Something is missing, I think, and idk what?

• Thread starter Weeblek
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scotty420

Scotty420

I have the VS1000 on these at 80% about 20" off the tallest plants. To put that in perspective it looks like you're close to the same height, I'm giving them 80 watts, at 50% you're giving them 200 at 75% it's 300, almost 4 times more.
20230424 192357

Weeblek

Weeblek

Okie dokie. Thanks every one of you for responding. I will clarify first that the gallon was meaning 8ml of each nutrient i to a gallon of water and that gallon divided among the 6-3gal bags. The next day I did the transplanting.

Then there's the watering... I probably did overwater in the old soil, just because it was SOOO dry and chunky. Since repotting on the 20th I've watered once, with the nitrients in the water. Not much water. I leave the lid on the jug just so the water kind of drips out when I shake it. So maybe 1/2 cup to each, spread out.

Then with the lights, at first they were all the way up in a 6.5' tent. I lowered to 25" above the plants when repotted.

I think that's all my info except the brand of soil and idr that info and the bags are gone

What I am gathering from you all as a whole is that I need to raise the light back up to the top of the tent, cut it down to 25%, and don't give any nutrients for a while. Is that the general consensus?

Also, since day 1 I been doing 18hrs light with 6hrs dark. Is that ok to continue? How long do I have to fix them before they all die on me? Is it too late for them already? Should I water tonight with plain water to maybe give them a better chance to ward off the nutrients that may still be present in the soil. Am I the absolute most moronic grower you've ever had to deal with?

Thanks everyone! - Karen

Scotty420

Scotty420

I think just lower it to 25%, maybe raise it up to 30" over the tops of the plants, 25% at 6 feet feels like it wouldn't be enough light in my very noobish opinion

E

elusiveshame

I think 22-28” is recommended for LED’s, so I’d aim for somewhere in there and put it on the lowest setting for a week before you think about increasing the intensity.

2Bad

2Bad

Okie dokie. Thanks every one of you for responding. I will clarify first that the gallon was meaning 8ml of each nutrient i to a gallon of water and that gallon divided among the 6-3gal bags. The next day I did the transplanting.

Then there's the watering... I probably did overwater in the old soil, just because it was SOOO dry and chunky. Since repotting on the 20th I've watered once, with the nitrients in the water. Not much water. I leave the lid on the jug just so the water kind of drips out when I shake it. So maybe 1/2 cup to each, spread out.

Then with the lights, at first they were all the way up in a 6.5' tent. I lowered to 25" above the plants when repotted.

I think that's all my info except the brand of soil and idr that info and the bags are gone

What I am gathering from you all as a whole is that I need to raise the light back up to the top of the tent, cut it down to 25%, and don't give any nutrients for a while. Is that the general consensus?

Also, since day 1 I been doing 18hrs light with 6hrs dark. Is that ok to continue? How long do I have to fix them before they all die on me? Is it too late for them already? Should I water tonight with plain water to maybe give them a better chance to ward off the nutrients that may still be present in the soil. Am I the absolute most moronic grower you've ever had to deal with?

Thanks everyone! - Karen
nope not even the closest to the most moronic 😛🤣 but yep agree with the last 2 comments 28 inches at 25% til they get nice and strong .

And when you water thoroughly water the entire pot, that’s why we always recommend smaller pots and transplanting. Roots don’t grow into dry soil. and roots usually shoot out to the bottom , then back up. So that’s why you water the entire thing.

Usually best to lift the pot and water when the pot is light. But with ur old soil being bad that might not be the case here.

B

baydestrian707

Hi Forum Friends.

I started all my seeds on 4/6. 2 of each and I have the Juicy MixPack via ilgm site. My soil wasn’t the best, but after purchasing the 5x5x6.5’ tent, VS 4000 Light, the big fan, 2 smaller fans, nutrients, testers, gauges, and bags I really was too low on funds to get great soil. So I went cheap. It was awful soil and hardened up quickly and the plants look very sick.

I was hoping when I repotted that it would straighten out as I did go for better Soil and also mixed the Perlite into each bag, about 20/80 Perlite to Soil. I used 1 gallon of nutrients, ViVoSun Bases A and B, across 6-3gal bags of Soil and mixed it all in. The soil was between 4-5 on my meter in wetness when that was done. I repotted on 4/20, as the roots in all 6 small, 5"pots were showing at the sides and bottom. Beautiful white roots, so that part is great.

After 4 days in the new Soil and the plants still looking ill, I did complete Soil Slurry Tests, thanks to a thread from this site. I have 6 Plants so I did 12 cups of dirt between 5-11gms each. I did 12 because I pulled from each both before and after I watered.

On my Super Lemon Haze, the lowest pH was 6.64 and the highest 6.72. The pre feeding numbers were about .10 higher than the post feed. I used Smart Water and it was @6.84 by itself.

On my Orange Bud, the lowest was 6.63. The highest 6.99. This time the pre feeds were about .25 higher than the post feed. Idk if this type of info is pertinent or not, but seems like it would matter. For these I used FiJi Water @7.40 by itself.

Finally, on my Agent Orange, the lowest was 5.96. The highest, 6.27. These numbers didn’t follow the others with regard to pre and post feeding. I also used the FiJi Water here. Again at 7.40 by itself.

So, if I did everything right, and I THINK I did, my pH Levels are spot on near perfect. So what’s wrong with my plants??? Here are yesterday's photos. I have not watered since the day after repotting because the meter is still almost halfway on all. But it looks dry. Guess it’s not though.

Seems like maybe I have either a Nitrogen or a Potassium Deficientcy, or maybe they were over watered? I did only water from about 2" from the plant to the outside edge of the bags (edge of the pots). Is one of these things possibly what is wrong? What can I do about that? Maybe something totally different? Heck, I don't have a single clue, frfr.

Anyway, that's my question. Seems like looking at others plants on here, they are all way bigger than mine at almost 3wks old. So mine are small, yellowing, and curling. What can I do?

I want to add, about the soil, that if this grow winds up going well, I fully intend to use top of the line products next time. I know I did wrong, and am now regretting it.

Thanks so much! - WeebleK
Try using str8 Promix HP M for seedlings till veg I get beautiful plants with that alone

Weeblek

Weeblek

Thanks. I will do that and lights at 25%. I started in little 5" pots but where it was so dry so fast I gelt like the sooner I got them into a different soil the better iff they'd be, vut I also didn't want to keep repotting them multiple times. I think the advice I got here is good advice and I will abide by it.

Once this crop is successful I will be better able to start with great soil next time. - WeebleK

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

The manufacturer of the light might have a recommendation for the distance and intensity, so reading the manual might help. Most are 20 to 24 inches and 25% for young plants.

It can be helpful not to make multiple changes at once because it's hard to know what change caused what effect when several changes are made at the same time. So, my advice is to let the plants adjust to the light and water as advised.

An 18/6 schedule is common for vegetation. It's what I use. So, yes, continue with that schedule until the plants enter the pre-flower stage. That is when to "flip" to a 12/12 flowering schedule.

About watering... Avoid watering too often. These plants like their roots to dry. Most folks recommend watering till there is slight runoff--about 10%. I just watch for the water to start dripping into the saucers. If you're worried about excess nutrients, use plain water.

No. You're not "the absolute most moronic grower" ever. That's probably me. There's a lot of learning involved with growing these plants under lights. So, allow yourself a few grows for learning. You'll learn new things every time.

Weeblek

Weeblek

Thanks. I appreciate it. The ViVoSun guy has been completely useless to the point that I started asking at ILGM and here and you guys have been the best advisors between the 2. And the ViVoSun products came with zero instructions for anything except the pH and EDS Meters. I almost feel like they sent me stuff that had been returned by somebody else. Even the packaging was bad. But I'm done with them. I have all I need as far as what I got there. Anything I would need in the future I'll find through this site.

I had wondered about watering. I haven't given them enough to have runoff yet, as I thought I was only supposed to spray them a couple of squirts and figured I was watering too much anyway.

Yes, I see your point about too many changes at once. Really this whole debacle is exactly why I didn't go with Autoflowers my 1st time out. I read that where those grow so fast there's no room for errors as there is with Photos, as if I screw up I can have an opportunity to fix it. - WeebleK

Weeblek

Weeblek

Oh! I think I failed to say that I have the VS4000 LED light square that I'm using. I also fo have 2 red halogen bulbs for lamps and 2 strips, for lack of a better name, of like 12 blue LEDs on each, if y'all think at some point I should add those to my Tent. - WeebleK

Scotty420

Scotty420

Thanks. I appreciate it. The ViVoSun guy has been completely useless to the point that I started asking at ILGM and here and you guys have been the best advisors between the 2. And the ViVoSun products came with zero instructions for anything except the pH and EDS Meters. I almost feel like they sent me stuff that had been returned by somebody else. Even the packaging was bad. But I'm done with them. I have all I need as far as what I got there. Anything I would need in the future I'll find through this site.

I had wondered about watering. I haven't given them enough to have runoff yet, as I thought I was only supposed to spray them a couple of squirts and figured I was watering too much anyway.

Yes, I see your point about too many changes at once. Really this whole debacle is exactly why I didn't go with Autoflowers my 1st time out. I read that where those grow so fast there's no room for errors as there is with Photos, as if I screw up I can have an opportunity to fix it. - Karen
I have 2 VS1000's & a VS2000, all came with manuals, so definitely something strange there. Here is the manual for the light.

https://image.next.vivosun.com/file-asset/file/2ddcc2a697729e6a1ff9bdf2d8f778c1.pdf

I found it on a 30 sec google search, can't believe Vivosun couldn't help with that, but I will say the one time I've dealt with Vivosun directly it was a shit show. I ordered a tent & got no verification that it shipped or even that they began processing the order other than the charge to my credit card. The status on their site said still processing up until the day it showed up at my neighbors house lol

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

But I'm done with them. I have all I need as far as what I got there. Anything I would need in the future I'll find through this site.
I've had trouble with VivoSun, too. I tried to buy a tent from them a few months ago and had trouble with their web site. Their tech support basically said they didn't care and refused to honor the sale they were having at the time. I ended up buying a tent from Spider Farmer.

It looks like you have good equipment, though. You're off to a great start!

I've mostly used products from various vendors, including AC Infinity, Ink Bird, ViparSpectra and Spider Farmer. There's a lot of good equipment out there.

Just be careful not to water too frequently. That was one of my rookie mistakes. Now, I rely on a soil moisture meter as well as other methods mentioned. The key is for the soil to dry near the bottom of the pot. Measuring the moisture there is how the soil meter's long probe helps.

Really this whole debacle is exactly why I didn't go with Autoflowers my 1st time out. I read that where those grow so fast there's no room for errors as there is with Photos, as if I screw up I can have an opportunity to fix it.
You got that right.

Lol! It's kinda hard learning not to use your actual name, huh.
Yeah. It's best not to do so just about anywhere on the internet.

TSD

TSD

Overwatering isn't usually too much, it's too often. You need to saturate then let dry back. I'm in one gallon nursery pots and that takes about 5 days with much larger plants, so plan on a week or maybe more, depending on the environment. My babies in tiny 4 inch pots only got watered like once a week. You should get a cheap moisture meter until you get watering down. Here is a good read on watering techniques.

Weeblek

Weeblek

I have 2 VS1000's & a VS2000, all came with manuals, so definitely something strange there. Here is the manual for the light.

https://image.next.vivosun.com/file-asset/file/2ddcc2a697729e6a1ff9bdf2d8f778c1.pdf

I found it on a 30 sec google search, can't believe Vivosun couldn't help with that, but I will say the one time I've dealt with Vivosun directly it was a shit show. I ordered a tent & got no verification that it shipped or even that they began processing the order other than the charge to my credit card. The status on their site said still processing up until the day it showed up at my neighbors house lol
Yeah, I coulda searched it. You're right. I was just saying how bad the service I got was. Thanks! Ooops! - WeebleK

Weeblek

Weeblek

I've had trouble with VivoSun, too. I tried to buy a tent from them a few months ago and had trouble with their web site. Their tech support basically said they didn't care and refused to honor the sale they were having at the time. I ended up buying a tent from Spider Farmer.

It looks like you have good equipment, though. You're off to a great start!

I've mostly used products from various vendors, including AC Infinity, Ink Bird, ViparSpectra and Spider Farmer. There's a lot of good equipment out there.

Just be careful not to water too frequently. That was one of my rookie mistakes. Now, I rely on a soil moisture meter as well as other methods mentioned. The key is for the soil to dry near the bottom of the pot. Measuring the moisture there is how the soil meter's long probe helps.

You got that right.

Yeah. It's best not to do so just about anywhere on the internet.
I definitely have to figure out this "quote" thing. -WeebleK

Weeblek

Weeblek

Overwatering isn't usually too much, it's too often. You need to saturate then let dry back. I'm in one gallon nursery pots and that takes about 5 days with much larger plants, so plan on a week or maybe more, depending on the environment. My babies in tiny 4 inch pots only got watered like once a week. You should get a cheap moisture meter until you get watering down. Here is a good read on watering techniques.
I do have a meter with the 2 prongs and will use it. Are you saying to saturate to run off and then likely won't need to water for maybe 5 days? Thanks for the link. I'll check it for sure.

TSD

TSD

I do have a meter with the 2 prongs and will use it. Are you saying to saturate to run off and then likely won't need to water for maybe 5 days? Thanks for the link. I'll check it for sure.
Yes. Check the moisture level towards the bottom like third of the pot, if the probe isn't long enough, you can stab a hole in the side of the pot to test. Fabric dries back a bit faster than conventional nursery pots, but I've gone up to 9 days between waterings with small plants in one gallon plastic with many added holes all over, they don't use much water at that stage and if your humidity is up like it should be, drying takes quite a while. Don't just go by time though, because that changes with environment and plant size and stage. Water slowly, if your pot is dry enough, it should take about 1/3 of the soil volume in water to saturate. If you go too fast, you can get runoff when it's not actually saturated because water takes the path of least resistance, which is usually down the side of the pot between the soil and pot. You don't want a ton of runoff, especially if you're doing organics, just enough to know it's thoroughly wet. I usually give them a bit, walk away so it can slowly saturate, come back a while later and give a bit more. I let mine sit in a drip tray while I water, they will suck the runoff back up if they are not saturated, if it stays in the tray for some time, they're full, I tip them to let a bit drip out so I don't make a mess and put them back... you can't really do that easily w Fabric though, the tipping part.
You want the meter in the red dry zone, not moist... I usually let it get to like a 2 on the 1-10 scale... this next time I will be letting them wilt before I water because I have lovely fungus gnats and I would like them to die lol.

Weeblek

Weeblek

Ok. I think I responded to everyone. I would like to show you guys the MAJOR difference from about 3am on the 23rd to just a little bit ago today, and I only moved the light up about 1am last night! I tried to group them correctly with 1 above the same one on the 2 days. I for one am amazed by what y'all did for them.

Do here's what I've gathered so far... 1) Water to running off and then don't until the bottom 1/3 or so of the soil is dryer.
2) Keep lights at 25% and 25-30" above for a few days until no more evidence of distress. Then increase every few days but keep at the 25-30" above. 18hrs a day is good until pre-flowering.
3). No more Nutrients, just water, until Vegetative stage. (I might have that part wrong.) Maybe I meant for now until they stop showing signs of distress?

Yay US??? - WeebleK

Aviary image 1682437432784
Aviary image 1682437483686
Aviary image 1682437528317
IMG 20230425 111125891 HDR

Latest posts

Top Bottom