Sour Larry Lime Pebbles #9

• Thread starter SoLowDolo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Imo the only thing that happens when the lights are off is they stop growing.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Imo the only thing that happens when the lights are off is they stop growing.
You have more experience than me, and you're probably right. But it seemed legit and made sense to me in my mind, but maybe I misunderstood. But from what I gathered, a plant only has so much energy. It can use this energy for developing new vegetation, or for developing roots. Lights on will trigger photosynthesis for growing new leaves. And it will use energy to focus on root growth during lights off. I know clones have no roots, but maybe it will use that dark period to figure out how to grow some! LOL, I dunno... I'm high

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
My plants have never suffered from lack of roots.

Not saying you’re wrong or anything.

Roots can’t tell wether it’s light or dark out.

Imo roots search for moisture and food.

One of the reasons hydroponics grows the plants so quickly is because they don’t need to search for moisture or food. The food is there ready for them to uptake and metabolize.

It’s been debated for a very long time. Even in the early 2000s when I started it was a hotly debated topic.

I simply chose to believe that darkness wasn’t needed and went that route and it’s worked out well for me.

There’s an argument that having darkness saves electricity which is true but imo it also sacrifices growth.

There’s an argument that plants need to rest. And I’ve yet to see any real proof of that. Not that it doesn’t exist. I just haven’t been exposed to it personally.

And really it’s just personal preference. You are free to do it however works best for you and your situation. :-)

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
D4FAA1C7 1448 4893 90AB D8C760FC1228
E790B1EF DAF9 42A3 985C 29A092AD693C

And I’m sure there’s others on 18/6 with even more impressive root structures. So this really doesn’t prove one thing or another. These are just two random plants I grabbed that are in 24/0.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
4F295D3F 5ED3 4559 8394 5B4FDD502391
59050045 2A19 40DD 940E 51FE9686E0FD

These two pics were taken 24 hours apart. I started it from seed. And it was a selfed seed at that on a 24/0 light schedule. Check my grow diary or my Instagram feed. I show this seedling going to the first pic to a practically full grown plant in one week. It’s Cali-O feminized (selfed).

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
9A781AED D28D 449C AD28 953183C73D1A

Same plant 7 days from the first pic above.

Not trying to hijack your thread or anything. Just figured I’d post the results I’ve had recently with one of my plants.

But again it’s all personal preference.

Last edited:
SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

My plants have never suffered from lack of roots.

Not saying you’re wrong or anything.

Roots can’t tell wether it’s light or dark out.

Imo roots search for moisture and food.

One of the reasons hydroponics grows the plants so quickly is because they don’t need to search for moisture or food. The food is there ready for them to uptake and metabolize.

It’s been debated for a very long time. Even in the early 2000s when I started it was a hotly debated topic.

I simply chose to believe that darkness wasn’t needed and went that route and it’s worked out well for me.

There’s an argument that having darkness saves electricity which is true but imo it also sacrifices growth.

There’s an argument that plants need to rest. And I’ve yet to see any real proof of that. Not that it doesn’t exist. I just haven’t been exposed to it personally.

And really it’s just personal preference. You are free to do it however works best for you and your situation. :)
For sure bro. You can really go either way. I was mainly concerned with clones tho and how fast they root. I suppose that doesn't really matter for me anyway tho. I probably need to slow down really. I will need room to veg all them clones for the entire time I am flowering the others. That's a long time. I only vegged 6 weeks last time.

For sure tho, I veg 18/6 mainly to save electricity. But I think 24/0 would keep them more compact from what I hear. Not sure how true that is.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

View attachment 845484

Same plant 7 days from the first pic above.

Not trying to hijack your thread or anything. Just figured I’d post the results I’ve had recently with one of my plants.

But again it’s all personal preference.
Hey, it looked like you have the same cloner. Do you change the water out? and what pH? Lower, cuz it's hydro?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
For sure bro. You can really go either way. I was mainly concerned with clones tho and how fast they root. I suppose that doesn't really matter for me anyway tho. I probably need to slow down really. I will need room to veg all them clones for the entire time I am flowering the others. That's a long time. I only vegged 6 weeks last time.

For sure tho, I veg 18/6 mainly to save electricity. But I think 24/0 would keep them more compact from what I hear. Not sure how true that is.

Imo compactness is more of a product of distance from the light source or how many photons they are getting. The more light they receive the less they stretch. Some folks like stretched out plants.

I’ve got a buddy that does that. I don’t personally. I’d rather have solid buds running the full length of the branch if possible. Rather than spacing in between them.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey, it looked like you have the same cloner. Do you change the water out? and what pH? Lower, cuz it's hydro?

I change the water maybe once a week to 10 days. Depends. I like to feel the sides. If they feel squeaky clean then I let it go longer. Tap water. Around 7 ph. Don’t lower it, it won’t make a difference until they are feeding off it. The reason you lower the ph in hydroponics is due to nutrient uptake. When cloning they really aren’t getting much of anything from the water except moisture.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

I change the water maybe once a week to 10 days. Depends. I like to feel the sides. If they feel squeaky clean then I let it go longer. Tap water. Around 7 ph. Don’t lower it, it won’t make a difference until they are feeding off it. The reason you lower the ph in hydroponics is due to nutrient uptake. When cloning they really aren’t getting much of anything from the water except moisture.
Cool, thanks bro.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter

These come in handy. About a 1/8 tsp of the vitamin b in the water and dip your cuttings in clonex before putting them into the cloner.

Another tip is to trim the inside of the foam so they don’t pinch your cuttings.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey bro, have you ever put your cuttings straight in the cloner on 12/12 to determine sex faster? Would that work?

Yes I’ve done that. Well not into the Cloner as I’ve always got cuts going. But into a solo cup filled with water. Yeah it takes about a week to 10 days and you should see some signs of sex.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Yes I’ve done that. Well not into the Cloner as I’ve always got cuts going. But into a solo cup filled with water. Yeah it takes about a week to 10 days and you should see some signs of sex.
Hell yea, I think that would be more beneficial for me at this point. Then I can kick out the males and know what I'm working with. It's difficult figuring out all this stuff without experience. I want things to time out right to get it going perpetually, and i want to utilize all my space this time too. I want to conserve my soil. But it's difficult to get going when you gotta find which ones are male.

I hope things will run smoothly when I find a couple keepers and just start from clones. A lot less guesswork involved.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

So today I walk in and see this. The spots on the leaves. Wasn't like this at all yesterday... Any ideas?
IMG 20181207 175536753

Latest posts

Top Bottom