Soil Mix For Outdoor Garden?

• Thread starter CanadaSeeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nazarbattu

nazarbattu

yea exactly what i thought if i buy the mushroom compost i bet if i sent some for analysis it would be steeped with pesticide and other petro-chemicals... not gonna be growing my food in that lol. I only ever use cash cause that's all i got lol. I've thought about that a few times like the cameras around there or even being followed but i gotta let those worries slide.
Maybe if they are GMO Mushrooms
Yeah sure, why not?

No, they can't or they'd kill their mushrooms. Mushrooms and other fungi can be very sensitive to environment.

Yeah, if you go by gallons it is. But if you go by cubic yard it's nothin'. ;) Add some mushroom compost to a good bulk topsoil mix and you'll have healthy AND fluffy, and who doesn't love fluffy?
I agree that mushroom compost and fluffy is good.....
Unless they are GMO Mushrooms grown tolerable to mentioned insecticides and pesticides. I might have to get back onto the Penn State mushroom studies as a starting point...
Naz

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
This year I've been finding morels on our property. Since I started growing I've moved from someone who didn't think stuff like glyphosate was a problem as long as I didn't try to drink the stuff, to coming to a much fuller understanding of the interconnectedness of our earth and environs. I stopped using birth control for that reason. I stopped using all chemicals, pesticides and herbicides and insisted my husband do the same. I won't even use dryer sheets (endocrine disruptors, anyone?).

So, when I began finding these edibles, so incredibly tasty! on our property, I have taken it to be a confirmation, an affirmation, of our practices here on our property.

What I need now are some "alive" garden snails because I want escargot and I know how to do it. Any farmers here with a good population of Cornu aspersum?

CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

That is the 4x8x12" itll take 170-180 gallons. I wouldnt waste my time buying bags of soil for an outdoor grow. Look around for bulk soil. Like sea said go for a potting soil. I can get kick ass compost for $50 a trailer load just gotta load it.
thx you very much for putting the numerbs into perspective for me.. it's looking like grow bags may be a smarter way to go. considering to get soil/compost from a yard supplier. it makes sense of course. So know i have been looking into doing dutch buckets... might do the melons in those!
A little secret tip........plant bush beans spaced about 12" apart around the entire edge of the bed as well as the outside of each grow bag or whatever....you will not ever have a N deficiency and organic gardening....don't think to much....water and let it be....I build my soil with native in my ground along with worm castings perlite chicken shit Diatomaceos Earth rock dust and that is about it...I water my plants for a month until established and then I just let them do there thingView attachment 500410View attachment 500411 even my meds are on the same regiment for my outdoors
Hey amazing garden man, absolutely breathtaking. i love how clean and organized it looks and seeing as you did things on budget that's way cool. explain how the beans fix nitrogen???
Yeah sure, why not? The only issues or big differences with cannabis that I've seen are that tomatoes tend towards blossom end rot and I found that Sea-90 and not additional Ca was the cure, and cannabis seems to want a lot more N than other plants besides corn. I think those products you listed look fantastic and I don't think you can go wrong with them.

This is what I do and swear by. $33/yd for my local guy's top quality topsoil. It can't be used as a potting mix, it's far too heavy for that, though. I do like to amend it.

No, they can't or they'd kill their mushrooms. Mushrooms and other fungi can be very sensitive to environment.

Yeah, if you go by gallons it is. But if you go by cubic yard it's nothin'. ;) Add some mushroom compost to a good bulk topsoil mix and you'll have healthy AND fluffy, and who doesn't love fluffy?

awesome thx for the info on that sea. sea-90 is a product for increasing trace minerals in the soil... i guess the tomatoes really need the trace mineral.. now im curious about the geneology of tomatoes lol. a while ago i was learning dutch buckets.. it dawned on me the other night that's what i should do for the melons and some tomatoes. i don't wanna do everything in a dwc just in case i make a mistake. i suppose i will build my own soil with what you and others have recomended me, so the mushrooms compost, top soil some compost. now can i mix all that up with some coco-coir peat perlite and my amendments, i dont see why not?

CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

Maybe if they are GMO Mushrooms

I agree that mushroom compost and fluffy is good.....
Unless they are GMO Mushrooms grown tolerable to mentioned insecticides and pesticides. I might have to get back onto the Penn State mushroom studies as a starting point...
Naz
i'm pretty sure they haven't genetically engineered mushrooms (yet). It's because they use a bacteria called agrobacterium that is only really transgenic in plants. I know too much about gmo's and the issues the planet is facing from bad agricultural practices. let's just say the bacteria they use to modify food is being found inside bees' dna. Also it has spread much further... in fact almost all living plants on this planet are infected with agrobacterium now thanks to us. it is a nature occurring disease in the plant world but us tinkering with it has boosted it's viral abilities by giving hosts to live in.

Last edited:
CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

This year I've been finding morels on our property. Since I started growing I've moved from someone who didn't think stuff like glyphosate was a problem as long as I didn't try to drink the stuff, to coming to a much fuller understanding of the interconnectedness of our earth and environs. I stopped using birth control for that reason. I stopped using all chemicals, pesticides and herbicides and insisted my husband do the same. I won't even use dryer sheets (endocrine disruptors, anyone?).

So, when I began finding these edibles, so incredibly tasty! on our property, I have taken it to be a confirmation, an affirmation, of our practices here on our property.

What I need now are some "alive" garden snails because I want escargot and I know how to do it. Any farmers here with a good population of Cornu aspersum?
you are right Sea glyphosate is terrible stuff. it's actually derived from bovine growth hormone and it causes uncontrollable growth when applied to broad leaf plants. basically when you spray round up on broad leaf plants they will start to grow out of control and just die. Well for years people have been wondering why girls and boys were hitting puberty so early, glyphosate is your answer. growth hormone. not to mention what it does to soil (starve the oxygen) kills all microbial life. Terrible stuff. The other pesticides are they more neurotoxic and genotoxic ones. The scary thing is that now with all the gmo crops and pesticides obviously there is no stop to this as they have just introduced gmo apples and will soon be releasing gmo mosquitoes in florida. Basically these crops have killed our pollinators including the bees and monarchs. And i think it's absolutely pathetic that as a culture we will need to genetically modify bees just so we can save them. In fact as we speak (or type on the keyboard) lol right now, somewhere a group of scientists are working on that right now.

north knect

north knect

you are right Sea glyphosate is terrible stuff. it's actually derived from bovine growth hormone and it causes uncontrollable growth when applied to broad leaf plants. basically when you spray round up on broad leaf plants they will start to grow out of control and just die. Well for years people have been wondering why girls and boys were hitting puberty so early, glyphosate is your answer. growth hormone. not to mention what it does to soil (starve the oxygen) kills all microbial life. Terrible stuff. The other pesticides are they more neurotoxic and genotoxic ones. The scary thing is that now with all the gmo crops and pesticides obviously there is no stop to this as they have just introduced gmo apples and will soon be releasing gmo mosquitoes in florida. Basically these crops have killed our pollinators including the bees and monarchs. And i think it's absolutely pathetic that as a culture we will need to genetically modify bees just so we can save them. In fact as we speak (or type on the keyboard) lol right now, somewhere a group of scientists are working on that right now.
Ya that's some crazy shit for sure!! I'm also in Ontario man..central northish lol how bout u?

Wisher619

Wisher619

oh and anyone that has raised beds....in the off season....plant hairy vetch....it will go dormant in the winter and wake back up after last snow...once it reaches about 2' you cut it down and leave it...you can let it decay and plant through it....it is some bad ass stuff...mulch/natural fert that will last a tomatoes lifespan

PLOOKERKING

PLOOKERKING

Or do as natives have done since time in memorium. Plant fish in your garden the previous year. Your welcome

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
glyphosate is terrible stuff. it's actually derived from bovine growth hormone and it causes uncontrollable growth when applied to broad leaf plants. basically when you spray round up on broad leaf plants they will start to grow out of control and just die
That's not how I understand its action to be. As I understand it, glyphosate binds with a molecule or molecules that then disallows plants to uptake certain minerals they need to photosynthesize. That's what I recall, anyway.
oh and anyone that has raised beds....in the off season....plant hairy vetch....it will go dormant in the winter and wake back up after last snow...once it reaches about 2' you cut it down and leave it...you can let it decay and plant through it....it is some bad ass stuff...mulch/natural fert that will last a tomatoes lifespan
Hairy vetch, Austrian winter peas, fava beans are all good things to add in for a winter green manure crop. I like the way you think! And the more the better, think "suite." I've added rye grass and clovers and a few things from my pantry to the mix.

Wisher619

Wisher619

@PLOOKERKING wouldn't it be a little easier to then just use fish emulsion....planting fish seems like a huge waste unless you were being sarcastic.....in any case I don't think that maggots in the garden....although a good decomposer....would really be worth it

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You'd be surprised what rotting flesh adds to the garden.

Wisher619

Wisher619

microbes....protein ......etc....just seems highly unsustainable.....killing animals to grow plants when you can grow plants to aide in the growth of others...seems a little more reasonable....by the way @Seamaiden I planted peas & oats this past fall/winter....the peas were delicious and my tomatoes are loving me for it right now.....well they also are loving the rock dust I added about 2 years ago as well as the EWC that I add about every 3 months

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't disagree on the idea of buying a fish to plant with your plants being problematic. Where I am, it'll draw raccoons at the very least and bears at the worst. But! amino acids are nitrogen, and I can think of ways where it could be done in the right scenario.

For example, when we slaughter a chicken, I bury the offal that we don't use in the garden. That offal will decompose and add N to my soil profile at the very least. It's all part of the natural cycle and we should not eschew it for personal belief, in my humble opinion.

Wisher619

Wisher619

no I completely agree with you...and there is a time and place for everything.....if I lived on the river and fished consistently I think that I would be composting all my fish waste although it would be blended to a slurry and poured into a special compost heap that would be secured from outside intrusion....the one worry for me would be the raccoons....which are about the size of a medium dog in my neck of the woods so to speak....but yes benificial...Fish emulsion kinda seems like a quicker and more reliable solution no?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Absolutely, but it draws yellowjackets. I'm a fan of the dry hydrolized fish you get from outfits like Peaceful Valley.

The raccoons out here are about as big, yeah.

PLOOKERKING

PLOOKERKING

I don't argue elders methods. Secondly mother nature has given us hints......I try to pay attention to her ALWAYS. I live in an area where throwing fish,fish scraps etc. Work excellent!

PLOOKERKING

PLOOKERKING

They go back into the ground in late sept. Timeframe. I was offering up a suggestion. Not asking to be scrutinized like that man sheesh. Was trying to be helpful.

PLOOKERKING

PLOOKERKING

I don't disagree on the idea of buying a fish to plant with your plants being problematic. Where I am, it'll draw raccoons at the very least and bears at the worst. But! amino acids are nitrogen, and I can think of ways where it could be done in the right scenario.

For example, when we slaughter a chicken, I bury the offal that we don't use in the garden. That offal will decompose and add N to my soil profile at the very least. It's all part of the natural cycle and we should not eschew it for personal belief, in my humble opinion.
Farmers in grand isle near where I live have used these methods for 30 plus years. No issues so far!

Wisher619

Wisher619

absolutely...if I lived in say....Alaska ...in an are where fish was my main source of food... scraps it be....as well there are many plants you can cover crop with that gives u great return on the earth as well as good snack

Top Bottom