Something is missing, I think, and idk what?

• Thread starter Weeblek
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I have humidifiers in both my tents. They're operated by controllers--an Ink Bird and an AC Infinity.

I've noticed that humidifiers apparently are only needed when the plants are small and in small pots. As they grow, they provide their own humidity. I noticed this because I gradually refill the humidifier tanks less often as the plants get bigger, yet the relative humidity in the tent stays almost the same, except it increases noticeably after watering. Eventually, I vent the tent to reduce the humidity supplied by the plants.

I have a dehumidifier in my lung room that I use during late vegetation and flowering. All my plants are in vegetation right now, so I have my RH set to 65% and the temperature set to 77F. At those settings, the VPD should be 1.0, according to the chart I'm using.

Weeblek

Weeblek

What is the VPD?

While I'm here I want to ask about my next watering. I broke my pH Meter and the new one is on it's way. As y'all will recall, I did the Slurry Test and then a few days later watered to runoff with Distilled Water only. So I'm thinking before the next watering that I should do another Slurry Test? To see if all is well and if I need to be adding anything to the water. About how big will they be when I do start using Nutrients and turn the lights up to a higher percentage? Like what will I be looking for as an indication that I need to do those things? Thanks- WeebleK

Scotty420

Scotty420

What is the VPD?

What Is VPD (Vapor Pressure Deficit)?

Vapor pressure deficit (VPD) is one of several methods growers use to measure humidity in a greenhouse or growing environment. It allows growers to gauge the impact of humidity on plant growth and development.​

VPD measures the difference, in terms of pressure, between the water vapor in the air, and the air’s saturation point, which is the maximum amount the air can carry at its current temperature. The point of complete saturation is also called the dew point.

VPD = Vapor Pressure (saturation) – Vapor Pressure (air)

This pressure difference is what drives transpiration from the plants’ stomata.

Many growers use RH (relative humidity) to measure the humidity level in a greenhouse. This measures the percentage of the air’s water content saturation at a certain temperature. While RH is great for managing humidity, it doesn’t tell us much about the forces driving evaporation from the plants.

VPD, as opposed to RH, correlates with plant transpiration rates, making it a proactive tool for plant empowerment, rather than simply a climate parameter.
Basically it's a chart that tells you what temp/humidity you need. So you can look at your humidity & see what temp goes best with that humidity or vise versa

Weeblek

Weeblek

Oh boy. So now I gotta be a meteorologist to grow a plant. This is getting a whole lot more involved than was anticipated. That's for sure. -WeebleK

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

A few pictures of your plants and pots would be helpful.

While I'm here I want to ask about my next watering. I broke my pH Meter and the new one is on it's way. As y'all will recall, I did the Slurry Test and then a few days later watered to runoff with Distilled Water only. So I'm thinking before the next watering that I should do another Slurry Test? To see if all is well and if I need to be adding anything to the water.
Most soil growers don't seem to worry much about pH, especially if they're using organic nutrients. Moisture content of the soil, however, is important. Why did you water with distilled water? Is there a problem with your tap water? (Sorry I don't if this was discussed previously.)

About how big will they be when I do start using Nutrients and turn the lights up to a higher percentage?
I don't know if there is a precise answer to this question. I just watch the plants. I watch the plants to see how they're growing. If they look like they need to be fed, I feed them.

Like what will I be looking for as an indication that I need to do those things?
I would say color and size of the leaves and rate of growth.

Weeblek

Weeblek

Mostly because everything I read anywhere said to use distilled water. Actually stressed the point that neither tap or purified were sufficient and Distilled was the only good choice. Heck, I even went and bought enough for the next months of waterings! Lol! Thought I was doing right. So then I won't need to do another Slurry Test?

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Oh boy. So now I gotta be a meteorologist to grow a plant. This is getting a whole lot more involved than was anticipated. That's for sure. -WeebleK
Well... No. Not really. A good addition to a tent is controllers for temperature and humidity. I use Ink Bird controllers in one tent and an AC Infinity controller in another tent. Both seem to work well. They turn devices like humidifiers and heaters on and off to maintain a stable environment.

Weeblek

Weeblek

There are a bunch of shots I posted previously. Really not much change since the last ones.

Weeblek

Weeblek

I will have to look into those for grow #2. Not feasible right now, but I'm definitely taking all advise and studying up on each. Right now I just look in there 100x a day and see what's what. Best I can do for now. I will take mire ohotos and post them tonight before it goes dark again.

Weeblek

Weeblek

One thing to keep in mind is that I am as smart as my set up can be, as I don't have wifi in my house. My neighbors do but idw to be constantly connected to them. - WeebleK

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Mostly because everything I read anywhere said to use distilled water. Actually stressed the point that neither tap or purified were sufficient and Distilled was the only good choice. Heck, I even went and bought enough for the next months of waterings! Lol! Thought I was doing right. So then I won't need to do another Slurry Test?
People tend to advise according to their growing methods. Growing in soil is more forgiving than other methods. I grow in soil, and I use tap water.

There are a bunch of shots I posted previously. Really not much change since the last ones.
Okay. So the plants haven't changed much. That may be an indicator that they need nutrients. For young plants, it may be best to use half the amount recommended on the label, depending on what type is used.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I will have to look into those for grow #2. Not feasible right now, but I'm definitely taking all advise and studying up on each. Right now I just look in there 100x a day and see what's what. Best I can do for now. I will take mire ohotos and post them tonight before it goes dark again.
Okay. I tend to check my plants frequently, too.

Most controllers can operate with Bluetooth, so WiFi isn't always necessary. All of mine can be operated from the device itself. It is nice to be able to check the conditions remotely, though. The phone apps tend to be easier to use, as well.

Lacking controllers, a simple thermometer and hygrometer can be had for a few dollars.

One thing to keep in mind is that I am as smart as my set up can be, as I don't have wifi in my house. My neighbors do but idw to be constantly connected to them. - WeebleK
Then your setup must be pretty darn smart! These plants are robust and forgiving and will do well if the conditions are good.

Weeblek

Weeblek

Ok. Well, I will say that whenever I first moved in here some 15yrs ago, there was always water in my creek. Not much, but some. Then about 9yrs ago the Sanitary dept came through replacing all their pipes and the one worker guy smelled the chlorine and knew there was a leak somewhere. He had no trouble finding it and so my dogs no longer have fresh water daily. Lol! Would that be an indication that the chlorine content in my Tap water may be excessive? Or he could have just worked with city water so long it was 2nd nature to him.

I mean, they look better. They just haven't grown a whole lot.

Weeblek

Weeblek

I do have these in there. Well, it is 1 Meter for both. - WeebleK

Weeblek

Weeblek

I am about to go in there and work some. Just kinda waiting to see if the guys are coming down for lunch. Nobody knows about it and idw be in the middle of something if they show up. I've basically been asleep for 2 days and have been itching to go in there since about 7 this morning. If nothing else, they do get a lot of me talking to them. That's supposed to be great for all plants. Lol! Of course I'm a nut so what I say they probably don't understand. Hehe! - WeebleK

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Ok. Well, I will say that whenever I first moved in here some 15yrs ago, there was always water in my creek. Not much, but some. Then about 9yrs ago the Sanitary dept came through replacing all their pipes and the one worker guy smelled the chlorine and knew there was a leak somewhere. He had no trouble finding it and so my dogs no longer have fresh water daily. Lol! Would that be an indication that the chlorine content in my Tap water may be excessive? Or he could have just worked with city water so long it was 2nd nature to him.
I fill my watering cans after I water and let them sit till the next watering. That way, dissolved gasses go into the atmosphere and the water will be at the same temperature as the room the plants are in. If the chlorine can be smelled, then it isn't staying in the water. Chloramine, however, stays in the water much longer.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I am about to go in there and work some. Just kinda waiting to see if the guys are coming down for lunch. Nobody knows about it and idw be in the middle of something if they show up. I've basically been asleep for 2 days and have been itching to go in there since about 7 this morning. If nothing else, they do get a lot of me talking to them. That's supposed to be great for all plants. Lol! Of course I'm a nut so what I say they probably don't understand. Hehe! - WeebleK
They probably like the CO2 you provide. I sometimes do yoga in my lung room.

Top Bottom