

soil
coco-coir
perlite
compost
oyster shells
worm gold plus worm castings
bio-char

soil bed topped with straw mulch to retain moisture and aid microbial life.

Amending
lushroots
Brilliant Black
Natural mystic (foliar feed)
(dragonfly earth medicine company)

Brilliant Black
Organic Alfalfa blended with Micronized Humates and beneficial bacterias. A Replenishing and Restorative soil amendment for all stages of plant growth.

Active ingredients
24% Humic Acid derived from Lignite
20% Organic Alfalfa Leaf (Medicago Sativa)
5% Organic Sugar (Evaporated cane juice sugar)
Bacillus subtilis - 7,930,000 CFU per gram
Bacillus pumilus - 7,930,000 CFU per gram
Bacillus megaterium - 7,930,000 CFU per gram
Bacillus licheniformis - 7,930,000 CFU per gram
Bacillus amyloliquefaciens - 7,930,000 CFU per gram 50.9% Inert Ingredients

Lush Roots 840
A beneficial tea to enhance root growth and plant yields. A superior blend of EndoMycorrhizae (100,00 props./lb), Trichoderma, Beneficial Bacteria and our own special mix of Organic Herbs.

Active ingredients
8% Humic Acid derived from lignite
16.3% Ascophyllum nodosum (Kelp)
9% Urtica dioica (Stinging Nettle)
9% Medicago sativa (Alfalfa)
Glomus intraradices - 55.0 propagules/gm
Glomus mosseae - 55.0 propagules/gm
Glomus aggregatum - 55.0 propagules/gm
Glomus etunicatum - 55.0 propagules/gm

Bacillus subtilis - 3,965,000 cfu/gm
Bacillus megaterium - 3,965,000 cfu/gm
Bacillus amyloliquefaciens - 3,965,000 cfu/gm
Bacillus pumilus - 3,965,000 cfu/gm
Bacillus licheniformis - 3,965,000 cfu/gm

Trichoderma harzianum - 495,594 cfu/gm
Trichoderma konigii - 495,594 cfu/gm
57.6% Inert Ingredients

Natural Mystic
A 100% organic plant based and bacteria based foliar spray that gives instant nutrition to your plants while cleaning leaves of any unbeneficial pathogens.

*Alfalfa leaf, *nettle leaf, *kelp, *noni fruit, *lavender flowers, *rosemary , *calendula flowers , *horsetail, *sugar, humic acid, *bacillus subtilis, *bacillus pumilus, *bacillus megaterium, *bacillus licheniformis, *bacillus amyloliquefaciens, bacillus thuringiensis, trichoderma harzianum, trichoderma konigii (*certified organic) Active ingredients

20% Ascophyllum nodosum (kelp)
20% Urtica Dioica (stinging nettle)
20% Medicago Sativa (alfalfa)
5% Morinda Citrifolia (noni fruit)
5% Equisetum (horsetail)
5% Humic acid derived from lignite.
5% Evaporated Cane Juice (sugar)
5% Lavandula Lamiaceae (lavender flower)
5% Calendula Officinalis (calendula flowers)
5% Rosmarinus Officinalis (rosemary)
Bacillus pumilus ~ 7,930,000 CFUs per gram
Bacillus megaterium ~ 7,930,000 CFUs per gram
Bacillus licheniformis ~ 7,930,000 CFUs per gram
Bacillus subtilis ~ 7,930,000 CFUs per gram
Bacillus amyloliquefaciens ~ 7,930,000 CFUs per gram
Bacillus thuringiensis ~ 7,930,000 CFU's per gram
Trichoderma konigii ~ 495,594 cfu/gm
Trichoderma harzianum ~ 495,594 cfu/gm
4.9% Inert Ingredients

Last edited:
CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

Do lots of searching on here and other sites 'whats your organic soil mix' type search and start filtering through them to find your acceptable cost level and availability. Then come back and ask Seamaiden for pointers. I found once the main ingredients are present, ammending for fluffy, aerated mix that doesn't cake is key. Compost or worm casting teas, to get all the microheard fired up, then grow and learn. Composter is your best weapon moving forward. Besides patience, that is. Cheers Canadaseed. Ground is still frozen here but you can let your new mix 'cook' outside, until May or June (depending on your zone) so it stabilizes and comes alive. Most of the amendments are cheap, but they can be hard to find here if you are strictly OMRI organic. I find crappy tire has nothing , but home hardware has a few items as does Rona. A good hydroponic store has most of the hard to find stuff, but it usually costs a bit more....shop around. Grow on!!!!!
yep thats exaclty what i did.. cant remember exatcly what member it is on here but i used is base soil mix for what i'll be doing. thx for the tips man ground is still frozen here.. i hate all the box stores for buying my garden supplies.. i mean i go to some but theres a good hydroponics and garden store here that i'm hoping i can special order a lot of my supplies from. There's no way i can buy soil on the internet lol what's shipping gonna be like $45.. no way. i'll definitely look into getting that composter.

CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

What area do you live in? I would search out a local soil yard and see what they have by the yard. By far the cheapest, and many times the soil mixes can be very effective.
im in ontario.. i've got a place close to my house but for some reason i don't trust them. they have mushroom compost and regular compost both organic.. i would have to talk to some people there about the process they use to make their compost and the sourcing.. i'm particular about finding what i want.. I will continue to research that's for sure.

starr

starr

Mushroom compost is basically void of nutrients its used more too fluff up compacted soil. Also depending on the size bed you will need 150 gallons at least for the 3x6 geoplanter beds and around 180 for the 4x8 gegeoplanter. The 3x6 is 6 bails of coir 2 bags of humus and 4 big bags of premium soil.

CannasaurusR

CannasaurusR

I believe most mushroom farms use copious amounts of herbicide and anti-pathogen products, so I have always shied away from it. You should have no probs growing anything with that mix, wow, way too much for this old geezer LOL. I normally don't use anything I can't pronounce he he. And I don't trust the camera's that neighbour hydroponic stores. Pointed a couple out to store owners and they sound like images of people using their store has never been presented as evidence in court. Laughable as the most popular hydroponic store brand here was started by a cop, in the 80's. So I understand your lack of trust!!! Keep it up Canadaseeds! and cash only!

CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

Mushroom compost is basically void of nutrients its used more too fluff up compacted soil. Also depending on the size bed you will need 150 gallons at least for the 3x6 geoplanter beds and around 180 for the 4x8 gegeoplanter. The 3x6 is 6 bails of coir 2 bags of humus and 4 big bags of premium soil.
well... hahahha i'm seeing lost of $$$$$. so basically no use for the mushroom compost unless i can amend the soil so theres enough nute. man would it just be smarter to use grow bags for the melons as well.. i dont see why i couldnt use growbags for melons.. i guess something is telling me i need raised beds i dunno.
what size is this, this is what im aiming for... are we talking 150 gallon of media to fill this... seems like a lot.

Geoplanter

CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

I believe most mushroom farms use copious amounts of herbicide and anti-pathogen products, so I have always shied away from it. You should have no probs growing anything with that mix, wow, way too much for this old geezer LOL. I normally don't use anything I can't pronounce he he. And I don't trust the camera's that neighbour hydroponic stores. Pointed a couple out to store owners and they sound like images of people using their store has never been presented as evidence in court. Laughable as the most popular hydroponic store brand here was started by a cop, in the 80's. So I understand your lack of trust!!! Keep it up Canadaseeds! and cash only!
yea exactly what i thought if i buy the mushroom compost i bet if i sent some for analysis it would be steeped with pesticide and other petro-chemicals... not gonna be growing my food in that lol. I only ever use cash cause that's all i got lol. I've thought about that a few times like the cameras around there or even being followed but i gotta let those worries slide.

starr

starr

That is the 4x8x12" itll take 170-180 gallons. I wouldnt waste my time buying bags of soil for an outdoor grow. Look around for bulk soil. Like sea said go for a potting soil. I can get kick ass compost for $50 a trailer load just gotta load it.

Wisher619

Wisher619

A little secret tip........plant bush beans spaced about 12" apart around the entire edge of the bed as well as the outside of each grow bag or whatever....you will not ever have a N deficiency and organic gardening....don't think to much....water and let it be....I build my soil with native in my ground along with worm castings perlite chicken shit Diatomaceos Earth rock dust and that is about it...I water my plants for a month until established and then I just let them do there thing
even my meds are on the same regiment for my outdoors

Wisher619

Wisher619

thnx....took about 2 years to complete....by my self...my wife did help lay the sod and she helped me build one of my cinderblock beds...by the way....those cinderblock beds are priced at about $40.00 materials from Home Depot

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
can i just make a soil mix as i would for my marijuana plants. At the end of the day i'm gonna need probably 100 gallons maybe more of media. I'm gonna be amending the soil with lush roots (dragonfly earth medicine) and adding bio-char and oyster shells to help the microlife.
Yeah sure, why not? The only issues or big differences with cannabis that I've seen are that tomatoes tend towards blossom end rot and I found that Sea-90 and not additional Ca was the cure, and cannabis seems to want a lot more N than other plants besides corn. I think those products you listed look fantastic and I don't think you can go wrong with them.
This is what I do and swear by. $33/yd for my local guy's top quality topsoil. It can't be used as a potting mix, it's far too heavy for that, though. I do like to amend it.
I believe most mushroom farms use copious amounts of herbicide and anti-pathogen products, so I have always shied away from it.
No, they can't or they'd kill their mushrooms. Mushrooms and other fungi can be very sensitive to environment.
well... hahahha i'm seeing lost of $$$$$. so basically no use for the mushroom compost unless i can amend the soil so theres enough nute. man would it just be smarter to use grow bags for the melons as well.. i dont see why i couldnt use growbags for melons.. i guess something is telling me i need raised beds i dunno.
what size is this, this is what im aiming for... are we talking 150 gallon of media to fill this... seems like a lot.

View attachment 500408
Yeah, if you go by gallons it is. But if you go by cubic yard it's nothin'. ;) Add some mushroom compost to a good bulk topsoil mix and you'll have healthy AND fluffy, and who doesn't love fluffy?

Latest posts

Top Bottom